FINALLY, I WIN. RUCKERT.

Bleacher Report had him as TE 1:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10033661-jeremy-ruckert-nfl-draft-2022-scouting-report-for-new-york-jets-te

OVERALL

Jeremy Ruckert aligned both in-line and split out in Ohio State's offense, and he projects as a three-down Y tight end in the NFL thanks to his blocking ability and overall athleticism. 

Ruckert is a willing blocker who has good play strength to hold his own when blocking edge-defenders from in-line positions. He has a mean streak and loves to try to bury smaller defenders once he gets his hands on them, but his eagerness will cause him to lose technique with his blocks. That's especially the case on blocks working across the formation, when he will go for kill shots that will cause him to miss completely. He also shows the ability to win when asked to pass-set on play-action concepts.

Ruckert is an adequate athlete who is more solid than dynamic in the passing game. He has good hands and catching range and is more than comfortable catching the ball in a crowd or away from his body. He's capable of making spectacular catches at times. 

Ruckert is not an overwhelming athlete, but he can sink and bend enough and understands how to fight for leverage on vertical routes. He also consistently stays friendly to the quarterback when working against zone coverage, knowing to not drift and stay within the throwing lane. However, his route tree is not varied at this point in time because Ohio State's offense prefers to utilize its talented wide receivers.

Overall, Ruckert projects as a Y tight end who can work from in-line positions as a blocker and receiver on running downs and stay on the field for every down. Offensive coordinators may never design plays for him, but they'll be fine if the ball does go his way as a secondary option in concepts. Ruckert's ability to hold his own as a blocker will give him a chance to see the field early in his NFL career, but he will need to continue working on consistency with his technique and play within himself.

GRADE: 7.6 (Potential Impact Player - 2nd Round)

OVERALL RANK: 51

POSITION RANK: TE1

PRO COMPARISON: Cameron Brate

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Personally I think this offense is being built to slow the game down for Zach, take the pressure off him so he can play without feeling he has to do it all. That’s exactly when he will be Most likely to do it all! Let’s hope Boss! 

I think this topic deserves its own thread but this is my opinion as well.  LaFleur is the happiest guy on earth right now as we are going to be able run a ridiculous amount of formations and should be able to create mismatches all over the field.  

We have 2 RBs who can catch.  3 TEs who can block and catch.  3 WRs who can get open down the field and then a true gadget slot WR in Berrios who can also carry the ball.   Really going to create problems for defenses.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Personally I think this offense is being built to slow the game down for Zach, take the pressure off him so he can play without feeling he has to do it all. That’s exactly when he will be Most likely to do it all! Let’s hope Boss! 

I think this was always JD's vision for this offense.  From the very beginning he talked about a big running game, bringing in road-grader type Ol, winning in the trenches..

So yes - this will surely help Zach Wilson - I just don't think it was an adjustment from the original plan.  Joe has been methodical in his approach - I doubt he changed it mid-season last year.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I think this topic deserves its own thread but this is my opinion as well.  LaFleur is the happiest guy on earth right now as we are going to be able run a ridiculous amount of formations and should be able to create mismatches all over the field.  

We have 2 RBs who can catch.  3 TEs who can block and catch.  3 WRs who can get open down the field and then a true gadget slot WR in Berrios who can also carry the ball.   Really going to create problems for defenses.

Yes, this is the most exciting thing for me.  They have speed and like 5 or 6 guys that can line up just about anywhere - and do a lot of different things.  ML is going to keep D's guessing....and with the speed on this team - if they guess wrong it can be 6.

31 minutes ago, BCJet said:

They do seem to have a plan, now they got to execute it. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think this was always JD's vision for this offense.  From the very beginning he talked about a big running game, bringing in road-grader type Ol, winning in the trenches..

So yes - this will surely help Zach Wilson - I just don't think it was an adjustment from the original plan.  Joe has been methodical in his approach - I doubt he changed it mid-season last year.

Also if Zach turns out to not be our guy seems Joe Douglas may have detached his wagon from him a bit. Might survive Zach, if Zach can’t be the guy. Personally I think he will. Probably. Hopefully. Please! 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Also if Zach turns out to not be our guy seems Joe Douglas may have detached his wagon from him a bit. Might survive Zach, if Zach can’t be the guy. Personally I think he will. Probably. Hopefully. Please! 

This is why I wanted a legitimately good backup brought it, which given the cap space we have would have been no problem at all. 

If Zach completely sh*ts the bed which he very well might then it’s going to be impossible to evaluate the rest of the team fairly. Elijah Moore for example was a lot better than Zach made him look early on last season. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

I think this is right.

I also think it's easier now for him to pull the plug on Zach.  The OL and Skill position group seem to be strong enough now that you can easily bring in old man Flacco to keep the team competitive and win games if Zach falls completely on his face.

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

It is kind of true. Not going to happen but this is a Chad Pennington kind of roster they are building. Would be enough in the old NFL. Big defense, safe high percentage offense. That isn't enough these days so hopefully Zach is up to taking this all to the next level.

It's a Jimmy Garoppolo offense and if Jimmy was a little better, they'd have two rings.

