A look ahead - guys signed for 2023

Always like to see what areas they’re going to need to build up next year to see where they could use some UDFA’s making the roster. Looks like OL, DT, and unsurprisingly LB. Pretty full groups at corner, WR, RB, TE.

These are the guys I recall spending time on last year’s roster early in the year when they had a healthy group plus the 2022 draft picks.

QB - Zach Wilson

RB - Breece Hall, Michael Carter, La’Mical Perine

WR - Elijah Moore, Garrett Wilson, Corey Davis, Braxton Berrios, Denzel Mims

TE - CJ Uzomah, Tyler Conklin, Jeremy Ruckert

OT - Mekhi Becton, Max Mitchell

G - Dalvin Tomlinson, Alijah Vera-Tucker

C -

K -

P - Braden Mann

LS - Thomas Hennessy

EDGE - Carl Lawson, Jermaine Johnson, Jacob Martin, Micheal Clemons

iDL - John Franklin-Myers, Quinnen Williams, Jonathan Marshall

LB - CJ Mosley, Jamien Sherwood, Hamsah Nasirildeen

CB - Sauce Gardner, DJ Reed, Michael Carter, Bryce Hall, Brandin Echols, Isaiah Dunn, Justin Hardee

S - Jordan Whitehead, Ashtyn Davis, Justin Pinnock

Some thoughts:

Only $33M in cap space before accounting for this rookie class, maybe like $15M with them and around 10 roster spots to fill in FA. Going to be a different style of offseason. Even less significant signings, cuts.

Hopefully they’re comfortable developing a rookie backup QB starting next year because year to year with veterans is expensive and doesn’t offer stability.

With Hall and Carter hopefully a strong 1-2 punch I wonder if Perine’s special teams value and contract keeps him safer than folks think this year. 

Deepest WR group I can remember. Davis is cuttable but his deal is reasonable relative to where the WR market went this year, I feel like he could even have trade value. Suspect he may be safe unless Mims has a bounce back and takes his job. Berrios cuttable as well, his role this year will be interesting.

Definitely the best TE group I can remember. Very minimal cap savings for Conklin and negative for Uzomah so this is the group.

Douglas’ rebuilt OL starts crumbling. A Fant extension would be big. This is where stuff like the Feeney signing loses me, he got decent money, you blocked a roster spot for a late pick or UDFA in what was an athletic iOL class, and have a crater heading into next year. The 49ers signed two high upside draftable iOL who obviously would’ve been scheme fits for the Jets. Center after this year will be interesting. Hope they can somehow add a guy to develop as a potential starter. Tomlinson would offer meaningful cap savings but hopefully he cements his value.

They haven’t had any stability at kicker so that’s not a surprise. Hennessy has been a roster staple.

Some edge depth but I’m sure they’ll keep adding. Obviously JFM is a swing guy and can play there. Lawson and Martin would both offer cap savings, Martin’s are pretty minimal, hopefully both play well enough to justify their deals.

Looks like DT will be a need. Hopefully Marshall takes a leap this year. A JFM cut could offer cap savings but again hopefully he justifies his deal. Last year for Quinnen, so extension talks will be a story.

Linebacker is a definite hole. Mosley almost definitely has to be gone. Obviously they like Sherwood and Nasirildeen, hopefully those guys take steps this year. Tons of uncertainty. Another one I’m surprised they didn’t hit harder in UDFA, there were guys, although they did bring one interesting prospect so hopefully he sticks. Wonder if they bring back Quincy after this year.

Corner is just stocked. Hardee is really a special teamer and the only one who would offer cap savings, completely not guaranteed. Wonder if Echols starts working at nickel, Hall at safety, they move one of those guys for a late round pick, or they just stick with a deeper corner group.

Safety is okay. Whitehead is cuttable but hopefully he has a nice year. Pinnock building on what he showed at safety, grabbing a starting job, and running with it would be huge for long term roster construction, and of course Davis playing well would be nice too. Some questions but not a bad group.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Of all of our position units the one I am gobsmacked the jets seem to think is okay to good is LB.   Not great players and poor depth.  Scheme might have hurt them a bit last year as well.

I figured they would either seriously address it or take last year’s corner approach of throw a bunch of athletic guys we didn’t invest a lot in and see what happens and…neither. I do know the position is devalued but they have almost nobody. Two roster guys in David and Cashman gone and no FA’s or draft picks.

Random but topical, Jacob Martin is listed in the roster as a linebacker and like 242. Either a mistake (most likely) or they have a new blitz heavy, fill against the run type role for him.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Of all of our position units the one I am gobsmacked the jets seem to think is okay to good is LB.   Not great players and poor depth.  Scheme might have hurt them a bit last year as well.

Bad combo, too, because we don’t have anything at IDL other than the occasional Quinnen Williams play. Defense is going to be a sieve up the middle again.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bad combo, too, because we don’t have anything at IDL other than the occasional Quinnen Williams play. Defense is going to be a sieve up the middle again.

As obnoxious as Hughes can be, he maintained they didn’t mind the linebacker play last year and felt that interior defensive line play was a problem. That was dead on. He had a good offseason.

