Do you give a free pass?

1 hour ago, Yeetin It said:

I think this the best draft in recent history. On paper, this team is better on both sides of the ball. Do I think they are going to win the Super Bowl? No. Win the division? No. Get in playoffs on a wild card? I’d say there is an outside shot. 

The question is, do Wilson and Saleh get a free pass this year? Ya the team is better, but also very young. If the offense struggles, do you write off this year as a growth year? Or do you have a set number of “bad” games before both coach and/or QB are officially on the hot seat?

I think the time for excuses is quickly coming to an end (barring all of these picks being busts), but I don’t think I go into the season with a target on any backs unless they somehow start worse than last year. Curious on y’alls thoughts.

We can't look like we did last year, but no expectation of a winning record. Need to clearly look better, and it needs to be obvious a plan is coming together. Can't just go from 4 to 5 win and call it "good enough."

2024 is the year for playoff expectations going forward, but Douglas and Saleh will be on the hot seat if the team isn't winning much more. 

For example, JD had no room to screw this draft up. There are areas where no excuses can be tolerated.  

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Douglas and Saleh are here for the next 10-15 years.  There will be no reason to give them a free pass because is going to be a tough, competitive football team this year that is going to win between 7-9 games.

Maybe more if a few balls bounce our way.

And if we don't win 7 games, are you fine getting rid of both JD and Saleh? 

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

2021 was the free pass. That was the year we were evaluating and breaking in a rookie QB.

It's time to start winning games.

I think you're right. Still a young team with some holes - How many wins? 

My hopes:

1. On offense, I hope we actually get into the game in the first quarter. And I hope ZW stops bounce passing.

2. On defense, I hope we can avoid the multiple game blowouts that happened last year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jet2020 said:

I guess it’s decided that our top 4 picks are all pro bowl players. 

Its Sunday after the draft, I think the enthusiasm about the pick is still new enough to be reasonable. Seasons coming with its maniacal bunk mate  reality! 

14 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

OK, so Johnnysd, a No for the Free Mike White T-shirts. 

I just don't get it. All the continuous sniping and outright hatred. Even the way people approach the support that JD has given Zach. It's not something like "Zach has been given the best chance to succeed of any of the 2021 class QBs" it's always "Zach has no excuses" and "if he fails again he needs to move on" Allen sort of sucked for 2 years but they kept supporting him and now he is elite. Why not be optimistic than just hating on the single most important player on our team. 

Look at the way Chicago and JAX are supporting their QBs. It is pathetic.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yeetin It said:

I think this the best draft in recent history. On paper, this team is better on both sides of the ball. Do I think they are going to win the Super Bowl? No. Win the division? No. Get in playoffs on a wild card? I’d say there is an outside shot. 

The question is, do Wilson and Saleh get a free pass this year? Ya the team is better, but also very young. If the offense struggles, do you write off this year as a growth year? Or do you have a set number of “bad” games before both coach and/or QB are officially on the hot seat?

I think the time for excuses is quickly coming to an end (barring all of these picks being busts), but I don’t think I go into the season with a target on any backs unless they somehow start worse than last year. Curious on y’alls thoughts.

No chance.  Neither get excuses this year.  Both need to show improvement.

Regardless of the team's record, though, it's much more important to me that they at least show their potential to be really good in the coming years. 

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I just don't get it. All the continuous sniping and outright hatred. Even the way people approach the support that JD has given Zach. It's not something like "Zach has been given the best chance to succeed of any of the 2021 class QBs" it's always "Zach has no excuses" and "if he fails again he needs to move on" Allen sort of sucked for 2 years but they kept supporting him and now he is elite. Why not be optimistic than just hating on the single most important player on our team. 

Haven’t you ever had your heart  broken Johnny? 

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

If Wilson sucks again, you replace him with a Vet or draft another QB.  Sometimes you have to admit your mistake and then fix it.

Next year would be the year to do it.  It will be a QB rich draft with as many as 8 to 10 prospects that can be considered as franchise QB's

1. C.J. Stroud

2. Bryce Young

3. Spencer Ratler

4. Jake Haener

Not being talked about but I expect by the time the 2023 draft rolls around at least one of these QB's will be in the conversation for best QB in the draft and the rest will probably be considered first round worthy. 

5. Will Levis

6. Grayson McCall

7. Anthony Richardson

8. Jaren Hall (If the Jets had not already had enough of BYU signal callers by then)

9. Will Levis

10. Henderson Hooker

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Be it as it may, from here on in Zach going to have to earn his stripes. This draft, as I see it, was about helping Zach as much as it was about helping themselves stay employed if Zach can’t cut it. You may not approve of the path  they took to get here. But rest assured we are here. It’s all on Zach to prove he’s the 1.

This draft was about building a winning football team.

These guys aren't nearly as cynical or as sinister as many think they are.

They are building a team to win - not out of fear, not to protect Zach Wilson.  They are doing what they believe is best for this organization to build a roster capable of competing for a championship.  That's the beginning and the end of it.

Mike White is NOT the answer - the Jets know this, the league knows this - he's a third string NFL QB.

Zach Wilson MAY be the answer - he has a lot to prove but has the skill-set and drive to be special. 

If Zach Wilson fails miserably, Mike White will not be the QB.  If they have to pull Wilson for being horrendous - Joe Flacco will play...if Joe Flacco then gets hurt - they will go out and trade for a QB to start.  

The reason Zach Wilson is playing over Mike White and will continue to play over Mike White - is Zach Wilson has a chance to be a championship caliber QB - Mike White does not.  It's not that complicated, cynical or sinister!

All y'all need to get over it.

This is a good, but tough, question.

I tend to want to move on from a coach and QB quickly (just rip off the bandaid), but at the same time I give this roster next to zero chance to win more than 6 or 7 games this year. 

