We CRUSHED This Draft, but so Did Several Other Teams

JetBlue

I love our draft obviously and my only regret is that we didn't have any more picks because I am confident JD would have continued adding value and quality players. 

Having said that I really think the Packers did an incredible job.  I am on record of debating taking Hall at 38 or Christian Watson if they were both on the board.  We never had to make that decision as the Packers took him along with Romeo Doubs a few rounds later.  The also took Georgia's DT Devonte Wyatt and LB Quay Walker in the first.  They cleaned up on OLineman adding Sean Rhyan, Zach Tom and Rasheed Walker. 

Regarding Watson, I really think that he will be the best WR of this draft in about 3 years.  Especially playing with Aaaron Rodgers.   Watson and Doubs will probably both have very good rookie seasons because they have a hall of fame quarterback throwing to them.  

15 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

The Eagles are probably the most instantly  improved side after the weekend. I think they have a serious chance of winning that division.

AJ Brown, Jordan Davis, Nakobe Dean. If they stay healthy those are guys who will be good right away. Brown obviously. Devonta Smith as a #2 is going to feast. Make or break for Hurts for sure. 

Baltimore and KC are two of the best run organisations in football and the draft showed it again.

The Ravens fleeced the Cardinals for Hollywood Brown. Hamilton, Linderbaum and Jones are likely immediate contributors. They got great value all over the draft. Faalele and Armour-Davis too. It was ridiculous.

The Chiefs got McDuffie, Karlaftis, Skyy Moore all well after I thought they’d go. The latter is better than some of the WR’s who went ahead of him and I bet he’s going to kill it playing with Mahomes. Leo Chanel later was a guy we were constantly mocking to the Jets. Another guy who’ll contribute right away IMO.

The Lions obviously had a great draft too getting the best player and the guy who I felt was the best reciever. I think the board fell nicely for the Giants and as OP mentioned the Packers had a great night too. 

Hilariously the worst draft by some distance was the Patriots. They’re playing their own game. 

Yep.

Chiefs had a better draft than us if you consider the fact that they didn’t have the capital JD did.

Karlaftis is going to be a stud. Wish we had him over JJ.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, slats said:

Yeah, but condense it down to just the AFCe. Jets blew away every other team in the division this weekend. They added legitimate playmakers on both sides of the ball. 

Agreed totally. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The most important thing, we destroyed the AFC east in this draft class.  We had all the resources yes but we made excellent moves and picks and the HUGE gap between us and the other teams is at least closed to some extent now.

I was just about to post something similar.  The only teams we have to worry about right now is the AFC east...as far as I'm concerned, we crushed them.

• Upvote 1

Some teams had a great drafts. I think the Jets pulled ahead of the Pats in overall talent and are just behind the Fins (we closed the gap and I wouldn't argue if someone said we have more talent than the Fins). The Bills are still the clear favorite in the AFCE.

Of the top teams, I think the Chiefs did an outstanding job. The Bengals and Bills held fort. I think the Ravens will make noise again - they had a great draft. Possibly the best draft of all teams.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

The Eagles are probably the most instantly  improved side after the weekend. I think they have a serious chance of winning that division.

AJ Brown, Jordan Davis, Nakobe Dean. If they stay healthy those are guys who will be good right away. Brown obviously. Devonta Smith as a #2 is going to feast. Make or break for Hurts for sure. 

Baltimore and KC are two of the best run organisations in football and the draft showed it again.

The Ravens fleeced the Cardinals for Hollywood Brown. Hamilton, Linderbaum and Jones are likely immediate contributors. They got great value all over the draft. Faalele and Armour-Davis too. It was ridiculous.

The Chiefs got McDuffie, Karlaftis, Skyy Moore all well after I thought they’d go. The latter is better than some of the WR’s who went ahead of him and I bet he’s going to kill it playing with Mahomes. Leo Chanel later was a guy we were constantly mocking to the Jets. Another guy who’ll contribute right away IMO.

The Lions obviously had a great draft too getting the best player and the guy who I felt was the best reciever. I think the board fell nicely for the Giants and as OP mentioned the Packers had a great night too. 

Hilariously the worst draft by some distance was the Patriots. They’re playing their own game. 

I like what the eagles did but is Nakobe dean even going to play next year? 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I love our draft obviously and my only regret is that we didn't have any more picks because I am confident JD would have continued adding value and quality players. 

Having said that I really think the Packers did an incredible job.  I am on record of debating taking Hall at 38 or Christian Watson if they were both on the board.  We never had to make that decision as the Packers took him along with Romeo Doubs a few rounds later.  The also took Georgia's DT Devonte Wyatt and LB Quay Walker in the first.  They cleaned up on OLineman adding Sean Rhyan, Zach Tom and Rasheed Walker. 

Regarding Watson, I really think that he will be the best WR of this draft in about 3 years.  Especially playing with Aaaron Rodgers.   Watson and Doubs will probably both have very good rookie seasons because they have a hall of fame quarterback throwing to them.  

Will you feel better if I tell you Watson is more likely to be out of the league than he is to be the best in class?

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

The Eagles did have a good draft, but as long as Jalen Hurts is the QB, they have no shot.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I like what the eagles did but is Nakobe dean even going to play next year? 

