Post Draft Thoughts ...

4 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I said it in a earlier post:

If Mims shows ANYTHING he's our number 5. 

If he somehow puts it together, however unlikely, he's our number 1. 

That's worth hanging onto for another 2 years. 

You dont ever see a WR who has been as bad as Mims has been for 2 seasons go on to become a teams #1, especially a team that then drafted Moore high and then Wilson at 10.  Its not happening

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

18 minutes ago, C Mart said:

That’s what you’re hoping for, right?

No I'm not emotional about it like you are I have just watched Mims not be able to run a route for 2 years and using common sense....what do you think is more likely Denzel Mims is the third WR on this team or he will be cut?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

20 minutes ago, undertow said:

No I'm not emotional about it like you are I have just watched Mims not be able to run a route for 2 years and using common sense....what do you think is more likely Denzel Mims is the third WR on this team or he will be cut?

3rd WR. Healthy and in his 2nd season in the same system. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Their WR4, Braxton Berrios, is a core special teamer. I think that gives them that luxury to see what Mims can do as WR5. After Davis, he’s their only WR with size. And he has speed, too. IMO, they are going to give him every opportunity to make the roster. Joe Douglas will let Saleh make the call, but he’s also gotta be pulling for Mims here. 

I’m really curious about the Saleh and Douglas dynamic when it comes to guys like Mims (and cough others) who may not be buying in to the program. I can’t imagine that they’re in love with Mims, despite the traits, and you’d think they’d just slot someone else into WR5 who is maybe a little more low-maintenance.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m really curious about the Saleh and Douglas dynamic when it comes to guys like Mims (and cough others) who may not be buying in to the program. I can’t imagine that they’re in love with Mims, despite the traits, and you’d think they’d just slot someone else into WR5 who is maybe a little more low-maintenance.  

Coaches are all about getting players ready to play well, Douglas has been masterful at being patient enough to hoodwink some team for a pick in a trade.

The only way Mims stays on this team imo is if we hear camp reports of him just totally lighting it up.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, mrcoops said:

The pre-season battle for spots at DE is going to be intense.

Lawson, JFM, Johnson, Curry, Huff, Clemons, Zuniga, Ward, Rashed, Anae.

How many can we keep on the 53 - 4? 5?

As per Saleh, JFM is going to be moved to the interior where he has better success rushing the passer.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Coaches are all about getting players ready to play well, Douglas has been masterful at being patient enough to hoodwink some team for a pick in a trade.

The only way Mims stays on this team imo is if we hear camp reports of him just totally lighting it up.

I think we’re going to see a wild amount of player movement this summer, with weird trades and cuts like we’ve never seen. Still to be resolved are Baker Mayfield, Jimmy Garopollo, Deebo, Metcalf, McLaurin, Kyler Murray, etc etc. No one is sticking with a former draft pick that annoys them and it sounds like everyone thinks the 2023 draft is going to be an orgy of talent, especially as compared to this one. If you wanted to dump a Mims, or a troubled tackle prospect, you can probably get that done over the new few weeks. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think we’re going to see a wild amount of player movement this summer, with weird trades and cuts like we’ve never seen. Still to be resolved are Baker Mayfield, Jimmy Garopollo, Deebo, Metcalf, McLaurin, Kyler Murray, etc etc. No one is sticking with a former draft pick that annoys them and it sounds like everyone thinks the 2023 draft is going to be an orgy of talent, especially as compared to this one. If you wanted to dump a Mims, or a troubled tackle prospect, you can probably get that done over the new few weeks. 

I don't see Murray going anywhere... The Cards just gave him his go to College receiver (Hollywood Brown) as a caveat of what is to come... He will get his contract... in due time.

image.thumb.png.5da440eb59b11df665fa2f3a78d59afc.png

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He would rankle Team Zach too much. 

It’s that, it’s how much are you going to pay Folk and wouldn’t you rather bring in more contributors for that money.   You don’t believe in Wilson, but JD and RS do. Of course your not going to agree on that lol.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Hal N of Provo said:

It’s that, it’s how much are you going to pay Folk and wouldn’t you rather bring in more contributors for that money.   You don’t believe in Wilson, but JD and RS do. Of course your not going to agree on that lol.  

