Jump to content

Not saying Saleh is THE guy, but he’s the right guy for right now!


jetstream23
 Share

Recommended Posts

We'll see. It's a fickle business.

He has some pieces to work with defensively now - We can't see anything like that Indianapolis fiasco again next season or there'll be serious questions. He's obviously a great communicator and I think that's a huge asset with these guys but the test is what happens on the field. Herm, Mangini and Rex were all the greatest things in the world until they weren't. Except Gase he just sucked.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He sucked, free agents avoided this team like it was a toxic waste dump, and the best you can say about his handling of young players is that the corners seemed to be in position more often than not last year (but they still spent the four overall on a corner this year?). This is happy horsesh*t by Douglas who is on a serotonin high from getting Jermaine Johnson, but spare me the Saleh fellatio until be wins more than five games with all these now-experienced young talents that he just, coincidentally, had to replace or supplement in this year’s draft. 

  • Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Motivator- A

Teacher/coach- A

Mentor- A

Strategist- TBD

Game manager- B

As most have, said he seems to be a great motivator and coach in regards to teaching. I would imagine he's someone who would pick up the phone at 2am and help out whoever is on the other end. Seems willing to let his colonels and majors do the jobs they are supposed to do but accepts that, at the end of the day the buck stops with him.

As far as game management, I don't remember any glaring WTF moments. Not saying there weren't any, just that it definitely wasn't like Rex with clock gaffes regularly. 

I haven't seen enough to say he's gonna out fox the other team but as Joe pointed out, he was asked to develop rookies last year, not necessary win games.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This has now become the shart or get off the pot season for Saleh and JD.  The safety net has been removed. Built in excuses have been removed. There is no reason why this roster and coaching staff can't have this team "in the hunt" late into the season. There is adequate talent and depth on this team to make teams think twice when they see The New York Jets on their schedule. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really feel excited for Zach Wilson.  This offense has been tailored for his mobility and arm talent to take advantage of. 

Zach didn't throw a pick over those last five games.  Even though...game by game in that stretch...his weapons and OL kept going down with injuries.  Zach kept his cool and poise. 

Now...ZW has a full arsenal...and a well balanced set...of weapons to operate with.  A revamped OL in 2022...with the additions of Becton and Tomlinson.  He will shine in this offense.  ZW will rock 'n roll.  Putting on that scoreboard way more points.  And cement himself as FQB NYJ. 

That will reflect back...to JD-Saleh-CS...making them look real good.  Saving their jobs from getting pink slips. 

It's all about the QB.  When Zach Wilson succeeds...everyone succeeds.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The bald beast is the best young coach in the nfl.  He has been through 2 rebuilds before and he knew exactly how to handle this situation.  

Lots were down on him because he didnt show much passion on the sidelines last year.  Its hard to show passion when you are getting your ass handed to you every week.

Now that we have the talent and will be competitve and start winning games, watch this dude on the sidelines.  Passion will not be questioned anymore.  Hes going to be going bananas on the sideline.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

This has now become the shart or get off the pot season for Saleh and JD.  The safety net has been removed. Built in excuses have been removed. There is no reason why this roster and coaching staff can't have this team "in the hunt" late into the season. There is adequate talent and depth on this team to make teams think twice when they see The New York Jets on their schedule. 

 

Neither are going anywhere even if this year is a flop, and that is the way it should be, they are building, do we really want Woody and Chris to start / pick with a new GM/coach… Zach performance trumps records

performs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He sucked, free agents avoided this team like it was a toxic waste dump

Ouch.  What a sh!tty take, like for real. I have not heard of one guy avoiding the Jets because of Saleh.  In fact, guys who know him and have played on his teams seem to come here.  Look at Laken Tomlinson from the 49ers, look at JR Reed who played for Saleh, etc.  If you're telling me Tyreek Hill or others are steering clear of the Jets I don't think it's because of Saleh unless you can share some other info that maybe I haven't seen.  Free agents with big names used to come here for one reason... big checks.  It's why Mosley is still here and we might STILL be paying Trumaine Johnson.  JD isn't begging guys and throwing money at them.  Saleh has been here for one season and by all accounts he's doing things the right way.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I like the culture he's building.

