OurLads' UPDATED Starting 2022 Jets Lineup

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It's interesting that they list 5 DBs and 2 lb as a base defense. It's accurate because the Jets have all these corner options (after sauce pick) and also don't have a starting quality 3rd lb 

that better change today

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Injuries aside, completely agree.

He doesn't need to be all-pro - but there's a real roster around him - and he should show noticeable growth.

Have seen so many QBs come and go with the Jets, and even if you look at Darnold, he was never really set up for success as he was developing here.  He may be a bust, but to properly evaluate a QB you have to have pieces around him.  This is the first young QB since Sanchez who has had that.  The plus is you'll know what you got with Zach by the end of this year.  Another plus is that a veteran can easily step into this roster and make it a borderline playoff team.  People write off Flacco, but I think with solid protection, he gets the ball out quick.  And he will make plays.   The cupboard is no longer bare.

• Upvote 3

Yes, this makes it clear that SAM is the biggest hole remaining on the roster.  

Depth at OT is also a concern.

A big RB and a young TE to develop would be nice also, but really, this is a dramatically different roster than we put on the field at the end of last season.  By my glance, we have upgraded 7 positions and if we get Lawson and Becton back healthy, that will make 9.  Almost half of the starting roster.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Have seen so many QBs come and go with the Jets, and even if you look at Darnold, he was never really set up for success as he was developing here.  He may be a bust, but to properly evaluate a QB you have to have pieces around him.  This is the first young QB since Sanchez who has had that.  The plus is you'll know what you got with Zach by the end of this year.  Another plus is that a veteran can easily step into this roster and make it a borderline playoff team.  People write off Flacco, but I think with solid protection, he gets the ball out quick.  And he will make plays.   The cupboard is no longer bare.

Agree...

Would really love to see them take a RB at 38 - I don't get the sense JD will...but I feel like for Wilson and this O - Breece Hall would be scary.

28 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Without splitting hairs over the actual/nominal position title, it seems doubtful that Wesco starts over Conklin.

Would like to see a LB and another RB. Wouldn’t cry if they added a run stuffing DT.

OL can wait until round 4 or even 5 given the unusual number of veterans still unsigned (and yeah they should sign one, which should be that much easier by the number of tackles taken thus far plus upcoming).

They’ve got 12 players in the starting lineup, lol. I agree, I’m sure Conklin will see the field a lot more than Wesco. 

• Upvote 1

On paper this roster is competitive, dare I say even good in certain areas with the potential to be good/great in others. A suddenly very deep group of corners, a dline that should be able to get to bring pressure from each position, a solidified oline with potential to be great if Becton rebounds and AVT builds on his rookie year, and a nice mix at the skill positions of young players with exciting upside and above average vets who should be in/hitting their prime.

Still some glaring weaknesses, notably LB outside of Mosley, S outside of Whitehead, and OL depth, but if they stay reasonably healthy for once there’s enough there to finally play an exciting, competitive brand of football for the first time since forever. It all comes to down to Zach.

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Not sure Rankins will start over JFM, but likely a rotation, knowing Saleh's preferences.

Not sure Moore will be slot exclusive, I could see him and Wilson both playing hybrid X/Y/Slot depending on matchups, a good thing.  With Berrios is the trickster RB/WR hybrid Deebo role (not nearly as good, of course).

Sauce/Reed/Hall/Echols should definitely be better than Hall/Echols/Carter/Guidry.  On paper that is a massive upgrade for the Defense.

As would be Lawson/Johnson II.

Just need one very good LB and maybe a Safety, and the D is nearly fully transformed.

Offense needs a #1A RB to pair with very solid #1B Carter.  That's MY personal top need IMO.  To help Wilson.

And a depth Tackle, of which several will be available late in the draft I think.

All good so far, bring on Day 2.

And to be 100% clear, the REBUILD PHASE IS OVER after this draft. 

That excuse is history.  We ARE "rebuilt" now.  This is 100% JD's roster.

The other "need" to be addressed is a study getting made as to WHY it is that year in and year out the Jets seem to always have such a high rate of attrition, being one of the most decimated teams when it comes to losing players to injuries.?  

Why?

Is it the turf they play and practice on?

Is it the area they have their stadiums have been built on?

What's IN that soil there in the "swamps of Jersey"? 

Is it all about PT and the wrong kind of treatment being given to the players?

Is it the training Staff?

From watching this team for all these years the ones when there are only 1 or 2 guys banged up in December these are the teams that make noise in the playoffs. Those 2 Rex years was a perfect case in point. from November on the Out, and Doubtful  list was very small.

I really hope we can get some of the writers to ask these kind of questions to Johnson and Johnson and to Douglas, Saleh, and the rest of his coaching staff.

We all watched some of those late-November and December games when the Jets receiving corps was made up of guys who had never played in a pro game before.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

The other "need" to be addressed is a study getting made as to WHY....the Jets.....being one of the most decimated teams when it comes to losing players to injuries?

100% agreed.  It's been too consistent for too long to be just bad luck.

24 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I was not happy with the initial choices.  But they’re good players and Jets now.  
loved the JJ move.   

Sauce considered the best CB in the draft. Wilson compared to - get this - Lynn Swan by one football analyst. What’s not to like. 

• Upvote 1

Jets took a hard look at Marcus Williams this offseason. I think they had real plans to purge away from last year's starting DB unit. 

Will be interesting to see if they aquire another S being that Whitehead is on a short term deal. 

Sherwood started last year. But admittedly he's not that good of a prospect to feel excited about his return after tearing his Achilles.

3 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

760560487_ScreenShot2022-04-29at9_13_18AM.thumb.jpeg.1340d258daa919f514e92e37965403f4.jpeg

Swap Becton and Fant, remove Wesco, upgrade from Quincy Wiliams (who I like), upgrade from Ahtyn Davis (who I don't like), take into account JFM and Bryce Huff rotating in on the DL, and Hall, Echols, Pinnock rotating in the backfield, and Berrios as the 4th WR, and this roster ain't looking half bad on paper.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, varjet said:

Ashtyn Davis can’t start at FS.  

There is at least a little competition there. Maybe Hall gets some reps there too. It's not the end of the world. I'll say this, a FS as we know is more final peice than building block. If Cine or Dax didnt go off the board end of round 1 they wouldve been targets, but I dont see any FS worth it. If I'm JD, I get a LB like Muma that can start on the outside but take over for Mosely next year. Maybe another DT/Edge. Let the D develop and improve this year and target a FS early next year to finish it out. 

• Upvote 1

Becton probably going to play RT, which should insanely improve our running game... AVT and Becton lol. 

For DL: listed starters really don't matter in this defense; everyone plays a lot. If healthy, the top 4 guys in terms of snap counts will be Quinnen Williams, John Franklin-Myers, Carl Lawson, and Jermaine Johnson. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1