Becton is clearly in the Jets plans as a starting tackle for 2022

15 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Even if we do we should be looking for a strong depth piece like we did last year. Wilson would have been utterly screwed without Morgan Moses.

I agree 100%.  Depth is needed, always.    But Becton not suiting up at the end of the season for meaningless games and not showing up for OTAs last week and not lifting weights with the right technique and all the other chicken little crap we read in the media and on the board appear to be complete BS.  

• Sympathy 1

I think the Jets are just going to move him to right tackle. Other than that, he's definitely in their plans. I was a little surprised they didn't take a tackle in round 2 who could begin his career as a backup, and be insurance for Becton, and then eventually replace Fant in a year or two. But the Jets clearly believe in Becton. 

AVT can always slide outside and play tackle if they need him to do that. It's easier to replace guards than it is to replace tackles, so having someone with flexibility like the Jets do with AVT is important.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Even if we do we should be looking for a strong depth piece like we did last year. Wilson would have been utterly screwed without Morgan Moses.
With you on this, interested to see what JD does. Not a fan at all of Edoga, and McDermott is OK but not a guy to feel you're "set" with.

Even if we will lose Becton for the year, which many here believe is a matter of when rather than if, we have Fant to play LT and do a good job of it, meaning we need a replacement guy at RT. Hardly a spot that you have sleepless nights about.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

When he's on the field, he's a mauling bear.  

I've joked about his weight, and rightfully so if he really ballooned up to 400lbs, but I hope he uses it as motivation.  

He "seems" to be the type of guy that needs to be pushed by others... I'm just doing my part for the team. 

I think the Jets are just going to move him to right tackle. Other than that, he's definitely in their plans. I was a little surprised they didn't take a tackle in round 2 who could begin his career as a backup, and be insurance for Becton, and then eventually replace Fant in a year or two. But the Jets clearly believe in Becton. 
AVT can always slide outside and play tackle if they need him to do that. It's easier to replace guards than it is to replace tackles, so having someone with flexibility like the Jets do with AVT is important.
Good point about AVT. Not an ideal situation but a good contingency to have available. AVT at RT and have Feeney or ANO fill in at guard wouldn't be all that bad. I also wonder if they'll try to re-sign LDT as depth at guard, thought he did well for us last year.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

I suspect the Jets never had nearly as much of an issue with Becton as the narrative here would suggest.  The click-hungry journalists and some of the posters here had to find somewhere to turn their hate-lasers once Jamal and Sam were gone, and Becton and JD became the next targets to paint, with Mims and Quinnen drawing some fire as well.  Well JD has now put on a suit of reflective armor and is completely impervious so Becton is going to continue to draw fire until training camp starts. 

It's kind of a sad viscous cycle.  Random Twitter feed wants clicks.  Pick a player to bash.  Random people who love nothing more than to find something to drum up a baseless theory on so they can be first then repost it ad nauseum.  Then they start beating the drum to trade said player for a late pick so they can 'be right'.  Meanwhile, there is absolutely no evidence to support any of it.  If we still are taking guys like Cimini/Florio/Pauline/Hughes as fact-based gospel, we deserve it.  And I feel it makes this place less pleasant. 

Honestly, it's fine to post opinions that are negative.  Certainly well-deserved in many cases.  And there have been plenty of well-presented arguments about why things the team has done are stupid.  All good.  But attacking a player based on nothing but internet rumors without acknowledging that there may be context or information you don't have?  Without even acknowledging that it's an opinion and that you just might be mistaken?  That's the worst part of this place.

I agree completely on notion that Becton is A defacto starter (we don't know at which side) and that his health and fitness now becomes one of the key make or break factors for us this season. If Mekhi plays like he did as a rookie we should have one of the best running games in the league and Zach should have plenty of time to work (these things are related). 

On the narrative - I have a slightly more cynical take that JD used him as a smoke screen to obscure our pref for Sauce at 4. It's not just that Hughes (who I think is the most connected of our local guys) made randomly personal attacks on Mekhi, it's that Cimini did the same and more importantly that Hughes had been told Sauce was not their guy. Everyone including Rodgers on BR has referenced that they were told Iki was top of our board - which clearly wasn't true because we had him right there and chose to buy some condiments. Even as the pick came in Rodgers was expecting Iki and Hughes spent a lot of time on his pod yesterday talking about having been duped. 

All this to say, JD is a bit more Machiavellian than I realized and he had probably worked all this out with Mekhi in advance. 

Note: https://twitter.com/BigTicket73/status/1519873766997872640?t=Chs16txOgWlHawMGt7EYRg&s=19

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

I love Mekhi but JD is definitely concerned. Reading between the lines after we drafted Sauce it was pretty clear to me at least that the only reason they didn’t draft Icky is because Sauce was BPA.  

Personally I think that would’ve meant more trouble for Fant than Mekhi. Mekhi isn’t in a lot of hot water, but is still in more than he realizes.  

His Twitter rant against Cimini was childish. Kid needs to grow up and take everything more seriously.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I do like that they leaned into this tackle discussion, let those rumors go wild, and went the other way. Being a little more unpredictable is a refreshing change.

This was the more logical approach and hopefully Becton has a monster year.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

There is no way JD would jeopardize that with a big question mark at OT.  

Does this mean there is no question mark, or is it hoping that becton comes shows up and can play and then dealing with the issue as it goes? Might the Jets be adding someone still with their cap space?

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

JD said very adamantly that the plan at T this year was Becton and Fant.  It's only the haters who have given up on Becton.  I think he's going to shut a lot of people up, personally. 

I hope you're right. I'm not a hater, but I'm concerned given some of what has transpired. What do you think the back up plan is for injuries? Edoga? Go get another FA?

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Carl Lawson showed the coaching staff last summer that mekhi becton is not a LT.  The good news is, he can be an all pro RT if he is focused and stays healthy.  

The runs that will be broken off running right behind him and avt this year will be legendary.

Run Right!!!!!!

Yeah. Practices in helmets and shorts in August with designed sets and plays demonstrate everything.  When has Becton not performed in a real game?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

On the narrative - I have a slightly more cynical take that JD used him as a smoke screen to obscure our pref for Sauce at 4. It's not just that Hughes (who I think is the most connected of our local guys) made randomly personal attacks on Mekhi, it's that Cimini did the same and more importantly that Hughes had been told Sauce was not their guy. Everyone including Rodgers on BR has referenced that they were told Iki was top of our board - which clearly wasn't true because we had him right there and chose to buy some condiments. Even as the pick came in Rodgers was expecting Iki and Hughes spent a lot of time on his pod yesterday talking about having been duped. 

All this to say, JD is a bit more Machiavellian than I realized and he had probably worked all this out with Mekhi in advance. 

Yeah but Conner Hughs told me on his pod that Becton’s done, so it still must be true. 

• Haha 3