Jump to content

This Isn’t The Draft I Was Picturing But


Recommended Posts

I love it! 
 

I get kind of crazy with mock drafts, looking into potential draftees etc. 

This year turned out way different than I was expecting. 
 

Sauce - Love it. I read something saying that he brings a ton of energy to the locker room. It was night and day when he’s there and not. Makes everyone better around him. Lives and breathes football. Elite talent by earning it. Nothing was given to him. Worked his ass off to get where he’s at. This is fantastic for me. Hard working dude who makes everyone around him great. 
 

Garrett Wilson - Was my #2 WR behind London. This dude has so much potential. I saw a comp of Stephon Diggs which seems on point. Not the biggest guy, but plays bigger than he is. Fast enough and has a winning mentality. 
 

JJ - Started in juco. Worked his ass off to make it where he is now. Elite athleticism and a strong work ethic. A bit older, which imo isn’t a bad thing. He’s a more well rounded edge than a lot of the other guys. 
 

Hall - I didn’t do a ton of research on him, but by all accounts he’s a great fit for the O. Sign me up for a solid 1-2 punch with carter. 
 

Ruckert - I love that he’s a Jersey/NY guy. He was used as a blocker a ton in college. Grinder every year and was clutch in the playoffs making much needed catches. Seems very similar to Kittle in the draft process. 
 

Mitchell - Athletic tackle who has potential to be a solid starter in a year or 2. Needs to add 10ish lbs imo. Moves very well for a big man.  
 

Clemons - No idea about this guy . Seems ok but I have no clue 

Overall I really liked this draft. I would have swapped the Hall pick for a DT/LB/S with the Clemons one and taken a rb then, but besides that I really like it. 
 

Should have 4 day 1 starters which is way more than expected out of a draft. 

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, johnnysd said:

I actually think Ruckert will be a better pro player than college player and could become an elite TE in the NFL.  Was a stealthy awesome pick. Plus his whole family are Jets fans.

5 high impact players is a huge change for a team.   Add the free agents, Lawson coming back, and 2nd year jump from last seasons rookies… right on schedule for the rebuild JD and RS laid out.  

  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Interesting thing about London.  Saleh has said multiple times post draft that they were looking for guys who can take it "80".  Hence the sub 4.4 guys like Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall.  He mentioned it si to hard to score putting together 10 - 15 play drives.  He wants 2-3 play drives every so often.

Based on that, i dont think London was ever on our board.

Thank you Atlanta!  Thank you!!

Bart Scott said something similar the day of the draft. we have a tall possession WR in Mims and he cant get on the field. our offense values WRs like Wilson more. they fit it better.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, doitny said:

Bart Scott said something similar the day of the draft. we have a tall possession WR in Mims and he cant get on the field. our offense values WRs like Wilson more. they fit it better.

The pressure of having moore on one side of the field and garrett wilson on the other is going to be a problem for defenses.  They have to respect the deep ball.  

Yes I am going to say this, "The Jets offense is going to be a problem for defenses this year."

  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The pressure of having moore on one side of the field and garrett wilson on the other is going to be a problem for defenses.  They have to respect the deep ball.  

Yes I am going to say this, "The Jets offense is going to be a problem for defenses this year."

Esp with 2/3 good TEs and 2 good rbs. It’s all on Zach now. Hopefully he can take a huge step forward. He has all the weapons and solid ol to make his life easy now. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Garrett Wilson - Was my #2 WR behind London. This dude has so much potential. I saw a comp of Stephon Diggs which seems on point. Not the biggest guy, but plays bigger than he is. Fast enough and has a winning mentality. 

Should have 4 day 1 starters which is way more than expected out of a draft. 

Your point about the starters is the key. And Ruckert will probably be somewhere in the rotation soon/immediately and starting within a year or two. 

I have no great explanation of why, but I'm glad we didn't go for London. I wanted Wilson. If he even become a Stephon Diggs Minus, that's awesome. I've heard comps to Devante Adams and OBJ. Excited to see what we got in him.

  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

5 high impact players is a huge change for a team.   Add the free agents, Lawson coming back, and 2nd year jump from last seasons rookies… right on schedule for the rebuild JD and RS laid out.  

Completely agree.  Now just imagine if Wilson becomes a true franchise QB.  As long as those accuracy issues are correctable and not an ongoing mental block like the Yips, I am confident he has the skills and makeup to get there.  Plus the Jets are doing a historically non Jetsy thing by supporting him with blockers & playmakers.  
 

I’d add Becton (at RT), Corey Davis, and Lamarcus Joyner to your list as well.  Between them, they missed 5/6th of the season.

And let’s not forget our little kicker with the mob informant name .. Eddie Pinero :).

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I dont see the Diggs/Wilson comparision.  Diggs ran a 4.5 at the combine.  Wilson is a sub 4.4 guy.  Completely different level of speed.

More so in the body control aspect. They both position themselves to make catches very well even though they aren’t that tall. If you watch Wilson’s college tape he’s constantly jumping up and positioning himself great to make catches much like diggs. 
 

Sometimes however Wilson jumps when he doesn’t need to which can hinder YAC. I’m sure that’s correctable though 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, doitny said:

Bart Scott said something similar the day of the draft. we have a tall possession WR in Mims and he cant get on the field. our offense values WRs like Wilson more. they fit it better.

Mims can’t get on the field because he doesn’t know wtf the play and where to line up. He runs a 4.38 lol. 

  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I dont see the Diggs/Wilson comparision.  Diggs ran a 4.5 at the combine.  Wilson is a sub 4.4 guy.  Completely different level of speed.

Their games are very similar. If you don't see that, I can't help you. 

 

The comp is a faster Diggs...

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

4th round picks were kind of meh for me but the first 5 picks were all home runs.

And honestly I would have been worse if it was like "JD made good day 3 picks but totally screwed up the 1st round"

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Interesting thing about London.  Saleh has said multiple times post draft that they were looking for guys who can take it "80".  Hence the sub 4.4 guys like Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall.  He mentioned it si to hard to score putting together 10 - 15 play drives.  He wants 2-3 play drives every so often.

Based on that, i dont think London was ever on our board.

Thank you Atlanta!  Thank you!!

Yes!

A lot of us pointed this out before the draft. Douglas and Saleh have talked about speed on offense constantly. It seems doubtful they preferred London. And you look at the WRs Douglas have drafted - Moore, Mims, Wilson - guys who can fly 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now that the draft is over I have zero complaints with what JD did.  Have to wait to see how these kids do on the field.  Might one or more get cut,  happens all the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Wilson and Hall in this offense have a lot of potential 

 

Gotta keep all these guys healthy at the same time and let them grow 

Moore, Wilson and Hall might be our Gamesters of Triskellion ..

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcT30AMmbUXcWA964Pr6x

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Wilson and Hall in this offense have a lot of potential 

 

Gotta keep all these guys healthy at the same time and let them grow 

Spot on... The biggest buzzkill for this offense and team as a whole will be staying HEALTHY !!!

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...