Garrett Wilson

9 hours ago, slimjasi said:

My favorite pick of the draft. 

I believe Atlanta made a mistake passing on this kid. 

Pretty shocking to me that you would draft a WR that high that refused to run.  He's certainly didn't do it because he's too fast.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I think Wilson is the key guy in this draft. An impact receiver is the team’s biggest need and if he’s a slow developer or doesn’t have it or injury prone it’s steps back for the franchise. They need him to be able to step in right away. 

Don't underestimate the impact Carter and Hall will have on defenses . If we establish a top running game this team is going to be hard to stop if Zach plays up to his potential. 

• Upvote 1

I’m on record for wanting Jameson Williams heading into the draft, thinking he should be the pick at 10, and believing he will be a better pro than Garrett Wilson.

That said, I am really hoping Garrett Wilson can be that home run hitter receiver this offense needs.  He’s talented and fast, let’s hope he can come in and make an impact right away.  I am glad we continue to add speed, speed, and more spreed to both offense and defense.

23 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

His transition from his cuts or when he catches to full speed is pretty impressive.

He has such easy enviable athleticism.  He is going to be open a lot.  With wilson and the real TEs they can run lots of quick passes and string together first downs.  Zach should focus on simply being an efficient qb this year, he has enough help for the offense to succeed without having to do it himself.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, slimjasi said:

That's because he was their 3rd option more or less - but that doesn't have a lot to do with how his game translates to this level. 

Not being the main option was more about lack of seniority in relation to Olave

That would make a lot more sense if the leading receiver this past year wasn’t a sophomore.

• Post of the Week 1

11 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The New York Jets have never had a player like this on their roster. Ever.

With the TEs and Corey Davis providing "top cover" and Hall and Brax also threatening the underneath stuff, Wilson and Moore are going to be legitimately f*cking up some Defensive Backfields. Like, legit PTSD sh*t. Someone in YT comments put it best, Wilson and Moore will be putting DBs in a blender.

God damn,  I'm excited to see this offense play this year. 

The no-look juke on the guy upfield of him on the play that starts @2:41 is just mind-boggling. I don't know if I've ever seen someone do that before. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

I’m excited for Wilson, but I’m not ready to say he’s the best WR the Jets ever drafted (if that is what the original poster meant). Toon was a better prospect and Santana was a game breaker coming out of Miami.

Different. Unique. Who knows what he'll be. 

Moss? LOL. Small fast guys are Dime a dozen now. Wilson seems unique.

11 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Moore is awesome. 

What I worry about with Moore is durability. But if he's healthy, the sky is the limit. 

I do think Wilson is a slightly better all around prospect coming out, mainly because of the ability to go up and get the ball (great verticals, long arms, great body control), but both are really talented. 

I’m always gonna lean towards analytic breakdowns when I think of player potential. Moore’s profile put him in high end company while there’s more variance for Wilson. 

Where I think I really like Moore > Wilson is in his elite talent. Moore is an ELITE route runner. Wilson is not truly elite anywhere just really good at almost everything. 

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

He moves, bends,  and reacts like a ******* Cat. It's nuts. 

funny cat GIF

It’s actually a good analogy. Sometimes he looks like he’s lost control with the moves he makes, only to find his balance and land on his feet. 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, kdels62 said:

I’m always gonna lean towards analytic breakdowns when I think of player potential. Moore’s profile put him in high end company while there’s more variance for Wilson. 

Where I think I really like Moore > Wilson is in his elite talent. Moore is an ELITE route runner. Wilson is not truly elite anywhere just really good at almost everything. 

Wilson’s pure athleticism and elusiveness is elite.  His route running is not as refined as moore’s but he creates space so naturally he will be fine as he becomes a better wr.  Having 2 of these guys along with breece should really create some mismatches, and with TEs that can catch, i would favor a shorter passing attack early on to get Zach into rhythm and move the chains.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

That would make a lot more sense if the leading receiver this past year wasn’t a sophomore.

smith njigba is going to be a top 10 pick next year if he chooses to come out.  The kid is the best WR on that team probably, but also came on late with some ridiculous performances to end up leading the team. 

Also. he had 30 catches for 587 yds and 4 tds in two games that GW didnt play in (nebraska and utah), Thats an insane chunk. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

True, but I do think Wilson possesses traits that give him the potential to become an elite route runner, or at least a great one. Understanding leverage, attacking the DBs blind spot consistently, start/stop ability, body control. The physical and mental tools all seem to be there, he just sometimes looks like he gets out over his skis a little bit. Curious as to your thoughts on it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I honestly can’t wait to see Hall play, kid looks electric. Carter is going to be an amazing counter punch, then we got couple guys to run and arounds as well. LaFleur can finally showcase his offense. 

I was down on Lafleur to start the season. Thought hiring someone so green was a mistake. But he showed a lot towards the end of the season. Esp when he went up to the booth... 

