Garrett Wilson

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

I’m posting this again because I want everyone to see it:

0A8C0179-F3CE-4027-9490-5889542FC0B4.jpeg

Email this...if you know how...to the Gods 'O Canton.  So that they may bless Breece   with a special dispensation...to prevent career killing injuries.  And allow us Jets fans to have the privilege to enjoy many years of exciting big plays...as those fortunate fans did  with Peterson. 

• Upvote 1

Would have preferred a tall red zone target, but if this guy does the YAC to get there who am I to argue lol... Also just to add why I don't hate this pick is our new TE group. I believe they will be heavily involved in red zone targets....

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

I am very excited/optimistic to see an offense with what looks like a solid O-Line, and Wilson/Moore/Davis/Berrios/Mims at WR and Ruckert (eventually) at TE#1.  I'm glad we have the two new FA TE's in the short-term as well.  And I'm REALLY very happy to have Hall to pair with Carter.

Wilson (@10) and Hall (in the 2nd) were my two most consistent desires throughout the leadup to this draft, it feels so odd (and amazing) to have landed them both.  And Ruckert to boot (I would have also been happy with Mitchell from VATech, but Ruckert was preferred, just didn't think he'd be there still when we picked around his value-spot).

For the first time in a long time, I think we have talent at the offensive skill positions that rises above "near the worst" for a change.  

This is the kind of talent that should at the least be in the middle of the pack of NFL Offenses, production wise.  

If coached right.

And if the QB isn't poop.

So here is hoping Zach really makes a huge leap in year two.  Because he has no talent-deficiency reasons/excuses now to play poorly.

A draft designed to optimize Zach's development plus a top tier edge for good measure. Truly epic and beautifully managed.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Santana Moss combine results: 

5'10 184, 4.31 40 yard dash, 42 inch vertical, 16 overall pick

Garrett Wilson combine results 

6'0 183, 4.38 40 yard dash, 36 inch vertical, 10 overall pick 

the Original poster says they never had a player like Wilson before but he's kind of Santana Moss 2.0 

which as most old folks will remember had an exciting few years here (1100 yards and 10 TD in 2003) before getting traded for Coles and playing 10 more seasons in Washington, making All-Pro in 2005 (almost 1500 rec yards), the year he left. 

Moss was basically Tyreek Hill at the U

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Would have preferred a tall red zone target, but if this guy does the YAC to get there who am I to argue lol... Also just to add why I don't hate this pick is our new TE group. I believe they will be heavily involved in red zone targets....

Also if I recall correctly, Zach was pretty good in the redzone last year.  Hoping that Wilson and Moore can get constant separation so Zach can get the ball out relatively quick.  The days of our QBs sitting and waiting to throw to Ryan Griffin are over.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Santana Moss combine results: 

5'10 184, 4.31 40 yard dash, 42 inch vertical, 16 overall pick

Garrett Wilson combine results 

6'0 183, 4.38 40 yard dash, 36 inch vertical, 10 overall pick 

the Original poster says they never had a player like Wilson before but he's kind of Santana Moss 2.0 

which as most old folks will remember had an exciting few years here (1100 yards and 10 TD in 2003) before getting traded for Coles and playing 10 more seasons in Washington, making All-Pro in 2005 (almost 1500 rec yards), the year he left. 

Different players. 

I loved moss and was really pissed when we moved him, but Wilson is two inches taller and plays a lot longer than Moss did because of his longer arms. 

I think Wilson has more potential to be a true X than moss did coming out - moss was possibly more explosive. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Different players. 

I loved moss and was really pissed when we moved him, but Wilson is two inches taller and plays a lot longer than Moss did because of his longer arms. 

I think Wilson has more potential to be a true X than moss did coming out - moss was possibly more explosive. 

Wilson has more height and wingspan 

Santana moss verticaled 42 though (!) 

People are sour on Moss for whatever reason but he was explosive and other teams had to account for him 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, derp said:

I was responding to the idea that Wilson didn’t lead the team in receiving in college because of Olave’s seniority.

That wasn’t the reason this year. Maybe the sit out, can’t tell how those games would’ve gone. But Smith-Njigba is very good.

Obviously Wilson is very talented, and the Ohio State WR room was loaded. I just don’t think it’s fair to expect him to come in and be the guy at the NFL level when he didn’t even have to do that in college.