Said he’ll be at mini-camp and that he’s 100%.

Really not sure what was going on with that injury. There must be something that spooked everyone but he’s adamant that he’s fine.

• Upvote 1

Ravens are the only other team to have as good as a DRAFT as we did.  Texans was up there and Lions too.  But not as good as the Ravens and Jets.Those are Tier 1 and Tier 2 great drafts.  A lot of very good Tier 3 teams.   But man the PATS draft was awful as usual.  Speaks volumes to the coaching system and Brady.  Because their last 5-6 drafts have been awful

52 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I don't understand how this entire board rips Hamilton for months then calls the Ravens geniuses for drafting him? 

You all ripped him like he was already a Jet.  It was merciless and brutal. 

I think they panicked after getting jumped for Jordan Davis. I feel there was a clear drop in tier after Davis was taken. 

Great move by the Eagles, though. They also made the WR trade I wanted to make and I think got a comparable center to Linderbaum a round later than the Ravens. 

1605485131_ScreenShot2022-05-01at5_06_26PM.thumb.png.0a7d6dc9ea988b4c8ad456afd8c79992.png

517786652_ScreenShot2022-05-01at5_06_39PM.thumb.png.682f36c38744f3f90b757e7c5c0aa962.png

Interesting that JD worked for the Ravens and the Eagles and all three are considered to have the top 3 drafts in several rankings. That Ozzie Newsome effect is strong.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Will you feel better if I tell you Watson is more likely to be out of the league than he is to be the best in class?

You know how quick Rogers is to get pissed at a WR for not being where there supposed to or DROPPING a ball they shouldn’t. Bad route running and seemingly underdeveloped at then position is real working against him. 

odds are more likely that Watson - Stephen Hill’s it that he does DaVante Adam’s it. 

also I was sooooo happy GB took him before we could even sweat it out. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

Yeah, but condense it down to just the AFCe. Jets blew away every other team in the division this weekend. They added legitimate playmakers on both sides of the ball. 

Miami didn't have enough picks

New England had a Maccagnan-esque draft

The Bills invested their picks into a punter so that they didn't keep averaging -7 yards a punt

Jets blew the first round out of the waters, got a good RB and TE with day 2 and had really good day 3 picks

Yes, I agree with this

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

I hated their first round. An overrated, oversized safety, and an undersized C. I would’ve hated it if the Jets took either player in the first. 

And they didn't grab a WR ANYWHERE in the draft?  Who is Jackson going to throw to?🤔

4 hours ago, slats said:

The Jets should have with the capital they had. But if your calling the bills draft bad or blown away you may be in for a bad wake up.

3 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I don't understand how this entire board rips Hamilton for months then calls the Ravens geniuses for drafting him? 

Kid's going to shut up everyone who ripped him. His 40 is faster than Ed Reeds' (Meaning we're going see how useless that time is when a safety has instincts and talent) I wanted him, but he didn't fit our immediate needs like the picks we took. 

2 hours ago, section314 said:

The Eagles did have a good draft, but as long as Jalen Hurts is the QB, they have no shot.

Interesting thought. I've somewhat thought the same think about them. We'll see what happens. They have some really nice pieces on their team, but I wonder if they are going to never do much in the playoffs b/c their QB. 

I like linderbaum but felt whoever took hamilton will just get a decent safety but no great difference maker.  Ojabo is a big chance.  They took no wrs on a team that already had no wrs and traded the one guy they had.

3 hours ago, slats said:

I hated their first round. An overrated, oversized safety, and an undersized C. I would’ve hated it if the Jets took either player in the first. 

This

I was more on board with Hamilton than most 2-3 months ago, but when you deliver a lackluster (or even downright terrible) combine and pro-day at probably the least important position on defense…that’s a red flag any way you want to slice it.

I never bought into the “generational” bullsh*t. I said it before, he’s a suped up Justin Simmons. He’ll be a good player, possibly make a few pro-bowls…and who cares? I could say the same thing for Jamal and I was thrilled when we shipped his ass out of town, especially for the downright stupid price that Seattle was willing to pay.

Linderbaum is a byproduct of Jets fans obsession with finding the next Mawae/Mangold. And the extremely subpar measurables make it even more silly. If he was on the board at #38, I wouldn’t have hated it. At least he’s an ideal scheme fit and I think he’ll be a solid player for the bulk of a decade. But people acting like he’s some guaranteed all-pro are goofy. And I guarantee these are the same people who were head over heels for the Garrett Bradbury’s and Billy Price’s over the last 5 years.

Never have I seen a fanbase so batsh*t obsessed with keeping a pipeline of all-pro interior OL.

We already spent two Top 15 picks on Becton and AVT, are now paying Tomlinson an average of $13 million a year, and previously dished out sizable contracts to Fant and McGovern.

Anyone claiming that Douglas hasn’t paid AMPLE attention to the OL is a smoothbrain who hasn’t been paying attention.

• Upvote 2

Jets taking Hamilton in the top 10 given the needs they had:  Bad.

But to the Ravens, where they took him?  Very good pick and fit.  

• Like 1