What if…..

Maynard13

I think Houston taking Stingley 3rd overall is mind boggling and opened the door for us to have a grear draft.  Huat knowing we had the choice of Gardner and Thibs makes me feel better about taking the CB as opposed to feeling like we were forced to take him. 

Stingley might turn out to be great but the process of taking a guy who missed most of last season with a serious foot injury and who’s best football was 3 years ago was faulty.   Nice that it was to our direct benefit one pick latter. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Had the Texans taken Sauce at 3, then I feel like the pick would have been either Thibs or Ekwonu at 4.

Thibs?  But JD passed on Thibs for Sauce which gives me the impression he wanted nothing to do with him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

I think Houston taking Stingley 3rd overall is mind boggling and opened the door for us to have a grear draft.  Huat knowing we had the choice of Gardner and Thibs makes me feel better about taking the CB as opposed to feeling like we were forced to take him. 

Stingley might turn out to be great but the process of taking a guy who missed most of last season with a serious foot injury and who’s best football was 3 years ago was faulty.   Nice that it was to our direct benefit one pick latter. 

Bingo. This guy gets it. It’s the moment the draft was turned upside down on its head and what we needed to happen for a historic 1st round draft.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

I liked the picks but it’s generally wise to let them play before calling it the greatest draft in history 

Those are not the rules and you know it .

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, sciond said:

This gave me a headache

Ok now I’m gonna give you a migraine. What if….Sauce goes to Texans. Does JD take Ekwonu? Thibs? Stingley? Neal? JJ? 

ps - there’s some revolutionary migraine meds on market now! 

• Haha 1

I think GMs saw this draft differently then the media and fans the edges like Thibs, JJ, and Karlaftis were overvalued as was this draft class and the WRs undervalued.   GMs also care about character and chemistry which the media gets mad if you even talk about.

18 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think if Sauce goes 3 we take Icky.

I think if Wilson goes 8 we take London.

Total speculation of course, but that's kind of what I'd think based on how it broke down. Wouldn't have been shocked if we took JJ at ten either.

Nah I don’t think OL or London were on JD’s draft chart. The proposed Hill trade and looking into Deebo showed JD wanted a speedster not a possession type WR. JD was looking at speed at WR and edge and CB which is exactly what he pulled off. Amazin.

4 minutes ago, slats said:

A couple of us were talking about the Jets taking their WR at #4 because there was gonna be a run on them. If London was their top guy, oh well, I’m pretty content with Sauce and Wilson. That run was not surprising to me at all. The league went crazy over WRs this year. 

I’d almost think you’re right here. Many would have complained that Wilson at 4 would have been a reach. But you have to make a pick if your guy is off the board and he’s not enamored with Thibs.  

#4 Wilson

#10 ????? Who the heck knows 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, slats said:

A couple of us were talking about the Jets taking their WR at #4 because there was gonna be a run on them. If London was their top guy, oh well, I’m pretty content with Sauce and Wilson. That run was not surprising to me at all. The league went crazy over WRs this year. 

I'm generalizing but I mostly saw guys saying wait till the 2nd to go WR and take a edge like Thibs, Karlaftis, or JJ at 4 or 10....thankfully we didn't do that the value was actually the opposite. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, undertow said:

I'm generalizing but I mostly saw guys saying wait till the 2nd to go WR and take a edge like Karlaftis or JJ at 10....thankfully we didn't do that the value was actually the opposite. 

Lol, a lot of talk like that from the First Church of the Holy Offensive Line. So glad the people so sure that JD had to have another, and that Becton was on his way out, were dead wrong. 

I knew the Jets liked JJ, but I really didn’t. Certainly not at #4. Really hope I was wrong. Can’t fault the value where they did get him. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, undertow said:

I'm generalizing but I mostly saw guys saying wait till the 2nd to go WR and take a edge like Thibs, Karlaftis, or JJ at 4 or 10....thankfully we didn't do that the value was actually the opposite. 

This is exactly what I thought we would do.  I expected Sauce at 4, edge at 10 and then offense on day 2.  Glad JD is running the show and not me.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

This is exactly what I thought we would do.  I expected Sauce at 4, edge at 10 and then offense on day 2.  Glad JD is running the show and not me.  

I think fans were higher on Karlaftis, JJ, and Thibs then the league was I also think this group of WRs is better then was advertised people were just obsessed that there was no Jamarr Chase.   Who knows we will see how it pans out. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Would have been Ekwonu. They never wanted Thibs. 

Yup.  I wanted Thibs but, by all accounts, he wasn't high on the Jets' board and they had JJ rated higher than him at edge.

14 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agree on the WRs.  I think the $25M+ annual contracts to WRs led to the early run.  I am not suprised by 6 WRs going in the first round, but I am surprised they went top 18.  I did not expect us to take a WR at 10, thought we would wait for round 2, but given the run, I am happy we grabbed Wilson when we had the chance.

Absolutely.  Not sure if JD predicted the run on WRs, or if he started the run on WRs, but he took his guy at exactly the right time. Had he waited until round 2, or even tried to trade up like he did for JJ, he would have been left with far fewer options at WR.

The fact that the guy he took at 10 also happens to be, in my opinion, the best WR in the draft is the icing on the cake.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

i will never understand when you want to get the best WR to help your 2nd year QB why you would wait for rd 2 to get one. especially when you pick high enough to get the top WR in college. 

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

The improbable, implausible twists and turns resulted in the best round 1 in Jets history.  It started at the top with Jags taking Walker, followed by Hutch to the Lions. Then the moments where it hits the twilight zone:

A )Texans take Darell Stingley at 3. 😳 OMG and leave us with a choice of Thibs or Sauce. Totally unexpected and bizzare. JD gets his man in Sauce and doesn’t look back. 

b) Falcons bypass Williams and Wilson and take London at 8. Thank you Atlanta Thank you. This dude is like pouring molasses. 

C) Wilson drops into our lap as JD refuses to part with 10 for Deebo. Great move JD. And then like 10 WR speedsters follow as they are all terrified they will miss out on one causing JJ to drop. 

D) the draft unfolds. JD is eating burgers 🍔 🍔 🍔 🍔 and chilling thinking we’ve had a great 1st round. To his astonishment, JJ falls, falls, falls, falls. JD can’t help himself and pulls off a brilliant trade and grabs JJ for a 3rd 1st round pick WOW!  Just fantastic, amazing, wonderful.

Now, what if….. the Texans took Sauce at 3. Does JD take Stingley at 4? If the Falcons take Wilson at 8, what does JD go at 10? If JJ goes way earlier than 26, does JD pull off a trade to get back into round 1? The Stingley pick totally threw this draft into an alternate universe. Can’t even begin to think what out draft picks would look like if Sauce goes #3 to Texans. 

What kind of burger?

• Haha 2