Defense needs to be a lot better.

Last year the Jets spent their first 4 picks on offense, offense, offense and offense. (100% O)

This year they spent their first 4 picks on defense, offense, defense and offense. (50%)

Next year I believe is when they throw more significant resources at the D.   LB, FS, DT, etc.

JD's goal has been to prioritize offense to support Zach.  It's why last year's Draft looked like it did.  It's why Tomlinson and 2 TEs were given significant deals in FA.  And, it's why the Jets went WR, RB, TE all before the end of Day 2 in this Draft.

Saleh is being asked to "coach up" the D, to make lemonade out of lemons for a bit.  He was asked last year to get by with guys like Echols, Michael Carter, Bryce Hall, Quincy Williams, etc.  The Jets weren't just starting rookies, they were starting 5th round rookies and UDFA's on Defense.  I think we really start to invest in the D in 2023 FA and Draft.  JMHO.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, J_Smith said:

I think just like JD looked lost in his first draft, Saleh looked lost in his first season. Hopefully Bob learns from his mistakes like JD did

Adam Gase hired JD and was making all the decisions in Florham Park.  Heck Adam Gase was the GM for a short time.  Joe D was not given the reign to make any decisions without Adam Gases sign off.  2020 was Adam Gases draft, not Joe Douglas.

After the season, Joe went to Christopher and said, "I cannot do my job with Adam Gase around and we have to move on."  Gase was axed and the rest is history.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Young team, inexperienced…. but moldable, needs clear direction and guidance. Saleh is instilling a new culture.

He is a teacher and that’s what the #JetsYouthMovement is all about. How many guys under 23-24 yrs old will not only be playing but starting for this team?

No clue if he’ll be the right guy long term but he’s the right guy right now IMO.

 

Everything is Kumbaya right now in Jet land after what looks like a great draft. We’re all excited right now about that, butone thing has nothing to do with the other.

Saleh and his staff? Other than LaFleur, they’ve proven nothing.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Green Ghost said:

Everything is Kumbaya right now in Jet land after what looks like a great draft.

one thing has nothing to do with the other though.

Saleh and his staff? Other than LaFleur, they’ve proven nothing.

 

You really struggle seeing the forest through the trees.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You really struggle seeing the forest through the trees.

Nah, I like Saleh. I want him to be our HC for a long time. But…

I’ve been down this road many more times than you have Joe W. and I’ve seen them come and go, from back when Weeb Ewbank was here.

After all those years I don’t buy much into the hype anymore. Especially in regard to an albeit nice man who has only coached one season, and a bad one at that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The bald beast is the best young coach in the nfl.  He has been through 2 rebuilds before and he knew exactly how to handle this situation.  

Lots were down on him because he didnt show much passion on the sidelines last year.  Its hard to show passion when you are getting your ass handed to you every week.

Now that we have the talent and will be competitve and start winning games, watch this dude on the sidelines.  Passion will not be questioned anymore.  Hes going to be going bananas on the sideline.

😂 If going bananas on the sideline mattered, we should hire this guy….


Dance Dancing GIF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He sucked, free agents avoided this team like it was a toxic waste dump, and the best you can say about his handling of young players is that the corners seemed to be in position more often than not last year (but they still spent the four overall on a corner this year?). This is happy horsesh*t by Douglas who is on a serotonin high from getting Jermaine Johnson, but spare me the Saleh fellatio until be wins more than five games with all these now-experienced young talents that he just, coincidentally, had to replace or supplement in this year’s draft. 

This is like when you lose the first fifteen pounds and everyone in your life is

"hey did you lose weight?"

"wow you look great!"

"what's your secret?

And that one friend says

"Yea, well, you're still fat as f***"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This year is a big test for him.  He finally has some real players to coach up.  And I want him to make JJ his special project.  Get the most out of him.

