### The Official Day Three Draft Day Discussion Thread ###

Maxman

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Max Mitchell is a dude I really liked. I don’t think he’s athletic enough for us and he’s a tackle only.

Pretty cool. Mitchell is awesome and played RT. The Jets have drafted from the Lion’s senior bowl team more than their own.

FWIW before the Senior Bowl his tape looked like 2nd rounder tape to me

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Jets1958 said:

Mitchell is a positional run-blocker with the foot speed to scoop and seal defenders in zone schemes. He lacks the lower-body strength to consistently drive defensive linemen off the ball. He's quick and shoots his hands in pass pro, but he has shorter arms for a tackle, and the competition level raises concerns. Texas was his only Power 5 opponent in 2021, and he struggled at the Senior Bowl. -- Steve Muench

Yeah, but aside from all that he’s pretty good right?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, mrcoops said:

Mitchell is a nice pick for us. Improves the depth, can be a valuable swing tackle.

Happy with that pick.

Yeah, I like him better than Faalele. We already have a jumbo sized tackle. 

• Upvote 1

Sounds like a good scheme fit and developmental Tackle. From Dane Brugler’s “beast” kit:

Overall, Mitchell was a below- average tester and needs to continue developing his strength, but his play quickness is an asset in pass protection and as a zone run blocker. He does a great job reestablishing his hands mid-block. He isn’t ready made for the NFL, but he the potential is there for him to grow into a swing tackle role.
GRADE: 4th-5th Round

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Pretty cool. Mitchell is awesome and played RT. The Jets have drafted from the Lion’s senior bowl team more than their own.

FWIW before the Senior Bowl his tape looked like 2nd rounder tape to me

I like him a lot too. Seems like he should add another 10 lbs or so 

Max Mitchell

Draft Scouting Report:

Rating: 83.44 (Long-term starter)

Pro Comparison: Greg Senat

Strengths:

Athleticism and length pop on film. Has NFL OT-caliber length and feet. Punch is typically good, and it leads to him being controlled by the edge defender. Explodes out of his stance for zone plays and when he has to combo/attack the second level. Replaces his hands in pass pro and plays with a sturdy, balanced frame. Anchor in pass protection is solid. Awareness is good, too, and is just athletic enough to get to secondary rushers. Has a decently high floor and high upside because of his athletic talents and pass-protection prowess.

Weaknesses:

Has a tendency to be a touch late with his punch. Needs to add 10-20 pounds to hold up on the edge in the NFL. While his athleticism is good, he does have some problems with smaller speed rushers.

Accolades:

2021: All-Sun Belt first team

Started 37 games past three seasons

• Upvote 2