Critique Your Own 2022 NY Jets Draft Predictions

OK... Time to give your self props or take the heat.

I read a lot of predictions from many posters here about what the Jets were going to do in the draft and why.

I'd like to here everyone's critique of their own impersonation of Mel Kiper.

Where did you get it right ??? Where did you get it wrong ??? 

Me first.

Pre-Combine, I am on record calling Sauce and Ickey the two best players in the draft.  I was sure the Jets would draft one of those two.  I was also equally sure that the Jets *REALLY* wanted to move on from Becton.   Hence, I was insisting that they take Ickey if available.  If he wasn't there, I was all in on Sauce.  I was also all-in on the Jets taking the best WR with their second pick *IF* SAUCE was the pick.  If it was ICKEY at 4, I was all in on the Jets taking the highest rated CB or edge at 10. 

Where I was right. 

1. Sauce was the pick at 4

2. WR was the pick at 10

Where I was wrong.

1. Ickey was NOT the pick and the Jets did not make a certain decision to move on from Becton and draft his replacement.

So... To those that were saying my suggestion regarding Becton was incorrect.  You were correct.

2. I was on record saying that they could address CB and WR, but with the way the draft looked, there was no way they could ALSO fill the need for an edge rusher. Happily, I was REALLY WRONG.  No way did I ever expect them to get all three.  CB, WR and Edge all in round one.  This was insanely wonderfully unexpected

3. I also had no clue that the Jets could also grab the best RB in the draft along with CB, WR and Edge.  

I didn't see this coming.  WILD.

And you ??? Where did you get it right ??? Wrong ??? Fess up. 

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

1. Ickey was NOT the pick and the Jets did not make a certain decision to move on from Becton and draft his replacement.

So... To those that were saying my suggestion regarding Becton was incorrect.  You were correct.

My work in this thread is done. 

Thought there was a 0% chance the Jets went CB at 4 

Thought there was a good chance the Jets would take a Wr at 10 and that it would be Garret Wilson

Didnt think we'd trade back into the 1st round nor that we'd have a chance to draft a plyer like JJ

• Upvote 1

I bought the narratives of:

- The defense doesn't value CBs
- The RB position is by committee

Therefore I never thought we would draft Gardner high.  And I never
thought we would take a RB1 so I never saw Hall being taken     

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, KRL said:

Ditto, so by default, I expected OL in the first, along with either WR or Edge.  Didn't see the Hall pick coming but love it.  And was hoping for Ruckert in the 3rd/4th, so very happy with that.

• Upvote 1

From the end of the season, up till about 2 weeks before the draft, I said that Edge and WR had to and would be our 1st round picks. Was also adamant that we would never take a CB in 1st. Started to feel that if they were totally done with Becton, that an OT would be taken in RD 1, and it would be Cross. Give myself a lucky C here, but only because of trade up.

For the rest of the draft, thought that we would definitely grab a TE and probably double dip at Edge, but also go LB and DT. Again, a C. 

• Upvote 1

I thought OT was the right choice, wrong as they passed on all of them. I always mocked WR Wilson as the selection, got that right. Figured they would pass on Thibs, got that right.

It remains to be seen if what we missed or hit in the draft unfolds on the field - Slats, I hope you're correct on Becton. I wouldn't want to bet the year on him, but we will see.

• Upvote 2

When this process first started, I wanted Sauce. Thought and still think he is the cleanest prospect in the draft and fits our scheme perfectly. Maybe 2nd behind Hutch.

After listening to Connor Hughes, he convinced me CB was not an option at #4. So I scraped Sauce from my brain.

As a result, I wanted us to go Edge then WR.

Jermaine Johnson. Giving where he got drafted, I would have over drafted him. I also would have over drafted Travis Jones, Isaiah Likely and both of the Arizona St OL who went undrafted.

I didn't think we would draft S/LB. So I was right about that. Basically, had I not listened to Connor, I would have been mostly right all the way through.

• Upvote 1

OK.  Here (below) was my post on what I wanted/predicted

I was hottest on Wilson/Hall/Ruckert or Mitchell at TE.  O weapons.  And we not only got all those positions, but the exact players I most preferred.  Pretty happy hitting 100% on that!

Sauce over Thibs, 100% fine with.  I presumed they'd go Edge > CB because Edge felt like the bigger and more vital need.  Their trade up to get JJ effectively made Thibs irrelevant (they clearly preferred JJ) and cost us any real chance to get the LB Chenel.  of course, it also seems clear they (the Jets) didn;t seen LB as the level of need that I did.

Max Mitchell over Kellen Diesch is 100% fine, I don't generally scout that level of late round guys.  I very much wanted a depth O-Tackle, and Diesch was the highest rated one that always seemed to be available in our later picks, so I listed him.  MM seems to be as good or better a prospect.

So overall I think I did better than I do most years (most years the Jets draft 0% of the guys I really want, lol). 

Hitting on Wilson/Hall and Ruckert makes me very happy, but the whole draft makes me happy. 

