Jump to content

How good will our draft picks actually be?


Rhg1084
 Share

Recommended Posts

Ok so let’s go on a pick by pick basis here and project:

Sauce - I’ve seen some people say he’s the next Revis which let’s hold on with that comparison for a bit! Revis is one of the best of all time. What type of comp could he realistically be? Jalen Ramsey? 
 

Garret Wilson - I’ve seen the Calvin Ridley comp with him. Which if he puts up Calvin Ridley numbers meaning he’d be a top 10 WR in the league. Is top a top 10 WR too lofty of a projection?

Jermaine Johnson - honestly I have no idea what to expect from him or what type of comp he gets. Ill be happy as long as he gets maybe like 5-6 sacks. Could he possibly explode and be like a 15 sack type of guy?

Breece Hall - honestly the more I research this guy I think he could be one of the best backs in the league. He looks dynamic and wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a top 5 back by next year

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hall will have the best rookie season. NFL ready, fits perfectly into a system that lets RBs feast. Wouldn't be surprised if he's in the offensive RPOY convo.

Gardner will get burned here and there because all rookie DBs do. Overall I think he'll flash elite talent often enough that people will feel really good about him entering year 2.

Wilson will likely be the player deemed having the "worst" rookie year; less because of him and more due to all the options Zach has now to spread the ball around, and rookie WRs struggle to break out unless they're truly elite. I like the player and think he'll be fine but I'm sure the stat line will look less impressive than people want.

Johnson will mix into the rotation immediately and I think will have a quick impact. Hoping for 6-8 sacks next to a healthy Lawson. 

Ruckert it's also hard to say. He'll enter as TE3 but will have every chance to ascend. Just hoping for strong blocking and timely big catches from him in year 1.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Carnival Barker said:

Hall will have the best rookie season. NFL ready, fits perfectly into a system that lets RBs feast. Wouldn't be surprised if he's in the offensive RPOY convo.

Gardner will get burned here and there because all rookie DBs do. Overall I think he'll flash elite talent often enough that people will feel really good about him entering year 2.

Wilson will likely be the player deemed having the "worst" rookie year; less because of him and more due to all the options Zach has now to spread the ball around, and rookie WRs struggle to break out unless they're truly elite. I like the player and think he'll be fine but I'm sure the stat line will look less impressive than people want.

Johnson will mix into the rotation immediately and I think will have a quick impact. Hoping for 6-8 sacks next to a healthy Lawson. 

Ruckert it's also hard to say. He'll enter as TE3 but will have every chance to ascend. Just hoping for strong blocking and timely big catches from him in year 1.

It's an unusual year when there really isn't a rookie QB who is likely to start except possibly Pickett.  So removing QBs from the equation, it comes down to WRs and RBs.  At WRs, there could certainly be a surprise, but nobody jumps out like Chase from last year.  Then again, nobody really saw Justin Jefferson coming (not to that extent).  My hope is that the only guy who threatens Hall for OROY is G. Wilson.

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Carnival Barker said:

Hall will have the best rookie season. NFL ready, fits perfectly into a system that lets RBs feast. Wouldn't be surprised if he's in the offensive RPOY convo.

Gardner will get burned here and there because all rookie DBs do. Overall I think he'll flash elite talent often enough that people will feel really good about him entering year 2.

Wilson will likely be the player deemed having the "worst" rookie year; less because of him and more due to all the options Zach has now to spread the ball around, and rookie WRs struggle to break out unless they're truly elite. I like the player and think he'll be fine but I'm sure the stat line will look less impressive than people want.

Johnson will mix into the rotation immediately and I think will have a quick impact. Hoping for 6-8 sacks next to a healthy Lawson. 

Ruckert it's also hard to say. He'll enter as TE3 but will have every chance to ascend. Just hoping for strong blocking and timely big catches from him in year 1.

Pretty good analysis. The good news is that there is reason for hope with this group of players. No one is scratching their heads at this draft. Most are very pleased at JD's ability to get the players he wanted. That's a great start.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most of these players Jets drafted have a high consensus evaluation.

