1 Common Theme About JD's Draft Picks ...

Interesting on that "trying for the past hour" comment ... suggests that they were looking to trade up to at least 23, maybe even higher. Baltimore, Dallas, Buffalo (?), possibly Green Bay. None of them traded with us, so presumably were happy with "their guy" and / or didn't want to trade back that far. Buffalo I understand the most, they traded up as it is; Baltimore clearly wanted Linda and knew he'd be gone by 35. Dallas could possibly still have got their guy at 35 but I guess they weren't sure so played it safe.

EDIT - based on the Jimmy Johnson trade chart we did slightly overpay to trade up, to he tune of the 5th round pick that we sent over. But I can fully see that as being worth it to get the guy you wanted. I'm sure JD will recoup that 5th at some point on Day 2 / 3.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, jetsons said:

They ALL put the Team 1st... They are ALL Team oriented, wanting to be a Good Teammate... No I/ME... ALL Team... Hopefully they build a Great Nucleus which translates into Multiple Super Bowl Championships...

Just listen to their post draft interviews...

Not the most polished speakers but they are young and surely nervous. They each seem like good kids. They’ll be easy to root for. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Interesting on that "trying for the past hour" comment ... suggests that they were looking to trade up to at least 23, maybe even higher. Baltimore, Dallas, Buffalo (?), possibly Green Bay. None of them traded with us, so presumably were happy with "their guy" and / or didn't want to trade back that far. Buffalo I understand the most, they traded up as it is; Baltimore clearly wanted Linda and knew he'd be gone by 35. Dallas could possibly still have got their guy at 35 but I guess they weren't sure so played it safe.

EDIT - based on the Jimmy Johnson trade chart we did slightly overpay to trade up, to he tune of the 5th round pick that we sent over. But I can fully see that as being worth it to get the guy you wanted. I'm sure JD will recoup that 5th at some point on Day 2 / 3.

In Joe D’s and Saleh’s presser, they said they were calling teams starting with pick 15. 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, jetsons said:

They ALL put the Team 1st... They are ALL Team oriented, wanting to be a Good Teammate... No I/ME... ALL Team... Hopefully they build a Great Nucleus which translates into Multiple Super Bowl Championships...

Just listen to their post draft interviews...

“Intrinsic motivation”

-Sauce

Love this kid! 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

16 minutes ago, jetsons said:

JD is quoted as saying they were trying to trade for JJ since #15 but weren't able to find a dance partner until 26...

Thus... his reaction... ?

heard the same thing.  they asked how many of the teams between 15 and 26 did you call about a trade and he said "all of them."  Glad the guys at 15,16, and 17 all said no that's for sure!

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

In contrast I watched an interview with Thibodeaux. This guy is pretty full of himself and will be a problem. You watch. 

Yeah, I mean he sounds like he does bring drama everywhere he goes but to be honest its very much TBD whether or not it will be detrimental to the team. Could be completely innocent and players might still like him. The NFL is full of drama queens. He seems to be a hard worker, says he is all in and will 'work non stop', etc. Nothing on the field suggests otherwise. So, to me, its TBD on KT with the drama stuff. For the Giants, getting KT and Neal was a coup. NYJ and NYG seem to be the big winners of the draft so far. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

Yeah, I mean he sounds like he does bring drama everywhere he goes but to be honest its very much TBD whether or not it will be detrimental to the team. Could be completely innocent and players might still like him. The NFL is full of drama queens. He seems to be a hard worker, says he is all in and will 'work non stop', etc. Nothing on the field suggests otherwise. So, to me, its TBD on KT with the drama stuff. For the Giants, getting KT and Neal was a coup. NYJ and NYG seem to be the big winners of the draft so far. 

Yes, definitely TBD. He could be a great pick but the guy still gives me Jamal Adams vibes. We will see. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

In contrast I watched an interview with Thibodeaux. This guy is pretty full of himself and will be a problem. You watch. 

