Credit JD for trading up to get Hall

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

That was sort of my way to sum up your attitude towards people that like the Hall pick

I haven't criticised anyone for liking the Hall pick. I can easily see why people would. He's a fun player. 

I criticised people for saying I was just being miserable about a pick I'd vocally opposed making a month before it happened. 

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

When I watched his highlights, it didn't look like he had the breakaway speed to me either.  But possibly he runs with such ease that he's running a lot faster than comes across on film?  Whether he has the blazing speed or not, he did seem like a heck of a receiver out of the backfield!  And if JD was so adamant about drafting him then I'm far more confident in his evaluation than in my own.

Let me ask you a question; on many of those plays you can see him running away from the dbs.  Now unless this was played in slow motion, or the dbacks were  REALLY SLOW, he has demonstrated that he has the speed and acceleration to gain large chunks of yardage consistently.   You can call it whatever you want but the film doesn't lie.  It didn't hurt that he also ran a sub 4.4 at the combine. 

• Sympathy 1

I've been campaigning for Hall for a couple months.  He makes so much sense in this offense.  Not only is he highly athletic and fast (4.39).  He's a really good receiver too.  A willing pass protector.  And a freakin TD machine...24 consecutive games...I believe...scoring a rushing TD.  Guys that have a nose for the endzone like that...ain't gonna lose it when entering the league.  With his breakaway speed and receiving skills...anytime you can get him into open space...he's a threat to make big chunk plays...or take it to the House.  That type of skill set will get special attention from opposing DCs.  Which is a big benefit to Moore-Wilson-Davis-TEs.  It opens up the offense for them.  

When JD went and signed two TEs (12 man personnel, etc.) I knew this was to mirror a classic Shanahan style WCO.   Which is a contrarian type of offense which combines WCO pass principals with a heavier emphasis on the run game.  And that run game will be bolstered by two new additions of hogs to the 2021 OL...with Becton (highway 77 is back!) and Tomlinson.

In a Shanahan offense...the formation used to execute plays is exactly the same for both the pass and the run.  So when you can establish a strong run attack.  The opposing defense has to decide whether to counter that with more run personnel to stop it.  That's when ZW...in pre-snap read...can change a play into a play action pass and throw it to that arsenal of weapons JD has assembled.  Which now has two dangerous RBs in Carter and Hall.  Two 2-way TEs.  And a variety of WR weapons.

This is how the 49ers got to the Supe and an NFCCG over these past three years.  Along of course...with their relentless pass rushing D.  If they can do that with a immobile QB with limited arm talent like Garoppolo.  Then a QB like Zach...with his mobility and arm talent...should feast in this offense.  I mean...JD has built and tailored this offense for him.  IMO...it's going to be fun watching ZW play this year.  He will rock 'n roll in this offense...and put lots more points on the scoreboard. 

Gonna be exciting to see what kind of crazy stuff LaFleur will cook up with this bunch. 

Can't wait! 

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Let me ask you a question; on many of those plays you can see him running away from the dbs.  Now unless this was played in slow motion, or the dbacks were  REALLY SLOW, he has demonstrated that he has the speed and acceleration to gain large chunks of yardage consistently.   You can call it whatever you want but the film doesn't lie.  It didn't hurt that he also ran a sub 4.4 at the combine. 

I'm sure I'm wrong about the guy and the fact that he runs a 4.3 40 proves it.  But look at the run at 15 seconds below.  He starts to accelerate at the 20 second mark but, to me, it doesn't look like he's showing blazing speed there.  I have full faith in JD though. It must be that he has an "easy stride" or something like that.

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Buddy the idea that this draft is particularly shallow is just absurd. Who ever aid that?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/04/28/2022-nfl-draft-covid/

There are people who think it's quite the opposite as evidenced above. People who also "do this for a living" as you put it. I know PFF have said they feel it's an exceptionally deep class as well.

Personally I have no idea and I guess neither do most people here. I'm not studying the tape of 300 or so players to make that judgement. I do know that 5th round is where Douglas has found pretty good value in recent years. I'm not saying it would have been a quality player but just that it isn't the throwaway some may think.  

Got it... Quoting Washington post article as draft experts... Got it... Next time I will follow their analysis more closely

12 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Got it... Quoting Washington post article as draft experts... Got it... Next time I will follow their analysis more closely

Good job not even reading the article to see who they quoted to come to that conclusion

In last year’s draft, for example, the Baltimore Ravens made their last selection in the fifth round and traded away picks to stockpile for this year, which Eric DeCosta, the team’s general manager, told reporters would have a “deeper talent pool.”

