Jets Roster Analysis: Winners & Losers from the Draft

• Mims will only get better, and maybe he can be a combo short yardage/red zone guy.   He ultimately gets the Jets a comp/draft pick when a team more suited to his profile trades for him/signs him in 2 years.
  • I would have drafted another LB rather than the 4th picks we picked.  You have to trust the experts I guess.l
  • One of the RBs will stick in some capacity.  Not both.  Need at least 2 on the PS.
  • Its time for Wesco to move on.  Give Yeboah a chance on the PS. 
  • Let Chuma try and beat out Mitchell. 
  • Let the Edges fight it out.  

There will be plenty of injuries, so who knows how this ends up.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Id put Bryce Hall in the loser category.  I love him and think hes good but it will take a heck of a camp for him to beat out Reed or Sauce.

This. Hall and/or Echols. Hall might actually transition to Safety. I don't know how Echols doesn't get bumped down to dimeback/backup in the depth chart. The Jets 100% plan to stick both Sauce and DJ Reed on the outside and keep Carter II in the slot.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I am predicting final 53 for DT/DL/DE in no particular order

Jacob Martin

Carl Lawson

Bryce Huff

Jermain Johnson

Michael Clemons

Solomon Thomas

John Franklin-Myers

Jonathan Marshall

Sheldon Rankins

Quinnen Williams

I think Huff is safe - the others not mentioned are the losers

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Since they spend most of the time with 3 CB there is a good chance this ends up being

CB1= Sause

CB2 = Hall

NB = Reed

DB = MCII

and MCII is the loser here (in snap counts)

Apparently Echols changed his Twitter profile from Cornerback to Cornerback/Nickel back.

Bryce Hall is probably CB3 on the outside behind Sauce and Reed.  Echols is probably behind Michael Carter in the slot/nickel.

The CB group got upgraded big time this year.

• Upvote 4

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Apparently Echols changed his Twitter profile from Cornerback to Cornerback/Nickel back.

Bryce Hall is probably CB3 on the outside behind Sauce and Reed.  Echols is probably behind Michael Carter in the slot/nickel.

The CB group got upgraded big time this year.

Reed is small and has played NB in past 2 teams

He also just got paid - and will do whatever they say at this point.

4 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Which players on the current Jets roster came out of the 2022 draft as "Winners" and which seem to have come out as "Losers"

WINNERS

1. QB Zach Wilson
    Jets added a top WR, the top RB, a good TE prospect, and a backup OL in the draft.  Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall will be immediate contributors and Ruckert will help out as the season goes on.
  2. WR Denzel Mims 
    Yes the Jets drafted a WR, but they didn't draft 2.  As of right now, Mims is the 5th WR on the roster. Not taking a WR in the middle rounds either means 1) the Jets think Mims still has potential or 2) they will try to sign a FA later.  But for now at least, Mims is a winner
  3. OT Mekhi Becton
    Jets didn't pick on the 3 top OTs available at #4.  They did add an OT in the 4th round, but for right now, the rumors of Becton's demise seem to be greatly exaggerated
  4. DT Jonathan Marshall
    Big defensive lineman played well as the year progressed and seems to be firmly entrenched in the team's long term plans - passed on several good DTs in the 3rd and 4th round
  5. The "Safetybackers"
     Jamien Sherwood and Hamsah Nasirildeen struggled mightily at times last year and ended up being hurt.  Jets had a chance to draft a good LBs but didn't pick one.  Jamien and Hamsah can breath a sigh of relief for now

LOSERS

1. RBs LaMichael Perine and Ty Johnson
    Trying desperately to trade up into the 1st round for a RB is bad news for Perine, a perpetually injured Jets draftee and Johnson, who at least made some decent contributions when called upon.  At this point, you have to figure both will be gone come cutdown day
  2. TEs Trevon Wesco and Kenny Yeboah
    Jeremy Ruckert is probably taking Wesco's spot although he could hang on as a 4th TE/FB.  Yeboah seems like a good guy and he has talent, but Practice Squad looks like his best option
  3. OT Chuma Edoga 
    Hard to think of any scenario where drafting a swing OT in the 4th round is good news for the swing tackle currently on the roster
  4. Edge's Bryce Huff, Tim Ward, Jabari Zuniga, Hamilcar Rashed
    Drafting 2 Edge defenders means "adios" to Ward and Zuniga for sure.  MAYBE Huff can stick since he is pretty solid when healthy.  Zuniga might make the Practice Squad.  

