2023 NFL Draft Prospects

maury77

42 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Exactly, Supply will equal demand but in my opinion it would take a very long time to out kick the demand.  Too many wrs used on any given play and with the changes to the way defense is played, its a less physical position that it has been over the decades. 

The trades are going to be the most fascinating non jets story line of the nfl season to me personally.  in KC and GB specifically with elite QBs, if the offenses are equal or better for having a less is more approach (more capable WRs compared to 1 elite guy and a few sub par guys) then you may see a lot of teams with high end QBs not pay their Elite Wr's and adopt this approach.   Teams will always want an elite player so the trade market for teams with young qbs on rookie salaries will benefit here as they can trade for an elite talent to help the young guy develop (which is what we saw this offseason).  This year with the exception on LA every team trading for an elite Wr did so for a young QB on a rookie deal (Jets included). 

If it happens that GB and KC are better off for these moves, and I suspect it will prove that (especially KC and how they've transformed their room).  Then this can have multiple effects to NFL offseasons.  1. being like i just discussed, teams with young qbs being more aggressive in a market for established star WR's.  or 2. The salaries of these Wr's settling back into a smaller market, not going above 25 mil per. 

Yeah it’ll be very, very interesting to see how it shakes out. Pittsburgh and Green Bay have done an awesome job over the years, though Green Bay less recently, of constantly using day two and day three capital, having a pretty stocked group, and eventually letting guys walk before they take a step back. I remember wondering about how the Packers would replace Nelson, Steelers guys like Holmes and AB. They have just kept ticking, it’s impressive.

Eventually they can take a tick back, though I’m not sure the Steelers will as they continued to load up this draft. I like those rooms with 3-4 really solid guys. Easier to weather injuries and stuff, and it’s just more flexible than what can we do if they shut down our main guy. That all said, need a QB who can identify mismatches, go through reads, and find the right guy. But that’s the strategy I like. Wilson day one was a nice add but I wouldn’t mind if they continue to stack in rounds 2-4. There’s somebody you like, take him.

1 hour ago, derp said:

Even if the WR group is good enough I still like the take a guy in the second to fourth round basically every year approach. Just keep a solid pipeline and be able to let guys walk if you need to.

Don't bring that kind of sensibility in here....  It took us 21 years to break that 1st rnd WR streak -- and over that time only two, TWO.. receivers were taken in the 2nd round,. Stephen Hill and Denzel Mims.

All our WRs besides Robbie, Cotch and Kerley have been bought and paid for

• Santonio
  • Braylon
  • Marshall
  • Decker
  • McCariens
  • Conway
  • Harvin
  • D Thomas

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Don't bring that kind of sensibility in here....  It took us 21 years to break that 1st rnd WR streak -- and over that time only two, TWO.. receivers were taken in the 2nd round,. Stephen Hill and Denzel Mims.

• Santonio
  • Braylon
  • Marshall
  • Decker
  • McCariens
  • Conway
  • Harvin
  • D Thomas

Right, but the Jets have now spent a pick in the first 2 rounds on a WR 3 years running. 

22 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Right, but the Jets have now spent a pick in the first 2 rounds on a WR 3 years running. 

Exactly why I think it’s a distant dream to see it happen again 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

• Santonio
  • Braylon
  • Marshall
  • Decker
  • McCariens
  • Conway
  • Harvin
  • D Thomas

Moore too, but I got you. Next year the team doesn’t draft a receiver will be the first. I think/hope he recognizes the need to keep that rolling next year, even if it’s a Romeo Doubs (who I suspect outproduces Watson) type early day three move. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, derp said:

Even if the WR group is good enough I still like the take a guy in the second to fourth round basically every year approach. Just keep a solid pipeline and be able to let guys walk if you need to.

1000x this.  Especiallly with what we saw happening with the WR position in the offseason.  Draft and develop young guys so you can afford to either trade or let guys walk rather than shell out the $25M+ contract.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

This is the big reason GB and KC said bye to big time WR's wanting 25+ mil per year approaching 30.  Its not worth it.  Every year now you'll see big time WR groups coming out.  You should see the high school kids i get film on (one kid is a freshman with 7 D1 offers), every year youre going to be loaded a the position, really no need to spend big on these guys when the supply will equal the demand. 

It’s really impressive seeing how developed some of these kids are coming out of high school.  I was down in Clemson for the spring game and went to a practice.   I was talking to Tyler Grisham the WR coach and recruiting coordinator, he was saying that not only are there large numbers of D1 caliber receivers, but the number of kids who can step foot on campus and play on day one are also high.  

