Jump to content

LT competition in TC Will determine who stays and who Goes.


Recommended Posts

Becton and Fant will have a true competition for the starting left tackle position. If Fant Beats out Becton  then Fant gets a long term extension. If Becton beats out Fant then I believe JD will let him walk in free agency And begin the era of compensatory pics.

Getting an offensive tackle today is important just for this fact alone.Begin developing the pipeline

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, but he's not getting a guy today who could be a competent fill in starter this year.  I'd guess JD will sign a free agent tackle as a stopgap swing tackle for this year, a la Moses last year.  There's just no way either Fant or Becton starts all 17 games this year.  I hope he gets someone who isn't a turnstile on passing plays.

I'm excited by all the new weapons on offense.  Let's all hope that Fant and Becton can stay healthy!

  

  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Becton and Fant will have a true competition for the starting left tackle position. If Fant Beats out Becton  then Fant gets a long term extension. If Becton beats out Fant then I believe JD will let him walk in free agency And begin the era of compensatory pics.

Getting an offensive tackle today is important just for this fact alone.Begin developing the pipeline

lol why does someone have to go? i thought you need 2 tackles in the NFL but maybe i was wrong.

BTW you may like Fant and the jets do, but he has always been an average player...and he was above average last year. lets not get crazy with thinking we are set of LT with Fant.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, k-met57 said:

lol why does someone have to go? i thought you need 2 tackles in the NFL but maybe i was wrong.

BTW you may like Fant and the jets do, but he has always been an average player...and he was above average last year. lets not get crazy with thinking we are set of LT with Fant.

Fant is better suited for left tackle than right tackle. Becton  is probably better suited for right tackle but he wasn’t drafted at 11 to play right tackle. I think JD hopes he can win the position battle. If Fant can’t beat out Becton for left tackle I’m sure JD would love to sign him as a swing tackle but Saint might wanna go elsewhere for the big contract.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

We have cap room. 2 year extension for Fant and 3 year extension for CMG.

Tell me then… Two-year extension at left tackle money or right tackle money? Fant put up good PFF grades last year as a left tackle. He’s going to want left tackle money.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Tell me then… Two-year extension at left tackle money or right tackle money? Fant put up good PFF grades last year as a left tackle. He’s going to want left tackle money.

Doesn’t matter. He’s not elite at either so his value will likely fall between $12-$16 million. Depending in the market trends $14m a year puts him at good LT money and very good but not elite RT money. Seems about right for the guy.

Heck give him the extension now and front him some money so that he’s very tradable 2 drafts from now.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Tell me then… Two-year extension at left tackle money or right tackle money? Fant put up good PFF grades last year as a left tackle. He’s going to want left tackle money.

IIRC, he rated out as an elite pass blocker but lousy run blocker.  What is that worth if he's like that again this year?  A lot, b/c the #1 thing you want your LT to do is protect the QBs blind side.

Also, he has missed 2 games each of the past two seasons as a starter, so, factor that in, too, but to what extent?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Doesn’t matter. He’s not elite at either so his value will likely fall between $12-$16 million. Depending in the market trends $14m a year puts him at good LT money and very good but not elite RT money. Seems about right for the guy.

Heck give him the extension now and front him some money so that he’s very tradable 2 drafts from now.

You’re talking a range of 25% between $12 million and $16 million. I’d venture a guess of $18-$20 million that his agent will be looking for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Becton and Fant will have a true competition for the starting left tackle position. If Fant Beats out Becton  then Fant gets a long term extension. If Becton beats out Fant then I believe JD will let him walk in free agency And begin the era of compensatory pics.

Getting an offensive tackle today is important just for this fact alone.Begin developing the pipeline

No RT on the Jets?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

IIRC, he rated out as an elite pass blocker but lousy run blocker.  What is that worth if he's like that again this year?  A lot, b/c the #1 thing you want your LT to do is protect the QBs blind side.

Also, he has missed 2 games each of the past two seasons as a starter, so, factor that in, too, but to what extent?

 

 

Keep in mind that we have some nice tight end blockers to help him set the edge on runs now.

His pass pro is the most important part of his game.

  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Fant is better suited for left tackle than right tackle. Becton  is probably better suited for right tackle but he wasn’t drafted at 11 to play right tackle. I think JD hopes he can win the position battle. If Fant can’t beat out Becton for left tackle I’m sure JD would love to sign him as a swing tackle but Saint might wanna go elsewhere for the big contract.

