Post Draft Thoughts ...

8 hours ago, Drums said:

In their most recent press conference, JD and Saleh mentioned more than once you need to give guys 3 years to develop. To me, that sounds like Mims, Becton, and that class will get this year to show what they can do. 

Well CB Hall and P Mann were starters out of that draft. If Becton ends up being a good RT and Mims at least gets on the field some that can’t be considered an awful draft.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

They loved it.  Just not that dude.

Yeah, they were very positive about the 1st round.  They weren’t thrilled with the trade up to get Hall though, called it a luxury pick and quoted the ‘never take a RB before R3’ gospel 

8 hours ago, ID. said:

Yeah, they were very positive about the 1st round.  They weren’t thrilled with the trade up to get Hall though, called it a luxury pick and quoted the ‘never take a RB before R3’ gospel 

Rules are made to be broken, absolutes are for simpletons. The big picture over at Jets One Drive is all about developing Zach Wilson. Even the defensive players are about keeping the games close so he can operate the game plan rather than dig himself out of a two TD hole. I wanted Breece Hall, and I think a lot of fans did. I expected them to find a complement to MC1, instead they relegated him to RB2. And that can only be good for Zach. They are going to run the football this year, and set up the play action and deep strikes to Moore and Wilson. They love Ruckert, too, and believe he was doing a lot of the things SF asks Juszczyk and Kittle to do at Ohio, and that they expect him to be a much better pro than college player. 

56 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I wonder if the plan at safety was for a one year bandaid. I think next year's draft is a bit better for safety

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Seems to me that rather than seeing an issue at safety, they saw an issue in the secondary as a whole and improved it with maybe one of the only blue chip prospects in the draft. This after bringing in DJ Reed, Whitehead, and resigning Joyner. I think they’re happy with the Pinnock experiment there, and it wouldn’t shock me to see them working Hall at FS, either. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

Just now, slats said:

Rules are made to be broken, absolutes are for simpletons. The big picture over at Jets One Drive is all about developing Zach Wilson. Even the defensive players are about keeping the games close so he can operate the game plan rather than dig himself out of a two TD hole. I wanted Breece Hall, and I think a lot of fans did. I expected them to find a complement to MC1, instead they relegated him to RB2. And that can only be good for Zach. They are going to run the football this year, and set up the play action and deep strikes to Moore and Wilson. They love Ruckert, too, and believe he was doing a lot of the things SF asks Juszczyk and Kittle to do at Ohio, and that they expect him to be a much better pro than college player. 

Seems to me that rather than seeing an issue at safety, they saw an issue in the secondary as a whole and improved it with maybe one of the only blue chip prospects in the draft. This after bringing in DJ Reed, Whitehead, and resigning Joyner. I think they’re happy with the Pinnock experiment there, and it wouldn’t shock me to see them working Hall at FS, either. 

I think with JJ and Lawson and gardener it will be easier to cover the guys that gardener doesn’t.

And I generally agree with that philosophy. Two reasons for an exception here. Zach needs playmakers if he is going to have a chance to succeed and Hall is a special player.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

19 hours ago, hmhertz said:

The problem with our defense is the lack of effort QW

plays with. It is apparent on film, look at the lack of

hustle compared to any good linemen. Our pass

rush was inconsistent to poor and our run defense

even worse. Saleh has said the problem against  the

run is not our LBs, the fault is with the interior defense.

While  Williams is not always on the field, he is the poorest

hustling member of the unit and the entire team.

Mims has played special teams for the Jets, sparingly I'll

admit and his effort is there.

Concerning his not knowing how to play all three positions.

Listening to him doing long interviews, he doesn't come

across as an idiot. I'm sure he understands the basics of the play

but through lack of time on the field has yet to grasp the subtilties

of all three positions.  Not a suggestion but at a time when a

big return would be very important, we have better return options

than Berrios. Wilson is better with the ball in his hand than Zach's buddy

and our home run hitting new RB would be a hell of a kick returner.

I realize, working with the special team blockers importance  but

Berrios isn't in the class of explosive playmakers as Wilson or Hall

I want to reiterate how terrible and non-sensical a post this. Lack of effort lol. Dude showed more heart playing with 1 good shoulder…

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Probably true, but I think the difference between being frustrated with Mims and Becton and being done with them is that Douglas and Saleh are rookies in their respective roles who don’t have the experience to identify a lost cause.

You mean theyre not acting like fans who are in need of instant gratification?  

There isnt a CS in the NFL that would be done with Becton after two seasons

Mims needs to prove himself no doubt, but if he does, there's no reason for ML not to give him chances. He's had mental lapses, and health issues, but if he can put them behind him and show this coaching staff he can play then there is no reason he shouldn't be in the mix. If you get his college production out of him, there's no reason he shouldn't be on the field, he catches most everything. ML needs to find ways to use him, and not demand he knows every WR position if that's why he was down on him before. Create some plays that work for Mims as well, and the offense you run. If you're an OC, you should be able to make things work to players strength's as well as your system.

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, slats said:

Context is everything. Absolutes are for simpletons seems pretty accurate. I cant imagine anyone thinking it was a bad draft...i was actually surprised our beat wasn't anti Joe /Jets as usual. It was refreshing to see only a minor comment here and there about needing line depth on day two. 

This is the first time I can remember where the beat wasn't actively against us as usual.

On 5/1/2022 at 11:43 AM, mrcoops said:

The pre-season battle for spots at DE is going to be intense.

Lawson, JFM, Johnson, Curry, Huff, Clemons, Zuniga, Ward, Rashed, Anae.

How many can we keep on the 53 - 4? 5?

You're also missing Jacob Martin who is a pretty solid player we picked up in FA from the Texans.

5 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

You're also missing Jacob Martin who is a pretty solid player we picked up in FA from the Texans.

Indeed, though he is listed as a LB on the Jets' website.

But, yes, he's yet another guy pushing for a roster spot and PT at edge.

It's going to be a huge battle, and some worthy players aren't going to make the roster.

2 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Agreed and everything Zuniga and after on that list probably dont make the roster.

I get the feeling there will be plenty of snaps where there’s not 3 lbs on the field, that the dbs are more valuable, which also may have played into loving gardener.  

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Indeed, though he is listed as a LB on the Jets' website.

But, yes, he's yet another guy pushing for a roster spot and PT at edge.

It's going to be a huge battle, and some worthy players aren't going to make the roster.

He signed a three year deal with $6M guaranteed. He’s not pushing for a roster spot, but definitely playing time. I expect him to get it. 

We needed starters on this team, and that's exactly what JD provided.... He went up and got his guys... That said, I would have liked it if we got more guys... I think the only guy that I didn't think he would pick was Sauce. I know there wasn't anyone willing to trade down, so I can't really get upset about wanting to pick up another 2nd and 3rd rounder. There was tremendous value in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds this year, and I think we could have had more like 7-8 solid additions to this team instead of just 4, possibly 5 if Ruckert gets good playing time, but also understand his time will come maybe next year.