Deebo…..Again

17 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

He didnt know for certain before the draft that he d be able to draft Wilson, so it is a little different.

I was also making the point that we don't have any confirmation that Douglas yanked the offer off the table once we were on the clock with Wilson there. I'd think part of the offer took that contingency into account -- at least as much from SF's perspective than ours, since we'd have been agreeable to giving up that #10 pick given the high probability that our top guy would've still been there. Wilson was not resoundingly/universally expected to get taken between picks 5-9 in the first place.

There's no evidence that Douglas preferred drafting Wilson to signing Deebo plus San Fran's 2nd round pick. 

• Upvote 2

Deebo died with the Wilson pick. Zach’s in a good enough situation as it is now and we shouldn’t be using anymore significant resources at WR for a while.

Love the player but we need to move on. There’s only so many of these guys you can use.

#10 plus Corey Davis? Sure, why not. We're already paying Corey $13m, plus the $6m we're paying the #10 pick, so right there's $19m even without Deebo. How much more could Deebo cost than what we're already paying NOT to have him? $6m?

So our #10 plus Corey plus $6m for Deebo?

All day.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I know the feeling, this same thing happened to me a Jets practice back in Hofstra.  The a-hole who wouldnt sign my ball?  Mark Gastineau.  Total jerk about it too.  You know who did sign my ball and also had an epic arm wrestling match w/ for an ice cream cone?  Joe F'ing Klecko.  Such a freaking nice dude.  Instantly my entire families favorite player after that day.  

Gastineau Praying.gif

Klecko (Large).gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I know the feeling, this same thing happened to me a Jets practice back in Hofstra.  The a-hole who wouldnt sign my ball?  Mark Gastineau.  Total jerk about it too.  You know who did sign my ball and also had an epic arm wrestling match w/ for an ice cream cone?  Joe F'ing Klecko.  Such a freaking nice dude.  Instantly my entire families favorite player after that day.  

What a dick. When I was a kid 12-13 years old and  I saw Phil Simms walking in a Church parking lot after Mass I walked right by him and just said Hi Mr Simms and he looked right at me and kept walking not a hello head nod, nothing,  just right to his car.  I was like **** him and the Giants. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/2/2022 at 7:46 AM, WhartonJet said:

https://thespun.com/nfl/nfc-west/san-francisco-49ers/deebo-samuel-is-still-dug-in-nfl-world-reacts

Would you trade a 2023 #1 & Corey Davis for Deebo assuming he was willing to sign a long term deal here?

No way.  You can't anticipate what our needs will be next year, and that first round pick might be the left tackle we need, or a stud linebacker, or hopefully not, a quarterback if things fall apart with Zach.  

Yes, I would give up Corey Davis and 2- 2nd round picks, but no way a first round pick.  And assuming that the Jets will be up for a top 15 pick, giving up that pick makes even less sense.

3 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

What a dick. When I was a kid 12-13 years old and  I saw Phil Simms walking in a Church parking lot after Mass I walked right by him and just said Hi Mr Simms and he looked right at me and kept walking not a hello head nod, nothing,  just right to his car.  I was like **** him and the Giants. 

Famous people don’t owe you their time and are allowed to have bad days. The Gastineau story is much worse because he was “at work” and part of his job is fan stuff.

But agree **** the Giants.

16 minutes ago, jgb said:

Famous people don’t owe you their time and are allowed to have bad days. The Gastineau story is much worse because he was “at work” and part of his job is fan stuff.

Owe. Have to. Obligated. 

I agree that these are words that shouldn't apply to famous people giving autographs. That said, he plays a children's game for a sh*t load of money paid entirely by fans through one avenue or another. Sign the kids ball. 

Also, he looks fat, no?

3 hours ago, jgb said:

True. I don’t owe him my time either. I don’t give a **** if he is famous, doesn’t make him better than anyone. I was recovering in West Point Army hospital sitting outside in a wheelchair smoking a cigarette wondering if I would ever walk again and some young kid runs up to me and starts asking me questions about what happened to you and asking general military questions and I didn’t blow him off,I talked to the kid, **** that analogy. 

I was just saying hello not looking for an autograph or anything. If you are a star QB and you can’t give a kid at least a nod then that says a lot about a person bad day or not. I didn’t give a **** as a Jets fan, just thought what a d* k. I am scared for life, damn you Phil Simms!!

The Gastineau story is ****ed especially for a fan of a team at the facility. Sometimes people just think to highly of themselves. 

8 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

True. I don’t owe him my time either. I don’t give a **** if he is famous, doesn’t make him better than anyone. I was recovering in West Point Army hospital sitting outside in a wheelchair smoking a cigarette wondering if I would ever walk again and some young kid runs up to me and starts asking me questions about what happened to you and asking general military questions and I didn’t blow him off,I talked to the kid, **** that analogy. 

I was just saying hello not looking for an autograph or anything. If you are a star QB and you can’t give a kid at least a nod then that says a lot about a person bad day or not. I didn’t give a **** as a Jets fan, just thought what a d* k. I am scared for life, damn you Phil Simms!!

The Gastineau story is ****ed especially for a fan of a team at the facility. Sometimes people just think to highly of themselves. 

Let’s just say we agree about the Gastineau situation and leave it there. I hope you’ve made a full recovery.

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He is, but they don’t throw much to their WRs.

Is that because LJ can't throw well or because their receivers have been straight ass while he has been there?  He has no problem connecting with the 2nd best TE in the league.  Bateman was injured most of his time and Brown is now a Cardinal. 

Fantasy side note: Especially if you blame the lack of Baltimore passing game on Jackson, Brown is a very interesting fantasy choice while Hopkins sits out the first 6 games. Maybe he and Murray can form some kind of solid rapport out there by then, which leaves him as a decent weapon after the 6 weeks.  Or maybe he was and still is straight ass.

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

Is that because LJ can't throw well or because their receivers have been straight ass while he has been there? 

Neither:  They're among the most run-heavy teams in the league.  Only the Titans (551 attempts) and Eagles (550) ran the ball more times in 2021 than the Ravens (517).  In 2020 the Ravens were the top dogs in the category (555), beating out the Titans (521) and Patriots (502).

The WRs might not be great but they've invested plenty of draft capital into the position over the last few seasons.  Brown and Rashod Bateman were 1st round picks.  And they grabbed 2 WRs in the 2020 class (Duvernay - 3rd; Proche - 6th).  It's more that when they elect to throw, Jackson is often looking to run. 

And yes, he does indeed look for Andrews above his WRs but that may be more of a reflection of play design than it says anything about Jackson's throwing abilities or the strength of his WRs.  And Andrews is definitely an elite TE so its not exactly a bad methodology.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/2/2022 at 1:35 PM, KRL said:

Time to put "Deebo-palooza" away, he's not going anywhere.  And SF will have issues with him

holding out this summer

And if you need to got out and invest another 1st rounder and the money it will cost to sign him, then Zach is the problem.  Plenty of talent around him at this point.

On 5/2/2022 at 7:14 PM, Biggs said:

Next years draft is QB rich.  If Zach blows we are going to want our first round pick.  There is enough WR /TE/ RB and line talent to evaluate Zach.  If Zach is good and is showing potential there will be plenty of opportunity to trade picks for established talent.

If the QB fails we better do more than only draft one. I want FA/trade as well. Let’s buy more then one ticket to the QB lottery at a time. Enough of this sh*t.