Becton's reason for not being in NJ for workouts

18 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Becton never plays though lol. 

Never.

Becton knee injury and the talk that his replacement would be drafted is related how given his replacement wasnt drafted?  Which was the point 

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Haha, I looked that up. As a grandfather every time I go someplace with my daughter, son in law and 10 month grandson I watch them and the stuff they own to care for him and it blows my mind. It’s like watching a NASCAR pit crew! Everything is lightweight, versatile and compact. I save the “ back in my day “ crap, but my wife did store everything we had for the kids one day. We had one car seat that weighed more than the car seat, stroller, basins thing  thing they use. Obviously I went to the good will with half a truck full! Haha 

Yep...   everything is so much more ligtweight and convenient.  Every possible thing from strollers to car seats to everything.  Nothing we saved through the years was worth using for my 2+ yr old grandson..  Bulk pick-up day took it all away.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Never.

Becton knee injury and the talk that his replacement would be drafted is related how given his replacement wasnt drafted?  Which was the point 

A 4th round pick coming to a bad team with a pretty scarce roster is expected to compete for snaps. Since Becton is still absent and an unknown, I think it’s even more likely the team. expects Mitchell to play. The Jets aren’t drafting a 4th rounder to be a backup.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

A 4th round pick coming to a bad team with a pretty scarce roster is expected to compete for snaps. Since Becton is still absent and an unknown, I think it’s even more likely the team. expects Mitchell to play. The Jets aren’t drafting a 4th rounder to be a backup.

In this scenario, Fant would play LT, and Mitchell would compete for RT. No way he is ready for LT. They did have Mitchell for a week, so they know tons about him, and what he can do.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Yep...   everything is so much more ligtweight and convenient.  Every possible thing from strollers to car seats to everything.  Nothing we saved through the years was worth using for my 2+ yr old grandson..  Bulk pick-up day took it all away.

I know she saved 15 years of stuff and literally only the keepsakes made the cut! But hey, I got 33% of one of my attics back. Ain’t even complaining. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I'm pretty sure all of that stuff has an expiration date too.  Like motorcycle helmets. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Yes they would. They need OL depth. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Fant is playing LT this season barring injury.

LT will be wide open. If Becton comes in and dominates the LT position, even if Fant plays well, he will start at LT. Optimally, the Jets want Becton to be their starting LT for the next decade. So they will give him every chance to come back from injury and earn that spot back. The know what Fant can do and that he can swing back to RT. 

As far as Mitchell, he is definitely a backup as it stands. He will have to take playing time away from McDermott, who it seems like the Jets actually like.

So even if theres an injury to Fant or Becton, Mitchell will have to beat out McDermott to get those backup snaps.  

34 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Really?  We've drafted 1st rounders to be career backups

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Haha, I looked that up. As a grandfather every time I go someplace with my daughter, son in law and 10 month grandson I watch them and the stuff they own to care for him and it blows my mind. It’s like watching a NASCAR pit crew! Everything is lightweight, versatile and compact. I save the “ back in my day “ crap, but my wife did store everything we had for the kids one day. We had one car seat that weighed more than the car seat, stroller, basins thing  thing they use. Obviously I went to the good will with half a truck full! Haha 

Whenever we have conversations with parents with kids at least 10 y/o or older and they see what newborn parents have access to now it's just sheer jealousy. Still a crazy grind but unless you're a new parent right now you really don't realize what all the advancements in wifi and bluetooth have created for parenting gadgets. It's a huge blessing. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, section314 said:

In this scenario, Fant would play LT, and Mitchell would compete for RT. No way he is ready for LT. They did have Mitchell for a week, so they know tons about him, and what he can do.

Mitchell is 6’6” 307 and his greatest strength is his mobility, which projects well to a zone blocking scheme. The Niners drafted Mike McGlinchey ninth overall to be their ORT and he’s 6’8, 310. The RT in this scheme isn’t supposed to be a road grader, so it’s not implausible that Mitchell pushes for playing time, particularly If Becton continues with the hijinks.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Mitchell is 6’6” 307 and his greatest strength is his mobility, which projects well to a zone blocking scheme. The Niners drafted Mike McGlinchey ninth overall to be their ORT and he’s 6’8, 310. The RT in this scheme isn’t supposed to be a road grader, so it’s not implausible that Mitchell pushes for playing time, particularly If Becton continues with the hijinks.

