Credit JD for trading up to get Hall

20 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

4.39 forty?  

He might not become this great back I think he is, but it won't be from a lack of speed. 

Thats not what I am saying.

Obviously he has enough speed to be a very good player. Plenty of allpro backs werent consistent long run type guys. 

Discussion is home run speed. Very few guys in the league have this. 

To each his own but I dont see a guy who is gonna run past corners if they have an equal step on him. 

Like I said, I love the pick. But he's not lightining in a bottle like some think, JMO. 

23 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

The difference in Joe's drafting philosophy is simple:

Douglas traded down a lot because he needed to fill the roster with 10+ players the past few drafts. 

Now his roster is filled and he's targeting players that best fit it. 

He didn't learn from past mistakes, he's had a three year plan and is following it. 

I guess we will agree to disagree.  By filling up the roster with players that didn't work out, he had to redraft the same position players with ones who did work out.  Or sign free agents to replace the draft players who didn't work out.

I think that Idzik had like 17 draft picks one year, and perhaps 1 of them worked out.  

Filling a roster with bodies is a losing strategy, and one that I believe Joe Douglas has learned from.

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I guess we will agree to disagree.  By filling up the roster with players that didn't work out, he had to redraft the same position players with ones who did work out.  Or sign free agents to replace the draft players who didn't work out.

I think that Idzik had like 17 draft picks one year, and perhaps 1 of them worked out.  

Filling a roster with bodies is a losing strategy, and one that I believe Joe Douglas has learned from.

They didn’t work because they switched staffs,

Funny how Becton, Mims, Davis, Perine, and Zuniga all look good their rookie years.

On 4/30/2022 at 8:58 AM, More Cowbell said:

When they made the trade to move up 2 spots, I thought it was an over aggressive move with Walker also being available. Both have great speed, both are bellcow type RB's but after reading more about both, it just seems Hall is a better fit. Walker is mauling type back who excels at running  between tackles  and breaking tackles and I love that kind of RB where Hall, even though had not been a rugged type, is a threat pass catcher and doesn't  have the knock on him as a pass protector that Walker has. In this O, I think that is big and made Walker a sqaure peg we would have been trying to fit into a round hole. We would be hoping Walker develops into a pass protector and pass catcher (only caught 18 passes in college). Hall to me seems like a ready fit who can do what we want out of the RB position on day one. It would have been nice to have a bruising  type runner since Carter isn't  built for that but at least when Hall is in there, the D won't  be sure if it's  a run or pass. 

Credit to JD for being aggressive and getting a player that already fits. 

Well 2 things to add:

1) He is 6'1 220lbs and from many clips looks to me where he not only runs with speed, but also runs down hill, so he will provide some of the bruising hits you are saying without being just a simple mauler.

2) Without the trade up for the 2 spots, the Texans were there at 37 and very well may have taken Hall with that pick. Probably the Jets got some intel on that coming out of the Texans war room which pushed them to trade up. Sure, would have been nice to have some 5th rounders, but better to get what appears to be tops in the draft at their positions in Edge JJ and RB Hall and sacrifice 2 5th rounders that likely would have been at best PS players since we now are getting better depth and lower round draft picks in rounds 5-7 may no longer make the active roster on this team so easily.

4 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

They didn’t work because they switched staffs,

Funny how Becton, Mims, Davis, Perine, and Zuniga all look good their rookie years.

Really?  Yes, Becton and Mims looked good.  Perine was nothing special, and Zuniga was a lost cause from day #1.  Davis always seemed to be injured, and when he wasn't injured, he never showed starting caliber play.  I think he is a quality backup, but not sure he is any more than that. James Morgan showed he wasn't up to the task, and Cameron Clark never proved to be more than a back-up, even from the start.

Quinnen Williams was from the last staff, and he seems to be on very good ground.  

The more you make your argument, the more you lose the argument.

• WTF? 1

50 minutes ago, Alka said:

Really?  Yes, Becton and Mims looked good.  Perine was nothing special, and Zuniga was a lost cause from day #1.  Davis always seemed to be injured, and when he wasn't injured, he never showed starting caliber play.  I think he is a quality backup, but not sure he is any more than that. James Morgan showed he wasn't up to the task, and Cameron Clark never proved to be more than a back-up, even from the start.

Quinnen Williams was from the last staff, and he seems to be on very good ground.  

The more you make your argument, the more you lose the argument.

There is no argument.  Your whole point was that he changed philosophies.  He didn't change anything.  He tore down a team and rebuilt it.  This just happens to be the time where he targeted certain players do to the lack of roster spots. You think he changed, but he was just on step three. 

On 4/30/2022 at 9:28 AM, FidelioJet said:

I am also starting to buy into the Gase theory.  That Gase had for more say in that draft than I think we all would have liked.  We'll never know - but the past two have been managed properly, with quality value and no head scratchers.

This has been my point in a few threads when everyone was bashing JD. The coaching / system has a big say in who is drafted. It is not in the GM's best interest to draft players that won't fit the coach's system. And when you have Adam Gase and Dowell Loggains... you're ****ed. There is no way Gase's staff and JD were on the same page. Gase's staff was awful, and JD has been around great front offices his whole career. It was obvious they did not see eye-to-eye. Now with Saleh's staff, everyone is on the same page and it is apparent. Look at the last two drafts. Look at the comraderie and organization cohesiveness. There is a vision for the future that Adam Gase could never see, regardless of how wide he opened his eyes.

• Upvote 1