Given they didn’t bring back Fatukasi and their iDL additions have been even smaller, I wonder if he was a schematic square peg round hole. They need disrupters not cloggers for the quicker guys to be able to clean up.

Or, the run defense will be brutal again.

• Upvote 3

Corey Davis and CJ Mosely are the 2 vet leaders who are going to be asked to restructure and take major pay cuts or they will be released.  It will be interesting to see if either will want to be part of the Super Bowl runs that are coming our way and accept the pay cut to do that.

Next year’s mission is to fix the defense up the middle and to continue adding pieces to the OL. I dont mind resigning Fant and McGovern though.

We are getting to the point where we can say we are 2 or 3 pieces on defense away from being a legit team. 

• Upvote 1

They'll keep adding to the trenches and receiver group in the early rounds.  JD is going to set up an assembly line of ready made edges and lineman that will be plug and play when it's time to let the expensive vets walk.  

The comp game starts in 2024. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, derp said:

As obnoxious as Hughes can be, he maintained they didn’t mind the linebacker play last year and felt that interior defensive line play was a problem. That was dead on. He had a good offseason.

Given they didn’t bring back Fatukasi and their iDL additions have been even smaller, I wonder if he was a schematic square peg round hole. They need disrupters not cloggers for the quicker guys to be able to clean up.

We were even worse with Fatukasi off the field so he definitely wasn’t the issue even if he didn’t fit the scheme.

I can’t believe they brought back Shepherd, even if it’s just a camp body, he may have been the worst player in the NFL last season. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It seems like they feel that Marshall is a player, and he will be heavy involved in the rotation. JFM will also play more inside this year. Rankins, Q and Shepard are what they are,.Would not be shocked at all to see JD pick up a guy after June 1st.

• Upvote 1

We usually go into the year with like 15 players under contract that we actually still want on the team. It’s refreshing to see a next year roster of players that looks solid.

With how crazy WR contracts are heading, if Corey Davis shows to be a solid #3 option, I’m keeping him. Mosley is the only guy I could see us cutting or restructuring/pay cut. It’ll be hard for him to justify that salary.

Edit: If Mosley plays well, I would prefer to actually restructure his deal and bring down to market value instead of just cutting him. I think it'll continue that culture building and send a message that guys actually want to play here without us needing to overpay.

• Upvote 1

The only solace I can get is that LB and C seem to be highly attainable in FA.  Additionally, you don't have to break the bank relative to other positions like WR, QB, OLB, etc.  I think the jets draft next year is focused on C, LB,S, and OT assuming 2022 draft class lives up to its billing. The wildcard is going to be OT because if Fant sucks and Becton sucks, we're in a world of trouble!

• Upvote 1

We have to assume Fant and McGovern extensions are coming. Also a restructure of CJ Mosley’s deal has to be in the works. Same goes for Corey Davis. 

When I say the rebuild is complete we need to win now it’s not just because I liked our draft but our asset chest is cleared out. We’re back to even footing with the NFL. It’s all patchwork and maintenance from here on out.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

We have to assume Fant and McGovern extensions are coming. Also a restructure of CJ Mosley’s deal has to be in the works. Same goes for Corey Davis. 

When I say the rebuild is complete we need to win now it’s not just because I liked our draft but our asset chest is cleared out. We’re back to even footing with the NFL. It’s all patchwork and maintenance from here on out.

If I'm Davis there's no way I'm restructuring unless it includes a raise.  

Receiver market might be 40+ in two years.   18+ for the mediocre and he might put up decent numbers if Zach progresses. 

53 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Corey Davis and CJ Mosely are the 2 vet leaders who are going to be asked to restructure and take major pay cuts or they will be released.  It will be interesting to see if either will want to be part of the Super Bowl runs that are coming our way and accept the pay cut to do that.

They both have fully guaranteed salaries for 2022, so probably not this year. 

56 minutes ago, derp said:

I think they want more versatility, and favor quickness over size. I expect to see JFM and Solomon Thomas at DT a lot this year. There’s probably a LB on someone else’s roster right now who’ll be on the Jets in September. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

Yeah, it seems they’re  going with more of a Rams YOLO approach where they just try and sprint into the backfield on every play, but it seems dicey because they don’t have anything close to the Rams personnel other than maybe Gardner. That’s banking a lot on guys like Quinnen and Lawson performing at levels that they’ve never come close to reaching. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, it seems they’re  going with more of a Rams YOLO approach where they just try and sprint into the backfield on every play, but it seems dicey because they don’t have anything close to the Rams personnel other than maybe Gardner. That’s banking a lot on guys like Quinnen and Lawson performing at levels that they’ve never come close to reaching. 

Hopefully it’s easier to have more consistency with the group, a bunch of disruptors, than it’s is to mix disruptors and gap cloggers.

They’ve done a good job adding guys who win one on one matchups, aside from their first round pick ironically, and hopefully the sheer volume of guys who win one on one leads to their being somebody who’s disruptive most of the time. Getting JFM inside more should be good to that end, and going heavy on edges should help them do that more. San Fran did a better job defending last year when they got smaller up front and hopefully it works for the Jets. And the edge guys who were playing for the Jets last year were honestly pretty brutal.

I still thought the offense caused issues last year too. Couldn’t stay on the field and I thought the defense wore down at points.