Post Draft: 2 Remaining Holes, How Do We Fill?

I share most everyone’s enthusiasm and applaud JD’s approach.  I almost vomited at suggestions of trading down including for 2023 picks.  Jets desperately need elite/explosive players, and JD went and grabbed the few with high floors & high ceilings!  Not only that, but players who can make an impact right away.  

We are now set up to be competitive this year with Wildcard a reasonable goal.  Staying healthy, player development (Wilson, Moore, AVT, Carter(s)), & rookie ramp up speed will tell us where we fall in the range of 7-10 wins.

That said, in my opinion, we still have 2 glaring weaknesses, just too many holes to fill via the first wave of FA & the Draft.  

1. LB who can cover TEs & has the instincts to hit the rushing lanes and kill the RB screen game.  We were awful at this last year, let’s not forget.

2. DT who can clog the middle and stop the run.  And help minimize double teaming Q.

Given these apparent needs, It was interesting to see the Jets get another Edge with their second 4th round pick.  Possibly BPA strategy, maybe something else up their sleeve looking at available NFL FAs, or confidence in the current roster post draft including the development of last year’s rookie LBs and DT Jonathan Marshall.

What do you think?

Hopefully Hamsah can step in and play well at LB. He should have the skill set for that. 

If we can’t cover the TE and RB screens, we are not beating the Dolphins and Patriots.

If we can’t split with the Dolphins and Patriots, it will be hard to win more than 6 games next season.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

Hopefully Hamsah can step in and play well at LB. He should have the skill set for that. 

If we can’t cover the TE and RB screens, we are not beating the Dolphins and Patriots.

If we can’t split with the Dolphins and Patriots, it will be hard to win more than 6 games next season.

Great point on Dolphins and Pats.  Pats especially will take advantage and are designed to do exactly that.  Short passing game.

Most don’t seem to be worried about these slots or at least the interest as a topic isn’t that great (vs WRs or a swing tackle).  But it is a need until it isn’t and it will be interesting to see how JD addresses.  Who knows?  Maybe we sign an experienced FA in the next few weeks after first seeing the young bucks’ progress.

36 minutes ago, varjet said:

yep.  we don't know if either of those converted safeties can play the position.  they need to get on the field.  maybe quincy can play better and not be so much of a guided missile.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I share most everyone’s enthusiasm and applaud JD’s approach.  I almost vomited at suggestions of trading down including for 2023 picks.  Jets desperately need elite/explosive players, and JD went and grabbed the few with high floors & high ceilings!  Not only that, but players who can make an impact right away.  

We are now set up to be competitive this year with Wildcard a reasonable goal.  Staying healthy, player development (Wilson, Moore, AVT, Carter(s)), & rookie ramp up speed will tell us where we fall in the range of 7-10 wins.

That said, in my opinion, we still have 2 glaring weaknesses, just too many holes to fill via the first wave of FA & the Draft.  

1. LB who can cover TEs & has the instincts to hit the rushing lanes and kill the RB screen game.  We were awful at this last year, let’s not forget.

2. DT who can clog the middle and stop the run.  And help minimize double teaming Q.

Given these apparent needs, It was interesting to see the Jets get another Edge with their second 4th round pick.  Possibly BPA strategy, maybe something else up their sleeve looking at available NFL FAs, or confidence in the current roster post draft including the development of last year’s rookie LBs and DT Jonathan Marshall.

What do you think?

Run-stuffers?  I guess Linvale Joseph is the best guy out there who would probably do a 1-2 year deal.  He's big and productive.  Might not be cheap, but for a short deal, if we have the cap, he's an interesting option.

Akiem Hicks is also available and fits the bill.

Gonna assume Sheldon is not under consideration LOL.

The most controversial name out there would be Suh.  Still pretty good at generating pressure but not sure how much of a run-stuffer he is.  Probably not a good fit and almost definitely not the type of guy this team is generally seeking.

---

As for LB, there's one name out there that stands out.  I wouldn't think to sign him now, but if we had an injury, Dont'e Hightower could probably fill in pretty well.  He's sort of couch-surfing right now waiting for the right offer to come in.  

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, varjet said:

If we can't stop the run and the TE's and RB"s are wide open, we aren't beating anyone.  That's why the defense is on the field for those long drives.  Need that linebacker and a solid, run stuffer.

With all the holes we had, it's impossible to fill them all unless some internal players step up.  Maybe Shepard picks up where he left off and continues to improve.  Maybe one of those 2021 late round safeties steps up or the linebacker they recently signed form the Niners.

They really improved in this draft.  I think our second-round pick will be a huge difference maker.  Our line is full of solid run blockers.  Carter and Hall will exploit those holes, slow the pass rush and move the chains. 

• Post of the Week 2

19 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Run-stuffers?  I guess Linvale Joseph is the best guy out there who would probably do a 1-2 year deal.  He's big and productive.  Might not be cheap, but for a short deal, if we have the cap, he's an interesting option.

Akiem Hicks is also available and fits the bill.

Gonna assume Sheldon is not under consideration LOL.

The most controversial name out there would be Suh.  Still pretty good at generating pressure but not sure how much of a run-stuffer he is.  Probably not a good fit and almost definitely not the type of guy this team is generally seeking.

---

As for LB, there's one name out there that stands out.  I wouldn't think to sign him now, but if we had an injury, Dont'e Hightower could probably fill in pretty well.  He's sort of couch-surfing right now waiting for the right offer to come in.  

Hicks would definitely be my pick but I'm sure a lot of the evaluation will have to do with scheme. Foley was one of the premiere run stuffers in the NFL for years but struggled along with everyone else in that scheme. Rankins was a huge miss. Sheldon went to sh*t the day he left us so maybe he needs us to get going again lol. I think Suh is washed and not sure Saleh would want to coach him. 

I think all the reports that they're happy with LB seem to be true, which is pretty bizarre. They know they're stuck with Mosley I guess but Quincy Williams really doesn't feel like an NFL starter. Hopefully one of the younger guys step up. 

• Sympathy 1

Remember that game when the Raiders ran on us like 20 times in a row?  I am still not seeing this team stop the run.  If I am the Dolphins or Patriots, I am running them ball down our throats.  

If we can’t stop the run, the RB screen and the TE, we are toast.   We are relying on Mosley to stop the run?  If I am JD I am fixing this NOW, or else, despite the great draft and improvements, he will be toasters.  Someone else will get credit for his good work, in 2024.  

• Sympathy 1

Yep, good to see I’m not the only one worried despite an EXCELLENT draft and early FA as well.  

I guess we’ll see what happens in the coming weeks and months.  Fill these holes and the defense has a chance to be special.  I’m just not betting on guys like Sherwood, Nas, Rankins or Marshall.  Not yet at least.  

But for now, a lot to be excited about!