Let him be part of the room, grow, and develop at his pace, whatever it is. If he steps into that role, great. But let’s not set him up to disappoint. He’ll add something even if he’s a pretty average first round rookie receiver. Average first round rookie receiver yardage would’ve led the team last year.

I mean Smith-Ndigba caught for 347 yards in one of the games Wilson sat... At same time, Wilson scored more TDs.

Of course JSN is absolutely ridiculous (really pops when you watch their film), but Wilson increased his catches and yards materially each year (after contributing well as a Freshman) and he played a lot in the positions we want him to occupy on the field for us. 

28 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

I mean Smith-Ndigba caught for 347 yards in one of the games Wilson sat... At same time, Wilson scored more TDs.

Of course JSN is absolutely ridiculous (really pops when you watch their film), but Wilson increased his catches and yards materially each year (after contributing well as a Freshman) and he played a lot in the positions we want him to occupy on the field for us. 

Just saying I think expectations need to be kept in check. He’s clearly talented and I think it’s important he’s just viewed as a valuable piece of the puzzle and any serious production this year is a bonus.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, derp said:

Just saying I think expectations need to be kept in check. He’s clearly talented and I think it’s important he’s just viewed as a valuable piece of the puzzle and any serious production this year is a bonus.

Agree. No one is more optimistic than me, but these guys have to produce on the field before we count them as weapons

23 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The New York Jets have never had a player like this on their roster. Ever.

With the TEs and Corey Davis providing "top cover" and Hall and Brax also threatening the underneath stuff, Wilson and Moore are going to be legitimately f*cking up some Defensive Backfields. Like, legit PTSD sh*t. Someone in YT comments put it best, Wilson and Moore will be putting DBs in a blender.

God damn,  I'm excited to see this offense play this year. 

I'm excited but yes they did have  WRs this exciting AL Toon and Wesley walker to bad it took this long to draft a new set.  Maybe you weren't around to see that. 

Just now, DetroitRed said:

No one is more optimistic than me, but these guys have to produce on the field before we count them as weapons

Posted a couple times but over the last decade or so, both mean and median first round rookie WR yardage are in the 600’s. Now nobody on last year’s team even got there, and I think there’s been a little uptick recently, but I think better to be measured with expectations and pleasantly surprised if he’s a 1000 yard guy off the back.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
35 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I haven’t followed the camp tweets as closely as everyone else, but it seems like Wilson is having a quiet camp. Can anyone who knows more add some insight? Would love to hear more about his performance. 

What's a "quiet camp"?  He has dropped some passes in practices.  Like all of the receivers have.  He's also flashed his athletic skills, been working with the first team, learning, getting better, etc. etc. et al.  Not sure what else we would have wanted so far.  Let's see what happens when the games start.

Who gave him that pearl neckless on draft night? Talk about hazing!!!

Love the way he uses his hands to catch passes.....rarely lets the ball into his pads. 

So right now, Mike White, Garrett, Breece, Mims, and Ruckert are all listed as backups. So here's the setting against NE: Jets up by 24 points going into the 4th qtr and pull their starters and put in their backups: White, Garrett, Mims, Breece and Ruckert come into the game....and put up another 24 points in 12 minutes! 

At least our preseason games will be fun to watch with as much talent on the bench as the starting lineup. Feels real good for a change....

46 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I haven’t followed the camp tweets as closely as everyone else, but it seems like Wilson is having a quiet camp. Can anyone who knows more add some insight? Would love to hear more about his performance. 

I think he's made a few plays.  Nothing that screams top-10 pick though.

Supposedly had an ugly drop yesterday in a drill with no defenders.

On 5/1/2022 at 9:54 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

The New York Jets have never had a player like this on their roster. Ever.

With the TEs and Corey Davis providing "top cover" and Hall and Brax also threatening the underneath stuff, Wilson and Moore are going to be legitimately f*cking up some Defensive Backfields. Like, legit PTSD sh*t. Someone in YT comments put it best, Wilson and Moore will be putting DBs in a blender.

God damn,  I'm excited to see this offense play this year. 

I hope all of this is true.  So very much I hope.  +1

• Sympathy 1

57 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

What's a "quiet camp"?  He has dropped some passes in practices.  Like all of the receivers have.  He's also flashed his athletic skills, been working with the first team, learning, getting better, etc. etc. et al.  Not sure what else we would have wanted so far.  Let's see what happens when the games start.

Wasn’t a dig at him. Feel like we’ve heard more about Breece and Elijah who are having good camps. Looking forward to seeing Garrett play live.