FINALLY, I WIN. RUCKERT.

2 minutes ago, Death2NE said:

Knowing where the kid comes from , the worker he is and following him since he was a freshman in high school when you can tell he was special already I’ve never been more certain of a player working out . His floor is going to be a competent starting tight end and that’s the absolute floor , the ceiling is a top 10 tight end . I’m almost thankful he went to Phil state because if he didn’t he would have been on full display and we would have needed to draft him with the breece hall pick , relax my man , we got a great player and hometown kid who’s personally invested in changing the fact that we have to listen to people around the nfl not being to contain their snickering when just mentioning the jets

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I have all the faith Ruck is going to work out here. 

I was just asking a genuine question to Paradis.

• Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

No disrespect intended, I just remember most of your TE crushes not becoming great.

All good, I didn’t take it that way. I think there’s been a lot made of the some the later round dart throws. I’ve not been high on a lot of the “top” names over the last 10 years. Ima do a deeper dive in a bit 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You look at the super bowl rosters last year and the years before and only 1 of the last 6 had what you’d consider an “elite” OL (Tampa). 

• Rams’ interior OL was nothing special at all; their LT is 40 (and the only elite one on the line); their RT is pretty good but certainly not elite.
  • Cin had a worse line than the Jets had last year, even with all the new/moved pieces, before swapping GVR/LDT for Tomlinson.
  • KC played with a backup RT their last 10 regular season games, I think, plus through the playoffs. Add to that their interior line was weak, too. Then after losing a second tackle to have backup-level talents fully 5-across they got housed in the SB.
  • The year before that they had Cameron Erving at LT for most of the season. If you’re into PFF grades his was 44.8 that year. LDT was meh again; they only had one elite man on their line in Schwartz. It was not an elite OL overall.
  • Year before that SF got to the SB with a top 10 pick rookie RT who’s noticeably worse than Becton (and missed a month himself). On the other side they simultaneously lost LT Staley for even longer. The team went undefeated in games when one or both tackles were off the field.

So this wailing over Becton is ridiculous & overblown. He’s cheap; he’s under contract for 2 more years (not counting a 5th yr option); he’s already has some good NFL starting experience; he isn’t exactly low upside; and since when is the path to the playoffs because of a RT anyway.

#4 overall is just too high of a pick for a team that really just needs a better backup at RT, not a starter. Plus an elite RT is a less premium and less costly position than an elite corner. Anyway the on-field disparity between Ekwonu & Becton - if Ekwonu is even better than Becton in the first place - is far less than it’d be between Sauce & a mid-round corner who may not even be starter-worthy at all (let alone as a rookie).

The four biggest inconsistency problems they had in protection last year?

1. A rookie guard on one side + crap guards on the other side
  2. A rookie QB holding the ball too long, especially early on
  3. The backs & TEs doing a poor job of blocking & picking up blitzes themselves
  4. Installing a new blocking scheme & new offense in general

None of those 4 things are improved by swapping Becton out to put a rookie on their OL again. Let alone touting the purported wisdom of burning the 4th pick in the country to do so, likely for RT at that. If they still had just Shell or Giacomini penciled in as their RT1 then I’d be more sympathetic, but they don’t. And incidentally, Seattle won a SB with Giacomini; and after wide zone blocking in Seattle, Shell (among others) would be fine as a cheap backup RT in spot duty.

Try to trigger me again and you’ll get even more of this.

8 hours ago, slats said:

I’m still buzzing from passing on Ekwonu. What a happy moment that was for me! The Jets drafted playmakers. The starting OL is fine. Free agency has OL available, however you choose to describe them. If they go OL and DT with these next two picks and go home, I’ll be good. All they really need is a backup right tackle, because both of their starters can play the left side. 

I stayed up for this pick. Was hoping for Jelani Woods, but was happy with Ruckert. The Jets needed weapinz badly, and added a new #1 WR and RB and created an NFL caliber TE room out of nothing. On this front, you and I want the same thing: no excuses for Zach. Mike LaFluer now has plenty of toys at his disposal to employ his creativity. I’m excited about it. On defense, they added a stud CB and highly regarded Edge (not my first choice, but can’t complain about where they got him) who’ll help them get off the field on third down. The team got a lot better this weekend in the ways they needed to get better. Flipping Becton for Ekwonu wouldn’t move the needle at all. Joe Douglas, instead, moved that needle quite a bit. We should thank him. 

