Jets should be a top 10 offense/playoff contenders

Bronx

I personally think we are still a QB away. If i’m wrong, that would be fantastic. If i’m right, then at least we have a pretty solid team built up for the next QB to step into and immediately flourish. Brighter days are ahead.

33 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Definitely would have been if JD didn't try to fleece the niners.

I’m thrilled with the overall draft and Garrett Wilsons potential.  Once you make the pick it’s over.   

It’s interesting they tried to pay less than the other WRs paid and this one might come back to bite them.  Passing on Cooper to save money is even more egregious and the off-season move that will bug me.   A 1-2 year Cooper rental would have been perfect to go along with this draft.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

No - 1 really good game cause the Bengals did not adjust and 1-3

They also put up 30 against Indy but that was followed up by 2 17 point games. It was the highest scoring and yardage output over 4 games all year.

I am saying that to an extent Wilson held them back but also I’m saying that this offense has an opportunity to be really good if Wilson improves.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, the Claw said:

****in hell. This is exactly why so many of you guys are miserable about this team all the time. They were 4-12 last year and now you expect them to be top ten and playoff-bound?? That’s just dumb. 

They had an awesome draft but there’s still a lot of youth and question marks on this team and who knows if they licked the injury bug or not. 

Temper your expectations.

No. Enough rebuilds. Expect wins, the roster is built.

• Upvote 1

Just now, kdels62 said:

They also put up 30 against Indy but that was followed up by 2 17 point games. It was the highest scoring and yardage output over 4 games all year.

I am saying that to an extent Wilson held them back but also I’m saying that this offense has an opportunity to be really good if Wilson improves.

It’s also true Zach didn't settle in until late

when everyone was injured.  

Weird rookie season, because game 1 was good for Zach.  I think he elevated the team when the OLine was garbage and WRs were dropping stuff.   Then he started regressing for a while.   Looked better again the game he got knocked out.  Came back and settle in but started burning worms on the short stuff and looked right for a while. 

Not an ideal year for Zach or the coaches, but they got good picks and everyone gained valuable experience.  The Tampa game was a complete game where he was back to elevating the team.  Should be a fun 2nd year of the rebuild.  

24 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

If I was smart enough to search my old postings, I believe I said the same thing. He was my choice over Darnold, even though I was happy we selected Darnold, because I didn't think he would bust that easy. I actually thought Allen while more upside had more bust potential. He has turned into the prototypical QB you'd want on your team. Big, Tall, Cannon Arm, and can run like the wind. He's going to be a beast for a while in this division.

I loved Allen and his video game-like freak talents, but this board convinced me he wouldn't ever amount to anything.

All those Spider-Man/Hack gifs and videos of him missing the tire at the Senior Bowl convinced me he sucked.   

• Haha 1

I’m expecting us to play meaningful games in December but ultimately miss the playoffs. Whether that qualifies as being a playoff contender, I don’t know.

If Zach takes a leap and we stay relatively healthy, I think we have a 12-16 ranked offense and a 16-20 ranked defense. So roughly middle of the pack.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

It’s also true Zach didn't settle in until late

when everyone was injured.  

Weird rookie season, because game 1 was good for Zach.  I think he elevated the team when the OLine was garbage and WRs were dropping stuff.   Then he started regressing for a while.   Looked better again the game he got knocked out.  Came back and settle in but started burning worms on the short stuff and looked right for a while. 

Not an ideal year for Zach or the coaches, but they got good picks and everyone gained valuable experience.  The Tampa game was a complete game where he was back to elevating the team.  Should be a fun 2nd year of the rebuild.  

It was starting to come together for Zach. His first half against Miami, his first half against Philly, and his two games against Jacksonville and Tampa were good performances.

As constructed this team can now sustain injury to the skill positions and not leave Zach scrambling. Theres enough talent especially since I think Garrett Wilson will start at WR4 that Zach can be along for the ride rather than driving it. 

The hope however has to be that Zach can play like the Tampa, Jaguars, Titans and Panthers game every week. The circumstances around him were not ideal in those weeks but he was the xfactor that gave the team a shot. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

We should still have concerns at safety and lb maybe dt and ol especially if becton can't get on the field I could see us sniffing the playoffs but I don't know that we make it this season even with a big step forward. On top of that it's going to take our players time to learn the playbooks and to get on the same page this is a marathon not a sprint we are moving in the right direction which has to be good enough we still need another year or two to really be competitive imo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

7 wins is absolute minimum  

8-9 should be goal 

And.....here come the BS mandates.  The roster is tremendously improved, but this is a young team with a young coaching staff that needs to mature and gain experience. You are just going to have to exhibit some patience.  I think they will be much better, but putting a win total mandate is just stupid.  I think you can and should expect playoff contention in 2023, but expecting that in 2022 is premature.  