Going forward the “ramp up” time needed for WRs entering the NFL is going to be much shorter than before.  There are more plug and play guys entering the league each year.   WR is going to become sort of like RB in that the plan will be to draft them, use them up, and draft some more.  You pay the truly special ones, but the days of waiting 3-4 years for guys to develop is gone.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

Santonio

Braylon

Marshall

Decker

McCariens

Conway

Harvin

D Thomas

Three.  Devin Smith.  Not that it changes your point any, which I happen to agree with.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

Three.  Devin Smith.  Not that it changes your point any, which I happen to agree with.

ugh... that's right... and that tells you everything about Devin Smith's career. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

ugh... that's right... and that tells you everything about Devin Smith's career. 

I understand why you would want to forget him.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I think barring any rule changes, increased supply is going to result in the price ultimately going downwards. The other factor is the shoe continuing to drop on QB 2nd contracts. It's taken a long while, but if you look at the teams having cap issues it's the ones who have massive coin invested into vet QBs. That's why it's imperative to me that you load up on runs for rookie QB deals and you also really are diligent about deciding whether the QB you have is worth a 2nd deal.

Yeah I agree the price goes down, but I also think they’ve been undervalued so it’s a question of how much. I kind of suspect most teams that were involved in this offseason’s trades lose.

Definitely agree it’s key to load up with a QB on a rookie deal.

While we're talking about prospects and giant WRs, let's not forget that freshman sensation at UVA, Lavel Davis... out of all of last year with a knee injury, but he'll be back this fall and draft eligible... He'll also have Brennan Armstrong back throwing the ball, who probably should be on that list of top 10 QBs... Look out, here come the Cavs? lol

Kinda think/hope that with a loaded class, Lavel sticks around another year. We'll be more likely to have a chance at drafting him '24. 

Love Boutte, Addison and Downs at WR.  

Boutte had a game last season where he almost hit 100yds receiving on ONE DRIVE.  LSU had some flags that made them lose ground and they kept getting it back (and then some) with Boutte.  Finished the drive with 99yds and a TD.

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

While we're talking about prospects and giant WRs, let's not forget that freshman sensation at UVA, Lavel Davis... out of all of last year with a knee injury, but he'll be back this fall and draft eligible... He'll also have Brennan Armstrong back throwing the ball, who probably should be on that list of top 10 QBs... Look out, here come the Cavs? lol

Kinda think/hope that with a loaded class, Lavel sticks around another year. We'll be more likely to have a chance at drafting him '24. 

Agreed.  Plus they will be running a VERY WR friendly Tony Elliot offense.  That should be great for Davis.   

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2022 at 8:08 AM, maury77 said:

1) C.J. Stroud, Ohio State
2) Bryce Young, Alabama
3) Spencer Rattler, South Carolina
4) Anthony Richardson, Florida
5) Jaren Hall, BYU
6) Jake Haener, Fresno State
7) Will Levis, Kentucky
😎 Grayson McCall, Coastal Carolina
9) Tyler Van Dyke, Miami (FL)
10) Cameron Ward, Washington State

It’s a star-studded group led by C.J. Stroud and Bryce Young. Both are slated to compete for the Heisman Trophy and the right to be the No. 1 overall pick in 2023. Anthony Richardson has earned the starting role and is a tailormade fit for Billy Napier’s system in Gainesville.

Jaren Hall and Jake Haener have a lot to gain this season, while Spencer Rattler can prove he belongs after moving to South Carolina. Cameron Ward is the darkhorse for biggest riser, as the big-armed quarterback transferred from Incarnate Word to Washington State after throwing for nearly 5,000 yards a season ago.

hahahahaha it's MAY!!!!!  The draft just ended!!!!!!!  Boy, you're a sucker.  lol

AR15 is the the most talented QB in this class.  Yep, I said it.  If he puts it altogether, he's the #1 overall IMO.  Yeah, I get Bryce Young and CJ Stroud will get all the attention, playing in big games/national spot light but if AR15 puts it altogether, he's basically Cam Newton with a better arm.  He's the lone reason why I dont think this is going to be bad transitional year for the Gators.  The kid is a freak.  Straight up. 

• Haha 1

On 5/2/2022 at 8:08 AM, maury77 said:

Top 10 EDGE Defenders

1) Will Anderson Jr., Alabama

The only player that will even remotely give the QB's a challenge for #1 overall.  He has to be the most heralded pass rusher to come out since Garrett, easily, if not more hyped. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/3/2022 at 5:17 AM, Irish Jet said:

3. NEW YORK JETS: DT JALEN CARTER, GEORGIA
On that vaunted Georgia defense, Carter earned the highest pass-rushing grade (90.0). That also happened to be the highest of any Power Five defensive tackle. He’s a twitchy 6-foot-3, 310-pounder you can pencil in at the top half of Round 1.

