Is there anything you would have done different in Round 1?

Facts

In another thread, Untouchable challenged people to come up with a better 1sr round draft class for the Jets, with the benefit of hindsight and knowing who went where.

I’ll accept the challenge (and I look forward to seeing your ideas too). If I was Douglas my choices would have been:

Round 1, Pick 4: Kayvon Thibodeaux

Reason: Sauce will be good and i’m happy to see him in green, but the league has evolved and the way to stop the pass now is to pressure the QB. Not lock up a single WR (which is nearly impossible now due to rules favoring offense). Thibodeaux will be a star pass rusher in this league for a decade. Unfortunately he went to the Giants ?

Round 1, Pick 10: Garret Wilson

Reason: I think JD got this one right for sure. Welcome to NY.

Round 1, Pick 26: George Karlaftis

Reason: Jermaine didn’t drop on accident. Teams know something and some passed on him several times. There is a chance he falls completely out of the first round if JD doesn’t take him at 26. I don’t like catching a falling knife. In my opinion the Chiefs stole Karlaftis. He is just as big as Jermaine and has a non-stop motor. This is one of those guys you see still fighting several seconds after the whistle and fans begin to love him. KC got a good one.

The combo of Thib’s and Karlaftis would have been something offenses across the league (and especially in our division) would have had to gameplan for, for a long long time.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 4
  • WTF? 2

I kind of feel the same way about Sauce.  Refs just love to throw PI flags these days for even the slightest contact. If he can avoid those, he'll be fine, though.

I really like the 10 and 26 picks.  JJ was real good value at 26.

Will one or more of these guys disappoint? Sure, maybe.  But even if just 2 of the 3 quickly become a quality starters, that's a big win.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

“I don’t like catching a falling knife” 

Then proceeds to take karlaftis who fell to the late 1st 

Karlaftis was supposed to go (based on odds betting) between 19-25. I guess I don’t see it as falling when he pretty much went where he was supposed to.

Jermaine was supposed to be top 10. That in my opinion is a fall.

94DBE2DF-51E3-4276-BEE0-6DAC458EC9F6.jpeg

2 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

I kind of feel the same way about Sauce.  Refs just love to throw PI flags these days for even the slightest contact. If he can avoid those, he'll be fine, though.

Glad you agree.

I do think Sauce will be good and we’ll be happy to have him, but at #4 overall I just think we could have gotten a player that wrecks games on a play by play basis. It’s really tough for CB’s to do that now.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Facts said:

In another thread, Untouchable challenged people to come up with a better 1sr round draft class for the Jets, with the benefit of hindsight and knowing who went where.

I’ll accept the challenge (and I look forward to seeing your ideas too). If I was Douglas my choices would have been:

Round 1, Pick 4: Kayvon Thibodeaux

Reason: Sauce will be good and i’m happy to see him in green, but the league has evolved and the way to stop the pass now is to pressure the QB. Not lock up a single WR. Thibodeaux will be a star pass rusher in this league for a decade. Unfortunately he went to the Giants ?

Round 1, Pick 10: Garret Wilson

Reason: I think JD got this one right for sure. Welcome to NY.

Round 1, Pick 26: George Karlaftis

Reason: Jermaine didn’t drop on accident. Teams know something and some passed on him several times. There is a chance he falls completely out of the first round if JD doesn’t take him at 26. I don’t like catching a falling knife. In my opinion the Chiefs stole Karlaftis. He is just as big as Jermaine and has a non-stop motor. This is one of those guys you see still fighting several seconds after the whistle and fans begin to love him. KC got a good one.

The combo of Thib’s and Karlaftis would have been something offenses across the league (and especially in our division) would have had to gameplan for, for a long long time.

3 minutes ago, Facts said:

Karlaftis was supposed to go (based on odds betting) between 19-25. I guess I don’t see it as falling when he pretty much went where he was supposed to.

Yes. JJ was EXPECTED to go top 10. 

Karlaftis was EXPECTED to go about where he did.

I'll give you a moment to think about it....

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yes. JJ was EXPECTED to go top 10. 

Karlaftis was EXPECTED to go about where he did.

I'll give you a moment to think about it....

JJ fell (and perhaps would have not even went in the first round without JD). Ask yourself why?

Karlaftis went where he should have. 

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I’m happy with this draft for sure - but I’m pretty confident we’re going to regret passing on Williams.  

I like Wilson and I expect it to be a solid pro, Williams is going to be special. 

I thought about picking on the Wilson pick and putting Williams at #10 but decided that i’m okay with Douglas taking the non injured (safer) player.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Good/great players fall every year... usually to the already good teams and they get praised for stealing them. 

It was a great draft on paper.  Can't wait until camp!  

