Jump to content

Are the Jets still the worst team in AFC East?


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think they’re somewhat well positioned to do some things offensively because the rushing attack should be absolutely elite, which is a pretty effective equalizer against even the best offenses. My concern is that, on the flip side, I think we’re probably going to be worse at stopping the run because we lost Fatukasi, didn’t replace him, and we’re going to try and shoehorn Sherwood and Nasirildeen into roles as OLBs again, which is not conducive to stopping the run. 

Best hope for the run defense is if a guy ike Jonathan Marshall is able to step up in year 2.  Similarly, have to hope Hamsah and Sherwood are better this year, 2nd season playing the position.  I was really hoping we woud add an LB or DT in the draft, but it seems like the Coaching Staff may be higher on some of the young guys on the roster than you and I are.  Time will tell, I guess.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Lith said:

Best hope for the run defense is if a guy ike Jonathan Marshall is able to step up in year 2.  Similarly, have to hope Hamsah and Sherwood are better this year, 2nd season playing the position.  I was really hoping we woud add an LB or DT in the draft, but it seems like the Coaching Staff may be higher on some of the young guys on the roster than you and I are.  Time will tell, I guess.

Jake Asman said as much (that the Jets' CS is higher on Nasrildeen and Sherwood than a lot of fans might realize)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Lith said:

Best hope for the run defense is if a guy ike Jonathan Marshall is able to step up in year 2.  Similarly, have to hope Hamsah and Sherwood are better this year, 2nd season playing the position.  I was really hoping we woud add an LB or DT in the draft, but it seems like the Coaching Staff may be higher on some of the young guys on the roster than you and I are.  Time will tell, I guess.

I don't really understand how our defensive scheme works but it seems like they're expecting someone other than the d-line to be responsible for stopping the run in a lot of situations because of the giant natural gaps they create by the way they line up. My assumption was that they were putting it on the LB'rs, but by ignoring that position so far in the offseason I'm just here scratching my head.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't really understand how our defensive scheme works but it seems like they're expecting someone other than the d-line to be responsible for stopping the run in a lot of situations because of the giant natural gaps they create by the way they line up. My assumption was that they were putting it on the LB'rs, but by ignoring that position so far in the offseason I'm just here scratching my head.

I understand giving young guys a chance to step up and prove they can pay at this level, but it would be nice if we had 1or 2 journeymen vet back-ups.  Still 4 months until the season starts, so maybe some moves will be made between now and then.  It sure does seem like they are putting a lot of faith in guys who have not done it yet at this level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Jake Asman said as much (that the Jets' CS is higher on Nasrildeen and Sherwood than a lot of fans might realize)

Sure looks that way.  You want to know what a coach / GM is thinking, don't listen to what they say.  It always becomes apparent eventually in what they do.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

tua is 24 (still much upside) and already way better than Zach (via Profootballreference.com)

if Zach had Tua's year last year we'd all be freaking out about how great he is 

and by the way they have Teddy B who could perform better than Tua given the chance (Kirk Cousins style 16th overall QB) 

 

pff_tua.PNG

If Zach does what Tua did last year that would be disappointing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

tua is 24 (still much upside) and already way better than Zach (via Profootballreference.com)

if Zach had Tua's year last year we'd all be freaking out about how great he is 

and by the way they have Teddy B who could perform better than Tua given the chance (Kirk Cousins style 16th overall QB) 

 

pff_tua.PNG

I wouldn't say anyone would be jumping for joy with those two seasons. Tua has shown himself to be a lesser Chad Pennington/Kirk Cousins. He has a high completion percentage and few turnovers, but he was outplayed by Ryan Fitzpatrick for a reason. 

It's cliche at this point, but everything depends on that year-two-jump from Zach Wilson.

Douglas has done his job in giving Wilson a chance to succeed and while I'm not expecting a Super Bowl, I am expecting to see a franchise quarterback this year and an above .500 record. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

What the f*ck are you talking about?