PFF's mock. Is Mac returning? 

haha, they the Jets drafting 3rd overall?  lmfao.  If the 2 teams in front of them are QB needy (maybe not because Jags) but if, then Tim Anderson would be available!!!

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, derp said:

I 100%, think WR has become a position you need to take a swing at, every year.  Especially with what were seeing from a salary perspective.  You cant be held hostage by WR when you're hopefully paying a QB pretty soon.  Throw in the fact that it's a position you can hit on in any round, it's just smart roster management. 

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

It’s really impressive seeing how developed some of these kids are coming out of high school.  I was down in Clemson for the spring game and went to a practice.   I was talking to Tyler Grisham the WR coach and recruiting coordinator, he was saying that not only are there large numbers of D1 caliber receivers, but the number of kids who can step foot on campus and play on day one are also high.  

Going forward the “ramp up” time needed for WRs entering the NFL is going to be much shorter than before.  There are more plug and play guys entering the league each year.   WR is going to become sort of like RB in that the plan will be to draft them, use them up, and draft some more.  You pay the truly special ones, but the days of waiting 3-4 years for guys to develop is gone.  

Yea I completely agree, youre seeing kids come out of high school physically more developed than they ever have been and with TONS of experience under their belt.  Especially down south where there are 7v7 leagues basically year round for these guys to compete in and the number of positional trainers has gone through the roof.  Playing WR has become like the rich kid playing tennis thing, only it doesnt cost a ton of money.  What I mean is all the rich kids that play tennis and that are good people go "oh well they have a trainer and take lessons on the side". Thats exactly what is going on with most WR's now (hell I do it lol).  

WR's are becoming easier and easier to find, thats why youre seeing a lot of smaller school guys get drafted early on and perform as well.  Not everyone can go to Bama or Clemson, theres just too many kids that are good, so you'll get really good players that go to smaller schools and tear it up.  

No need to pay for just good wrs anymore, like you said, pay the special ones, keep drafting. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

hahahahaha it's MAY!!!!!  The draft just ended!!!!!!!  Boy, you're a sucker.  lol

AR15 is the the most talented QB in this class.  Yep, I said it.  If he puts it altogether, he's the #1 overall IMO.  Yeah, I get Bryce Young and CJ Stroud will get all the attention, playing in big games/national spot light but if AR15 puts it altogether, he's basically Cam Newton with a better arm.  He's the lone reason why I dont think this is going to be bad transitional year for the Gators.  The kid is a freak.  Straight up. 

This draft sucked me back in, what can I say. I have to watch tape on AR, the highlights just show runs. There are aspects of Will Levit's game that I really like, but he's raw as a passer

4 minutes ago, maury77 said:

This draft sucked me back in, what can I say. I have to watch tape on AR, the highlights just show runs. There are aspects of Will Levit's game that I really like, but he's raw as a passer

Meh, I get the Levis appeal but he's just meh, IMO.   Basically carried by my boy, Wan'Dale, ;-)

AR is legit dude.  Straight up.  He's got to develop but my man has it all and if it clicks, he's going to be ridiculous.  His biggest weakness right now is he struggles throwing to the far hash, there is something there whether it's he relies to much on his arm (he has a cannon) or he just isnt reading that side of the field well, not sure but he throws up some pick 6 level stuff sometimes on timing routes to the far hash.  Anywho, here is the spring game, obviously a ton of passing;

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Meh, I get the Levis appeal but he's just meh, IMO.   Basically carried by my boy, Wan'Dale, ;-)

AR is legit dude.  Straight up.  He's got to develop but my man has it all and if it clicks, he's going to be ridiculous.  His biggest weakness right now is he struggles throwing to the far hash, there is something there whether it's he relies to much on his arm (he has a cannon) or he just isnt reading that side of the field well, not sure but he throws up some pick 6 level stuff sometimes on timing routes to the far hash.  Anywho, here is the spring game, obviously a ton of passing;

I watched the LSU game. He's got tools to die for and, as raw as he is, his accuracy and ball placement are very impressive. I will be interested to see if Florida gives him more sophisticated concepts this year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

I 100%, think WR has become a position you need to take a swing at, every year.  Especially with what were seeing from a salary perspective.  You cant be held hostage by WR when you're hopefully paying a QB pretty soon.  Throw in the fact that it's a position you can hit on in any round, it's just smart roster management. 

Agreed. I think they're already taking a similar approach on the RB side, but more from a desire to not give a 2nd contract on a production standpoint rather than the contracts being prohibitively high.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, JiFapono said:

i fancy myself a Florida guy when it comes to program loyalty in power 5, but i wouldn't lump myself into your stratosphere... with that said, i think Anthony Richardson is the best QB prospect i've watched with intent at UF... but i didn't "pay attention" pre-Leak, if you know what i mean. That's about as far back as my watching florida QBs with an eye for the future goes. 