I forget who, but someone on the ESPN telecast said that JJ didn't really "fall."  Rather, the media and/or draftnicks overhyped him a bit. Maybe the Jets were one of very few teams who rated him as a top 10 talent.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Could have gone - 

Thib

Williams

Hall at 35 (would not have needed to trade up for JJ)

Best CB at 38 (good value there)

All that and not have traded away any other picks. 
You still end up with 4 starters after two rounds - and then have the full rest of your draft. 

I like what JD but the Jets had a tremendous amount of resources that would have been very tough to blow. 

But let’s be real, this draft has been a home run so far (on paper).

The Jets have grabbed extremely good prospects that also fit their needs and weren’t taken early. In fact, the Jermaine Johnson pick could turn out to be a real steal.

For the second year in a row they added excellent WR & RB prospects to support their quarterback.

13 months ago this team did not have Garrett Wilson, Elijah Moore, Breece Hall and Michael Carter. Also, they added Ruckert last night. It’s been a perfect approach by a front office that spent 2020 and part of 2021 solidifying the OLine and getting its QB.

You can see the plan.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Facts said:

94DBE2DF-51E3-4276-BEE0-6DAC458EC9F6.jpeg

Karlaftis was supposed to be a top 10 pick a month ago then continued to drop rapidly. Hence why he was being mocked in the later picks 

I like both JJ and Karlaftis and would have liked both. I just think it’s funny how you said you don’t want to catch a guy who was falling then took karlaftis. 

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Could have gone - 

Thib

Williams

You still end up with 4 starters after two rounds - and then have the full rest of your draft. 

I like what JD but the Jets had a tremendous amount of resources that would have been very tough to blow. 

Agreed.

I think it was a good draft but as you mentioned I think it could have been even better.

4 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Karlaftis was supposed to be a top 10 pick a month ago then continued to drop rapidly. Hence why he was being mocked in the later picks 

I like both JJ and Karlaftis and would have liked both. I just think it’s funny how you said you don’t want to catch a guy who was falling then took karlaftis. 

I don’t agree that Karlaftis fell. Just because a few mocks had him in the top 10 months ago doesn’t mean that any team did and the betting odds showed that wasn’t the case. The betting odds nailed his position. It’s a false narrative to say Karlaftis fell.

But congrats, you’ll get people to like your post because they don’t know what you’re saying isn’t accurate.

No. Even with hindsight, I would not change a thing. The 1st round was perfect.

Edit - the only slot I would actually debate is #10. I think Jameson Williams has a higher upside than Wilson. Wilson is not too far from him talent wise and I get that we need someone asap. So I understand the pick.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I think the Jets went for the right culture types.   This team did not need Kayvon, even if he turns out to be good.   Its the Jamal Adams Hangover.

I am concerned about Garrett Wilson’s build.  Would have went with Jameson or traded 10 for a sturdier WR.  But hopefully I am proven wrong.  

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Could have gone - 

Thib

Williams

I could see that as well. Thibs at 4, J. Williams at 10, Hall at 35 and a CB like Andrew Booth at 38. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Weird logic in the OP.

I would’ve 

1) Taken Sauce: Best player in the draft

2) Taken Wilson: 2nd best receiver in the draft

3)Traded up for Karlaftis: He’s gonna be a better pass rusher than JJ. 

You agree with 2 of my 3 picks… yet it’s weird logic?

8 minutes ago, Facts said:

I don’t agree that Karlaftis fell. Just because a few mocks had him in the top 10 months ago doesn’t mean that any team did and the betting odds showed that wasn’t the case. The betting odds nailed his position. It’s a false narrative to say Karlaftis fell.

But congrats, you’ll get people to like your post because they don’t know what you’re saying isn’t accurate.

You seem bitter. It’s ok man. It’s a beautiful day today.  Go get some fresh air. I’m having a great time 

775BEFB1-1D53-48BA-9B80-312BC17CD1FC.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Just now, jamesr said:

I keep seeing the narrative that CBs are devalued, they're not allowed to play anymore, have less impact ... yet 8 teams picked one in the top 50 picks this year.

If WRs are top impact players on offense, then CBs are still impact players on defense. IMHO. Maybe not to blanket the WR and prevent completions, but a guy who can cover well, tackle well and limit the YAC is still valuable.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I get what you’re saying.

But to take a guy at #4 OVERALL for him to “cover well, tackle well and limit YAC” does not give me “best value” vibes.

Thats something you could get with Booth in the 2nd round.

At #4 overall i’m looking for a game wrecker. That’s Thibs.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think the Jets went for the right culture types.   This team did not need Kayvon, even if he turns out to be good.   Its the Jamal Adams Hangover.

I am concerned about Garrett Wilson’s build.  Would have went with Jameson or traded 10 for a sturdier WR.  But hopefully I am proven wrong.  

I don't know who's going to be better, but Jameson looks just as thin and slight as Wilson. 

Not to mention Wilson kept Jameson on the bench.  Hard to argue with taking the starter. 

Everyone keeps saying Jameson is the burner, but Wilson ran 4.3. 

Kid is fast too.