Deebo…..Again

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

I would like to add Deebo but I wouldn't offer them sh*t at this point. They passed on a strong offer and are now left with a problem. Let them sit in the stink for a couple of months and see if they reach out to us. Then make a lesser offer.

This is emotionally acceptable 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I would like to add Deebo but I wouldn't offer them sh*t at this point. They passed on a strong offer and are now left with a problem. Let them sit in the stink for a couple of months and see if they reach out to us. Then make a lesser offer.

Please tell me you don't mean this literally!

47 minutes ago, Esquire said:

Not a chance.  The reason Deebo wants out of SF is that he doesn't want to be used the way they are using him.  He wants to be a pass-catching wide receiver.  His value is in the pass/run game.  I'm not paying 25 million for him to catch 2-3 passes per game.

How is Deebo a possession WR who will get 2-3 passes per game?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WhartonJet said:

https://thespun.com/nfl/nfc-west/san-francisco-49ers/deebo-samuel-is-still-dug-in-nfl-world-reacts

Would you trade a 2023 #1 & Corey Davis for Deebo assuming he was willing to sign a long term deal here?

abso-f*xking-lutely....

I can get in my car now and head to Corey Davis' house and drive he and the fam out there. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

39 minutes ago, slats said:

I know you’re down on Zach, but they’re not drafting another QB in the first round next year. If they’re still on the fence about him after this season (or worse, think he might be a bust), the most they’ll probably do is bring in a veteran fringe starter type to push him and/or take over when need be. I don’t think they’re even thinking about that right now, though. They’re doing everything they can to help Zach succeed. 

That said, I’d consider a package for Deebo. The dude is a QB’s best friend. 

My feelings on Zach aren't terribly pertinent - the results on the field are.  And thus far, they're very bottom of the league bad.  Will they improve this season, there's where guesses and feelings come in.

But, even with this great draft, Joe Douglas has to start winning football games.  In my view, he can get away with another 'young team, pieces in place, building something' year where 5-6 wins is okay.  After that, he's going to need more than a 'fringe starter.'  That said, I do agree that they may not draft a QB in the first next year, but if Zach doesn't trend meaningfully upwards, I wouldn't rule out a trade of some kind involving that pick.

None of this is a commentary on Deebo.  Undoubtedly he makes any team better.  However, last year, we used a high pick on Elijah Moore.  This year, we used a premium pick on Garrett Wilson.  We also signed Corey Davis who is not a #1, but also not as bad as people want to make him out to be.  Additionally, we brought back Zach's BFF and a quality WR in Berrios.  The time to add Deebo was prior to drafting Wilson, not after.  I don't see a place for another 1st round WR on a 25M contract now.  Additionally, we drafted a TE, added two solid veterans at TE, and drafted a RB high.  These weapons currently on the roster are all enough for a QB to be great, if that QB has the potential to be great.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, ZachEY said:

My feelings on Zach aren't terribly pertinent - the results on the field are.  And thus far, they're very bottom of the league bad.  Will they improve this season, there's where guesses and feelings come in.

But, even with this great draft, Joe Douglas has to start winning football games.  In my view, he can get away with another 'young team, pieces in place, building something' year where 5-6 wins is okay.  After that, he's going to need more than a 'fringe starter.'  That said, I do agree that they may not draft a QB in the first next year, but if Zach doesn't trend meaningfully upwards, I wouldn't rule out a trade of some kind involving that pick.

None of this is a commentary on Deebo.  Undoubtedly he makes any team better.  However, last year, we used a high pick on Elijah Moore.  This year, we used a premium pick on Garrett Wilson.  We also signed Corey Davis who is not a #1, but also not as bad as people want to make him out to be.  Additionally, we brought back Zach's BFF and a quality WR in Berrios.  The time to add Deebo was prior to drafting Wilson, not after.  I don't see a place for another 1st round WR on a 25M contract now.  Additionally, we drafted a TE, added two solid veterans at TE, and drafted a RB high.  These weapons currently on the roster are all enough for a QB to be great, if that QB has the potential to be great.

I don't want to be great. I want to be delicious. 

Hey, the answer is no.  Hell no.  F-k no.  Absolutely no. We can not trade next year's 1st round pick. QB may be on the table and you can't risk it for another WR when you just drafted one at #10.  That would be complete negligence on the part of Joe Douglas.   Must have a 1st rounder ready for 2023. /end story.  /end thread.