Sauce...best corner in the draft

Garrett Wilson...best wideout in the draft...but IMO due to Jameson Williams injury.

Jermaine Johnson...4th rated in a very deep Edge class.

Breece Hall...best RB in the draft.

Jeremy Ruckert...Chris Simms rated him top TE, probably a top 5. 

 

It's one helluva draft.  Now it's up to the coaching staff to get them playing up to their potential.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure but here’s my order of confidence that they will be good

1. Breece Hall

2. Garrett Wilson

3. Sauce Gardner

4. Jermaine Johnson

 

I feel really good that the first 3 will be at least good. Jermaine Johnson I think has the lowest floor.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Johnson will be a solid player off the bat. At 24 there's probably more pressure on him to be an early contributor

Turned 23 in January 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall are on opposite sides of the same teater totter. 

If Wilson, Moore, Coery D are running wild catching pass after pass, I can't see LeFleur dialing up Breece Hall and the Run Game (save possibly in the 4th Q).

On the other hand, If ZW is struggling, Hall could come in and become a game-savior. See? Up/Down...Down/Up.

I know we want to be a run first team that throws the ball off play action, so if all goes perfectly to plan there may be room for both Hall and Wilson to have big games. But LeFleur's perfect game plan will get laid to waste as soon as our offense get punched in the face (Mike Tyson!)

oh, 'Only The Jets' things like Zack Wilson's first  pass to G Wilson get picked off for pick-6. Breece Hall fumbles his first carry. Becton gets beat 5 times and ZW goes down 12 times in our first game. You know, Jets things.

But hey, maybe Hall breaks his first 3 runs for 50 yards, the D moves up to stop him, and Zack hits G Wilson on a play action over the top for a 50 yard TD strike!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall are on opposite sides of the same teater totter. 

If Wilson, Moore, Coery D are running wild catching pass after pass, I can't see LeFleur dialing up Breece Hall and the Run Game (save possibly in the 4th Q).

On the other hand, If ZW is struggling, Hall could come in and become a game-savior. See? Up/Down...Down/Up.

I know we want to be a run first team that throws the ball off play action, so if all goes perfectly to plan there may be room for both Hall and Wilson to have big games. But LeFleur's perfect game plan will get laid to waste as soon as our offense get punched in the face (Mike Tyson!)

oh, 'Only The Jets' things like Zack Wilson's first  pass to G Wilson get picked off for pick-6. Breece Hall fumbles his first carry. Becton gets beat 5 times and ZW goes down 12 times in our first game. You know, Jets things.

But hey, maybe Hall breaks his first 3 runs for 50 yards, the D moves up to stop him, and Zack hits G Wilson on a play action over the top for a 50 yard TD strike!!!!!

Hall will be key to the passing game because he will make our play action worth reacting to.  He will get plenty of carries early (in rotation with Carter) and late.  I also think he and Carter can make our screen game elite. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love our first 4.    Holding penalties for 1st downs in the NFL are just something we will have to live with for awhile.   They suck but having a very physical CB like Sauce who hasn't yet established himself is going to come with some really frustrating penalties.   Still love the player.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You never know, some have pointed out that we were excited about the 2020 class. However, this is, possibly, just different. 

1. Unless RBs get injured, you somewhat know what you got. Breece is going to produce. Interesting thought: Between him and G-Dub you get some of the production you want from Deebo. I know they aren't Deebo, it's just that between the two of them you get strong running, patient running, good routes, screens, catching out of the backfield, the whole route tree, speed, etc.

2. Sauce is, at least, a #1 corner. I think he's all pro pretty fast. He's a no-brainer. 

3. JJ is the question mark. For whatever reason he fell, or whatever baggage he has, there might be something there. But right now, he is saying the right things. All three these young men (first rounders) seem humble, hungry, teachable, and confident. 