It's a good system that can win. 

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think this is right.

I also think it's easier now for him to pull the plug on Zach.  The OL and Skill position group seem to be strong enough now that you can easily bring in old man Flacco to keep the team competitive and win games if Zach falls completely on his face.

I agree. May I add, with the FA signings in the back end, plus drafting Sauce and JJ, and maybe a DT today and getting a  healthy Lawson back, it’s also time for Q to step up or he’ll be the next one to get shown the door.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

Took 15 years and the longest last 12 months. 

but my boy is coming home

159401DD-BD45-474C-AD69-5DFB2E3BA405.gif

Truly happy for you and not that this applies to Ruck

BUT 

Can we put together a list of the guys you were dying for?

I seem to rememberer most of them disappointing. 

9 hours ago, Larz said:

0D609138-C81A-46B8-9B49-6B8FDFC1186A.jpeg

Jets may actaully pass to a TE during real NFL: games, plus the defense will now practice against an offense that throws the ball to the TE; 

A WHOLE NEW WORLD!!!

Ruckert is a great story. Rooting for this kid . 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Absolutely. Ruckert comes in as TE #3, but he’ll see the field as a rookie as a blocker at the very least. If the team hadn’t added two TEs in free agency, we’d be pretty happy with him penciled in to start. Instead, he’s in a good place where he can be brought along more slowly. The TE position often has a longer learning curve, working with both the OL and receivers, than other positions. This was a great addition. 

And Breece and MC1 as a 1-2 punch? They’ve given Zach weapinz and took pressure off of him all at the same time. 

Having TEs that get lost in the seams and underneath  when the play breaks down is crucial. Thoe dumpoffs to the TE turn into 3-5 yard completions that get you critical 1st downs instead of 3 and outs. And it's something the Jets haven't had forever. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I challenge you to find me a more perfect draft class, and I’ve followed this team for close to half a century.

Douglas will be questioned no more without a swift e-kick to the ballsack by yours truly.

Since you made the challenge, i’ll accept the challenge. If I was Douglas my choices would have been:

Round 1, Pick 4: Kayvon Thibodeaux

Reason: Sauce will be good, but the league has evolved and the way to stop the pass now is to pressure the QB. Not lock up a single WR. Thibodeaux will be a star pass rusher in this league for a decade. Unfortunately he went to the Giants ?

Round 1, Pick 10: Garret Wilson

Reason: I think JD got this one right for sure.

Round 1, Pick 26: George Karlaftis

Reason: Jermaine didn’t drop on accident. Teams know something and some passed on him several times. There is a chance he falls completely out of the first round if JD doesn’t take him at 26. I don’t like catching a falling knife. In my opinion the Chiefs stole Karlaftis. He is just as big as Jermaine and has a non-stop motor. This is one of those guys you see still fighting several seconds after the whistle and fans begin to love him. KC got a good one.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I would have drafted Ekonwu and flipped Becton for some picks. I feel like there are a lot more options at corner right now than there are tackles (despite the list of broken down JAGs that @slats and @Sperm Edwards keep peddling). And the rules have neutered corners anyway. You look at the playoff rosters from last year, and literally only one team had what you’d consider an “elite” corner (Ramsey), and he was probably the worst player on the field for them during their run. 

You look at the super bowl rosters last year and the years before and only 1 of the last 6 had what you’d consider an “elite” OL (Tampa). 

• Rams’ interior OL was nothing special at all; their LT is 40 (and the only elite one on the line); their RT is pretty good but certainly not elite.
  • Cin had a worse line than the Jets had last year, even with all the new/moved pieces, before swapping GVR/LDT for Tomlinson.
  • KC played with a backup RT their last 10 regular season games, I think, plus through the playoffs. Add to that their interior line was weak, too. Then after losing a second tackle to have backup-level talents fully 5-across they got housed in the SB.
  • The year before that they had Cameron Erving at LT for most of the season. If you’re into PFF grades his was 44.8 that year. LDT was meh again; they only had one elite man on their line in Schwartz. It was not an elite OL overall.
  • Year before that SF got to the SB with a top 10 pick rookie RT who’s noticeably worse than Becton (and missed a month himself). On the other side they simultaneously lost LT Staley for even longer. The team went undefeated in games when one or both tackles were off the field.

So this wailing over Becton is ridiculous & overblown. He’s cheap; he’s under contract for 2 more years (not counting a 5th yr option); he’s already has some good NFL starting experience; he isn’t exactly low upside; and since when is the path to the playoffs because of a RT anyway.

#4 overall is just too high of a pick for a team that really just needs a better backup at RT, not a starter. Plus an elite RT is a less premium and less costly position than an elite corner. Anyway the on-field disparity between Ekwonu & Becton - if Ekwonu is even better than Becton in the first place - is far less than it’d be between Sauce & a mid-round corner who may not even be starter-worthy at all (let alone as a rookie).

The four biggest inconsistency problems they had in protection last year?

