We finally have an NFL caliber roster

This has the potential to be a top 5 rushing attack. What better way to support a young quarterback than with a mauling, zone blocking OL and two excellent complementary backs. If Zach plays at a 2010 Mark Sanchez level, this team should be in the playoff hunt in December. I trust the defense will be much better with huge upgrades at DL and DB. 

• Upvote 4

Seeing how things played out, the only thing I would have liked to have seen was the jets landing a bonafide stud at WR. Kind of like what the cardinals did with hopkins, the bills did with diggs, what the dolphins and eagles just did with AJ brown and Tyreek. Sounds like we tried but just couldn’t get anything to work. G Wilson could be good but no matter how you spin it, the NFL draft is a crap shoot. Having an elite WR would have been nice. With that being said, beggars can’t be choosers. I am very excited and optimistic about the future of this team with how the off season and draft played out. I think JD opened a ton of eyes this weekend. This team may actually be going places in the near future. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Lith said:

What I like about this offseason is that we are building a roster for a young QB to succeed with.  I expect an offense that is built around the running game.  We have a strong OL, 3 TEs, and with the addition of Hall, we should have a solid stable of backs with a potential feature back.  With Wilson, we now have several WRs who know how to run routes and get separation -- which shoudl make Zach's job easier.  Zach wlil need to make plays, but he will just have to manage the offense, not carry it. 

We are not ready to win shootouts with Zach (hopefully that comes in another year or two).  Last season, we were 3-2 when holding opponents to 24 or less.  1-11 giving up 25+.  Defense appears to be much improved.  Ball control offense.  We should be able to win enough games this season to keep us interested into December.  Anything less, imo, will be failure.

I get it but even Sanchez played very well during playoffs and generally when it mattered most his first 2 years.  Wilson was the 2nd overall pick and we have spent A LOT of resources on offense.  I'm fine with relying on the running game, but if Zach takes sacks and throws into double coverage when we need him most this year, it will definitely be telling.

6 hours ago, slats said:

Love the whole post, but let’s not put it all on Zach. I want to see the coaching staff take at least as big a jump. Honestly, I think it’s more important. 

This is true.  

I'm excited for Zach Wilson.  The offense is loaded...and built for his skill set.  IMO he will flourish in it.  Be that 20++ TDs and 8-10 INTs QB with this bunch.  

But a huge part of this teams success is going to be in the hands of this CS.  Coaching and preparing these players...and getting the most out of their talents.  And game planning specific to each upcoming opponent is very critical for success too.  

Playoff potential is there...so...don't be outcoached!

No excuses for the CS this season.   

For 2022, this is my current position group grading. Maybe I'm a little optimistic, lol. Next, year with this youth it's exciting to think what they can grow into. I do think there will be growing pains this year as we're still going to be among the youngest teams.

QB: TBD

RB: B+, A POTENTIAL

TE: C+, B POTENTIAL

OL: B+, A POTENTIAL

WR: B, B+ POTENTIAL

DL: B, B+ POTENTIAL 

LB: C-, C POTENTIAL 

CB: B, B+ POTENTIAL 

S: C, C+ POTENTIAL 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, extmenace said:

Seeing how things played out, the only thing I would have liked to have seen was the jets landing a bonafide stud at WR. Kind of like what the cardinals did with hopkins, the bills did with diggs, what the dolphins and eagles just did with AJ brown and Tyreek. Sounds like we tried but just couldn’t get anything to work. G Wilson could be good but no matter how you spin it, the NFL draft is a crap shoot. Having an elite WR would have been nice. With that being said, beggars can’t be choosers. I am very excited and optimistic about the future of this team with how the off season and draft played out. I think JD opened a ton of eyes this weekend. This team may actually be going places in the near future. 

We can’t forget that these top star WRs do not definitely mean they will be too WRs on the teams they were trades to. They did well on previous teams with the players and coaches they had, doesn’t mean that will continue on the new team. Sure, the draft is more of a crap shoot than that, but it is a much bigger impact yo your teams future if a WR doesn’t work out at 6-7 million a year than at 30+ million a year.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

This is true.  

I'm excited for Zach Wilson.  The offense is loaded...and built for his skill set.  IMO he will flourish in it.  Be that 20++ TDs and 8-10 INTs QB with this bunch.  

But a huge part of this teams success is going to be in the hands of this CS.  Coaching and preparing these players...and getting the most out of their talents.  And game planning specific to each upcoming opponent is very critical for success too.  

Playoff potential is there...so...don't be outcoached!

No excuses for the CS this season.   

Agreed. Coaching staff needs to take a leap the same way ZW does. I do have hope, because we’ve watched JD get better on the job over the last 3 years. Completely lost in first draft. Calculated and had a clear gameplan in 2nd draft. In draft 3 he maneuvered like a top 5 gm to get instant impact players

11 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

For real - up and down the roster, and including at depth - we've got a real, solid team, one that's capable of competing for the playoffs (and doing damage in the playoffs) if the QB plays well.

Our OL is a top-10 OL, with our biggest question mark being our 1st round mauler of a RT with a chip on his shoulder

Our WR group is 4-deep with legitimate starting caliber WRs, though we don't have the upper echelon No. 1 that would really unlock it. Either way, it's fast and versatile.

Our TE room has to be among the best in the league - and all three guys are very good at both receiving and blocking.