In the past two Drafts the Jets have added 2 starting caliber WRs and 2 starting caliber RBs.

Bumps everyone else down in those position groups.  At RB Perine seems to absolutely be a goner.  The question is what happens with Coleman and Ty Johnson?  Only one of them may stick at RB3.

At WR the question is who gets the WR5 spot?  I'm not sold it's Mims.  He will have to battle in camp with Jeff Smith and potentially others.  But the Top surely seem to be Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, Garrett Wilson and Braxton Berrios.  Several of those guys can play both inside and outside which is nice.  I hope Mims has a great camp and truly earns WR5.  With the height profile of this WR group he does bring something to the table that's different.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, varjet said:

I would have drafted another LB rather than the 4th picks we picked.  You have to trust the experts I guess.l

I really do think the Jets like their LB's a lot more than we do.  Saleh has said as much.

They like Williams - think he can be an all-pro and remember the two rookies last year were making a transition from S to LB - in a new system, as rookies - On an awful roster.  They likely see something in them as well.  

I just think, as fans, we're off on the whole desperate need for LB thing. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

They see him on the outside now.  Sure, his size isn't ideal but he's proven he's more than a NB...

733673674_ScreenShot2022-04-30at3_36_26PM.png.0a3053585d9e52442b52269ee632052a.png

that was before the draft and if I was planning on drafting Sauce - I think I would want to telegraph that I no longer need CB...

but hey - its just my opinion so agree to disagree and we shall see wont we - Hall will eventually come out of this as CB2...unless of course they trade him which I doubt cause that would be dumb no matter his role.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, varjet said:
  • Mims will only get better, and maybe he can be a combo short yardage/red zone guy.   He ultimately gets the Jets a comp/draft pick when a team more suited to his profile trades for him/signs him in 2 years.
  • I would have drafted another LB rather than the 4th picks we picked.  You have to trust the experts I guess.l
  • One of the RBs will stick in some capacity.  Not both.  Need at least 2 on the PS.
  • Its time for Wesco to move on.  Give Yeboah a chance on the PS. 
  • Let Chuma try and beat out Mitchell. 
  • Let the Edges fight it out.  

There will be plenty of injuries, so who knows how this ends up.  

I agree with everything except for Mims.  How do you know he will get better?  He was a lost fart in the wind last season, and did nothing to help himself when he got the opportunities.

If he comes back and plays well, then maybe he will have gotten some electric shock therapy, or spent a great deal of time with a therapist?  I hope he comes back and plays great, but it's hard for me to believe it will happen.

18 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Reed is small and has played NB in past 2 teams

He also just got paid - and will do whatever they say at this point.

He was better on the outside. Reed will be CB#2 on the outside. Saleh even said that he misused Reed in the slot.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

He was better on the outside. Reed will be CB#2 on the outside. Saleh even said that he misused Reed in the slot.

good teams always try to put their best players on field at the same time.  Since they will be using 3 CB most of the time - the 3 best CB are Sauce, Hall, and Reed.

Hall is a better CB than MCII .  No CB will get the same kind of stats being on inside since easier to get burned that's why they want to be on outside. 

but hey just my opinion every one has one and we shall see.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

At WR the question is who gets the WR5 spot?  I'm not sold it's Mims.  He will have to battle in camp with Jeff Smith and potentially others.  But the Top surely seem to be Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, Garrett Wilson and Braxton Berrios.  Several of those guys can play both inside and outside which is nice.  I hope Mims has a great camp and truly earns WR5.  With the height profile of this WR group he does bring something to the table that's different.

Davis is likely a goner after this year.  He carries a dead cap hit of < $1 million in 2023.  Rather than trying to turn Mims into a Swiss army knife (muh "route tree"), I hope they just have him focus on becoming effective as Davis's back up with the hope he can take over next year. If not, suspect we're drafting another WR in the early rounds again...

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Alka said:

I agree with everything except for Mims.  How do you know he will get better?  He was a lost fart in the wind last season, and did nothing to help himself when he got the opportunities.

If he comes back and plays well, then maybe he will have gotten some electric shock therapy, or spent a great deal of time with a therapist?  I hope he comes back and plays great, but it's hard for me to believe it will happen.

My point on Mims was not that I have seen anything positive (although I guess there have been some positive rumblings) or that I know anything to have confidence in him. 

It is rather that I think it is impossible that Mims this year can be any worse than last year.  Mims’ 2021 was one of the worst performances of a Jets player (who was not cut) that I think I had ever seen.  

