Interesting look behind the curtain from Connor Hughes on how he got burned on Sauce v Ekonwu at 4, Jermaine Johnson, and WR trades.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

A worthwhile listen from Hughes about the dynamics behind the Sauce pick and how he got burned by his Jets sources. Also an interesting nugget that the Giants probably take Sauce instead of Thibodeux if the Jets passed on him. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/cant-wait-a-show-about-the-new-york-jets/id1477129387?i=1000559125274

Give us your source

I didn't think so

You made the sh*t up...not hard really for clicks when people starving for some info so they can make their own sh*t up..

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 5
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

A worthwhile listen from Hughes about the dynamics behind the Sauce pick and how he got burned by his Jets sources. Also an interesting nugget that the Giants probably take Sauce instead of Thibodeux if the Jets passed on him. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/cant-wait-a-show-about-the-new-york-jets/id1477129387?i=1000559125274

Thinking about making up a bunch of stuff myself and then be like "damn sources" when I guess wrong.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Of course they would have. He was arguably the best prospect in the draft.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Hughes was all over the free agency period and is clearly JD's mouth piece.

I didn't listen to the piece yet, but he can't be upset about the misinformation leading up tot the draft.  It was actually brilliant:

-Feed local beat reporter accurate info all offseason

-Everyone believes he's dialed in (he is)

-Give him false draft info to mislead the league 

This was absolutely my thought on Hughes as well.

• Upvote 2

and?  who cares if hughes or any beat reporter gets fed junk information.  even if the info is accurate it's rarely important and doesn't predict the outcome of any game.  this is the way the jets and every other team manages information.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Lol, remember when the Jets passed on Ekwonu at #4? That was awesome! 

I definitely preferred Ekwonu at #4 and thought a CB around #38 would’ve been better. That said, you can’t take care of every single thing you want to in one draft. Jets obviously prized Sauce much, much more than I thought they did.

They got who they wanted. Now I’m ready to be entertained and see what they are cooking up with this guy!

• Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

TLDR

The fact that Hughes kept posting draft picks early on Twitter tells me all I need to know...  #ClickWhore

That was the Athletic's policy. Their folks were breaking most of the picks before they aired based on the calls being made. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Connor Hughes is one of the worst beat writers the Jets have. Seems like you love promoting him tho

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Hughes was all over the free agency period and is clearly JD's mouth piece.

I didn't listen to the piece yet, but he can't be upset about the misinformation leading up tot the draft.  It was actually brilliant:

-Feed local beat reporter accurate info all offseason

-Everyone believes he's dialed in (he is)

-Give him false draft info to mislead the league 

Said the same yesterday. I didn't think Hughes was pissed, he understands how this works. 

So without listening you’re telling me he is as butt hurt when he realized his 35 yr old ass was used to manipulate media narratives? Lol. Man…did he wake up one morning thinking he was Peter King?  

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

Connor Hughes is one of the worst beat writers the Jets have. Seems like you love promoting him tho

He is very self important, but I think Hughes is a solid writer and he is clearly the most linked in of the local journos. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

So without listening you’re telling me he is as butt hurt when he realized his 35 yr old ass was used to manipulate media narratives? Lol. Man…did he wake up one morning thinking he was Peter King?  

I didn't listen to today's pod, but he addressed it Friday and didn't seem offended at all. Just was transparent that he got played - more of rules of roost thing. 

• Upvote 2

In that scenario are both Sauce and KT available to the Giants?  (e.g. if the Jets took Ickey)

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I definitely preferred Ekwonu at #4 and thought a CB around #38 would’ve been better. That said, you can’t take care of every single thing you want to in one draft. Jets obviously prized Sauce much, much more than I thought they did.

They got who they wanted. Now I’m ready to be entertained and see what they are cooking up with this guy!

That only makes sense if you have completely given up on Becton. The Jets clearly haven't. OL depth was certainly needed.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

That only makes sense if you have completely given up on Becton and if you think George Fant will require Left Tackle money in 2023 because he was such a good LT all of 2021. The Jets clearly haven't. OL depth was certainly needed.

Edited.

The Jets have OTs Mekhi Becton and Max Mitchell under contract for 2023. Let’s see if that’s enough.

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

ACTUALLY @Paradis, he was ok with it and understood that it’s part of the job to get played by sources around draft time.

Lol I did say “without listening…”  whatever, I don’t have strong feelings about him. I liked his critical takes in the past, but also don’t love disengaged/alienating the fanbase style of reporting. Say what you want about DJ but he engages the public imo 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

The whole posting the picks before announced on tv, by anyone, is just so dumb. You’re not breaking some huge story, just let it be. 

I used to think that. Since I started flipping between the ESPN/NFL network broadcasts and the Bleacher Report simulcast which uses The Athletic's calls to announce the picks a bit earlier I am not so sure - the BR guys spend the time on actually dissecting each player with more depth and in the later rounds it gives them time to cover every pick whereas the ESPN/NFL Network broadcasts have to pick and choose once the picks start coming in faster. 

It's great to see the players on the broadcast, but I've come to come to appreciate both. 

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Lol I did say “without listening…”  whatever, I don’t have strong feelings about him. I liked his critical takes in the past, but also don’t love disengaged/alienating the fanbase style of reporting. Say what you want about DJ but he engages the public imo 

DJ is low key #1 Jets fan

• Haha 1

Connor a bit defensive about his perception post-getting-it-wrong but is also taking some responsibility. 

Now he knows all those inside scoops at other times in the season weren't for free. He got played.

And now we all know that say ten months out of the year, this dude does have sources, and the remaining two months it becomes Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Cannot wait until we duel to the death on the beaches of Señor Frog’s.

Literally lol’d. 

Listened to this one and the next. Connor seems legitimately excited about the offense Joe Douglas has built here. I am, too. 

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I give anyone who expresses disgust toward Jets fans extra credit when assessing their credibility. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2