This changes things…

I’m still disappointed with 6 wins and think 7 shows progress against the tough schedule.  That’s still the expectation for me.  

But every season teams take a huge leap forward…

If this pass rush and DBs mix… If the D is creating turnovers… If Garrett Wilson can contribute season 1… If Zach picks up where he left off and added something to his game over the summer… If the OLine can create a run game when everyone knows it’s coming… 

The word has to be said as a real possibility even though it’s scary: 

P L A * *F F S 

And if not, but the last 2 seasons draft picks are developing, they will get there soon.  It’s tough not to love the direction of the team! 

(EDIT: Playoffs is so scary it needs to be censored, but if the magic happens…) 

1 minute ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I’m still disappointed with 6 wins and think 7 shows progress against the tough schedule.  That’s still the expectation for me.  

If this pass rush and DBs mix… If the D is creating turnovers… If Garrett Wilson can contribute season 1… If Zach picks up where he left off and added something to his game over the summer… If the OLine can create a run game when everyone knows it’s coming… 

P L A * *F F S 

And if not, but the last 2 seasons draft picks are developing, they will get there soon.  It’s tough not to love the direction of the team! 

Best case you’re right. Worst case this thread will have real staying power!

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

P L A * *F F S 

Could it be a possibility?  Sure.  But lets not forget the 2022 NYJ will be the youngest football team in the nfl and start more rookies then any other team in the nfl.

This year is about learning how to close out games and get a W.  If they figure out how to do that early, they could surprise this year.

But usually, you learn how to win games by losing a few.  So Im expecting 6-9 wins this year.

But next year my friends.  Thats been the plan all along.  2023 was circled on Douglas's and Saleh's calendar as the year this team explodes onto the scene.

Get ready jet fans.  Its happening!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

We have to at least split with the Dolphins and Patriots to approach .500.  

The focus on the secondary and EDGE goes a long way to be competitive with the Dolphins.  

We need to pick a RB and LB today to beat the Patriots. 

We will beat both of their asses!  The dolphins are finishing last in the division and the pats are not the same anymore.

My expectations are higher after this first round.

The three guys we got are immediate contributors. They’re polished.

I’m a big believe in Zach Wilson. So for me, I think we will be playing meaningful games in December. Im not expecting playoff games though.

Elijah Moore was coming into his own as an outside WR. Now you add Garrett Wilson in the slot and his ability create separation… Guys will be open. Plus Wilson adds a guy who we can use in the screen game since he is very good after the catch.

I’m really optimistic. Hopefully it all works out. This time of year is usually filled with optimism only to be let down during the season.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

My expectations are higher after this first round.

The three guys we got are immediate contributors. They’re polished.

I’m a big believe in Zach Wilson. So for me, I think we will be playing meaningful games in December. Im not expecting playoff games though.

Elijah Moore was coming into his own as an outside WR. Now you add Garrett Wilson in the slot and his ability create separation… Guys will be open. Plus Wilson adds a guy who we can use in the screen game since he is very good after the catch.

I’m really optimistic. Hopefully it all works out. This time of year is usually filled with optimism only to be let down during the season.

I think it’s less likely to make the playoffs.  They are a much more dangerous team now and I can see it possibly coming together.  

The young players development is still the real deal, but it’s nice to be stoked again! 

• Upvote 1

If you're expecting playoffs this season, you will be disappointed. The AFC is going to be extremely good. We're going up against the normal teams, plus Miami, Denver, Las Vegas, Browns, Ravens, and Chargers for playoff spots. Patriots didn't get much worse, so chances of getting even wildcard next year is low.

Expect the Jets to not make the playoffs this year and you will either be right or pleasantly surprised.

I'm sticking with being "in the hunt" as the expectation for this year. A very tough schedule and too many rookies/sophmores. But you have to love the direction. If you compare the roster of today with a couple of seasons ago, it's night and day. 7-9 wins would be a big step forward and put us within reach of the playoffs after one more good offseason. 

3 hours ago, varjet said:

We have to at least split with the Dolphins and Patriots to approach .500.  

The focus on the secondary and EDGE goes a long way to be competitive with the Dolphins.  

We need to pick a RB and LB today to beat the Patriots. 

We should be able to SWEEP the Fins and split with the Pats. Tua, with all the new additions, still sucks. And Matt Jones is a pea shooter aka Pennington. Doesn’t scare me a bit. We’ve upgraded considerably. Sauce, Reed, Joyner, Whitehead, Mosley, QW, Nakobe/Muma/Harris/ Andersen/ Smith ?, QW, Lawson JFM, JJ.  That’s 7 new starters on defense. SEVEN!!! That’s insane!!! And all are upgrades. The defense is going to be light years better. We have a new flash WR. He can’t dress for sheet but he’s been compared to Lynn Swann ? Holy moly! And there’s more coming day 2 of NFL draft. Can’t wait!

For me...the 2022 season is simply establishing Zach Wilson as FQB NYJ.  ZW needs to run an efficient offense and put way more points on the scoreboard...regardless of the W-L outcome.   Can he go from 9 TDs tossed and 11 picks to 25 TDs and just 8 picks over the course of a 17 game season? 

IMO...yes he can.  The weapons are there.  And the starting OL will have two new additions in Becton and Tomlinson.  Jets can run the ball way more effectively with these two hogs on the OL.  And play action for ZW will be fun to watch this season.

ZW is the key to Jets future success.  He has the arm talent and mobility to be that QB to lead Jets to multiple playoff runs.  Those playoffs may not start this year.  But with ZW as FQB...they will come soon...in bunches.

• Upvote 1

Health is everything here. This past season I felt the Jets could've won 7+ games if they could just stay on the field. That didn't happen in any capacity. Stay healthy and I think the same this year - the Jets could 100% be in the conversation for a wildcard spot

• Upvote 1

As many are saying...

This team if mostly health SHOULD be competing for a playoff spot.  

The NFL is a funny thing like that - I know it's hard to see because of what we had last year - but that's the way this league works..

It's not just the new players (and we've added some good ones) but it's rookies - becoming second year guys and second year guys becoming vets.

• Sympathy 1