I don’t want to give short-shrift to these excellent posts, but I also don’t want to spoil the good post- draft vibes too much with a debate that will play out over the summer, at which point we can all do a posting wrestlemania. Big love, honchos.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

No disrespect intended, I just remember most of your TE crushes not becoming great.

Story of me and this TE fixation goes back to 2009, we had Keller ('08) who flashed and I got fixated on the idea of running 2 TEs, both inline & move. Wasn't a common place "base" formation like the 12 personnel is now (or at least highlighted)...

I wanted Brandon Pettigrew to compliment Keller -- and the world disagreed. 1 year later NE drafts Gronk & Hernandez, and all of sudden its genius, 

• Brandon Pettigrew (screw you guys he played for like 7 years)
  • Jared Cook, James Casey 

• Jimmy Graham -> huge crush
  • Aaron Herandez (can't hold the murder thing against me)
  • Didn't like Ed Dickson (oregon)

• Didn't like this class; Kyle Rudolph., 
  • Rob Housler is about the only one i think i floated around. 

• Another dull/trash year. Didn't like Coby Fleener. 

• Liked Tyler Eifert, LOVED Jordan Reed, intrigued by Gavin Escobar (bust).  Pass on Ertz.
  • Completely overlooked and didn't know how Travis Kelce was *whelp*

• Austin Seferian-Jenkins -- biggest crush so far next to Jimmy Graham. Off-field issues/attitude
  • Fought daily with 90% of JI over Eric Ebron - who i thought was an athlete pretending to be a TE.
  • Hard NO for Jace Amaro who i thought wasn't going to make it (whoops, super right)
  • Had a soft spot for Crockett Gilmour (obviously). Pass on CJ Fiedorowicz. Hated Richard Rogers.

• Worst class ever. Maxx Williams? Clive Walford, Tyler Kroft? Kill me now
  • Had to hitch my wagon to MyCole Pruitt and Wes Saxton (was with NYJ as an UDFA for a year)

• Liked/didn't love Hunter Henry. Meh on Hooper, Higbee (off field stuff was serious)
  • Was sweet a few late round types; Temarick Hemmingway, Ben Braunecker, Beau Sandland

• Again, fought with 90% of JN over OJ Howard who i thought was WAY overrated. Product of Alabama's O
  • Like Evan Engram, Njoku, didn't like Jonu Smith or Bucky Hodges down the stretch.
  • Was smitten with Jeremy Sprinkle somewhat... Kinda loved Gerald Everett

• Super-sized Paradis infatuation with Dallas Goedert
  • Hard pass on Hayden Hurst, ambivalent to Gesicki, and Mark Andrews

• I was ALL about the two Iowa TEs Hockenson and Fant didn't like Irv Smith at all. Bama TEs. No thank you.
  • Josh Oliver was the mid round sleeper apple of my eye. 

• Weird class. Best TE imo was Harrison Bryant and he was not hyped. Felt nothing for Cole Kmet. 
  • Adam Trautman had my attention

• Obviously I came out of the closet for Kyle Pitts, Best TE prospect ever. period. 
  • Super tight TE class; liked Freiermuth, Tremble, Zach Davidson.
  • Hard Pass on Brevin Jordan

TLDR version: I bolded the names of those I hung posters above my bed and while listening to Whitney Houston 

So... your call. ?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Kyle Pitts will have exceptional stats but when you look at "TEs" like him they are essentially WRs as they can block inline so when they are on the field the defense can move to nickel not be overly exposed against the run.

The reason I love Ruckert is that he is an elite blocker with the possibility that his athleticism will allow him to be a "better" receiving TE in the NFL then he was in college.  That happens to also have been the exact scouting report that George Kittle had.  When Kittle came out his profile had his floor as one of the best blocking TEs in the league - that is all you can really ask when you get to the 4th+ round and why I was so disgusted with Mac trading down and winding up with Jordan Leggett.

KIttle is so effective because teams have to stay in their base defense against him since he is such a devastating blocker and I can see our offense being very similar as all 3 TEs we have are good blockers and I think Ruckert can really learn from CJ and Conklin, grow into his role slowly and hopefully be a dominant starter in 2024 when both CJ and Conklin can come off the books.

Love the pick!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Kyle Pitts will have exceptional stats but when you look at "TEs" like him they are essentially WRs as they can block inline so when they are on the field the defense can move to nickel not be overly exposed against the run.