I didn't watch a lot of his interviews pre-draft, only one or two, and definitely wanted him at 4 but hearing him talk throughout yesterday, I was pretty turned off. Glad we don't have to hear him talk every week but I wish he went further away.

• Upvote 1

People got all mad and triggered because Thibs was taking character hits but it certainly played a big part in him not being selected by the Jets...all you have to do is watch the individual interviews after the draft....not saying Thibs is a bad guy but he definitely gives me Jamal Adams vibes as do all the WRs who have demanded trades.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, undertow said:

People got all mad and triggered because Thibs was taking a character hits but it certainly played a big part in him not being selected by the Jets...all you have to do is watch the individual interviews after the draft....not saying Thibs is a bad guy but he definitely gives me Jamal Adams vibes as do all the WRs who have demanded trades.

Yeah I was both bummed and relieved when we didn't take him and though I was overall happy with Sauce/Wilson it bothered me we didn't get an EDGE and then JJ fell to 26 and it was absolute perfection.  JD deserves a ton of credit to seize the opportunity that luck presented.  

All the permutations to work out how they did; we take CB at 4 passing on Thibs, we don't trade for Deebo or AJ Brown and instead take Wilson (who we have cheap for 5 years), we start a big run on wideouts meaning we wouldn't have gotten one in round 2 and then the one position we needed badly and passed on at 4 and 10 falls to 26 who is a top 8 player for us... I mean it literally couldn't have gone any better the way the board fell in all 3 spots. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Yeah I was both bummed and relieved when we didn't take him and though I was overall happy with Sauce/Wilson it bothered me we didn't get an EDGE and then JJ fell to 26 and it was absolute perfection.  JD deserves a ton of credit to seize the opportunity that luck presented.  

All the permutations to work out how they did; we take CB at 4 passing on Thibs, we don't trade for Deebo or AJ Brown and instead take Wilson (who we have cheap for 5 years), we start a big run on wideouts meaning we wouldn't have gotten one in round 2 and then the one position we needed badly and passed on at 4 and 10 falls to 26 who is a top 8 player for us... I mean it literally couldn't have gone any better the way the board fell in all 3 spots. 

That's the way I felt also...I want a 20 sack guy also but don't really want another Adams on the team not only do I think it's bad for team building and chemistry it's also just annoying. lol  I also think Edge was overvalued in this draft not a Karlaftis guy and JJ fell for some reason....Hutch, Thibs, and Walker also aren't Bosa or Garrett type prospects....we will see tho.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jetsons said:

JD is quoted as saying they were trying to trade for JJ since #15 but weren't able to find a dance partner until 26...

Thus... his reaction... ?

I can watch that "F'ck Yeah!" over and over and over.

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Sauce seems like a great personality. Cocky in the right ways and was by all accounts an amazing teammate in college. They seem like they’ll all easily buy in and it was probably what worried them off Thibodeaux.

I think this is more a reflection on Saleh than Douglas tbh.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

J-E-T-S Jets Jets jets 

- J.J

Love this kid too

Not for nothing these are three of the most likable and intelligent young men anyone can hope to root for! Thank you Joe Douglas, thank you. Wonderful young men! 

I just said this in another thread, but if the Joe D. / Saleh plan actually does turn us into perennial contenders, a significant part of the reason why will be because the positive culture they created chased the dark clouds away.  The "Same Old Jets" depressive mindset is a real thing, and our GM, Head Coach, and young players like these guys (and AVT, Elijah Moore, and especially MC1), who are not only really talented, but also positive good dudes give you hope that the sun is finally bursting through.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I see JD’s pattern as;

Consistent production, consistently healthy, and athletic.

He learned from his mistakes.  No injured, no 1 year wow guys, no obvious projects early, and no JAG athletic profiles a la La’Mical Perine…

I think JD was subtly different in this draft in that they selected players with higher floors and less projected performance

• Upvote 1