Sports Illustrated gave the Jets an “A”. Here’s their analysis…

57 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets have been in a vicious cycle of late. The end of the Mike Tannenbaum era carried a chips-all-in mentality balanced by the John Idzik era of savings and pragmatism (though most of the draft picks they acquired failed to produce). This was followed by a disastrous Mike Maccagnan regime that buried the franchise … until now? As we mentioned in our draft night recap, I’m not sure people understand how difficult a job Joe Douglas had and how far the roster has come. With this class, the team should be able to start seeing some results. Ruckert was an interesting pickup. On film at Ohio State, he carried some of the exact same responsibilities as Kyle Jusczcyk and George Kittle do in the 49ers’ offense, down to some of the minute, arc-motion-style blocking. This should be a real plug-and-play scenario for the Jets, who needed more players intimately familiar with the way offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur wants to run his offense. Hall is exactly what Zach Wilson and the offense needs: a running back who can turn a play dead in the backfield into something. At Iowa State, he rescued the Cyclones from time to time when their offensive line was plowed over.

Love the sound of that! 

Yes...a very difficult job indeed.
It's not only about adding talent to the team.  But also finding ways to rid the Jets of a SOJ loser culture-mentality.  That has not only permeated and branded the team.  But also deeply scarred the fanbase too.  As in SOJF.  And the media has feasted on this.  Lead by the local rag-writers.
I actually thought Jets rid themselves of this stigma when they went to two consecutive AFCCGs.   But then things went downhill fast after that...sinking into the SOJ-SOJF muck again.
And the Jets have been dead and buried for the last 12 years without a playoff appearance.  
So it hasn't been easy for JD to dig this team out of the coffin and graveyard it's wallowed in.  And then to build the foundation for this team.  To enable Jets to become a multiple playoff juggernaut.  
To get there...JD had to find his guy for HC NYJ.  Forget about Gase...it was never his choice.  That relationship was the brakes in preventing forward progress.  JD had to find someone who has a similar vision.  Someone who believes you build that team foundation from both sides of the LOS up.  And that you always pay special attention and monitor the situation when it comes to LOS play. 
Saleh became that guy.  Their first draft collaboration was pretty good.  One of the best in quite a while.  The team was very young and inexperienced.  And the HC-CS was comprised with many rookies at their respective coaching positions too.  Combine this with another season of injuries taking a heavy toll on the roster.  Forcing JD to make desperate trades and raid other team's practice squads...to field starters for games. And of course...the rookie QB struggling too. The result was a roller coaster season that ended up with just 4 wins. 
After that...many frustrated fans turned the hourglass over on the JD-Saleh Era...putting them on the hot seat.  
Then forward to this offseason.  It was a pretty good FA group of signings...all at reasonable prices.  Then came the draft.  And IMO...and many others here...JD hit it out of the park.  Four consecutive 1st round talents that can make an impact on the team.  Some major...some less.  Three of those picks were a consensus best at their position.  And the fourth pretty much the #4 best at Edge.  A fifth pick...a 2-way TE...that many feel could be best or top 5 at the position.   Thus...an A+ draft.
This team can now cover receivers rush the passer this year.  This team can rock 'n roll on offense and score significantly more points this year.  
I believe this is the best GM-HC collaboration Jets have had since the early Tangini days.  And this is so important.  Having that kind of partnership in order to have success in this league.
I'm looking forward to an exciting fun season.  Hoping for the best...like in playoffs...just like many here wish too.  One thing is for sure.  Football isn't fare...and results can be cruel.  Nothing is ever guaranteed...especially success.  I think that's why I love this game so much. 
Looking forward in seeing what happens.
Tangini was all Mangini.... this group is better ... MUCH better.
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:
8 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:
It's not only about adding talent to the team.  But also finding ways to rid the Jets of a SOJ loser culture-mentality.  That has not only permeated and branded the team.  But also deeply scarred the fanbase too.  As in SOJF.  And the media has feasted on this.  Lead by the local rag-writers.
I actually thought Jets rid themselves of this stigma when they went to two consecutive AFCCGs.   But then things went downhill fast after that...sinking into the SOJ-SOJF muck again.
And the Jets have been dead and buried for the last 12 years without a playoff appearance.  
So it hasn't been easy for JD to dig this team out of the coffin and graveyard it's wallowed in.  And then to build the foundation for this team.  To enable Jets to become a multiple playoff juggernaut.  
To get there...JD had to find his guy for HC NYJ.  Forget about Gase...it was never his choice.  That relationship was the brakes in preventing forward progress.  JD had to find someone who has a similar vision.  Someone who believes you build that team foundation from both sides of the LOS up.  And that you always pay special attention and monitor the situation when it comes to LOS play. 
Saleh became that guy.  Their first draft collaboration was pretty good.  One of the best in quite a while.  The team was very young and inexperienced.  And the HC-CS was comprised with many rookies at their respective coaching positions too.  Combine this with another season of injuries taking a heavy toll on the roster.  Forcing JD to make desperate trades and raid other team's practice squads...to field starters for games. And of course...the rookie QB struggling too. The result was a roller coaster season that ended up with just 4 wins. 
After that...many frustrated fans turned the hourglass over on the JD-Saleh Era...putting them on the hot seat.  
Then forward to this offseason.  It was a pretty good FA group of signings...all at reasonable prices.  Then came the draft.  And IMO...and many others here...JD hit it out of the park.  Four consecutive 1st round talents that can make an impact on the team.  Some major...some less.  Three of those picks were a consensus best at their position.  And the fourth pretty much the #4 best at Edge.  A fifth pick...a 2-way TE...that many feel could be best or top 5 at the position.   Thus...an A+ draft.
This team can now cover receivers rush the passer this year.  This team can rock 'n roll on offense and score significantly more points this year.  
I believe this is the best GM-HC collaboration Jets have had since the early Tangini days.  And this is so important.  Having that kind of partnership in order to have success in this league.
I'm looking forward to an exciting fun season.  Hoping for the best...like in playoffs...just like many here wish too.  One thing is for sure.  Football isn't fare...and results can be cruel.  Nothing is ever guaranteed...especially success.  I think that's why I love this game so much. 

Tangini was all Mangini.... this group is better ... MUCH better.

Longer sustaining at least

23 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

26 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

This really was a fantastic offseason on paper. JD added starters to every position group except for LB (so we’ll continue some whining about that), and in many cases added new #1’s. 

Potential #1 WR in Wilson, #1 RB in Hall, #1 & 2 CBs, #1, 2, & 3 TEs, possible #1 Edge in JJ. With Lawson coming back and adding Martin & Thomas, that pass rush has gone from frightening in a bad way to frightening in a good way. They upgraded the only hole on the OL, and drafted a swing tackle. It’s been a haul, and all of them were brought in on his terms, at fair (or better) value. I don’t know how it’s going to work out on the field, but it’s hard not to be excited about the direction of this team. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1