14 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Since they spend most of the time with 3 CB there is a good chance this ends up being

CB1= Sause

CB2 = Hall

NB = Reed

DB = MCII

and MCII is the loser here (in snap counts)

MCII is your starting slot . That Saleh guy. Hall on other hand we know the staff isnt overly high one.

14 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Id put Bryce Hall in the loser category.  I love him and think hes good but it will take a heck of a camp for him to beat out Reed or Sauce.

He won't beat them out, but they play nickel about 70% of the time, so he'll still get tons of playing time.

• Sympathy 1

Being a "starter" at CB these days is kind of meaningless with the amout of 3 and 4 WR sets teams run these days. Hall will see the field plenty.

Yea. For sure. Just gonna post that. Doubt he beats out either for obvious reasons  I'll  lay off the gifs when you do your Douglas posting. He really had a great draft. I was never a Douglas detractor. Just thought you're praise was a little over the top.

14 hours ago, PepPep said:

This. Hall and/or Echols. Hall might actually transition to Safety. I don't know how Echols doesn't get bumped down to dimeback/backup in the depth chart. The Jets 100% plan to stick both Sauce and DJ Reed on the outside and keep Carter II in the slot.  

I think the difference is that most of @Sarge4Tide’s losers are guys who are going to be looking for work, and may find themselves out of the league. Hall and Echols will both make the team. The CB position went from mostly a liability with a couple promising young guys to one of the best best groups in the league this offseason. With questions still at safety, I’d expect Hall to continue to get on the field quite a bit. Definitely a position where you need solid depth, and the Jets now have it. 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

I am predicting final 53 for DT/DL/DE in no particular order

Jacob Martin

Carl Lawson

Bryce Huff

Jermain Johnson

Michael Clemons

Solomon Thomas

John Franklin-Myers

Jonathan Marshall

Sheldon Rankins

Quinnen Williams

I think Huff is safe - the others not mentioned are the losers

I don't think we can carry 10 defensive linemen on a 53 man roster

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, slats said:

I think the difference is that most of @Sarge4Tide’s losers are guys who are going to be looking for work, and may find themselves out of the league. Hall and Echols will both make the team. The CB position went from mostly a liability with a couple promising young guys to one of the best best groups in the league this offseason. With questions still at safety, I’d expect Hall to continue to get on the field quite a bit. Definitely a position where you need solid depth, and the Jets now have it. 

Yea, I guess you're right. Although then you can just go right down the CB depth chart and guys like Guidry and Justin Hardee would be on the chopping block. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, varjet said:

My point on Mims was not that I have seen anything positive (although I guess there have been some positive rumblings) or that I know anything to have confidence in him. 

It is rather that I think it is impossible that Mims this year can be any worse than last year.  Mims’ 2021 was one of the worst performances of a Jets player (who was not cut) that I think I had ever seen.  

Well, I guess I will agree that Mims can't be any worse than last year.  But, if he is no better than last year, then he seriously needs to be cut before opening day.  I'm sure you agree with that as well.

As far as the positive rumblings, any Jets fan will hope that this means something.  I hope it does.  But, you need to prove it on the field, and if Mims does come back with a vengeance, then he must win "comeback player of the year", since he could not have played any worse than last year.

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I don't think we can carry 10 defensive linemen on a 53 man roster

I think the Jets have a tough choice here

Rankins didn't really play that well but I believe the kept him this off season when they could have cut him if I am not mistaken

Marshall rode most of the season as healthy scratch

Marhsall really needs to show he belongs during TC and pre-season games if not i'm afraid he will hit the waiver wires and chances are another team will pick him up

Just yesterday JD and Saleh said they like to give picks 3 years....so whatever that is worth as well.

12 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Perine and Zuniga should never have been drafted. The 2020 draft failure is slowly purging itself.

The coaching staff must get over whatever they have been hating on Mims about and find a way to get him involved.

ZW has to stop this nasty habit of targeting Berrios most of the time as well. 

I think it's becoming clear that the 2020 draft was heavily influenced by Gase and his staff.

The way JD and Saleh are working together shows you that JD was working the same way with Gase and bringing in players for his and William's systems.  

Perine looks a lot like a 30 year old Gore and Zuniga is a fit for a 3-4 defense.  

It's not an excuse for the poor draft, but most of those players looked better as rookies than second year players in the wrong system. 

• Upvote 1