Garrett Wilson

I think Wilson is the key guy in this draft. An impact receiver is the team’s biggest need and if he’s a slow developer or doesn’t have it or injury prone it’s steps back for the franchise. They need him to be able to step in right away. 

• Upvote 3

Found this cool article about him. https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2020/11/118254/butler-s-trey-burke-inside-garrett-wilson-s-once-promising-basketball-career-that-aided-his-wide-receiver

Omar Lowery (Butler HC) wrote the article and talked about how he tried to recruit Wilson in Basketball. He was at a game to recruit DJ Thorpe and was like who is this other guy (ie Garrett Wilson). Saw him dunk it on two guys.

Here's a basketball mix tape of him in HS from the article I linked above. FYI - Lake Travis and Westlake are big time programs. So, he's not playing with scrubs. I live in central Texas. Those two school are like mini colleges.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

I actually think Moore is gonna be a better pro. I do think tho that Wilson is gonna have games where he’s just unstoppable. There’s just gonna be more fluctuation in his game.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

He is a really good receiver, really fast, and a good route runner. So are other receivers. A couple things that stand out to me:

1. His ability to misdirect defenders on a dime is really impressive. "Wilson strings together body jukes, head gestures, and physical hands to create separation." (Jason Dirienzo, Scouting Report on Wilson after High School).

2. He has really good body control when he is contorted in an awkward position and when he goes up or backwards for a ball. 

3. "A trait that really sets him apart from other receivers in the 2019 [High School] recruiting class is his mental processing and spatial awareness. From the time of the snap, Wilson begins to blueprint his path starting with neutralizing the leverage of the defender with effective use of stemming and attacking the weak hip of the defensive back." (Dirienzo).

• Upvote 4

Wilson has upside which is exciting.  He can beat man coverage - which hopefully can be exploited as the Y or slot early.  

Once he can beat press man consistently he may be able to play the X as well in his second or third season (he played a lot of X in college and press man was the only thing that slowed him).  In our division he’ll see a lot of press man on the outside.  

Right now, Elijah (and Davis) might be our best weapons currently against press man.  It’ll be interesting in training camp to watch the alignments.  I’m sure they’ll give him reps at the X to see how far along he is.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I actually think Moore is gonna be a better pro. I do think tho that Wilson is gonna have games where he’s just unstoppable. There’s just gonna be more fluctuation in his game.

Moore is awesome. 

What I worry about with Moore is durability. But if he's healthy, the sky is the limit. 

I do think Wilson is a slightly better all around prospect coming out, mainly because of the ability to go up and get the ball (great verticals, long arms, great body control), but both are really talented. 

I like that he and Moore can play off each other and both are inside/out guys. And that he can add an explosive element.

Important to keep expectations in check. Obviously OSU is excellent but he never led them in receiving for a season.

He’s coming to a nice setup in that he can earn any role in the team, no set in stone primary passing game option, but if he’s a little slow to adjust and is just WR3 behind Moore and Davis with Berrios getting some snaps, 12 personnel with Uzomah and Conklin pushing him off the field, that’s okay.

Hopefully he pushes for more snaps, and I think he will, but I think it’s a nice blend of big opportunity and low pressure. And he’ll add a dynamic presence when on the field.

Both mean and median first round WR rookie year receiving yards the last 10ish years have been in the 600’s. I saw a projection of around 800 yards and 5 TD’s, which I’d absolutely take. Moore led the team with 538 last year and Davis, Cole, Crowder, and Berrios all in the 400’s - obviously injuries a factor in both directions.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, derp said:

Important to keep expectations in check. Obviously OSU is excellent but he never led them in receiving for a season.

That's because he was their 3rd option more or less - but that doesn't have a lot to do with how his game translates to this level. 

Not being the main option was more about lack of seniority in relation to Olave

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Maynard-696x392.jpeg

Retired as pro football's all-time leader in receptions and yards receiving

Maynard was awesome. Yes. Solid contribution.

He didn't bend and contort like the human Gumby Cat-Man we just drafted.

• Upvote 1

Fav pick and the pick I wanted in this draft. We haven’t had a playmaker of this caliber since....forever

Home run speed, shiftiness, great hands, amazing catch radius for his size, clean route runner

gives me Prime OBJ Vibes(hopefully minus the attitude of course) 

Him, Moore and Hall in the same offense should be fun for Lafleur to cook up some stuff....we’re gonna put some pressure on some defenses this year!

• Upvote 1

I’m excited about the players we drafted. I just don’t want Corey as our #1. He’s a solid #2 and that’s about it. Having him as your #1 just weakens your offense that much. 

13 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

I’m excited about the players we drafted. I just don’t want Corey as our #1. He’s a solid #2 and that’s about it. Having him as your #1 just weakens your offense that much. 

Corey is ideally an excellent number 3 after we get Wilson going a little bit

I know that highlight videos often make players seem better than they really are.  I’ll say this for sure though - the highlight videos for the players we drafted this year are a whole other level than the ones for other players we’ve drafted in recent years.

Wilson showed great speed, hands, moves and balance in these clips - and even a mean stiff-arm.  His catches, even the amazing ones, seem effortless.  He’s not a huge guy, but he very rarely goes down on first contact.

The more you see about our new Jets, the better it gets.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

3. "A trait that really sets him apart from other receivers in the 2019 [High School] recruiting class is his mental processing and spatial awareness. From the time of the snap, Wilson begins to blueprint his path starting with neutralizing the leverage of the defender with effective use of stemming and attacking the weak hip of the defensive back." (Dirienzo).

Figure It Out What GIF

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

What a disappointment it would have been if deebo samuel was on this team instead of garrett wilson.

This kid is going to be all world.  Is it September yet?

Pretty please, with sugar on top. Shut the **** up.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3