39 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

It was starting to come together for Zach. His first half against Miami, his first half against Philly, and his two games against Jacksonville and Tampa were good performances.

Not trying to pick on you, but I feel like I read the EXACT same type of posts about Darnold for 3 years.

50 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I’m expecting us to play meaningful games in December but ultimately miss the playoffs. Whether that qualifies as being a playoff contender, I don’t know.

If Zach takes a leap and we stay relatively healthy, I think we have a 12-16 ranked offense and a 16-20 ranked defense. So roughly middle of the pack.

This would be a ginormous improvement. I’ll take it.

5 minutes ago, Facts said:

Not trying to pick on you, but I feel like I read the EXACT same type of posts about Darnold for 3 years.

1) you can’t pick on me

2) Darnold did put together a few good games. Looking at those games provided a platform from which Darnold shouldve build upon. He didn’t. Good games are good games and should be looked at positively. If he doesn’t build on those then you say “oh those were just aberrations” if he builds on them then you say “this is when the game started to slow down for him.” Also Wilson stopped turning the ball over before the end of year 1 something Darnold never learned how to do.

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

They were getting blown out VERY badly when those stats were delivered. 

Don’t like Wilson. It’s fine if you don’t have faith in him.  Fair

But can we please stop with this narrative that the team was good when he was out and that it was somehow a good offense.  It wasn’t!
There was one truly exceptional game that caught lightning in a bottle. Awesome to see.  Then three games where the team was completely non competitive.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Bronx said:

This A+ draft should translate to a Top 10 offense and make us a playoff contenders in 2022 

We have solid groups: TE (Conklin/ Ruckert) RB (Hall/Carter) WR (Moore/Wilson) and our OL (Becton at RT) should help drastically. 

Our D also gotten better with the new additions and with healthy veterans returning it should have a major impact in 2022's final PFF.

No.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

They were getting blown out VERY badly when those stats were delivered. 

Don’t like Wilson. It’s fine if you don’t have faith in him.  Fair

But can we please stop with this narrative that the team was good when he was out and that it was somehow a good offense.  It wasn’t!
There was one truly exceptional game that caught lightning in a bottle. Awesome to see.  Then three games where the team was complete non competitive.  

They beat the the Bengals so that was legitimate. Zach also played in games with garbage time but the offense didn’t show up even though they were out of it. 

I’m all about Zach Wilson but for most of the year he was the problem with the offense. By the end of the year he wasn’t and that’s good enough for me after year 1. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

Still very young so tempering expectations, but I’m supremely confident we will be a top 3 offense by 2023-24. Who knows, they can be that surprise team that takes a bigger step forward than anticipated, but definitely see a bright future ahead

Trade back today?

Lots of early draft capital the last couple years, solid players picked up in free agency.

Heading into the draft I've usually looked at the roster to see where they can fit guys in this year, and then a year out to see where they've got holes they might want to fit early. This is the deepest the roster's been in a while, there haven't been that many spots and a lot of the ones that exist, draft picks would be bumping legitimate NFL players off the roster.

Obviously they need a QB situation to work. But on a rookie QB deal, you put together a good enough roster you can be a really competitive team with just adequate QB play. Thinking the Rams with Goff and the Eagles with Wentz. Even the Browns with Mayfield.  Hopefully the team makes a big step this year against what's going to be a really challenging schedule.

The way they want to win games is by running for 130 yards and get chunks on play action. It looks like they've actually optimized the roster to do so. Wilson is basically along for the ride which is a great spot to be in for a 2nd year QB. If we get competent play out of him.. I'd actually expect to score quite a few points. 

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

And.....here come the BS mandates.  The roster is tremendously improved, but this is a young team with a young coaching staff that needs to mature and gain experience. You are just going to have to exhibit some patience.  I think they will be much better, but putting a win total mandate is just stupid.  I think you can and should expect playoff contention in 2023, but expecting that in 2022 is premature.  

Anyone who would be ok with 6 wins or less is lost in the sauce

Mandate to win at least 7 games? Yes 100 percent

I would pump the brakes on this....

1st of all this type of thinking leads to complaining if we improve to lets say 16th instead of 10th because of unrealistic expectations.....

2nd, we had an excellent draft, but we're still going as far as Zach takes us, we have to see how far along he is in his development before we start booking playoff tickets..

I'm as hype as anyone after the last 3 days, but honestly 7-10 or 8-9 next year makes me very hopeful about this team's future

• Upvote 1