2 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

https://thespun.com/nfl/nfc-west/san-francisco-49ers/deebo-samuel-is-still-dug-in-nfl-world-reacts

Would you trade a 2023 #1 & Corey Davis for Deebo assuming he was willing to sign a long term deal here?

No way. We were giving up essentially a mid first rounder for Deebo. Can’t give up a 1st and Corey. Unless it’s a 1st and Corey for Deebo and a 2nd

More likely than taking Corey Davis and next year’s #1 we would see Douglas offer G.Wilson and at best swap next year’s SF 2nd and NYJ 5th as his top offer (if even that), and the clock is ticking on that, too.

That’s less than he offered days ago but still gives them the same in the key pick for a new WR; and unlike then, now it can be pending a physical without the what-ifs should team doctors come up with something too concerning (not that I’m at all time high confidence in NYJ orthopedists). 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Hey, the answer is no.  Hell no.  F-k no.  Absolutely no. We can not trade next year's 1st round pick. QB may be on the table and you can't risk it for another WR when you just drafted one at #10.  That would be complete negligence on the part of Joe Douglas.   Must have a 1st rounder ready for 2023. /end story.  /end thread.

^^^this, this is what you get when you get dental floss for Christmas as a child

The three teams that were interested (PHI, DET and NYJ) all grabbed a WR in the 1st or used a 1st to trade for a WR.

The 49ers don't really have a trading partner that is desperate anymore. No team offered more than the equivalent of a 1st rounder in the mid teens. Their leverage in a trade has gone down. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

More likely than taking Corey Davis and next year’s #1 we would see Douglas offer G.Wilson and at best next year’s 5th as his top offer (if even that), and the clock is ticking on that, too.

That’s less than he offered days ago but still gives them the same in the key pick for a new WR; and unlike then, now it can be pending a physical without the what-ifs should team doctors come up with something too concerning (not that I’m at all time high confidence in NYJ orthopedists). 

jd isnt trading wilson... 

So if the 9ers called today and said they'd take Garrett Wilson and Max Mitchell for Deebo, would you do it?  That is roughly what JD offered them.  I find the psychology of how people value a faceless pick vs. the names of two players they've already accepted as Jets kind of interesting.  Personally, now that I know we have Wilson, I tend to put a higher value on #10 than before.  But that's just me...

For reference,

Jets offered 10th and a 5th rounder for Deebo and a 2nd = value of about 16th pick in the draft

Lions offered 32nd and 34th for Deebo = value of about 13th pick in the draft

Tennessee accepted Phi trade of 18th pick and 101st pick for AJ Brown = value of about 16th pick in the draft

I recall similar data showing Hill and Adams went for about the 13th pick in the draft.

Teams did not low ball SF. SF does not want to trade him. But the Jets and Detroits offer were both fair when you stack up what other WRs were traded for.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Unlikely, but he was willing to pass on drafting Wilson to get Deebo just before. The difference is solely in one’s head. 

He was willing to pass on the possibility of drafting Wilson. He might not’ve thought that he would be there. A lot of mocks had him going to the Falcons, who decided on a different WR. If Wilson really was his #1 WR, that difference is probably in his head, too. Corey Davis and a pick seems about right, I don’t know about a future #1, though. Not without getting something substantial back. 

No, and I’m going to take it a step further in my reasoning why.  Deebo has made it clear that he would completely give up on his team to get what he wants.  This isn’t like when Bell wanted out.  The 49ers have made him an offer that averages 25 million per year.  His reaction to that is to do this?  I’ll pass.  Also, as others have said, if Zach doesn’t play well, you may need that pick in order to move on.

6 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

For reference,

Jets offered 10th and a 5th rounder for Deebo and a 2nd = value of about 16th pick in the draft

Lions offered 32nd and 34th for Deebo = value of about 13th pick in the draft

Tennessee accepted Phi trade of 18th pick and 101st pick for AJ Brown = value of about 16th pick in the draft

I recall similar data showing Hill and Adams went for about the 13th pick in the draft.

Teams did not low ball SF. SF does not want to trade him. But the Jets and Detroits offer were both fair when you stack up what other WRs were traded for.

Tennessee wanted to trade brown b/c they didn’t want to pay him and probably thought he’s only going to miss more games with injuries.  KC couldn’t pay tyreke so the best move was to trade him.  SF does not want to trade deebo, and Seattle does not want to trade DK.  This is why 2 wrs got traded and 2 didn’t.  

• Upvote 2