@PFF_George: Jets had a below average draft

Bronx

On 5/3/2022 at 9:48 AM, slats said:

Jet fans love their OL, and they love AVT, but that was not a good trade. I’m okay with anything that turns okay in the end but, he’s right, that was bad process there. 

No he is not. They gave up the equivalent of a 13 to draft AVT at 14 and get much needed help at guard to help protect your rookie QB. That and AVT is very good. Sometimes instead of purely looking at spread sheets some context needs to be applied here. This team desperately needed help at guard and trading up for that help is what a good GM needs to do sometimes. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/3/2022 at 2:44 PM, slats said:

I don’t want to harp on it, because I’m perfectly content as long as it works out (and it seems to be). But taking a guard in the top half of the first round is already a poor value decision, trading two third round picks to get there in the first place makes it significantly worse. It’s in the same vein as trading up for a RB in the second, it’s all to help the young QB, but the RB is much more help for much less. Especially if Hall is the stud his tape and testing suggest he will be. Starting caliber guards can be had in free agency. We got a good one this year. 

Yeah and how much did they have to pay that starting caliber guard?

11 hours ago, Facts said:

^^ This is a really well thought out post.

You mentioned "moving the needle" and I agree that top 10 draft picks HAVE to move the needle. They NEED to have glaring impacts on games.

That's why I really hated the Sauce pick. I think he will be a good player, but does he move the needle? Does he make a glaring impact on wins & losses? I really do NOT think so.

Think about the best CB's in the league. Do any of them change games? Off the top of my head...

Jaire Alexander - Missed 12 games last year and the Packers went 11-3 without him.

Xavien Howard - Does anyone think he's changing games in Miami?

Marshon Lattimore - Saints lose Brees and no-one hears about Lattimore anymore. He doesn't move the needle as far as turning L's into W's.

I dont even blame the CB. The NFL is just super different now than it was in the mid 2000's when Revis dominated. 

A lot of people forget that it's been over a decade since Revis' prime. 

The NFL has moved the rules to be so offense focused that great CB's dont have the same impact that they once did. 

So thats where I am with it -Sauce will be good. We will be happy to have him. He will make plays. I may even get his jersey.

But will he be a game-changing pick which is what you want as a Top 10 pick?

I dont see it.

Top CB's absolutely do matter. It's a premium position. The jets gave up 500 points last year and much of that was because of a bad secondary. It was a fine pick at 4 especially considering their picks at 10 and 26. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Top CB's absolutely do matter. It's a premium position. The jets gave up 500 points last year and much of that was because of a bad secondary. It was a fine pick at 4 especially considering their picks at 10 and 26. 

I would agree with you a decade ago.

10 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

^^ it’s all in the name. 

5 minutes ago, Facts said:

I would agree with you a decade ago.

All the analytics guys will say that CB is now a premium position (along with Tackles/Edge/WR and obviously QB). No idea why you think it stopped being a premium position. 

The whole "decade ago" shtick is reserved for idiots that draft RBs or Safeties early. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Morrissey said:

There is a universe of "know it alls" in the analytics world that absolutely hate trading up and think you should ALWAYS be trading down. 

They look at players as  numbers (not talent) and therefore the more players you draft, technically you increase your chances of hitting on 1. People act as if Mims busting was a big miss by JD, but the reality is that is far more common than finding Davante Adams or DK Metcalf. PFF bros think that if you simply accumulate picks and just draft more players, you end up taking 2 WRs (instead of 1) and therefore increase your chances of 1 of them hitting. 

But these guys take it way too far and don't factor in team needs and the fact that the Jets increased their chances of succeeding in this draft by taking 4 1st round talents. Not to mention, the Jets VASTLY increase their chances of succeeding in this draft when they got premium picks for Adams/Darnold. 

On 5/5/2022 at 10:40 AM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

All the analytics guys will say that CB is now a premium position (along with Tackles/Edge/WR and obviously QB). No idea why you think it stopped being a premium position. 

The whole "decade ago" shtick is reserved for idiots that draft RBs or Safeties early. 

Simple - The NFL has changed rules to favor the offense. The way to crush an offense now is PRESSURE. 

Why do you think top DE’s make so much more than top CB’s? The top DE’s make QB money ($25 mill per year).

On 5/5/2022 at 9:40 AM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yup. It's always been a premium position.

JD talked about the value of positions in one of his recent interviews. He sees the premium positions as QB, OT, Edge, CB and WR. That would be in line with the analytics community.

• Upvote 1

On 5/4/2022 at 11:33 PM, RevisIsland610 said:

The Jermaine Johnson pick makes the Sauce pick better.  

On 5/6/2022 at 6:36 PM, Facts said:

Simple - The NFL has changed rules to favor the offense. The way to crush an offense now is PRESSURE. 

Why do you think top DE’s make so much more than top CB’s? The top DE’s make QB money ($25 mill per year).

Agree with your logic.  The giants won a super bowl with an average secondary facing Tom Brady.  They had JPP all over him all day.  And I wasn’t a happy customer on draft night when we passed on Thibs at 4

That said we got another really good EDGE later in rd 1

• Upvote 1

I have a thought on this 

for most teams in the league. It may not make a ton on sense analytically  to lose points for trade up . You can use those 5th and 6th rounders to develop and fill out the back end of your roster 

but the jets have been developing young cheap players for the last 2-3 years . They don’t need cheap late rounders to fill out the roster . They need high end talent . And that’s what Joe D did. They didn’t necessarily “need” the extra picks this year . 

• Upvote 1