Credit JD for trading up to get Hall

2 minutes ago, Alentador31 said:

I think its just the way he looks when he runs. RBs without breakaway speed don't have runs of: 80, 47, 75, 70, 42. 

He ran a 4.39 in the 40 so I'm sure you're right.

https://fourvertsfootball.com/what-is-breece-halls-40-time/

Breece Hall ran an official forty-yard dash of 4.39 seconds at the 2022 NFL combine. Breece’s 4.39 was the sixth fastest forty times for runningbacks though this was a fast group of players at this position.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

i feel like the jets thought the talent pool this year wasnt as deep as other years, so they made a call to get their guys and move on to UFA market. giving away multiple picks in multiple trades def not JD's DNA.

This is the 2nd year in a row he traded up at the top of the draft to get his guy. During his first draft, he had something lined up with the jags to trade up as well.

He is not trader Mike, but this trade up is part of who he is.

What’s different about this draft is he did not trade back on day 2/3 which he did in both his previous drafts. Seems like there’s bern a guy he loves near all his selections.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Buddy I voiced my disgust at the idea of picking a running back this high a month ago.  It would be pretty hypocritical of me to join in this collective circle jerk just because it's fun.

I get that here at Vibesnation any and all critical thinking has been sacrificed at the alter of Joe Douglas' hypothetical ballsack but you're not going to suddenly convince me that giving up a 5th rounder, to move up two spots for a RB at the top of the 2nd is how good teams are built. Even if we'd have drafted Walker without the trade everyone in this thread would be jerking off to PFF's #1 ranking and calling him the best in the class. It's nonsense. 

Now this is a headscratcher, I gotta say.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

9 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

This is the 2nd year in a row he traded up at the top of the draft to get his guy. During his first draft, he had something lined up with the jags to trade up as well.

He is not trader Mike, but this trade up is part of who he is.

What’s different about this draft is he did not trade back on day 2/3 which he did in both his previous drafts. Seems like there’s bern a guy he loves near all his selections.

correct, which is why i said what i said. i believe the jets do not love the late round guys this year as much as the guys in the top 100-120-150 whatever it is...or think UFA's are on similar level.

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I am also starting to buy into the Gase theory.  That Gase had for more say in that draft than I think we all would have liked.  We'll never know - but the past two have been managed properly, with quality value and no head scratchers.

That’s what happens when you have a partner(Saleh) that you’re on the same page with.....

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

We got Michael Carter and Bryce Hall in the 5th round. Those picks aren’t worthless.

I’ll love the player because he’s fun to watch and what’s this sport about if not entertainment but from a value perspective this wasn’t great. 

Give me a break. If he turns into Dalvin Cook or Nick Chubb, the pick is a home run. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

19 minutes ago, slats said:

So who was your desired player there, oh great critical thinker? 

I understand drafting value and premium positions and all of that. Joe Douglas crushed getting premium positions with premium picks in the first round. He went for the best playmaker on his board there. Not really concerned about taking the top RB in the draft at the top of the second round. If this was a first round selection, I’d be with you here. But this type of criticism is just nitpicking. 

It was four picks after the 1st round lol.

I'd have drafted Travis Jones, as I said in the draft thread. Think it fills arguably the biggest need on the roster right now and watching JFM play DT on running downs is not going to be a fun time, not going by last year. He landed in Baltimore and he's gonna kill it. I wouldn't have been opposed to trading back if we were gonna go running back. 

I don't know why people are acting like I should get on board with a pick I specifically said I wouldn't like one month ago. This is place is just utterly hysterical at the minute. I've liked the draft - Hall will be a good player - But there's better value to be had with that pick. I'm not actually upset about it but this thread is about the pick - Am I not allowed to give my opinion? 

9 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I'd have drafted Travis Jones, as I said in the draft thread. Think it fills arguably the biggest need on the roster right now and watching JFM play DT on running downs is not going to be a fun time, not going by last year. He landed in Baltimore and he's gonna kill it. I wouldn't have been opposed to trading back if we were gonna go running back. 

I don't know why people are acting like I should get on board with a pick I specifically said I wouldn't like one month ago. This is place is just utterly hysterical at the minute. I've liked the draft - Hall will be a good player - But there's better value to be had with that pick. I'm not actually upset about it but this thread is about the pick - Am I not allowed to give my opinion? 

Finding a run-stopping DT to play alongside a 3-Tech will be easier, either in FA next year or on Day2/3 next year.

When the priority isn’t finding a DT who is extremely good at rushing the passer it gets easier.

Might even happen today. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Finding a run-stopping DT to play alongside a 3-Tech will be easier, either in FA next year or on Day2/3 next year.

When the priority isn’t finding a DT who is extremely good at rushing the passer it gets easier.

Might even happen today. 

I think Jones is better than that, I think he’ll be a quality starter for Baltimore for a while.

We were atrocious against the run last year. Lawson and Johnson will help but the interior was abysmal. Foley was unsuited to the scheme. Rankins, Shepherd and Marshall have shown that getting a guy who can contribute right away isn’t all that easy.

I think Jets fans have been spoiled at the position because of the absurd amount of high 1st round picks we poured into it. It’s not quite the plug and play position people think, you do need solid players.

• Upvote 1

Didn't he come from a team that had a zone blocking scheme? 

I'm not great at this armchair scout thing, but he seems like a really good one cut, hit the gap and then take off with burst and power, which would fit with what the Jets are trying to do in the run game. 

Not that he can't make people miss, or that he doesn't have moves, just that he played in a system and has a strength that fits well with what the Jets are doing. Plus he seems to be a good receiver. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Might even happen today. 