We've got two legit studs as our 1-2 punch at RB in Hall and Carter

The DL is deep - maybe a bit light in the interior without Foley, but if Lawson comes back healthy it's going to be a terror at rushing the passer. NASCAR package of Lawson-Q-JFM-Johnson will be a thing to behold.

I don't love our LBs but the coaching staff does, and Mosely is still a top end player (though a wildly overpaid one). This is the one area of the team where the depth is a real question mark

DBs are deep and talented. Sauce-Reed-Hall-MC2 is as good a top 4 as you can ask for, Echols has a lot of experience and talent for a 5th CB. S lacks top-end talent but Whitehead-Joyner is very solid, Davis still has potential, and Reilly and Pinnock both played well towards the end of the year last year.

There's no reason this roster can't compete with anyone in the NFL if we get good QB play. None.

That’s true, now we wait and hope they play like one. Nice write up Teh Doggin! 

• Sympathy 1

It could be.

There are still question marks. Obviously we have to see the rookies play, they’re very promising but there have been countless slam dunk prospects who’ve struggled in the NFL. Hall will be fine but next year will probably have growing pains for the others.

We need Lawson and Becton healthy and at their best. If we have that then everything looks stronger.

There are still some obvious weaknesses, the interior of the front seven both on the line and the LB’ers was a part of why our run defence was so bad. It’s lost more than it’s gained. I’m still not sure how that problem is solved yet, hopefully another year in the scheme helps guys like Q. 

The offence does look pretty complete away from the QB. We’ve done everything for Wilson that we didn’t do for Darnold. It’s on him to improve that offence and it’s on Saleh to get the defence going. All I ask for next season is that we’re competitive. If the seasons over by mid-october again then heads will have to roll.

When you compare offensive positions to their opponents one by one, it’s not lobsided anymore.  Wr/te/rb, the jets have as many weapons and as much speed as other teams if not more.  The OL will be fine with becton and if he bails again, that position will be addressed next offseason.  The big q is qb now.

This team is almost completely remade from just 2019. there is only 1 remaining starter (quinnen williams) and very few remaining players after that (berrios, mcdermott, and wesco are the only ones i can think of off the top of my head). this has been a complete and total rebuild following the 2019 season. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Found this on the Jets twitter feed.  It's pretty telling.  The plan last year all along was about building from scratch.  They told the coaches we are going to give you a bunch of rookies and do your best with them.  This has always been a 3 year process starting with the Saleh hire in January 2021.

Fans can bitch and moan about the Jets being in a rebuild process for the last 10 years, but for this group in the FO and coaching staff, the clock didn't start until last year.

The coaches also gained experience in their new roles. Is it August yet?

• Upvote 2

I don’t think they’re done yet. I expect to see pro players added to the safety, linebacker and wide receiver positions. Whether the players have worked out or not, the last 3 drafts have shown this front office is for real. Their process is for real. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, slats said:

Love the whole post, but let’s not put it all on Zach. I want to see the coaching staff take at least as big a jump. Honestly, I think it’s more important. 

Agreed. But I honestly don't know how the Jets' offense functioned at all last year with one decent RB, a mediocre WR unit that was banged up, literally zero quality TE's and a rookie QB trying to get up to NFL speed. This year's offense is world's better than last year's. Coaches can at least be creative when they have talent. Without it, they're hamstrung.

Jets had a very good draft.  Tbh I'd be shocked if this ended up being the typical Jets draft of the past 15 years with most if not all the players not even being in the league inside of 3 seasons.  That said this roster still has big holes plus the starting QB has shown little to nothing despite people like Chris Simms desperately trying to act like they were right on him already.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

For real - up and down the roster, and including at depth - we've got a real, solid team, one that's capable of competing for the playoffs (and doing damage in the playoffs) if the QB plays well.

Our OL is a top-10 OL, with our biggest question mark being our 1st round mauler of a RT with a chip on his shoulder

Our WR group is 4-deep with legitimate starting caliber WRs, though we don't have the upper echelon No. 1 that would really unlock it. Either way, it's fast and versatile.

Our TE room has to be among the best in the league - and all three guys are very good at both receiving and blocking.

We've got two legit studs as our 1-2 punch at RB in Hall and Carter

The DL is deep - maybe a bit light in the interior without Foley, but if Lawson comes back healthy it's going to be a terror at rushing the passer. NASCAR package of Lawson-Q-JFM-Johnson will be a thing to behold.

I don't love our LBs but the coaching staff does, and Mosely is still a top end player (though a wildly overpaid one). This is the one area of the team where the depth is a real question mark

DBs are deep and talented. Sauce-Reed-Hall-MC2 is as good a top 4 as you can ask for, Echols has a lot of experience and talent for a 5th CB. S lacks top-end talent but Whitehead-Joyner is very solid, Davis still has potential, and Reilly and Pinnock both played well towards the end of the year last year.

There's no reason this roster can't compete with anyone in the NFL if we get good QB play. None.

We will address that in next years draft.

Loved this draft!!!!

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

Found this on the Jets twitter feed.  It's pretty telling.  The plan last year all along was about building from scratch.  They told the coaches we are going to give you a bunch of rookies and do your best with them.  This has always been a 3 year process starting with the Saleh hire in January 2021.

Fans can bitch and moan about the Jets being in a rebuild process for the last 10 years, but for this group in the FO and coaching staff, the clock didn't start until last year.

Happy Clap GIF