The Jets got better but so did the rest of the AFC.

- Does adding Sauce, Wilson and JJ mean we are going to suddenly be able to beat Josh Allen, Diggs, Von Miller, etc? NOPE.

- Does adding Sauce, Wilson and JJ mean we are going to suddenly be able to beat Waddle, Tyreek Hill, Mostert, etc? DOUBT IT.

- Does adding Sauce, Wilson and JJ mean we are going to hang with Joe Burrow, Deshaun Watson, Kirk Cousins, Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson, etc? I DONT SEE IT.

If Wilson takes a step then I can see wins against Jacksonville, Detroit, Chicago, and Seattle. Then probably 2 or 3 other wins we didn't see coming because that's how the NFL goes. That's 6 or 7 wins.

Problem is, if Wilson DOESN'T take that step, do you trust Saleh to groom another top 10 QB? Its an important question because I have very little faith that Wilson will take that next step. I just dont see "it" with that kid.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I joke about Mike White, but not giving him the start against the Dolphins and having Saleh transparently lie about the reason they were benching him was a terrible look for the administration and where their priorities are. Babying Zach Wilson is not the way to help Zach Wilson. 

Benching white because he sucks is not babying Zach. Teams weren’t even interested in white for a 5th round pick 

Maybe the coaching staff didn’t want another stinker like the 4 int bills game against the dolphins? 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, BurntDice said:

Benching white because he sucks is not babying Zach. Teams weren’t even interested in white for a 5th round pick 

Maybe the coaching staff didn’t want another stinker like the 4 int bills game against the dolphins? 

The Bills were the #1 defense against the pass and the Dolphins were the #25 defense against the pass.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All this from you because they didn’t draft an OT

I was fine until Douglas carved out a moment to issue a special weepy commemoration for Saleh for running young talent out there all last year, with Saleh staring solemnly at the dais like he cured lupus or some sh*t.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Of course they don't get a "free pass"

But ultimately it's a more nuanced answer than yes or no.

This team needs to get better.  Zach Wilson needs to play better.

There were times when both the Jets offense and defense seemed like they didn't belong in the NFL.  That can't happen again, that's on Saleh.  There's enough talent for this team now to look like a competent NFL roster.

Zach Wilson has to play smart, consistent football - he's going to still make a lot of mistakes, going to struggle at times - but we need to see real, sustainable growth with tangible results in his numbers.  I think, if the team is healthy, something around 4,000 yards is what we should be expecting from Zach.

• Upvote 2

No, they don't get a free pass this year. However, only an epic collapse puts either JD or Saleh on a hot seat. As long as the team keeps getting better, young players are developing, they're near or better than 500, and the games we lose are competitive they'll be given more time. Rightfully so in my opinion.

Idzik had the right idea but was a business guy, and couldn't draft. Coffee Guy was handed a clean cap from idzik, but could never build up the roster himself, and made generally head scratching choices. Tanny was pretty good for a short time. JD, with some hiccups, has transformed the roster as we wrap up his 3rd FA/Draft period. We'll see how it goes this year.  

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

This draft was about building a winning football team.

These guys aren't nearly as cynical or as sinister as many think they are.

They are building a team to win - not out of fear, not to protect Zach Wilson.  They are doing what they believe is best for this organization to build a roster capable of competing for a championship.  That's the beginning and the end of it.

Mike White is NOT the answer - the Jets know this, the league knows this - he's a third string NFL QB.

Zach Wilson MAY be the answer - he has a lot to prove but has the skill-set and drive to be special. 

If Zach Wilson fails miserably, Mike White will not be the QB.  If they have to pull Wilson for being horrendous - Joe Flacco will play...if Joe Flacco then gets hurt - they will go out and trade for a QB to start.  

The reason Zach Wilson is playing over Mike White and will continue to play over Mike White - is Zach Wilson has a chance to be a championship caliber QB - Mike White does not.  It's not that complicated, cynical or sinister!

All y'all need to get over it.

All Zach  has to do to is prove it. Saleh and Joe D have officially “ lifted him up!” Let’s see what he does. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

A lot of people here are just miserable, not just because of their jet fanhood but just with their life in general. The draft at least gives the franchise hope. Is it gonna blow up in our face anyways? Is Wilson going to be a bust? Maybe, but I'd like to be hopeful and see how it plays out

5 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Respectfully, garbage time started in the pregame for that one.

Zero chance.

You could say that about the first bills game too. It was 17-3 at halftime and 38-3 going into the 4th. 

The week 18 one was at least competitive. 

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Not sure all the “no excuses now” crowd are haters.  I for one am hopeful about Zach.  But if he is to be the future, he needs to make a big jump this year.  He has been provided weapons and an oline that Darnold never had.  This team will be primed once the rookies settle in this year. If he doesn’t make the big leap, it’s a fair statement to say that next year all options are open at the position.  This is why he gets paid the big dollars as a number 2 pick.  He knows it, we all know it.  Let’s hope he does it.  

• Upvote 2

Yeah, truth there, literally HOF worthy for one game. Makes you think. 
NFL Europe had a quarterback who played for the Scottish Claymores, called Dameyeune Craig (allocated by the Carolina Panthers).

He threw for 611 yards in one game in 1999 - an American Football record. His jersey from that game is in the Hall of Fame.

His NFL career included completing 4 of 8 passes and 5 rushing attempts.

Getting your jersey in the Hall of Fame is perhaps not as big a deal as some would have it.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Nobody gets a pass. We need to see Zach take a step forward. By the end of the year, we have to be able to say “we can win a SB with this guy”. That threshold to me is Jimmy G. Zach’s ceiling is higher, but we need him to get to at least avg.

• Upvote 1