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

i fancy myself a Florida guy when it comes to program loyalty in power 5, but i wouldn't lump myself into your stratosphere... with that said, i think Anthony Richardson is the best QB prospect i've watched with intent at UF... but i didn't "pay attention" pre-Leak, if you know what i mean. That's about as far back as my watching florida QBs with an eye for the future goes. 

You're going to laugh but Rex Grossman was ridiculous.  He really should have won the Heisman his Sophomore year but the committee was still anti-underclassmen, Eric Crouch?  So dumb.  Rex was sooo much better.    That was the year they had to reschedule Tenn. because of a Hurricane, got them late in the season when they were picking up steam, Travis Stephens went nuts ran for like 200+, beat us by 2 costing us a chance at the Nat'y.

Before Rex?  It was a bunch of crusty timing rhythm white dudes, Shane Mathew, Danny W., Doug Johnson, Jesse Palmer, etc. 

I really thought either Jeff Driskell or Felipe Franks could be that dude because they were freaky but nah.  AR15 though?  Dude...I'm for real, if he puts it together, he's the #1 overall pick.  He's a man child.  The shame of it all is having him here with a transition year, he's a national championship caliber QB.  100%.  He's the type of guy you get when everything is built and make your championship run, maybe he hangs out another year and Napier can make a quick impact, we'll see but yeah, he's that guy for sure.

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

You're going to laugh but Rex Grossman was ridiculous.  He really should have won the Heisman his Sophomore year but the committee was still anti-underclassmen, Eric Crouch?  So dumb.  Rex was sooo much better.    That was the year they had to reschedule Tenn. because of a Hurricane, got them late in the season when they were picking up steam, Travis Stephens went nuts ran for like 200+, beat us by 2 costing us a chance at the Nat'y.

Before Rex?  It was a bunch of crusty timing rhythm white dudes, Shane Mathew, Danny W., Doug Johnson, Jesse Palmer, etc

I really thought either Jeff Driskell or Felipe Franks could be that dude because they were freaky but nah.  AR15 though?  Dude...I'm for real, if he puts it together, he's the #1 overall pick.  He's a man child.  The shame of it all is having him here with a transition year, he's a national championship caliber QB.  100%.  He's the type of guy you get when everything is built and make your championship run, maybe he hangs out another year and Napier can make a quick impact, we'll see but yeah, he's that guy for sure.

Damn dude, no love for Danny W or Tebow after they won Heismans? 

All kidding aside, AR15 really does have some nice tools. If he comes out in 2 years, its going to be him vs Caleb Williams for the 1# overall pick. Freak vs. Freak. 

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Before Rex?  It was a bunch of crusty timing rhythm white dudes, Shane Mathew, Danny W., Doug Johnson, Jesse Palmer, etc. 

olvPBphkhH0iT3LMotI6GhWYieqgRd73Hlv6Qj-d

I can't stop laughing every time i hear Crouch's name. 

Shane Matthews.... now there's a name. Couldn't keep Jim Miller on the bench. Honestly, I don't know Steve's gators that well. Mostly a passive spectator at that point.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, maury77 said:

Damn dude, no love for Danny W or Tebow after they won Heismans? 

All kidding aside, AR15 really does have some nice tools. If he comes out in 2 years, its going to be him vs Caleb Williams for the 1# overall pick. Freak vs. Freak. 

I love'em to death but he was asking about a specific time frame and neither of those dudes have what AR15 does...

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I love'em to death but he was asking about a specific time frame and neither of those dudes have what AR15 does...

yea I loved Tebow too.  It was the Leak era leading up to that Troy Smith showdown that stole my heart. In terms of NFL prospective potential though, AR looks to be a slice above.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, derp said:

@sec101row23 early thoughts on Bresee, Myles Murphy, and others to watch?

@Lith thoughts on Jalen Carter, Nolan Smith, Sedrick Van Pran, and others to watch?

Jalen Carter may go ahead of where Jordan Davis went this year.  Top 10 overall seems like a possibility.  May have been our best defensive lineman last year.  Better than either Wyatt or Davis.

Kelee Ringo could be CB1 next season.  And Christopher Smith could be in the discussion as a top 3 safety.

Smith I would have thought of as a day 2/early day 3 guy, but after seeing where the two Walkers went this year (and Dean going where he did), I have no clue where he will go.  And we also have two TEs, Darnel Washington and the LSU transfer Arik Gilbert who should be back this season.  And there are a bunch of OL to watch, not just Van Pran-Granger, but Warren Erickson, Warren McLendon and Broderick Jones could be drafted as well.

Won't be 15 guys drafted like this season, but the cupboard is definitely not bare.

• Upvote 2

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.