Becton's reason for not being in NJ for workouts

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

When JD was making the rounds yesterday he said on Rich Eisen's show that she had not had the baby yet.

My takeaway from that interview was very pro Bechton. Seems the Jets are in contact with Bechton and the people he is working with. Jets seem to be understanding of his absence and satisfied with the reports. As much as I would like to see him in Florham Park he has his legit reason for being absent. Along with the fact Camp was not mandatory.

• Upvote 2

I think it's presumptuous to think that just b/c the Jets didn't draft a Tackle in the 1st round that Becton is safe.  There are still veteran FA RT options in FA.  There are trade candidates like McGlinchey in SF whose 5th year option didn't get picked up.  Plus SF drafted at tackle in the 4th round in 2021 and the 5th round this year.  

The sign that Becton isn't secure will be when the Jets sign Fant to a LT level extension.  

On 5/1/2022 at 12:05 PM, T0mShane said:

Mitchell is 6’6” 307 and his greatest strength is his mobility, which projects well to a zone blocking scheme. The Niners drafted Mike McGlinchey ninth overall to be their ORT and he’s 6’8, 310. The RT in this scheme isn’t supposed to be a road grader, so it’s not implausible that Mitchell pushes for playing time, particularly If Becton continues with the hijinks.

There's no evidence I'm aware of that he was drafted just to be a permanent fixture at RT. And I'm aware of everything. Every. Thing.

It's far more likely he was drafted to be the LT after Staley - who was already in his mid-30s - faded. Except they saw he's just not good enough, giving up a handful of sacks per year at right tackle, even when missing 25% of the season, which is probably why they then went so heavily after Trent Williams at age 32, despite missing 29 games over his prior 4 seasons.

McGlinchey is a disappointment to them; you can find what he brings in the 2nd-4th rounds. He'll be a UFA after his rookie contract & 5th year option are up, unless his going rate continues at/under $10MM/year as the cap ceilings hit $220MM+. 

1 hour ago, Bocajetfan said:

My takeaway from that interview was very pro Bechton. Seems the Jets are in contact with Bechton and the people he is working with. Jets seem to be understanding of his absence and satisfied with the reports. As much as I would like to see him in Florham Park he has his legit reason for being absent. Along with the fact Camp was not mandatory.

What else are the Jets going to say?  They're surely not going to throw him under the bus.  The argument that it's voluntary is valid but when you've been gone from the team the entire year and then off-season you should show up to OTA's.  Especially if the front office and coaching staff said you were in a competition for your job with Fant.  I think the fact that he's not there shows some insight into his mentality in general, especially regarding his weight.  There "seems" to be a lack of desire in him to do what he has to do to perform at his job.  I am quite confident this issue is what has "reportedly" some coaches and some in the front office down on him.

Jets just posted some videos of the team doing really basic drills. 

I didn’t know they were allowed to do that, I thought they just lifted weights. 

kinda changing my position that he needs to get here and be with the team 

On 5/1/2022 at 9:20 AM, Matt39 said:

The Jets drafted a tackle in the 4th round.

Sure, but as an insurance policy.

As of now, he's a backup swing tackle who could eventually take Becton or Fant's place in case of injury or a guy leaving in free agency. 

It's clear that plan A is for Fant and Becton to start, most likely at left and right tackle, respectively.