Are the Jets still the worst team in AFC East?

Miami is bring back their defense which was good. They have a lot more speed on offense. They're switching to the same blocking scheme the Jets did last year which took awhile to learn so I expect some downgrades, but while Tua is limited, he can get the ball out quick on the short game and Hill caught most of his catches short and then got a lot of YAC. Tough for the Jets defense, tougher for NEs which is still pretty slow. Their defense is mostly returning, same scheme, same coaches. 

Buffalo has more playmakers on their offense than they did last year or in 2020. They have a lot more speed as well. Their defense is obviously what everyone is looking at.. they added total sacks and more responsible run defenders. They got more speed at the 2nd and 3rd levels. I suspect that they won't be the "#1 defense" again, but that their defense will be more stout when it matters. If their new O coordinator keeps them humming then every team in the division is probably playing catch up. Miami's defense is mostly the same and got torched twice. We saw what they did the NE and Jets. 

I think NE is setup to struggle hard. They did not get weapons for McCorkle. Every other team in the division improved over last year especially in areas of weakness. They had a run first offense that was predicated on having a lead. They're not going to enjoy that luxury this season. A "run first, ball control" from the 90s/early 00s doesn't work anymore. Teams can score too quickly and it's too tough on defenses to hold up. That defense is still slow and lacks guys who can get consistent pressure. I think they manage to 'game manage' themselves to wins against some of the bad teams they'll play. Those teams won't include the Jets anymore though. Miami's newfound speed should kill them. I think the Jets defense can manage to bottle them up enough to force McCorkle to throw and that has shown itself to now end well. They're riding more on their QB taking a huge leap than the Jets or Dolphins are this year. 

In short, I think most people agree on the order of the division:

1. Bills (13-4)

2. Dolphins (10-7)

3. Jets (7-10)

4. Patriots (6-11)

I agree with others in that until we prove otherwise, yea we are. The good news it’s a week to week league as far as perceptions so we can turn the cards around pretty quickly.  I recall the bengals coming into met life abs October and they were already viewed as some great team.  Preseason they were picked last in the north and were in a similar boat to where we are.  They ended up going 7-1 in the division.

I’m not saying we need that kind of season but we cannot continue to get swept by NE or Miami.  That is just unacceptable.  We should be able to go 3-3 in the division. 

19 minutes ago, Facts said:

What has Tua ever done to prove he is better than Wilson?

I'm not remotely sold on Wilson but i've seen enough of Tua to know he ain't it either.

Tua is better by almost every metric, including his rookie year.

Wilson has a stronger arm and is more mobile, but Tua is basically better at everything else

• Upvote 1

Has to be the Jets since we finished in last place the previous year and the 2022 season hasn’t started yet. That said after this season is over with the additions that have been made during the  off-season I am truly optimistic that we can get to 10 wins if the defense plays to league average especially against the run

Jets can win with Zach playing like Jimmy G with the new additions on offense 

39 minutes ago, Buffalo 24 7 said:

Wilson has a stronger arm and is more mobile, but Tua is basically better at everything else

So if you had a straight up choice between the two you'd take Tua? I would go Wilson every time. That TD pass against the Bills in the second game was a laser not many QBs in the league can make, and he made a lot of good passes after he came back from injury.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, defensedoesntgetyoulaid said:

So if you had a straight up choice between the two you'd take Tua? I would go Wilson every time. That TD pass against the Bills in the second game was a laser not many QBs in the league can make, and he made a lot of good passes after he came back from injury.

Tua can be good, but I doubt he can be great. With Wilson, I doubt if he even can be good, let alone great. I still don't understand why he kept scrambling back 20-30 yards in the Bills game. I just never felt watching Wilson that he had "It".

That TD pass vs the Bills was successful, but it was bad process all around. It was a bad read, into a tight window, on a WR that was double covered. The WR got hit by the robber safety simultaneous to the catch. That play more often than not gets the WR blown up. The right pass would have been a pass to the over route.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

On 4/30/2022 at 5:12 PM, Jets4Life1979 said:

I've been reading comments from other fans on twitter saying how great the Jets did in the draft however, they're still gonna finish last in the division.  In my opinion, on paper the Jets roster is just as good as Miami and New England.  What do you think?