4. Hard to see G-Dub pulling a Mims (still hoping Mims becomes a steady NFL receiver). The analysis on him was, no matter where you had him ranked with receivers, he's ready to go on day 1. If Jameson comes back 100%, he might be a stud but Wilson is ready now.

5. And Ruckert is a football player, period. He'll contribute. Awesome size too.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Given our line has upgraded Hall should be a slam dunk to produce. We're gonna be a run first team and it's a very promising 1-2 combo. A tocuhdown machine in college so I think he'll be the guy for those looking fantasy points. 

💯 

This team is built to run the football.

The OLine is solid…and then they added a Pro Bowler in Laken Tomlinson.

Michael Carter was good last year. Then they added Breece Hall.

All our TEs can block… Uzomah, Conklin, Ruckert.

This was after adding guys like Becton and AVT in previous years.

2nd year of the scheme under LaFleur.

And, the sugar on top? Defenses needing to keep honest about the Jets passing game with deep threats like Garrett Wilson and Elijah Moore streaking down the field.

Let’s finally make life tough on Safeties.

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have watched Breece Hall get beat by Iowa several times the past few years and watched him on many other occasions as well.  Simply running the ball and body size/speed combo, he reminds me a lot of Edgerrin James.  That’s not to say he will be that good, but as a runner that’s what comes to mind.  Not nearly as accomplished a pass catcher though.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:
  • Given our line has upgraded Hall should be a slam dunk to produce. We're gonna be a run first team and it's a very promising 1-2 combo. A tocuhdown machine in college so I think he'll be the guy for those looking fantasy points. 
  • Sauce and Wilson may take a while to settle. Even some of the best in those positions often struggle early on. That said more and more rookie WR's do seem to be producing in recent years and I think LaFleur will find a way to get the ball in Wilson's hands a lot. 
  • Johnson will be a solid player off the bat. At 24 there's probably more pressure on him to be an early contributor but I think it's a safe bet that he will. Plays the run well so even at worst he can be a guy to do a job on early downs and Bryce Huff can stick to what he does best. Takes a lot of the pressure of Carl Lawson, who we may be able to rotate in and out until he's back to his best. 
  • Ruckert will probably see the field more than people think. Even if he's third string I think he's the best blocker of the group who will see playing time in situations where that's needed. 

All are sure to be contributors if not starters in year one. People should temper their early expectations with Sauce. Very few come in and dominate off the bat. Penalties are likely to be an issue until he gets a feel for what he can/can't get away with. It's a very exciting group though and you have to hope it's a game changer. 

As pretty a level headed and fair an analysis one could do.

I think they are big fans of, not only sauce's measurables, but his penchant for study and work ethic. I think you're spot on with the penalties prediction.

Wilson I heard they felt he would grasp all the receiver concepts the best.

Personally, as a pass rusher, I think Johnson and Lawson are a pretty good comparison but as you said Johnson has the upper hand at setting the edge and run defense. 

Honestly don't know much about the TE other than he seems to be pretty well rounded. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel like Hall and Gardner are high floor and high ceiling guys. I can't really imagine them not being at least + starters.

Wilson and Johnson feel a little more boom or bust. Lots of potential but I'm less certain they're locks.

All four have a legitimately high ceiling though. I'm hopeful this will be a franchise changing draft.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm the biggest pessimist there is, and from the looks of it, there have never been smaller question marks next to players names in Jets draft modern history. All of these guys look like contributors. As always, who the hell knows. Pre-draft comps and predictions are often worthless, but let's face it - we just got a bunch of ballers.

Passing on Breece Hall and going for need is old Jets. Desperate, depleted Jets. Going for a stud to compliment Michael Carter? That's what you do when you're ready to go to battle. Think about how many stud Running Backs Saleh had in SF. They were cutting and bruising and slashing all over the place. Friggin' track meet every game. That's where we're heading if we draw it up right.

The biggest, absolutely #1 factor for this year will be our almost worst in the league schedule. Just terrible. But if we see us hanging in there and competing, and keeping the other team's scores low, we are in it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it took Revis until year 3 before he truly flourished.  So I'll be patient with Sauce. 