^This.  A run stopping DT is not better value than the draft’s best RB that we got in the 2nd.  How anyone can poo poo this pick is beyond me.  Breece Hall is in blue chip first round RB company. 

A1A781BB-4FB9-4BE7-BE9D-3FA4D681D31F.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

You can do whatever you like, no one’s stopping you. In fact, I’m inviting more from you by replying to you. Sorry, but you just come off as miserable. I’d’ve been pleased with Travis Jones, too, but it’s an offensive league and they went for the offensive playmaker. It’s the exact guy I wanted there and never expected to get. I doubt that Joe D has forgotten that he loves the trenches. If they draft Perrion Winfrey here, maybe we’ll both be happy… ? 

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

If you thought a different player was the way to go, then fine, but calling out everyone that is on board with the pick ball lickers isn't  going to make you very popular. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

We got Michael Carter and Bryce Hall in the 5th round. Those picks aren’t worthless.

I’ll love the player because he’s fun to watch and what’s this sport about if not entertainment but from a value perspective this wasn’t great. 

Every draft is not equal... It was widely discussed that this draft didn't really have top end or back end players... All the value was in the middle... 

It is also been discussed everything after the 4th this year is basically the talent of UDFA... 

So yes the 5th could be something... But compared to last year where it was discussed a very deep draft... This year there is less depth... So it's up to you whether you want to believe the people that do this for a living or not but that's what I believe. 

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, slats said:

You can do whatever you like, no one’s stopping you. In fact, I’m inviting more from you by replying to you. Sorry, but you just come off as miserable. I’d’ve been pleased with Travis Jones, too, but it’s an offensive league and they went for the offensive playmaker. It’s the exact guy I wanted there and never expected to get. I doubt that Joe D has forgotten that he loves the trenches. If they draft Perrion Winfrey here, maybe we’ll both be happy… ? 

Nah man I think you should be able to voice disagreement here without people implying that I'm just a miserable prick but evidently that's possible. I had said I wouldn't like this pick a month ago and have said for years that running back is essentially a worthless position. I'm not being a contrarian for the sake of it - I was never going to like a running back that high whether it was Joe Douglas, Joe Namath or Joe Biden making the pick.

I'd like Winfrey later for sure but he's far from the slam dunk I think Jones will be. 

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

If you thought a different player was the way to go, then fine, but calling out everyone that is on board with the pick ball lickers isn't  going to make you very popular. 

I don't think I've ever used the term "ball lickers" in my life. I drink a lot though so idk. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I don't think I've ever used the term "ball lickers" in my life. I drink a lot though so idk. 

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

here at Vibesnation any and all critical thinking has been sacrificed at the alter of Joe Douglas' hypothetical ballsack but

Let’s just call that semantics, lol. I drink a lot, too, but luckily I’m a happy drunk. 

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Every draft is not equal... It was widely discussed that this draft didn't really have top end or back end players... All the value was in the middle... 

It is also been discussed everything after the 4th this year is basically the talent of UDFA... 

So yes the 5th could be something... But compared to last year where it was discussed a very deep draft... This year there is less depth... So it's up to you whether you want to believe the people that do this for a living or not but that's what I believe. 

Buddy the idea that this draft is particularly shallow is just absurd. Who ever aid that?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/04/28/2022-nfl-draft-covid/

There are people who think it's quite the opposite as evidenced above. People who also "do this for a living" as you put it. I know PFF have said they feel it's an exceptionally deep class as well.

Personally I have no idea and I guess neither do most people here. I'm not studying the tape of 300 or so players to make that judgement. I do know that 5th round is where Douglas has found pretty good value in recent years. I'm not saying it would have been a quality player but just that it isn't the throwaway some may think.  

1 minute ago, slats said:

Let’s just call that semantics, lol. I drink a lot, too, but luckily I’m a happy drunk. 

I though it would be pretty obvious what I meant by that given the title of the thread. People are suggesting Douglas has been bold in moving up, ie showing big balls and are praising him for that. 

But people read into things what they want I guess. Who am I to judge?

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

We got Michael Carter and Bryce Hall in the 5th round.

Carter was picked in the fourth round. Bryce Hall dropped due to injury. The fifth isn't a buffet that always has choice fillet. The jets got the guy they wanted to be part of their two headed running attack. We're through the third and we already have 5 players with two to go early today. This isn't a shallow draft class JD put together.

11 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Personally I have no idea and I guess neither do most people here. I'm not studying the tape of 300 or so players to make that judgement. I do know that 5th round is where Douglas has found pretty good value in recent years. I'm not saying it would have been a quality player but just that it isn't the throwaway some may think. 

I think the praise comes from reading the draft well and jumping the Texans who would’ve taken Breece one pick before the Jets.  

As for this, I don’t know how many more young/developmental players this roster can absorb. Pretty sure that the Jets have more players under contract than most, if not all, of the league. They’re certainly already one of the youngest teams, and with Hall added four more rookie starters. I think they like their developmental guys from last year, and want to keep working with them, especially the LB/S ‘tweeners. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I was pounding the table for this kid.  I think hes the best player in this draft.  We just added a dynamic, explosive player that is going to touch the ball 15 plus times a game.

This is why you dont trade picks for assh@les like tyreke hill and deebo samuel.  You keep the picks, use them to maneuver around the draft board and strike when the time right right.

We talk about generational players, Joe Douglas is a generational gm.  What he has done the last 2 days is truly unbelievable.

Joe Douglas did not build this team in 2 days.

This is his third draft, though only the second to include some of his own people in the scouting department. He has been executing what appears to be a well thought out plan. This plan is the one which was pitched to ownership and resulted in him being hired. 

Stuff like this just doesn't happen on a 2 or 3 day bender.

• Upvote 1