1. A rookie guard on one side + crap guards on the other side
  2. A rookie QB holding the ball too long, especially early on
  3. The backs & TEs doing a poor job of blocking & picking up blitzes themselves
  4. Installing a new blocking scheme & new offense in general

None of those 4 things are improved by swapping Becton out to put a rookie on their OL again. Let alone touting the purported wisdom of burning the 4th pick in the country to do so, likely for RT at that. If they still had just Shell or Giacomini penciled in as their RT1 then I’d be more sympathetic, but they don’t. And incidentally, Seattle won a SB with Giacomini; and after wide zone blocking in Seattle, Shell (among others) would be fine as a cheap backup RT in spot duty.

Try to trigger me again and you’ll get even more of this.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, slats said:

Absolutely. Ruckert comes in as TE #3, but he’ll see the field as a rookie as a blocker at the very least. If the team hadn’t added two TEs in free agency, we’d be pretty happy with him penciled in to start. Instead, he’s in a good place where he can be brought along more slowly. The TE position often has a longer learning curve, working with both the OL and receivers, than other positions. This was a great addition. 

And Breece and MC1 as a 1-2 punch? They’ve given Zach weapinz and took pressure off of him all at the same time. 

Biggest help for Zach is not playing the game from behind and being able to actually legit have a play action threat because the run game is a factor. While I might have considered different players the plan makes sense and we added a ton of speed and big play ability which our team has sorely lacked in prior teams. JD has taken a RB every draft in day 2 or 3 and is a far cry from when we ran out Vets at the end of their careers (chris johnson, matt forte, leveon Bell). 

Hall and Carter are exciting and have pass catching ability. Talk about security blanket. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Facts said:

Reason: Sauce will be good, but the league has evolved and the way to stop the pass now is to pressure the QB. Not lock up a single WR. Thibodeaux will be a star pass rusher in this league for a decade. Unfortunately he went to the Giants ?

Says who?

I can make a case that a top corner breaks up more passes than a EDGE who takes plays off does.

And its isnt a given in any way that KT will be a better player than Sauce.  There are more than a few that had KT nowhere in the top of his position group.  

1 hour ago, Facts said:

George Karlaftis

Wanted no part of this guy.  And he was project high as an EDGE early, probably the 3rd best to start and then fell while JJ ascended.  

1 hour ago, Facts said:

Since you made the challenge, i’ll accept the challenge. If I was Douglas my choices would have been:

Round 1, Pick 4: Kayvon Thibodeaux

Round 1, Pick 10: Garret Wilson

Reason: I think JD got this one right for sure.

Round 1, Pick 26: George Karlaftis

Reason: Jermaine didn’t drop on accident. Teams know something and some passed on him several times. There is a chance he falls completely out of the first round if JD doesn’t take him at 26. I don’t like catching a falling knife. In my opinion the Chiefs stole Karlaftis. He is just as big as Jermaine and has a non-stop motor. This is one of those guys you see still fighting several seconds after the whistle and fans begin to love him. KC got a good one.

Not sure how you could say you wanted Karlaftis because of his motor, yet also want Thibodeux who is a known dog, with tape reps to back that up (and I would have been OK with taking him).  Never-mind the fact that, with Lawson coming back, there would have been absolutely zero reason to double dip on first round pass-rushers.

11 hours ago, Death2NE said:

I watched him as a freshman play with my little brother who a senior at Lindenhurst and as a 13 year old kid he dominated 17-18 year olds . Don’t let the recieving totals fool you , I don’t understand why he went to Ohio state but if he had gone to a more tight end friendly school he goes over McBride , great hands , will be a hard worker and good teammate , always will be where he’s supposed to , athletic even if he’s not super fast , willing blocker who will work on that and improve . I honestly see him as a slightly more athletic Dalton Schultz with better “big catch” ability . Let him work as the 3 TE until Conklin and uzomah are gone and/or injured and by year two or 3 he’ll be ready to be our go to tight end and be an above average top 10 tight end for this team for the next decade + … I couldn’t have dreamed a better draft than this the fact joe d got ruckert to cap off day 2 is surreal . These last two drafts are going to be the reason this team turns the corner and is in position to be very good for a long time . Get on board with the ruckert pick now (not saying you are not just saying in general) because you will definitely be apologizing in a year or two when he becomes our guy !

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Great insight -- thanks!

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Truly happy for you and not that this applies to Ruck

BUT 

Can we put together a list of the guys you were dying for?

I seem to rememberer most of them disappointing. 

Lol whaaaaat. Like at receiver, back etc 

or just TE… I’ll build a list 

• Upvote 1

No disrespect intended, I just remember most of your TE crushes not becoming great.

Knowing where the kid comes from , the worker he is and following him since he was a freshman in high school when you can tell he was special already I’ve never been more certain of a player working out . His floor is going to be a competent starting tight end and that’s the absolute floor , the ceiling is a top 10 tight end . I’m almost thankful he went to Ohio state because if he didn’t he would have been on full display and we would have needed to draft him with the breece hall pick , relax my man , we got a great player and hometown kid who’s personally invested in changing the fact that we have to listen to people around the nfl not being to contain their snickering when just mentioning the jets

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2