NOPE. The NE Faketriots are.

1 hour ago, Buffalo 24 7 said:

I'll admit that Tua is probably better than I give him credit for but I'm still skeptical that he's got the upside to be a key player in a SB winner.  I'd take Zach over him on potential alone.  Heck, it took Josh Allen 3 years to really hit his stride.  I'm still hoping Zach can follow a roughly similar path.

On 4/30/2022 at 5:12 PM, Jets4Life1979 said:

I've been reading comments from other fans on twitter saying how great the Jets did in the draft however, they're still gonna finish last in the division.  In my opinion, on paper the Jets roster is just as good as Miami and New England.  What do you think?

dude.  We finished dead last in the division. That win-loss record holds until week 1.   As of right now we are literally the worst team in the division.  Ask again after the first week of the season. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/30/2022 at 4:14 PM, jetsons said:

Are the Jets still the worst team in AFC East?

Yes... Until they play a game & PROVE Otherwise... "Paper" doesn't take precedence over "Play"

Don’t tell me paper don’t matter. This is the best team on paper in 12 years.  ?

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

dude.  We finished dead last in the division. That win-loss record holds until week 1.   As of right now we are literally the worst team in the division.  Ask again after the first week of the season. 

Dude. Last year was a disaster. New CS. New rookie QB. No Becton. Terrible OL overall. Growing pains for the rookies. Terrible secondary. Injury after injury. Mind boggling they won 4 games at all. This off-season has been amazing. They are primed to make some serious noise. 3/4 of the defense had been replaced. Zach played light years better in 2nd half. LaFleur found his footing calling plays. We have revamped the secondary, and with the new draft picks, the offense will be sizzling. It’s just to many positives to go into casually. We are gonna rock. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Maynard13 said:

Dude. Last year was a disaster. New CS. New rookie QB. No Becton. Terrible OL overall. Growing pains for the rookies. Terrible secondary. Injury after injury. Mind boggling they won 4 games at all. This off-season has been amazing. They are primed to make some serious noise. 3/4 of the defense had been replaced. Zach played light years better in 2nd half. LaFleur found his footing calling plays. We have revamped the secondary, and with the new draft picks, the offense will be sizzling. It’s just to many positives to go into casually. We are gonna rock. 

The NY Jets will no longer be the worst team in the division when they have more wins than their divisional rivals.  And also when they are able to actually defeat their divisional rivals on a regular basis.  Once they do that, then yes, they will no longer be the worst team in the AFCE. Hopefully sooner than later. Until then, the answer to the thread title remains unchanged.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Don’t tell me paper don’t matter. This is the best team on paper in 12 years.  ?

True.. BUT weren't the Browns Super Bowl bound a few years ago when they accumulated a handful of stars?.. How did that turnout? 

PAPER = ZERO... ...PLAY = EVERYTHING.

On 5/3/2022 at 4:08 PM, jeremy2020 said:

In short, I think most people agree on the order of the division:

1. Bills (13-4)

2. Dolphins (10-7)

3. Jets (7-10)

4. Patriots (6-11)

The Bills are at the top.  I could see any other permutation happen for the other 3 spots though.  

• Upvote 1

On 5/3/2022 at 9:18 AM, Irish Jet said:

The Dolphins? Come on. Their guys are proven. Hill is a level above any of ours. Gesicki is better than all our tight ends. Offensive line is another story.

Okay. Let's lay off how good the Dolphins' roster is. Their offensive is garbage. Flores was so fed up with how Tau couldn't move the ball he fired multiple OCs. Hill's production will be nowhere near it was while in KC. What good does it to have a 7.62 round(Hill) if the only gun(Tua) you have uses .22 rounds? Their defense was good only because Flores pulled a herd of rabbits out of his butt. In case you Dolphins jock riders haven't noticed, he's gone and they have an offensive rookie HC whom nobody never knew about until he got hired by the Dolphins.

So please, explain to me why do you think that the Jets won't leap frog them?  If you don't have faith that they will then why are you on here? Do you hope for the Jets to suck another season just to keep your misery going?