Yet Ekwonu is allegedly better suited for RT (if not guard) and people wanted to draft him at #4. 

Becton was drafted because he projected to LT in a way Wirfs didn’t, and their only starter at the time was a former backup they’d hoped wouldn’t have to start at LT, but added him instead of other FA tackles because what if they needed him to do so, and further - however unlikely - what if all 4 tackles were off the board by #11?

So that was clearly the plan (and is how they executed it on the field in 2020); if they end up flipping, with the OL better overall that way, then in the end it doesn’t really matter. Results are more important than plans. The Pats’ planned QB in ‘01 (and beyond) was Drew Bledsoe. 

Fant’s not on a dirt-cheap contract - I admittedly hated it when they signed him for so much - but he’s not going to tip the scales into the $20MM+ range even on an extension (they’d ***ing better not, lol). Meantime he’s on a below-mean cost contract for an average or better veteran starting LT, Becton’s remaining contract is at half that amount, and they’re not under the gun to do anything unless they want to. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Keep in mind that we have some nice tight end blockers to help him set the edge on runs now.

His pass pro is the most important part of his game.

That's why I like the Ruckert pick.  He's almost like another OT out there.  He could also help whoever plays at RT in pass protection, chipping edge rushers and such.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

If he wants 18 mil then bye bye. He’s good but not great 

If he demands that then honestly they should do nothing. They could just tag him for ~$18MM next year, have him year-to-year in both ‘22 and ‘23, and can always draft someone else next year if needed. Should they see a major rebound from Becton (not just in play, but in reliability) it makes such decisions even easier. In the meantime they don’t really have to do a thing.

If he can be extended in the $14-15MM range? I’d do it. It’d probably only add 1 guaranteed season anyway. I mean, this year isn’t guaranteed on paper, but in practical terms it is. So guaranteeing him 2 years on an extension really only guarantees 1 more.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fant will and should be the starting LT His play from last year has earned him that much and a contract extension as well imo. Becton & AVT on the right side with Rucker as the TE the defense will need eight guys on that side of the line to stop Hall 

  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If he demands that then honestly they should do nothing. They could just tag him for ~$18MM next year, have him year-to-year in both ‘22 and ‘23, and can always draft someone else next year if needed. Should they see a major rebound from Becton (not just in play, but in reliability) it makes such decisions even easier. In the meantime they don’t really have to do a thing.

If he can be extended in the $14-15MM range? I’d do it. It’d probably only add 1 guaranteed season anyway. I mean, this year isn’t guaranteed on paper, but in practical terms it is. So guaranteeing him 2 years on an extension really only guarantees 1 more.

I agree with this. If the tag is only 18 mil then there’s no need to make a longer term deal at that price. Unless it can be structured team friendly something like a 4 year deal at 12 14 18 22 with the last year being cuttable 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

You’re talking a range of 25% between $12 million and $16 million. I’d venture a guess of $18-$20 million that his agent will be looking for.

$17 million seems to be where the high end tackles end up so any refusal to go lower than that is a nonstarter in negotiations for JD. $12m is the JD hope. $14-16m with money pushed up increases his earnings without really altering the cap. This is obviously all from the perspective of benefit to the team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Terron Armstead is an elite pass protector and ok run blocker. Fant is not better than him and Armstead got $15M per year. 12-14 is reasonable if the Jets believe last year’s Fant is the real Fant.

 Agents aren’t looking at what IT got two years ago… They were looking at the explosion of money for prime positions. Left tackle, wide receiver, quarterback, edge. you wouldn’t be a very good agent if he’s looking backwards at last year’s contracts 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Read my post again. Whoever loses the competition swings to RT

The title says who stays and who goes and nowhere in the post did I see the other swings to RT.

Did I miss it?

Quote

 

Becton and Fant will have a true competition for the starting left tackle position. If Fant Beats out Becton  then Fant gets a long term extension. If Becton beats out Fant then I believe JD will let him walk in free agency And begin the era of compensatory pics.

Getting an offensive tackle today is important just for this fact alone.Begin developing the pipeline

 

I do agree with the idea of whoever loses the battle for LT is our RT 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

You’re talking a range of 25% between $12 million and $16 million. I’d venture a guess of $18-$20 million that his agent will be looking for.