Only JJ is the guy I'm sorta "ok, fine, we'll see" about.  Not sure there weren;t other edges that will be as good, but again, minor quibble.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL POST:

1. Kayvon Thibodeaux, Edge

But Sauce Gardner CB, Aiden Hutchison, Edge or Ickey Ekwanu, OT, would all be acceptable as well.

1. Garrett Wilson, WR

Jameson Williams WR, Drake London, WR or George Karloftis, Edge, would all be acceptable as well.

2. Leo Chenel, LB

Nic Bonnitto, LB or Arnold Ebikete, Edge, or George Pickens, WR could be fine as well.

2. Breece Hall, RB

Kenneth Walker III, RB, or Jalen Pitre, CB, could be ok too.  Hall may be a "reach" here, but doubt he falls to 3rd.

3. Kellen Diesch, OT

Jalen Tolbert, WR or Marcus Jones, CB could be acceptable.

4. Jeremy Ruckert, TE

Dane Belton, S, Tysen Anderson, S or James Mitchell, TE could also work here.

4. 5. and 5. At this point I don't really have "favorites" per se, depends on who drops, who is available, who we already picked, just too many variables.  Lots guys I like down in this area, but "My" draft would depend on who we already got,

• Upvote 3

I didn't think we would take CB at 4 but I think this edge class was overrated and Sauce was clearly the best player on the board also there was not a market to trade down.  I was right about there being a run on WRs and that it was a must to take one at 10 waiting until the second would have screwed up the whole draft and been a disaster. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

My memory might be a bit off.  Not sure.  Were you a Thibs guy ??? 

The way the draft fell, I thought he might be the pick but I was generally the adamantly against the Jets drafting any OL in the first two rounds guy. I came around on the possibility of Sauce before the draft, though, and was good with it. Even better after they still got their Edge and WR. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I missed out on Sauce, but had us taking Wilson, JJ and Breece.

I had Mcbride but we traded that pick to move up to get JJ.  We then grabbed Rucker so in theory, I had the tight end position nailed.

Damn good call in Wilson, JJ and Breece.  Really nice prediction.  

4 minutes ago, undertow said:

I didn't think we would take CB at 4 but I think this edge class was overrated by people and Sauce was clearly the best player available and there was not a market to trade down.  I was right about there being a run on WRs and that it was a must to take one at 10 waiting until the second would have screwed up the whole draft and been a disaster. 

Agree 100%

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

OK.  Here (below) was my post on what I wanted/predicted

I was hottest on Wilson/Hall/Ruckert or Mitchell at TE.  O weapons.  And we not only got all those positions, but the exact players I most preferred.  Pretty happy hitting 100% on that!

Sauce over Thibs, 100% fine with.  I presumed they'd go Edge > CB because Edge felt like the bigger and more vital need.  Their trade up to get JJ effectively made Thibs irrelevant (they clearly preferred JJ) and cost us any real chance to get the LB Chenel.  of course, it also seems clear they (the Jets) didn;t seen LB as the level of need that I did.

Max Mitchell over Kellen Diesch is 100% fine, I don't generally scout that level of late round guys.  I very much wanted a depth O-Tackle, and Diesch was the highest rated one that always seemed to be available in our later picks, so I listed him.  MM seems to be as good or better a prospect.

So overall I think I did better than I do most years (most years the Jets draft 0% of the guys I really want, lol). 

Hitting on Wilson/Hall and Ruckert makes me very happy, but the whole draft makes me happy. 

Only JJ is the guy I'm sorta "ok, fine, we'll see" about.  Not sure there weren;t other edges that will be as good, but again, minor quibble.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL POST:

1. Kayvon Thibodeaux, Edge

But Sauce Gardner CB, Aiden Hutchison, Edge or Ickey Ekwanu, OT, would all be acceptable as well.

1. Garrett Wilson, WR

Jameson Williams WR, Drake London, WR or George Karloftis, Edge, would all be acceptable as well.

2. Leo Chenel, LB

Nic Bonnitto, LB or Arnold Ebikete, Edge, or George Pickens, WR could be fine as well.

2. Breece Hall, RB

Kenneth Walker III, RB, or Jalen Pitre, CB, could be ok too.  Hall may be a "reach" here, but doubt he falls to 3rd.

3. Kellen Diesch, OT

Jalen Tolbert, WR or Marcus Jones, CB could be acceptable.

4. Jeremy Ruckert, TE

Dane Belton, S, Tysen Anderson, S or James Mitchell, TE could also work here.

4. 5. and 5. At this point I don't really have "favorites" per se, depends on who drops, who is available, who we already picked, just too many variables.  Lots guys I like down in this area, but "My" draft would depend on who we already got,

Good job, indeed.  I would never have predicted Ruckert with the two new TE's on the roster.  I like the player, but figured why would they get another TE ??? 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

The way the draft fell, I thought he might be the pick but I was generally the adamantly against the Jets drafting any OL in the first two rounds guy. I came around on the possibility of Sauce before the draft, though, and was good with it. Even better after they still got their Edge and WR. 

Yeah... What could be better ??? The CB and possibly the best ege in the draft.  And not to mention WR and RB.  I still don't believe what wen't down.  That was dream draft.  If the picks work out, JD will be legend.  