I never said they were anything special  but their weapons are more proven right now than the Jets. Which Hill, Waddle, Gesicki etc demonstrably are. I never mentioned Tua and specifically pointed out that their OL is trash. Can you not read?

If you want to argue our weapons are better when two of those starters haven’t played an NFL down that’s fine. Go make a fool of yourself. There’s not a non-Jets fan in the world that would agree with such nonsense. 

You certainly sound like a non-Jets' fan. I'm sure they would love to have you in MIA as their mascot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I wouldn't say anyone would be jumping for joy with those two seasons. Tua has shown himself to be a lesser Chad Pennington/Kirk Cousins. He has a high completion percentage and few turnovers, but he was outplayed by Ryan Fitzpatrick for a reason. 

It's cliche at this point, but everything depends on that year-two-jump from Zach Wilson.

Douglas has done his job in giving Wilson a chance to succeed and while I'm not expecting a Super Bowl, I am expecting to see a franchise quarterback this year and an above .500 record. 

Just to review you're expecting the number 33 qb to become a top 10 QB this year 

Based on nothing but hope 

What could go wrong? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, adb280z said:

If Zach does what Tua did last year that would be disappointing.  

It would also be a huge improvement 

Zach completes 55 percent of passes and is upside down on the td/int ratio 

His week 18 performance was the lowest offensive output in franchise history 

Tua completed 67 percent of passes and won like 6 games in a row at the end of the year 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Just to review you're expecting the number 33 qb to become a top 10 QB this year 

Based on nothing but hope 

What could go wrong? 

6b8c32a5f1d7d1d1b4f89d6cf090a946.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Just to review you're expecting the number 33 qb to become a top 10 QB this year 

Based on nothing but hope 

What could go wrong? 

The offensive talent of the Jets is definitely good enough for the Zach year-two-leap. Like I said before, we have the widest range of outcomes.

If Wilson sucks, we're a four win team. If he plays the entire season like that Bucs game... should we be so afraid of the Brady-less Patriots or the Tua led Dolphins and their 32nd ranked offensive line?

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-offensive-line-rankings

It's hope on the quarterback, sure.

But objectively, we're also a significantly better football team this year than last. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

there's not much to say.  the jets jave improved talent wise over the past two or three seasons but they still need to play the games.  they're still lacking in on field leadership.  maybe wilson can take the mantel. maybe it'll be another guy but someone needs to fire up the team.  all scheming aside, they need a refuse to lose attitude.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't really understand how our defensive scheme works but it seems like they're expecting someone other than the d-line to be responsible for stopping the run in a lot of situations because of the giant natural gaps they create by the way they line up. My assumption was that they were putting it on the LB'rs, but by ignoring that position so far in the offseason I'm just here scratching my head.

I understand the concern around the rush defense, but I’m somewhat optimistic that it won’t be a huge issue. Buffalo and Miami don’t have huge rushing attacks (although NE will be a headache). In reality, the Jets will generally have two LBs or less on the field the majority of the time, so concerns about that position are somewhat nullified by how they use it. I think the overall improvement of the defense helps the rushing defense. Lawson, JFM, and Johnson can all set the edge. The CB position is completely overhauled and has gone from one of the worst units in the league to maybe one of the best, and that will allow Saleh to employ his SS closer to the LoS to help in run support, something they weren’t able to do a lot of last year. And as mentioned a few times in here, I think they like their second year guys a lot more than the fans do. Fans were talking about the worst defense in history, and Ulbrich was talking about how he can see his players developing. I think they’re gonna be better than a lot of folks expect. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, bitonti said:

It would also be a huge improvement 

Zach completes 55 percent of passes and is upside down on the td/int ratio 

His week 18 performance was the lowest offensive output in franchise history 

Tua completed 67 percent of passes and won like 6 games in a row at the end of the year 

 

The Jets had me running pass patterns week 18. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...