Credit JD for trading up to get Hall

Just now, k-met57 said:

i feel like the jets thought the talent pool this year wasnt as deep as other years, so they made a call to get their guys and move on to UFA market. giving away multiple picks in multiple trades def not JD's DNA.

Honestly they mostly gave up the fifth rounders which I’m fine with.  They traded 69 but we at least got a third back albeit much lower 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

When they made the trade to move up 2 spots, I thought it was an over aggressive move with Walker also being available. Both have great speed, both are bellcow type RB's but after reading more about both, it just seems Hall is a better fit. Walker is mauling type back who excels at running  between tackles  and breaking tackles and I love that kind of RB where Hall, even though had not been a rugged type, is a threat pass catcher and doesn't  have the knock on him as a pass protector that Walker has. In this O, I think that is big and made Walker a sqaure peg we would have been trying to fit into a round hole. We would be hoping Walker develops into a pass protector and pass catcher (only caught 18 passes in college). Hall to me seems like a ready fit who can do what we want out of the RB position on day one. It would have been nice to have a bruising  type runner since Carter isn't  built for that but at least when Hall is in there, the D won't  be sure if it's  a run or pass. 

Credit to JD for being aggressive and getting a player that already fits. 

Walker man run fast in the 40 but he does not play fast on the field. Hall all day.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Irish Jet said:

We got Michael Carter and Bryce Hall in the 5th round. Those picks aren’t worthless.

I’ll love the player because he’s fun to watch and what’s this sport about if not entertainment but from a value perspective this wasn’t great. 

Michael Carter is slow. He is good but he is not an everydown back.

They will compliment each other well and limit each other's carries.

Fresh legs down the stretch, hopeful longevity, and multiple formations.

It's going to be awesome to watch. 

Just think, our top backs from the last few years are now either retired or fourth string!  

This team is transformed. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

We got Michael Carter and Bryce Hall in the 5th round. Those picks aren’t worthless.

I’ll love the player because he’s fun to watch and what’s this sport about if not entertainment but from a value perspective this wasn’t great. 

Was a deeper draft. Those guys are day 2 picks this year.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

I think we’ve all made a lot of assumptions about what might or might not be in JD’s DNA, based largely on his first draft which was really all about adding as many players as he could to fill needs at virtually every position on the team. Last two drafts have seen him target players and trade up to get them. I suspect this is very much in his DNA. He goes where he perceives value, whether it’s up or down. 

I thought the same thing.  His first draft he was a "trade down" guy.  The past 2 drafts he's been "trade up aggressively".  I feel like he might've overpaid a little for AVT last year but, this year, it felt like he was on point.

We'll see how good his evaluations on these players are though.  I was against drafting a RB in round 2 (in concept) but clearly JD wanted Breece badly so I'm on board with it.  There was a run on RBs that started right there so, to JD's credit, it felt like he timed it perfectly.  He also timed the WR thing perfectly as there was a huge run on WRs when he took Garrett Wilson (though it started with Atlanta at pick 8 with Drake London).

I do think this draft might have been a little unusual in that it was a bit of a weaker draft and JD had a lot of draft capital to play around with.  I could see him next year being a lot more "conventional" (stick-and-pick or trade down).  I like that he's not robotic in his approach.  He's aggressive where he feels he needs to be.  Let's just hope he's right!

• Upvote 2

It is notable, that in this draft (and in the last draft to some degree), Joe Douglas clearly went for quality over quantity. I seems to me, he has been learning on the job and I like the way his GM prowess seems to be trending upwards.

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Breece Hall is a better prospect than Carter was. It would be like picking Javonte Williams in 2nd. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, slats said:

Lol, I think you just enjoy being miserable. This was the last position where the Jets could draft an impact player who will either start or be a major rotational piece from day one. This league is all about offense, and the man brought in new a #1 WR and RB. It’s an exciting pick because it’s a good one. Breece Hall helps this team immediately. 

Buddy I voiced my disgust at the idea of picking a running back this high a month ago.  It would be pretty hypocritical of me to join in this collective circle jerk just because it's fun.

I get that here at Vibesnation any and all critical thinking has been sacrificed at the alter of Joe Douglas' hypothetical ballsack but you're not going to suddenly convince me that giving up a 5th rounder, to move up two spots for a RB at the top of the 2nd is how good teams are built. Even if we'd have drafted Walker without the trade everyone in this thread would be jerking off to PFF's #1 ranking and calling him the best in the class. It's nonsense. 

• Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I am also starting to buy into the Gase theory.  That Gase had for more say in that draft than I think we all would have liked.  We'll never know - but the past two have been managed properly, with quality value and no head scratchers.

It makes sense.  They've been night and day the last two years.

Remember the behind the scenes stories of how JD and Gase were fighting over control during the 2020 season?

Thankfully JD won that battle. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I think imo that we get caught up or paralyzed by value too much. What the Jets value is a lot different than what Mel Kiper and the draft gurus think. The Jets value of Hall was high in fact they considered going 1st round to get him. You don’t shy away because Peter Prisco thinks it’s not good value

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Barton said:

I really like the Hall pick. Good pick.

Not gonna lie though. He doesnt play to his 40 time. Lacks a 3rd gear. You can see it on his big runs in college - stays in 2nd gear the whole time. No breakaway speed, IMO. 

When I watched his highlights, it didn't look like he had the breakaway speed to me either.  But possibly he runs with such ease that he's running a lot faster than comes across on film?  Whether he has the blazing speed or not, he did seem like a heck of a receiver out of the backfield!  And if JD was so adamant about drafting him then I'm far more confident in his evaluation than in my own.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Tranquilo said:

What about when it’s a weak draft in the later rounds, and we come away with 5 solid players in three rounds anyway? I don’t think the players in the 5th round are going to be any better than UDFAs.

Exactly. 

What good are the extra fifth rounders if you don't have a roster spot for them?  

They have like a hundred players signed right now.  The desired players were targeted and aggressivly bought. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1