I believe that Joe Douglas did the math on when and where he’d shoot his shot on a QB and the external factors led him settle on Zach Wilson. This year’s QBs were a bad lot, and he likely presumed he wouldn’t be in position to draft anyone good in 2023, so he did what he did, for better or worse

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I believe that Joe Douglas did the math on when and where he’d shoot his shot on a QB and the external factors led him settle on Zach Wilson. This year’s QBs were a bad lot, and he likely presumed he wouldn’t be in position to draft anyone good in 2023, so he did what he did, for better or worse

And JD speaks with passion about how he sees greatness in Zach Wilson.  I don’t think it’s GM talk - he believes Zach is going to make it.  Zach’s got another full season at least to prove it.  

2 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

And JD speaks with passion about how he sees greatness in Zach Wilson.  I don’t think it’s GM talk - he believes Zach is going to make it.  Zach’s got another full season at least to prove it.  

Eight games. If the Jets aren’t scoring 24+ ppg, Zach hits the bench forever.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Why not take Fields then? 

Joe, the staff, and the entire team love Zach. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, hmhertz said:

The problem with our defense is the lack of effort QW

plays with. It is apparent on film, look at the lack of

hustle compared to any good linemen. Our pass

rush was inconsistent to poor and our run defense

even worse. Saleh has said the problem against  the

run is not our LBs, the fault is with the interior defense.

While  Williams is not always on the field, he is the poorest

hustling member of the unit and the entire team.

Mims has played special teams for the Jets, sparingly I'll

admit and his effort is there.

Concerning his not knowing how to play all three positions.

Listening to him doing long interviews, he doesn't come

across as an idiot. I'm sure he understands the basics of the play

but through lack of time on the field has yet to grasp the subtilties

of all three positions.  Not a suggestion but at a time when a

big return would be very important, we have better return options

than Berrios. Wilson is better with the ball in his hand than Zach's buddy

and our home run hitting new RB would be a hell of a kick returner.

I realize, working with the special team blockers importance  but

Berrios isn't in the class of explosive playmakers as Wilson or Hall

Jeez, what is this? I can't believe I wasted 30 seconds of my life reading it.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Why not take Fields then? 

Joe, the staff, and the entire team love Zach. 

I think both were similar prospects, with the tie-breaker being that the Niners would have probably taken Zach if the Jets passed on him.

44 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We all project, but my feeling is that there’s more frustration than animosity going on between the players in question and the staff, and that they’d all really like to see themselves work it out. Mims will make it thru training camp, at least. I just think they’d all love to see the light come on here. Both men are loaded with natural talent. 

• Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, slats said:

We all project, but my feeling is that there’s more frustration than animosity going on between the players in question and the staff, and that they’d all really like to see themselves work it out. Mims will make it thru training camp, at least. I just think they’d all love to see the light come on here. Both men are loaded with natural talent. 

Probably true, but I think the difference between being frustrated with Mims and Becton and being done with them is that Douglas and Saleh are rookies in their respective roles who don’t have the experience to identify a lost cause.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Probably true, but I think the difference between being frustrated with Mims and Becton and being done with them is that Douglas and Saleh are rookies in their respective roles who don’t have the experience to identify a lost cause.

I don't necessarily think that the staff groups them together.  If I had to guess, I would say Mims is more likely than not gone, with a chance to win back his roster spot in the summer. 

I think Becton showed enough as a rookie to not be considered a lost cause.  Sure looks like he is entering camp as the presumed starter.  He gets this season to show he can stay on the field and produce.  I have no issue giving Becton this season based on what he showed on the field as a rookie.  Completely different case than Mims, imo.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Now with this draft done. No more multiple first and second round picks. Joes gonna have to draft the ol fashion way with just one pick. 

I suspect Q is going to be dealt fir picks next off season 

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Saleh mention mims is off to great start this offseason here 1:45 mark

7 hours ago, hmhertz said:

The problem with our defense is the lack of effort QW

plays with. It is apparent on film, look at the lack of

hustle compared to any good linemen. Our pass

rush was inconsistent to poor and our run defense

even worse. Saleh has said the problem against  the

run is not our LBs, the fault is with the interior defense.

While  Williams is not always on the field, he is the poorest

hustling member of the unit and the entire team.

Mims has played special teams for the Jets, sparingly I'll

admit and his effort is there.

Concerning his not knowing how to play all three positions.

Listening to him doing long interviews, he doesn't come

across as an idiot. I'm sure he understands the basics of the play

but through lack of time on the field has yet to grasp the subtilties

of all three positions.  Not a suggestion but at a time when a

big return would be very important, we have better return options

than Berrios. Wilson is better with the ball in his hand than Zach's buddy

and our home run hitting new RB would be a hell of a kick returner.

I realize, working with the special team blockers importance  but

Berrios isn't in the class of explosive playmakers as Wilson or Hall

What did I just read?

• Upvote 3