I think he’s capable of designing an offense that gives defenses fits, now he really has the pieces to do so 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

smith njigba is going to be a top 10 pick next year if he chooses to come out.  The kid is the best WR on that team probably, but also came on late with some ridiculous performances to end up leading the team. 

Also. he had 30 catches for 587 yds and 4 tds in two games that GW didnt play in (nebraska and utah), Thats an insane chunk. 

I was responding to the idea that Wilson didn’t lead the team in receiving in college because of Olave’s seniority.

That wasn’t the reason this year. Maybe the sit out, can’t tell how those games would’ve gone. But Smith-Njigba is very good.

Obviously Wilson is very talented, and the Ohio State WR room was loaded. I just don’t think it’s fair to expect him to come in and be the guy at the NFL level when he didn’t even have to do that in college.

Let him be part of the room, grow, and develop at his pace, whatever it is. If he steps into that role, great. But let’s not set him up to disappoint. He’ll add something even if he’s a pretty average first round rookie receiver. Average first round rookie receiver yardage would’ve led the team last year.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

True, but I do think Wilson possesses traits that give him the potential to become an elite route runner, or at least a great one. Understanding leverage, attacking the DBs blind spot consistently, start/stop ability, body control. The physical and mental tools all seem to be there, he just sometimes looks like he gets out over his skis a little bit. Curious as to your thoughts on it.

I don’t think (especially in the short term) that anyone can be something they haven’t been yet. Moore was an elite route runner in college, that’s why I think he’ll be one in the pros. Wilson shows a great understanding of space but space isn’t the same in the NFL as it is in college, it’s a variable that Wilson can’t control. If you check his athletic testing it is elite for a college WR but not an NFL receiver. So I settle on this idea that Wilson’s ability to win is not entirely transferable to the NFL. However, his production and efficiency has room to diminish and he’ll still be very good. 

His route running will probably improve but how much of his success in college was from his frantic style of route running that only works against lesser athletes. How many tackles can you expect a sub 190 lbs WR to break at the NFL level? 

He was 100% the right choice at 10 (since London was gone) but He would’ve been a 2nd rounder if he came out last year and Elijah Moore would’ve been the first WR off the board this year. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

I was down on Lafleur to start the season. Thought hiring someone so green was a mistake. But he showed a lot towards the end of the season. Esp when he went up to the booth... 

I think he’s capable of designing an offense that gives defenses fits, now he really has the pieces to do so 

Agreed he has the pieces now, should be fun. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, maury77 said:

I’m excited for Wilson, but I’m not ready to say he’s the best WR the Jets ever drafted (if that is what the original poster meant). Toon was a better prospect and Santana was a game breaker coming out of Miami.

I was 12 when Santana Moss was traded. Why did the Jets trade him? 

2 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I was 12 when Santana Moss was traded. Why did the Jets trade him? 

Coles was the better fit for Chad’s arm and was already signed to a friendlier deal. 

I think Chad lobbied for the move.  He did name his kid after Lav.

4 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Wilson is better with contested catches than Moore. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, maury77 said:

Santana Moss combine results: 

5'10 184, 4.31 40 yard dash, 42 inch vertical, 16 overall pick

Garrett Wilson combine results 

6'0 183, 4.38 40 yard dash, 36 inch vertical, 10 overall pick 

the Original poster says they never had a player like Wilson before but he's kind of Santana Moss 2.0 

which as most old folks will remember had an exciting few years here (1100 yards and 10 TD in 2003) before getting traded for Coles and playing 10 more seasons in Washington, making All-Pro in 2005 (almost 1500 rec yards), the year he left. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Don't underestimate the impact Carter and Hall will have on defenses . If we establish a top running game this team is going to be hard to stop if Zach plays up to his potential. 

Breece Hall is the single most scariest weapon on the Jets.  He can make explosive plays by ground or air.  And if he escapes thru the defense's leverage...he's going to the House with it.  Opposing DCs will have to make special prepared game plans due to his presence.  And that will make play action more effective.  Allowing especially Wilson and Moore opportunities for big plays downfield.  And of course for the rest of the receiving weapons too.  

I like Wilson...but as a rookie he may take a while...just as Moore did last year...to make a full impact that he's capable of.  He's the most complete receiver on the team.  He will feast in this offense.  And Breece...because he will make a bigger impact sooner...will help unlock Wilson...because the defense will be more focused on containing Hall. 

This is why I coveted Hall in this draft...as a 2nd round pick.  IMO...I think JD moved up and snagged him...pretty much for reasons I just stated.

Hall is not your 4-5th round RB to fill out the unit.   Breece is special...as in all pro potential. 

Also...of course combining with Carter should result in giving Jets a dominant run attack behind a fortified line with the additions of Becton and Tomlinson.  Thus taking a lot of pressure off of ZW.  You can't have a full blown pass rush on a QB unless you have the run attack in check..With Breece Hall...that changes everything on how the defense will play.  Jets running game will dictate the game by forcing opposing defense to put more run personnel on the field to counter the run.  And that will make play action way more effective.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1