For me, he passed a really big test last year.  Easy to look good when you have a loaded roster and a team with a winning tradition.  Very hard for a competitive person to keep cool and stay on course when you take over a team with one of the worst rosters in the league, a rookie QB and a rookie coaching staff.  Saleh kept his poise during the hard time.  Some good sings for him: No back biting or explosions in the locker room, no silly clock management issues, no procedural penalties at the beginning of a half, quarter, drive, and no sign of guys not knowing where they should be.  Those are signs of good coaching.   As poor as the roster was, they didn't fall apart.  That was an important test.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

For me, he passed a really big test last year.  Easy to look good when you have a loaded roster and a team with a winning tradition.  Very hard for a competitive person to keep cool and stay on course when you take over a team with one of the worst rosters in the league, a rookie QB and a rookie coaching staff.  Saleh kept his poise during the hard time.  Some good sings for him: No back biting or explosions in the locker room, no silly clock management issues, no procedural penalties at the beginning of a half, quarter, drive, etc and no sign of guys not knowing where they should be.  As poor as the roster was, they did fall apart.  That was an important test. 

Amazing post.  Spot on.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

I think what we all really like is his demeanor.  He's fiery but not as balls-out crazy as Rex.  He can also come across as thoughtful but not stone-faced like Bowles.  And he commands respect which puts him way ahead of Gase. 

I can't grade his coaching yet because the roster was so bad last year it was almost criminal.  I recall some things I didn't love, but I don't recall him mangling clock management like most of his predecessors here.  This year will tell us a lot more.

Agree fully.  Nice post. I LOVED Rex and had a lot of fun 2009-2010 with his wild style before the media.  However, there was down-side to the bluster.  Rex would talk a lot and he had all the opposing teams really wanting to knock the Jet's shi't loose when they played them.  I can't see a single advantage to that other than fostering the "us against the world" mentality. That can be a motive, however, it is still making it hard on your players.  If you are playing at a competitive game it is always best to underwhelm the competition.  Don't piss them off. Put them to sleep. Saleh has fire but he's not a fool in that regard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He sucked, free agents avoided this team like it was a toxic waste dump, and the best you can say about his handling of young players is that the corners seemed to be in position more often than not last year (but they still spent the four overall on a corner this year?). This is happy horsesh*t by Douglas who is on a serotonin high from getting Jermaine Johnson, but spare me the Saleh fellatio until be wins more than five games with all these now-experienced young talents that he just, coincidentally, had to replace or supplement in this year’s draft. 

Supplement = Depth 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As soon as they establish a consistent running game (which I expect they will) Saleh will start looking like a genius. Remember how the running game inflated Rex’s D stats? I expect the same to happen here and I am looking forward to seeing it. We still need some depth on the Oline, though, because it seems like someone always gets hurt.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/30/2022 at 7:12 PM, THE BARON said:

Agree fully.  Nice post. I LOVED Rex and had a lot of fun 2009-2010 with his wild style before the media.  However, there was down-side to the bluster.  Rex would talk a lot and he had all the opposing teams really wanting to knock the Jet's shi't loose when they played them.  I can't see a single advantage to that other than fostering the "us against the world" mentality. That can be a motive, however, it is still making it hard on your players.  If you are playing at a competitive game it is always best to underwhelm the competition.  Don't piss them off. Put them to sleep. Saleh has fire but he's not a fool in that regard.

Rex was our last good head coach.  I really don't know how it can otherwise be argued

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

As soon as they establish a consistent running game (which I expect they will) Saleh will start looking like a genius. Remember how the running game inflated Rex’s D stats? I expect the same to happen here and I am looking forward to seeing it. We still need some depth on the Oline, though, because it seems like someone always gets hurt.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Saleh's defense last season was shockingly bad.  Hopefully adding Sauce and Jermaine Johnson helps.  I had never seen a Jet defense so easily scored on week in and week out even during the 1996 season or during the 2020 2-14 season our defense was still better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...