Post Draft Thoughts ...

On 5/1/2022 at 9:49 AM, KRL said:

- I'm glad we didn't double dip at WR in the draft.  Because I want to see if
Denzel Mims has any shot at reaching his draft potential.  I'm not expecting it
but if Mims somehow finds his game a WR corps with him being WR5 would be scary

From the Move the Sticks podcast, Daniel Jeremiah "Mims I've been told has been off the charts in the offseason stuff." Joe Douglas on the Rich Eisen show "We got Elijah, we got Garrett, we got Denzel who's been doing great coming back in OTAs in phenomenal shape and working his tale off". 

For those that have not giving up on Mims, sounds like he had a reality check and is working his butt off this offseason.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

From the Move the Sticks podcast, Daniel Jeremiah "Mims I've been told has been off the charts in the offseason stuff." Joe Douglas on the Rich Eisen show "We got Elijah, we got Garrett, we got Denzel who's been doing great coming back in OTAs in phenomenal shape and working his tale off". 

For those that have not giving up on Mims, sounds like he had a reality check and is working his butt off this offseason.

Would be a shocking but delightful surprise!

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Seeing your peers that play the same position, now commanding $100m deals, should be quite the reality check

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, J_Smith said:

Seeing your peers that play the same position, now commanding $100m deals, should be quite the reality check

Guys that get to this level have to have massive prides/egos.  I get the payday angle but drafting Wilson at #10 had to put some juice into Mims (I hope)...

I am sure Denzel’s agent explained to him that he played the second most valuable position in football, and if he got his act together he would get a contract from some team that would set him, his parents, his children and his grandchildren up for life.  Seems pretty basic actually. Hopefully he is working hard. 

13 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

And I generally agree with that philosophy. Two reasons for an exception here. Zach needs playmakers if he is going to have a chance to succeed and Hall is a special player.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Agreed.  The jets now have 3 players who can score any time they touch the ball from anywhere on the field.   Last time they had that was Toon, walker, McNeil. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think the most significant development to come out of this past weekend (and entire offseason for that matter) is how much competition they're injecting into this roster. Guys who were starters/significant role players (and solid ones at that) last year are going to be competing for their jobs this summer. We turned the RB, TE, WR, DE, and CB positions into ones that are flush with young talent this offseason, with a lot of young guys who are likely going to have to settle for backup roles yet can be starters for many teams around the NFL, which I think is really important.

Good point. The term Depth Chart actually has meaning again. It's been a long time.

• Upvote 1

On 5/1/2022 at 4:50 PM, undertow said:

No I'm not emotional about it like you are I have just watched Mims not be able to run a route for 2 years and using common sense....what do you think is more likely Denzel Mims is the third WR on this team or he will be cut?

Mims is going to get another season to prove hes worth keeping around.  Its not sweat to keep him as the last WR if he shows nothing.

22 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Agreed.  The jets now have 3 players who can score any time they touch the ball from anywhere on the field.   Last time they had that was Toon, walker, McNeil. 

Moss, Coles and Chrebet.

Moss, Coles and Curtis 

35 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Mims is going to get another season to prove hes worth keeping around.  Its not sweat to keep him as the last WR if he shows nothing.

He will get training camp at least but I'm rooting for him....people are very emotional about Denzel Mims. lol

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, undertow said:

He will get training camp at least but I'm rooting for him....people are very emotional about Denzel Mims. lol

Yeah, its like hes a lightning rod for all the hate of Gase, the losing seasons etc all on him.  

And Becton

5 hours ago, undertow said:

Gave up all hope on Mims after his poor showing during the season but  Having read in a different thread a couple of weeks ago on how debilitating food poisoning really is and the length of time to truly recover so rooting real hard for the kid. He’s got all the physical talent to be Al Toon 

Ahmad Sauce Gardner - Garrett Wilson - Jermaine Johnson

Here are some NY Jets draft thoughts now that we know what players have been selected.

Defense

– I think we are going to see some drastic scheme changes.  The DLine will still be the focus, but the additions to the secondary leads me to believe we will see:

* More 1 on 1 coverage
* Less zone concepts
* More blitzing from the secondary, particularly the CBs
* More positional switching

– You don’t spend the amount of free agency $$$ (DJ Reed & Jordan Whitehead) and draft capital (Ahmad Gardner) on players to have them play vanilla Cover 2/Cover 3 all game.  Particularly when their tape showed that they’re physical, can press cover and blitz.

– With the depth we have in the secondary we should see massive “cross training” as we head to camp.  The staff flipped Jason Pinnock to safety last year and in my opinion we should do the same with Bryce Hall.  A secondary that has “positionless” players can confuse QBs and lead to INTs.

– John Franklin-Myers should “float” between DE and DT based on the situation.

Offense

– I believe the drafting of Breece Hall will shift the RB position from a committee approach to a RB1, RB2, RB3 structure.  Hall’s size and college production showed he can be RB1 (20-25 touches) and even though Michael Carter was impressive last year he did get banged up.  Which leads me to believe he would be better suited to a RB2 (10-15 touches) role.  The fight for the RB3 role will be wicked between Tevin Coleman, Ty Johnson, Zonovan Knight, Austin Walter and Lamical Perine.

– With actual TEs on the roster this year I would expect to see some of the “SF Kittle” package incorporated into the passing game.

– I’m glad we didn’t double dip at WR in the draft.  Because I want to see if Denzel Mims has any shot at reaching his draft potential.  I’m not expecting it but if Mims somehow finds his game a WR corps with him being WR5 would be scary.

– Now its all on Zach Wilson to thrive in this offense.  Because Joe Douglas has done for him everything Mike Maccagnan didn’t do for Sam Darnold.  The OLine has been revamped and there is quality and depth at the skill positions.  Wilson now needs to show what he did in the TB game for an entire 17 game schedule.

The post Post Draft Thoughts appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

As much as the Jets improved the team through the draft, they still have the same linebackers and interior DL. If the D can't stop the run, they are going to get exposed to play action passes. I'm very high on Sauce, but DBs typically have a learning curve as rookies. If opposing offenses start off hot, its going to force the Jets to get into shootouts and I don't think the Jets are going to be ready to win shoot outs (yet). The key is going to be for the defense to keep the games close so the Jets offense can rely upon their ground game, which I think can be very good next year. 

Two things:

1) The Jets played more man coverage last year than some folks seem to realize. 

2) I've been researching Micheal Clemons - Dude has legit pass-rushing ability and doesn't seem to have the motor issues that Zuniga has. I have a feeling he could be a hidden gem. 

• Sympathy 1

Good thoughts here @KRL. I spent a ton of time this offseason saying Sauce was going to be the pick at 4. And in return I was told I was crazy and all sorts of other stuff.

This is a great sign (them drafting Sauce, not me being right lol) because it shows they aren't stuck in the past.  The # 1 and # 2 CBs are now # 4 and # 5.  Insane!

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, football guy said:

I think the most significant development to come out of this past weekend (and entire offseason for that matter) is how much competition they're injecting into this roster. Guys who were starters/significant role players (and solid ones at that) last year are going to be competing for their jobs this summer. We turned the RB, TE, WR, DE, and CB positions into ones that are flush with young talent this offseason, with a lot of young guys who are likely going to have to settle for backup roles yet can be starters for many teams around the NFL, which I think is really important.

Agreed. Michael Carter can't sit back and say I am RB # 1.  He has to work and fight for playing time. That is a refreshing change.  (I love MC, just using that position as an example).

• Upvote 1