LB, S and OL

These were all positions that I think people maybe preferred at 36.  But in my opinion there are reasons we didn’t go this way;

LB- we often only line up 2 lbs in our scheme and we have2 guys we drafted last year that we weee high on In addition to Q and CJ.  Not really needed

S - with adding 2 cbs, Michael carter moves to S.  We also added whitehead.  Therefore we have added 2 S already this off season essentially 

ol - this is the one position I would have been ok with just to have a swing T on the bench as a hedge. But I think we can fill this in round 3.  A need in this draft but not a high need.

I actually think our rb room was the weakest room on the team.  Most teams should have two good backs and we had one.  Now all of a sudden it’s a deep and talented position for us.  Douglas has made almost every Position deeper and more talented 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

This team is in desperate need of lb’s.  Great draft so far but the lb’s are terrible. 

Dont forget Sherwood and Nasrildeen were drafted last year to be ready to play linebacker this year.  If they put on weight and got acclimated to the position over the offseason, they could pop this year.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Dont forget Sherwood and Nasrildeen were drafted last year to be ready to play linebacker this year.  If they put on weight and got acclimated to the position over the offseason, they could pop this year.

That was my point of the 2 lbs they are high on. If you also include Quincy Williams abs the fact they are often only lining up 2 lbs, not sure I would have used a pick this early on LB. 

1 minute ago, AlexVanDyke said:

That was my point of the 2 lbs they are high on. If you also include Quincy Williams abs the fact they are often only lining up 2 lbs, not sure I would have used a pick this early on LB. 

Yes.  Joe might go swing tackle, safety and lb to finish off this draft.  I think we are in for a treat at 101.  Joe has something cooking.

I think fans overstated those positions as needs. The OL is above average right now. They brought in a free agent S & CB, and took the top CB in the draft. Secondary isn’t a concern. Mosley generally doesn’t have a lot of company on the field, and Quincy played well when he was. They have the kids for the Will. Overall, the defense has been well upgraded, even if LB hasn’t been addressed. I’d bet they hit it in the mini-draft if they feel the need. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yes.  Joe might go swing tackle, safety and lb to finish off this draft.  I think we are in for a treat at 101.  Joe has something cooking.

Not unless he can slow down time, speed up the harvest, or teleport me off this rock....

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, slats said:

I think fans overstated those positions as needs. The OL is above average right now. They brought in a free agent S & CB, and took the top CB in the draft. Secondary isn’t a concern. Mosley generally doesn’t have a lot of company on the field, and Quincy played well when he was. They have the kids for the Will. Overall, the defense has been well upgraded, even if LB hasn’t been addressed. I’d bet they hit it in the mini-draft if they feel the need. 

Watching our LBs last year was difficult.  I truly believe it’s a need, at least 1 additional starting caliber one unless Joe D and Saleh have seen something in last year’s rookies that many of us didn’t.  Covering TEs, RB screens, and filling running lanes was a HIGE disaster last year.

Becton is a question mark.  We need a capable third tackle as insurance.  Maybe this comes from remaining FA.

With you on safeties.  

1 hour ago, AlexVanDyke said:

These were all positions that I think people maybe preferred at 36.  But in my opinion there are reasons we didn’t go this way;

LB- we often only line up 2 lbs in our scheme and we have2 guys we drafted last year that we weee high on In addition to Q and CJ.  Not really needed

S - with adding 2 cbs, Michael carter moves to S.  We also added whitehead.  Therefore we have added 2 S already this off season essentially 

ol - this is the one position I would have been ok with just to have a swing T on the bench as a hedge. But I think we can fill this in round 3.  A need in this draft but not a high need.

I actually think our rb room was the weakest room on the team.  Most teams should have two good backs and we had one.  Now all of a sudden it’s a deep and talented position for us.  Douglas has made almost every Position deeper and more talented 

I think the Jets had no choice but to go get Breece Hall.  Easily the best running back in the draft, available at #36.  I stated in another thread that the Jets needed a quality running back to go along with Michael Carter, and the Jets got their guy.  You are not wrong saying that the rb room was the weakest on the team.  If you're going to have a strong offensive line, then you waste that OL if you don't have enough quality backs to block for.  The Jets running game is open for business.

Now, the Jets got the best running back, best wide receiver and best cornerback in the draft, to go along with a top 10 edge in J Johnson.  I think I will take it!

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Alka said:

I think the Jets had no choice but to go get Breece Hall.  Easily the best running back in the draft, available at #36.  I stated in another thread that the Jets needed a quality running back to go along with Michael Carter, and the Jets got their guy.  You are not wrong saying that the rb room was the weakest on the team.  If you're going to have a strong offensive line, then you waste that OL if you don't have enough quality backs to block for.  The Jets running game is open for business.

Now, the Jets got the best running back, best wide receiver and best cornerback in the draft, to go along with a top 10 edge in J Johnson.  I think I will take it!

Pretty amazing to think they got 4  starters in this draft.  In free agency they probably got another 4. If you include bechton and Lawson coming back, that’s 10 new starters and most of the guys they are replacing provide some real quality depth.  We actually have a legit formidable roster 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, slats said:

They brought Kwon Alexander for a FA visit a couple of weeks ago.  I wonder if they’ll sign him now for depth or more, if he can still play.  He’ll only be 28 when the season starts.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, varjet said:

After the draft the Jets should sign veterans to improve depth at safety, LB and OL

Exactly.  There's still money and plenty of quality FA's available.

This isn't the Jets or JD from two years ago - He was saving and cleaning up a mess two years ago.  He's building a winner now.  I have doubt he would be willing to sign the one year vet rental to fill holes or upgrade the position.

There will be no holes on this roster before the season starts.

19 hours ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Pretty amazing to think they got 4  starters in this draft.  In free agency they probably got another 4. If you include bechton and Lawson coming back, that’s 10 new starters and most of the guys they are replacing provide some real quality depth.  We actually have a legit formidable roster 

Let's not forget about Lamarcus Joyner!  Injured on September 17th, and out for the season.  You can count him as 11 new starters.