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

37 minutes ago, STLuLu said:

Okay. Let's lay off how good the Dolphins' roster is. Their offensive is garbage. Flores was so fed up with how Tau couldn't move the ball he fired multiple OCs. Hill's production will be nowhere near it was while in KC. What good does it to have a 7.62 round(Hill) if the only gun(Tua) you have uses .22 rounds? Their defense was good only because Flores pulled a herd of rabbits out of his butt. In case you Dolphins jock riders haven't noticed, he's gone and they have an offensive rookie HC whom nobody never knew about until he got hired by the Dolphins.

So please, explain to me why do you think that the Jets won't leap frog them?  If you don't have faith that they will then why are you on here? Do you hope for the Jets to suck another season just to keep your misery going?

Calm Down Chill Out GIF by StickerGiant

7 hours ago, STLuLu said:

What the f*ck are you talking about?

I never said they were anything special  but their weapons are more proven right now than the Jets. Which Hill, Waddle, Gesicki etc demonstrably are. I never mentioned Tua and specifically pointed out that their OL is trash. Can you not read?

If you want to argue our weapons are better when two of those starters haven’t played an NFL down that’s fine. Go make a fool of yourself. There’s not a non-Jets fan in the world that would agree with such nonsense. 

• Upvote 3

On 5/3/2022 at 4:55 PM, defensedoesntgetyoulaid said:

Yeah, I was extremely disappointed in Wilson's rookie year but it would be really hard to take Tua or even Mac over Zach. At least with Zach you have upside to hope for -- he has high end arm talent.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The Bills are at the top.  I could see any other permutation happen for the other 3 spots though.  

I think the Dolphins are clearly a step ahead of the other two teams despite having a new coach. They kept their defensive coaching staff intact and the rumors are that Flores stopped calling the defense the 2nd half when they were a top ten unit in the league. The dysfunction that went with Flores was.. immense. They have a superior roster. They have 3 top end receiving threats. 

The expectation based on roster, coaching, QB, etc is they should finish above the Jets. 

So yes... "anything can happen", but it seems unlikely to me. Much like the Patriots finishing above the Jets seems unlikely. 

On 4/30/2022 at 5:18 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think the term "take flight" is appropriate.  This team is finally starting to do so.  There's a chance we'll finish in last place but we won't be pushovers anymore.  There's also a chance we can finish in 2nd place, btw (I'm assuming Buffalo is the easy division winner).  

You are probably right, however,  Buffalo did lose Daboll. It may mean very little or a lot. I would not say "easy division winner", I mean it is likely but not a given.

36 minutes ago, bitonti said:

not only are the Jets the worst team in the AFC east

according to Vegas odds they are also the 2nd worst team in the AFC period (Houston)

I agree that a team has to 'show it' first to get respect in divisional rankings. And I get that Zach Wilson has yet to do anything.

But I'd argue that our ceiling this year, as a team, is higher than the Dolphins and Patriots. I get the Dolphins have a good defense + Hill & Waddle, but their offensive line and quarterback have little upside. 

Since we're such a young team, I think we've got the highest range of outcomes out of anyone in the AFCE. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

their quarterback have little upside. 

tua is 24 (still much upside) and already way better than Zach (via Profootballreference.com)

if Zach had Tua's year last year we'd all be freaking out about how great he is 

and by the way they have Teddy B who could perform better than Tua given the chance (Kirk Cousins style 16th overall QB) 

pff_tua.PNG

5 of the last 6 seasons, we have been the last place team in the AFCE.  Until we start winning games, yes, we are the worst team in the AFC East.  Maybe we can finally climb out of the cellar this year and compete for a change, but until we do, the recent record speaks for itself.

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

5 of the last 6 seasons, we have been the last place team in the AFCE.  Until we start winning games, yes, we are the worst team in the AFC East.  Maybe we can finally climb out of the cellar this year and compete for a change, but until we do, the recent record speaks for itself.

I think they’re somewhat well positioned to do some things offensively because the rushing attack should be absolutely elite, which is a pretty effective equalizer against even the best offenses. My concern is that, on the flip side, I think we’re probably going to be worse at stopping the run because we lost Fatukasi, didn’t replace him, and we’re going to try and shoehorn Sherwood and Nasirildeen into roles as OLBs again, which is not conducive to stopping the run. 

• Sympathy 1