In the past few months, the full scope of that depth has started to come into focus. Chicago Bears Coach Matt Eberflus told the Cris Collinsworth podcast that he expected the team to find three starters with their three picks inside 71. Martin Mayhew, the Washington Commanders’ general manager, said he expected to find starters as far back as the fifth. The depth was so obvious that even Matt Groh, the new director of player personnel for the famously tight-lipped New England Patriots, admitted to reporters, “There is good depth.”

But yeah, Skeptable from Jetnation knows more than these who "do this for a living."

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

I think Jones is better than that, I think he’ll be a quality starter for Baltimore for a while.

We were atrocious against the run last year. Lawson and Johnson will help but the interior was abysmal. Foley was unsuited to the scheme. Rankins, Shepherd and Marshall have shown that getting a guy who can contribute right away isn’t all that easy.

I think Jets fans have been spoiled at the position because of the absurd amount of high 1st round picks we poured into it. It’s not quite the plug and play position people think, you do need solid players.

I do agree with that. I just think JD feels he has a better chance to find that guy a different way. He was clearly focused on impact guys this Draft. Some are at premium spots like Edge and CB but even a “non-premium” position like RB has a large impact-the-game factor when you put a talent like Breece Hall in place to touch the football 20 times per game. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

Lol, I think you just enjoy being miserable. This was the last position where the Jets could draft an impact player who will either start or be a major rotational piece from day one. This league is all about offense, and the man brought in new a #1 WR and RB. It’s an exciting pick because it’s a good one. Breece Hall helps this team immediately. 

Yeah we lacked dynamic difference makers. We just drafted 4 of them with our top 4 picks. We have enough Hamsah Nasirideen’s.  Good locker room guys, good on ST’s. We needed explosive top tier guys.  **** dem picks.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I haven't criticised anyone for liking the Hall pick. I can easily see why people would. He's a fun player. 

I criticised people for saying I was just being miserable about a pick I'd vocally opposed making a month before it happened. 

I'm pretty sure you used terms like Circle Jerk in your OP to represent what people were doing over JD and and the hilarity  of it all. IOW's you were laughing  at them.

3 hours ago, Barton said:

I really like the Hall pick. Good pick.

Not gonna lie though. He doesnt play to his 40 time. Lacks a 3rd gear. You can see it on his big runs in college - stays in 2nd gear the whole time. No breakaway speed, IMO. 

He definitively has breakaway speed. What I notice is that he is able to modulate his speed easily. This forces defenders to take angles that then become the wrong angles when he presses the gas suddenly. His acceleration when he does this is important. You see this deceptive angle breaking all over his film…er YouTube clips :)

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Buddy I voiced my disgust at the idea of picking a running back this high a month ago.  It would be pretty hypocritical of me to join in this collective circle jerk just because it's fun.

I get that here at Vibesnation any and all critical thinking has been sacrificed at the alter of Joe Douglas' hypothetical ballsack but you're not going to suddenly convince me that giving up a 5th rounder, to move up two spots for a RB at the top of the 2nd is how good teams are built. Even if we'd have drafted Walker without the trade everyone in this thread would be jerking off to PFF's #1 ranking and calling him the best in the class. It's nonsense. 

What’s wrong with a circle jerk?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm pretty sure you used terms like Circle Jerk in your OP to represent what people were doing over JD and and the hilarity  of it all. IOW's you were laughing  at them.

That was not directed at the Hall pick.

More so at the threads started on here clamouring for a statue and an extension for the “best GM in the league” Joe Douglas (13-36).

I can link you to these posts if you’d like.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

10 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

That was not directed at the Hall pick.

More so at the threads started on here clamouring for a statue and an extension for the “best GM in the league” Joe Douglas (13-36).

I can link you to these posts if you’d like.

Insae those.  I don't pay those much mind. I just started thos thread to talk about going and getting a player that fits rather than wait for him and hooe he's  there and possibly taking the next best that doesn't.  

19 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Good job not even reading the article to see who they quoted to come to that conclusion

But yeah, Skeptable from Jetnation knows more than these who "do this for a living."

A deep middle of the draft... Not a deep draft overall the quote was taken out of context but that would never happen with a Washington post article

I really like the Hall pick. Good pick.
Not gonna lie though. He doesnt play to his 40 time. Lacks a 3rd gear. You can see it on his big runs in college - stays in 2nd gear the whole time. No breakaway speed, IMO. 

Respectfully, I don’t agree at all. It’s why he wound up in the end zone such a crazy amount.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Every professional scout we have who studied over 100s of hours of game film on Breece Hall reported back to Joe and Robert, “This kid can take it 80 on any play”.