Mitchell is a great fit with this scheme and even if he’s not the run blocker they want, if he can simply be an adequate pass blocker he enters training camp as a key OL backup.  He’s the opposite of a guy like Brandon shell who had feet of lead and got qbs killed.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Mitchell is a great fit with this scheme and even if he’s not the run blocker they want, if he can simply be an adequate pass blocker he enters training camp as a key OL backup.  He’s the opposite of a guy like Brandon shell who had feet of lead and got qbs killed.

Absolutely. I think if he comes in and simply looks competent, things are gonna get itchy for Becton. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Exactly. Was going over some pre draft stuff this SM on him and Draftbuzz specifically said he would be perfect in a SF based system. They had him as a3rd guy.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hijinks?

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

For moths all we heard here is that if or when JD drafted a T it would prove that JD and the Jets were moving on from Becton.

Now that we didnt draft a T shouldnt the opposite be true, that the Jets weren't thinking of moving on from Becton.  Of course it does but bitching about Becton and calling him fat and lazy is just a thing around here

image.png.ed674b45d8bd7ba41b7f522d2dfc6603.png

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Absolutely. I think if he comes in and simply looks competent, things are gonna get itchy for Becton. 

especially since they now have 3 legitimate TEs and they can collectively alleviate some of the blocking load from the tackles.  And they have a stud rb as well.

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

Exactly. Was going over some pre draft stuff this SM on him and Draftbuzz specifically said he would be perfect in a SF based system. They had him as a3rd guy.

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

especially since they now have 3 legitimate TEs and they can collectively alleviate some of the blocking load from the tackles.  And they have a stud rb as well.

Another factor is that the Jets are clearly going to run the ball 600 times, and they’re aren’t any really great pass rushers coming off the right side, other than in Buffalo with Von Miller. It could be as simple as Saleh making the calculation that Becton isn’t worth the headache, presuming he doesn’t straighten up and fly right. The return for him could be worth a lot more than keeping him. 

• Upvote 2

Never understood people getting upset over a week of voluntary workouts...it's just an excuse for the media to stir sh*t and fans to get upset over nonsense.....I'm personally hysterical over Becton doing a few shuttle drills in Dallas instead of Florham Park.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets aren’t drafting a 4th rounder to be a backup.

Office Space GIF by 20th Century Fox Home EntertainmentOffice Space Case Of The Mondays GIF

I've don't hear many people suggest that drafting a guy in the fourth round means you expect that player to start, particularly right away (maybe out of desperation I guess). I'd say most fourth rounders are drafted as backups initially (at least on good rosters). It would be great though if Becton is healthy and Max could push him.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Geez, it's come to this now?  lol  The HC imploring him?

I want to make a joke about "how much do you think he lost, what did the tail weigh?"  but in this culturally sensitive climate, feel like I'd earn another ban because it could be misconstrued due to ignorant stuff people said for years which I don't truck with; I just want to use Saleh's words to make another "Becton is fat joke"

Still, like 10 pounds right? Becton probably 390 now. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

no hes not, hes expected to provide depth and be able to step in if theres an injury.  

Starting Ts arent drafted in the 4th

41 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Swing and a miss

"Teams don't generally expect 4th round picks to start"

"Oh really, here's a 4th round pick who started!"

By that logic, teams expect every QB drafted in the 6th round to become the GOAT. It's a terrible argument and you should feel bad about making it

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

"Teams don't generally expect 4th round picks to start"

"Oh really, here's a 4th round pick who started!"

By that logic, teams expect every QB drafted in the 6th round to become the GOAT. It's a terrible argument and you should feel bad about making it

I feel great ? 

39 minutes ago, Barton said:

Another beyond weird comment between Jets coaches/FO and Becton.

"Come here big fella, we'll take care of you"

WTF?

Jets need to get a veteran in here like Moses again. 

Good point.  It's what I said earlier about imploring him to come back here.  It's like they're talking to a five year-old to come and eat dinner or take a bath.  Strange.