His agent can probably just keep looking, then.  I’d like to see them keep Fant on the left side this year while Becton embraces the RT role. I think he can be an absolute beast there. He puts up a solid (or better) season, and then they can figure out what they want to do at the position next year. If Fant is killing it, open extension conversations during the season. Fant isn’t a franchise level LT, just a good one. He’s not getting franchise money unless the Jets feel the need to tag him. The Jets can let him test the waters and see for himself. He’s not an $18-20M/year player. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

 Agents aren’t looking at what IT got two years ago… They were looking at the explosion of money for prime positions. Left tackle, wide receiver, quarterback, edge. you wouldn’t be a very good agent if he’s looking backwards at last year’s contracts 

Armstead signed his contract 5 weeks ago and was the highest paid FA LT this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/30/2022 at 10:55 AM, kdels62 said:

$17 million seems to be where the high end tackles end up so any refusal to go lower than that is a nonstarter in negotiations for JD. $12m is the JD hope. $14-16m with money pushed up increases his earnings without really altering the cap. This is obviously all from the perspective of benefit to the team.

The high end tackles now get over $20MM/year. Don’t get me wrong - I’d prefer less - but I’m saying more like where I’d draw the line. 

$14-15MM is about the 20th-highest, and anyway that’s in 2022 overwhelmingly looking back at contracts that started 1-2 years earlier. That means some from 2020 and earlier are really 1/16 more, because they get paid for an extra game even if it doesn’t show up on the salary cap.

Two years earlier, a lone PB year doesn’t get a 30 year-old Tomlinson $13.3MM per (5th highest G in history). Never mind these WR contracts we’re seeing and more. Things have changed plenty.

So that’s why, while I’d welcome a more team friendly deal, the difference between $12-13MM and $14-15MM is not stopping them from fitting anyone else under the cap, and isn’t worth the headache over their starting LT who was as good or better in pass protection than even a SB champion requires. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/30/2022 at 11:01 AM, slats said:

His agent can probably just keep looking, then.  I’d like to see them keep Fant on the left side this year while Becton embraces the RT role. I think he can be an absolute beast there. He puts up a solid (or better) season, and then they can figure out what they want to do at the position next year. If Fant is killing it, open extension conversations during the season. Fant isn’t a franchise level LT, just a good one. He’s not getting franchise money unless the Jets feel the need to tag him. The Jets can let him test the waters and see for himself. He’s not an $18-20M/year player. 

Becton probably isn’t embracing the RT role and perceives it as a demotion.  This, combined with the rumors of going OT in the first round, probably has/had him in fits.  Hopefully he continues to get in shape and calm down so he’s ready to play in July.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Becton probably isn’t embracing the RT role and perceives it as a demotion.  This, combined with the rumors of going OT in the first round, probably has/had him in fits.  Hopefully he continues to get in shape and calm down so he’s ready to play in July.

Well then, there’s the motivating competition that so many claimed Becton needed instead of  the team burning the 4th overall pick on yet another starting tackle.

RT is a poor value for #4 overall. Nothing short of a HOF career - and Becton beings career bust - would make it look like a wise decision with the benefit of hindsight that the team didn’t have. And even drafting in hindsight I’d choose the hindsight decision of whichever edge rusher or WR looks like a HOFer (if our two rookies aren’t already them). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well then, there’s the motivating competition that so many claimed Becton needed instead of  the team burning the 4th overall pick on yet another starting tackle.

RT is a poor value for #4 overall. Nothing short of a HOF career - and Becton beings career bust - would make it look like a wise decision with the benefit of hindsight that the team didn’t have. And even drafting in hindsight I’d choose the hindsight decision of whichever edge rusher or WR looks like a HOFer (if our two rookies aren’t already them). 

The jets could have taken a tackle at 10 or moved around and taken one in round 1.  I don’t think anyone here would be complaining if they took wirfs to be the RT 2 yrs ago.  

I think the biggest underlying problem here, is that beyond becton’s health and motivation, I’m just not sure if this coaching staff wants him at LT period.  He doesn’t fit the system, max mitchell does.  Becton may simply see the proverbial writing on the wall that he simply doesn’t have the chops to beat out a technician like fant at LT and isn’t willing to move to RT.  

Is it a coincidence that both becton and mims are having serious issues fitting into this offense, guys who seem much better placed in different schemes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Becton probably isn’t embracing the RT role and perceives it as a demotion.  This, combined with the rumors of going OT in the first round, probably has/had him in fits.  Hopefully he continues to get in shape and calm down so he’s ready to play in July.

That’s my concern. He needs to either get over that or use it as motivation. A really good year at RT this year could put him back at LT in 2023. He should see it as the opportunity it is for him to be the dominant run blocker he can be. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...