The reason I love Ruckert is that he is an elite blocker with the possibility that his athleticism will allow him to be a "better" receiving TE in the NFL then he was in college.  That happens to also have been the exact scouting report that George Kittle had.  When Kittle came out his profile had his floor as one of the best blocking TEs in the league - that is all you can really ask when you get to the 4th+ round and why I was so disgusted with Mac trading down and winding up with Jordan Leggett.

KIttle is so effective because teams have to stay in their base defense against him since he is such a devastating blocker and I can see our offense being very similar as all 3 TEs we have are good blockers and I think Ruckert can really learn from CJ and Conklin, grow into his role slowly and hopefully be a dominant starter in 2024 when both CJ and Conklin can come off the books.

Love the pick!

I read this very similar piece:

Ruckert was an interesting pickup. On film at Ohio State, he carried some of the exact same responsibilities as Kyle Jusczcyk and George Kittle do in the 49ers’ offense, down to some of the minute, arc-motion-style blocking. This should be a real plug-and-play scenario for the Jets, who needed more players intimately familiar with the way offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur wants to run his offense. 

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Story of me and this TE fixation goes back to 2009, we had Keller ('08) who flashed and I got fixated on the idea of running 2 TEs, both inline & move. Wasn't a common place "base" formation like the 12 personnel is now (or at least highlighted)...

I wanted Brandon Pettigrew to compliment Keller -- and the world disagreed. 1 year later NE drafts Gronk & Hernandez, and all of sudden its genius, 

• Brandon Pettigrew (screw you guys he played for like 7 years)
  • Jared Cook, James Casey 

• Jimmy Graham -> huge crush
  • Aaron Herandez (can't hold the murder thing against me)
  • Didn't like Ed Dickson (oregon)

• Didn't like this class; Kyle Rudolph., 
  • Rob Housler is about the only one i think i floated around. 

• Another dull/trash year. Didn't like Coby Fleener. 

• Liked Tyler Eifert, LOVED Jordan Reed, intrigued by Gavin Escobar (bust).  Pass on Ertz.
  • Completely overlooked and didn't know how Travis Kelce was *whelp*

• Austin Seferian-Jenkins -- biggest crush so far next to Jimmy Graham. Off-field issues/attitude
  • Fought daily with 90% of JI over Eric Ebron - who i thought was an athlete pretending to be a TE.
  • Hard NO for Jace Amaro who i thought wasn't going to make it (whoops, super right)
  • Had a soft spot for Crockett Gilmour (obviously). Pass on CJ Fiedorowicz. Hated Richard Rogers.

• Worst class ever. Maxx Williams? Clive Walford, Tyler Kroft? Kill me now
  • Had to hitch my wagon to MyCole Pruitt and Wes Saxton (was with NYJ as an UDFA for a year)

• Liked/didn't love Hunter Henry. Meh on Hooper, Higbee (off field stuff was serious)
  • Was sweet a few late round types; Temarick Hemmingway, Ben Braunecker, Beau Sandland

• Again, fought with 90% of JN over OJ Howard who i thought was WAY overrated. Product of Alabama's O
  • Like Evan Engram, Njoku, didn't like Jonu Smith or Bucky Hodges down the stretch.
  • Was smitten with Jeremy Sprinkle somewhat... Kinda loved Gerald Everett

• Super-sized Paradis infatuation with Dallas Goedert
  • Hard pass on Hayden Hurst, ambivalent to Gesicki, and Mark Andrews

• I was ALL about the two Iowa TEs Hockenson and Fant didn't like Irv Smith at all. Bama TEs. No thank you.
  • Josh Oliver was the mid round sleeper apple of my eye. 

• Weird class. Best TE imo was Harrison Bryant and he was not hyped. Felt nothing for Cole Kmet. 
  • Adam Trautman had my attention

• Obviously I came out of the closet for Kyle Pitts, Best TE prospect ever. period. 
  • Super tight TE class; liked Freiermuth, Tremble, Zach Davidson.
  • Hard Pass on Brevin Jordan

TLDR version: I bolded the names of those I hung posters above my bed and while listening to Whitney Houston 

So... your call. ?

I remember Pettigrew and AS-J the most and neither, although they played a long time, set the league on fire.  

For some reason I thought you were pro Ebron.

Ok, you were on some good one's... my bad! 

• Sympathy 1