Jet fans watch a 3 minute highlight video and report back, “He doest play to his 40 time and lacks a 3rd gear.”

Hahahahahahaha.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm sure I'm wrong about the guy and the fact that he runs a 4.3 40 proves it.  But look at the run at 15 seconds below.  He starts to accelerate at the 20 second mark but, to me, it doesn't look like he's showing blazing speed there.  I have full faith in JD though. It must be that he has an "easy stride" or something like that.

He out ran a corner that had an angle from the opposite leash. 

On 4/30/2022 at 9:37 AM, Irish Jet said:

Buddy I voiced my disgust at the idea of picking a running back this high a month ago.  It would be pretty hypocritical of me to join in this collective circle jerk just because it's fun.

I get that here at Vibesnation any and all critical thinking has been sacrificed at the alter of Joe Douglas' hypothetical ballsack but you're not going to suddenly convince me that giving up a 5th rounder, to move up two spots for a RB at the top of the 2nd is how good teams are built. Even if we'd have drafted Walker without the trade everyone in this thread would be jerking off to PFF's #1 ranking and calling him the best in the class. It's nonsense. 

I hope you get a chance to go outside today. 

The premise that finishing runs is unadulterated horsesh*t!

What it does is end RBs careers prematurely. The prime skill

for a back is his ability to cut. The back is told  to cut off his

linemen's  blocks and Hall has as much or more cutting ability

or more cutting ability as any  RB in the last ten years. His

patient style and cutting ability set a good example for Carter

who has the ability to cut and has been stupidly told to finish

his runs, with his diminutive body will result in a short career

On 4/30/2022 at 9:33 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I thought the same thing.  His first draft he was a "trade down" guy.  The past 2 drafts he's been "trade up aggressively".  I feel like he might've overpaid a little for AVT last year but, this year, it felt like he was on point.

We'll see how good his evaluations on these players are though.  I was against drafting a RB in round 2 (in concept) but clearly JD wanted Breece badly so I'm on board with it.  There was a run on RBs that started right there so, to JD's credit, it felt like he timed it perfectly.  He also timed the WR thing perfectly as there was a huge run on WRs when he took Garrett Wilson (though it started with Atlanta at pick 8 with Drake London).

I do think this draft might have been a little unusual in that it was a bit of a weaker draft and JD had a lot of draft capital to play around with.  I could see him next year being a lot more "conventional" (stick-and-pick or trade down).  I like that he's not robotic in his approach.  He's aggressive where he feels he needs to be.  Let's just hope he's right!

As I've stated in another thread that I started, Joe Douglas is learning on the job, and not duplicating the mistakes he made in the past.

It is much better to trade up to get the player you want, then to trade down to get the player you hope is there when it's your turn to draft.

The Jets traded up to get Derrelle Revis, and the Jets traded down to get Denzel Mims.

Stew on that thought for awhile!  lol

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Alka said:

As I've stated in another thread that I started, Joe Douglas is learning on the job, and not duplicating the mistakes he made in the past.

It is much better to trade up to get the player you want, then to trade down to get the player you hope is there when it's your turn to draft.

The Jets traded up to get Derrelle Revis, and the Jets traded down to get Denzel Mims.

Stew on that thought for awhile!  lol

The difference in Joe's drafting philosophy is simple:

Douglas traded down a lot because he needed to fill the roster with 10+ players the past few drafts. 

Now his roster is filled and he's targeting players that best fit it. 

He didn't learn from past mistakes, he's had a three year plan and is following it. 

Take this with a grain of salt, not sure on credibility of source, but appears to be inside 1JD:

Jets offered 38, 101, 111, 117, 146 to Packers for pick 28 but they wanted 2023 2nd as well JD wanted to climb back into first for Breece Hall because a team that was said to be high on the RB was trying to climb to pick 29 for him. (Seattle tried to jump up)

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Every professional scout we have who studied over 100s of hours of game film on Breece Hall reported back to Joe and Robert, “This kid can take it 80 on any play”.

Jet fans watch a 3 minute highlight video and report back, “He doest play to his 40 time and lacks a 3rd gear.”

Hahahahahahaha.

There's scout content with concerns about his top end speed.

If you guys think he is taking it to the house like an Adrian Peterson every other game, you are gonna be dissapointed.

He should be a damn good player though. 

38 minutes ago, Barton said:

There's scout content with concerns about his top end speed.

If you guys think he is taking it to the house like an Adrian Peterson every other game, you are gonna be dissapointed.

He should be a damn good player though. 

Not the jet scouts.  They believe he can go 80 anytime he touches the ball.