JJ I'm not sure about.  It's certainly not going to be a "redshirt year".  I expect some production.

Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall I expect to be good year 1. 

Ruckert I think will get some snaps but won't be the main guy unless forced into the lineup due to injuries.  But I think he'll do very well.  And I expect a lot of good things from him over the coming years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Hall will be key to the passing game because he will make our play action worth reacting to.  He will get plenty of carries early (in rotation with Carter) and late.  I also think he and Carter can make our screen game elite. 

That's the key. If our D can play decent, and our run-first game plan actually moves the ball and we put up points, then LeFleur won't have to ditch our run game so soon. PLEASE WORK OUT!!!!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Ok so let’s go on a pick by pick basis here and project:

Sauce - I’ve seen some people say he’s the next Revis which let’s hold on with that comparison for a bit! Revis is one of the best of all time. What type of comp could he realistically be? Jalen Ramsey? 
 

Garret Wilson - I’ve seen the Calvin Ridley comp with him. Which if he puts up Calvin Ridley numbers meaning he’d be a top 10 WR in the league. Is top a top 10 WR too lofty of a projection?

Jermaine Johnson - honestly I have no idea what to expect from him or what type of comp he gets. Ill be happy as long as he gets maybe like 5-6 sacks. Could he possibly explode and be like a 15 sack type of guy?

Breece Hall - honestly the more I research this guy I think he could be one of the best backs in the league. He looks dynamic and wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a top 5 back by next year

Garret Wilson = Lynne Swan! Shut up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I have watched Breece Hall get beat by Iowa several times the past few years and watched him on many other occasions as well.  Simply running the ball and body size/speed combo, he reminds me a lot of Edgerrin James.  That’s not to say he will be that good, but as a runner that’s what comes to mind.  Not nearly as accomplished a pass catcher though.

I'm amazed no one has commented on your ability to compliment the player while still making sure we all know he couldn't beat your Hawkeyes.  Well done😁

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

You never know, some have pointed out that we were excited about the 2020 class. However, this is, possibly, just different. 

1. Unless RBs get injured, you somewhat know what you got. Breece is going to produce. Interesting thought: Between him and G-Dub you get some of the production you want from Deebo. I know they aren't Deebo, it's just that between the two of them you get strong running, patient running, good routes, screens, catching out of the backfield, the whole route tree, speed, etc.

2. Sauce is, at least, a #1 corner. I think he's all pro pretty fast. He's a no-brainer. 

3. JJ is the question mark. For whatever reason he fell, or whatever baggage he has, there might be something there. But right now, he is saying the right things. All three these young men (first rounders) seem humble, hungry, teachable, and confident. 

4. Hard to see G-Dub pulling a Mims (still hoping Mims becomes a steady NFL receiver). The analysis on him was, no matter where you had him ranked with receivers, he's ready to go on day 1. If Jameson comes back 100%, he might be a stud but Wilson is ready now.

5. And Ruckert is a football player, period. He'll contribute. Awesome size too.

Keep hearing it mentioned about JJ dropping so much, but the Falcons and Jets WR picks at 8 and 10 seemed to trigger a run on WRs maybe causing panic on other teams. So, that domino affect seemed to get JJ to drop down to 26. Same thing I recall occurred when Aaron Rodgers fell down to 26 where all other teams had needs beside QB. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Keep hearing it mentioned about JJ dropping so much, but the Falcons and Jets WR picks at 8 and 10 seemed to trigger a run on WRs maybe causing panic on other teams. So, that domino affect seemed to get JJ to drop down to 26. Same thing I recall occurred when Aaron Rodgers fell down to 26 where all other teams had needs beside QB. 

Good thoughts. Could be just like what happened with Aaron (and if it's something else, he sure seems like he's here to play ball and not get distracted). To your point, kook at the QBs this year, in general they dropped lower than people thought. Different analysts had JJ rated at different spots, but I've heard enough to know that most had him somewhere in their top 15. So excited for this team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...