Breece Hall or: Is it almost always a bad idea to give a RB a 2nd contract?

I wonder if part of the reason JD wanted to trade back into the 1st to draft Breece Hall was to get the 5 year contract (instead of a 4 year contract due to him being picked in the 2nd).  RBs have such a short shelf-life and it feels like teams regret 2nd contracts for RBs pretty quickly.  They're easily replaceable players and a 2nd contract eats up cap space.  So getting the extra year out of Breece might've been the perfect amount of time to have him before replacing him.

A problem for another day I guess.  

image.png.8910dda4a3f0a422395121e3f2b561a0.png

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Good point. The Vikings wouldn’t trade with the Packers in the 1st round because they didn’t want Christian Watson to have a 5th year option. So they made the trade in the second. 

It makes sense to re-sign a WR though.  RBs feel like they're heavily depreciating assets.  And Breece had a lot of carries in college.  The clock on Breece has definitely started.

2 minutes ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

I mentioned this on another thread recently, with the lack of second contracts this team has given for their draft picks in the last decade, if hall is even in the conversation for a second contract in four years, I’ll take that as a win

My point is more that it's sort of a bad idea in principle to give a RB a 2nd contract.  With most other positions, it's at least a discussion.

Rb’s, at least for what they contribute, make far less than other impact positions. CMC is highest paid at 16m per year, the 10th highest paid RB last year made around 6.8m. While every other position seems to be going up at crazy rates, seems like the RB market is stagnant. If you have one of those rare RBs that deserve a large second contract, it’s not likely going to destroy your cap like an elite WR would. Additionally, there is still a franchise tag. The 5th year option would of been nice but not the end of the world either.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It makes sense to re-sign a WR though.  RBs feel like they're heavily depreciating assets.  And Breece had a lot of carries in college.  The clock on Breece has definitely started.

I know, man but I’m saying that teams think about this. If the Vikings are that cognizant about it with a WR imagine how teams may think with a RB. 

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

My point is more that it's sort of a bad idea in principle to give a RB a 2nd contract.  With most other positions, it's at least a discussion.

100% agree that second contracts for running backs have not been a great idea recently, but if you can get an impact player for the next four years it might be worth the second round pick, even if there isn’t a second contract involved 

• Upvote 1

Heard a GM on NFL radio mention the end of the 1st round is a great spot to take a RB your high on because between 4 seasons+5th year option + franchise tag (if worth it) you've pretty much got the entire extent of a RB's prime. He might still play at a high level the 1st, MAYBE 2nd year of the new huge contract but it'll rarely be worth the yearly cap hit.

If ever there was a position to save money and keep a pipe line of players on rookie contracts, RB definitely seems the way to go. Titans messed up big time, IMO. I'd take AJ Brown on a 2nd contract over Henry any day. 

• Upvote 1