• Upvote 1

I was banging the “edge at 4, WR at 10” drum for months. I was irate when we passed on Thibodeaux only to see the Giants get him with the next pick. Garrett Wilson was my number one WR so I was happy at 10. Getting Johnson at 26 alleviated my Thibodeaux pain. Sauce, Wilson, JJ > Thibodeaux and Wilson. 

I was banging the Breece drum for a while too. Thrilled there. 

Overall I wanted to avoid Mac type picks early. For instance, “best player in the draft”, someone like Ickey who would literally be a depth player. Or interior D Line and Safety. Thank you Joe Douglas. Points (weaponz) and edge rush are what wins in the NFL. 

• Upvote 1

I was sure as I could be, that the first three picks would be Sauce - WR - Edge. Going this route was the key to unlocking as much value as we could in those first two round. 

Personally I predicted London and Ebiketie, instead of Wilson and Johnson, but I absolutely prefer who the Jets picked, even allowing for the premium paid to move up for Johnson. There's no other combination of Edge/WR at 4 and 10 and BPA at 35 and 69 that was better than what we ended up with. 

Like most, I had us taking Ruckert. 

Before the draft, I never really considered Breece Hall. Was looking at Allgeier, Robinson, Strong in the fourth. But just got a sense before the second round started that Hall may be on our radar. He just fitted the whole 'Let's do as much as can for Zach' belief that's obviously held within the building.

Thought linebacker and safety would have higher priorities than they were. I had us taking a linebacker in the third, safety in the fourth. But overall, I love our draft. Love it more than the 'Ideal Draft' I selected in advance. 

• Upvote 2

I posted back in March in the draft forum that if Hall was there at 38, I would take him and would consider taking him at 35.  I took a bit of heat for that from the "positional value" narrative guys and I could understand their points of view but when was the last time we had ELITE talent at running back?  I mean I like Michael Carter but does not strike me as an every down back.   Pair him with Hall and it seem he can be even more effective.  I thought Gardner was in play but only if KT were off the table.   The biggest shock has to be passing over KT.  I'm not sure if ANYONE saw that coming.

If Wilson was there at 10 I fully expected us to take him or trade back.  I really thought the Falcons was going to take him at 8 and we would either go with Williams/London or trade back.   

In some mocks I had us taking Ruckert in the 3rd and even 4th rounds.  But I began to think we would go with Jelani Woods instead.   

Obviously the JJ move took everyone by surprise.  When we passed on him at 10 I was expecting us to take someone like Mafe at 35.    I still am finding it hard to believe we wound up with Sauce, Wilson, JJ, Hall and Ruckert... 

• Upvote 2

I thought:

Hits:

- Sauce was a realistic pick at 4

- Jets would pass on KT

- Breece was in play in 2nd round

Misses

- Drake was Jets #1 receiver on their board

- LB and Safety would be drafted

- Jets would only be able to get 2 out of 3 top prospects across Receiver/Edge/CB 

• Upvote 1

I wanted Sauce at 4 and I figured we would take an edge instead. Glad it worked out the way it did. 

At 10 I wanted to double dop on defense with the LB that got hurt at the combine as I was pretty sure he woukd stay in the first round so was wrong there. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not gonna lie, my draft ideas were pretty accurate.

Although I didnt "want" sauce first, I know hes a legit talent so that one gets a mulligan....

JJ and Wilson were my top 2 and I got em

Breece in the second was also one that I wanted and got him

Ruckert, another one

I am REALLY REALLY REALLY happy they didnt spend an early pic on a safety, and they didnt. In fact woods and corker were my 5th rounders but we might just get em in udfa

wow amazing

• Upvote 1

Thought OL with caveat that Saunders wouldn’t be there though bought into the concept that Saleh “didn’t need” to draft CB high. Thought they would go OL then DE. WR in 2nd round 

1st four picks:

OL 

DE

WR

C or RB

Instead:

CB

WR

DE

RB

its interesting to think that if JD sat pat it could have gone two different ways:

#4 sauce

#10 wilson

#35 Hall

#38 best DE available 

or

#4. Sauce

#10 JJ

#35 Hall

#38 Best WR available 

plus we would have kept our 2 other picks. 

He would have still gotten 3 out of 4 of his top prospects 

25 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Obviously the JJ move took everyone by surprise.  When we passed on him at 10 I was expecting us to take someone like Mafe at 35.

I was not surprised. My girlfriend went to bed that night and I was like, the Jets have two high picks in the next round, and they’ve been dying to be aggressive. I could see them trading back into the first. Sure enough. Did not expect JJ to drop that far, though, that’s for sure. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Me too. Didn't think they'd draft another TE either.

I guess I'd better not quit may day job.

15 minutes ago, slats said:

I was not surprised. My girlfriend went to bed that night and I was like, the Jets have two high picks in the next round, and they’ve been dying to be aggressive. I could see them trading back into the first. Sure enough. Did not expect JJ to drop that far, though, that’s for sure. 

Same here. When JJ started dropping I said to my buddies I was watching with that the Jets were gonna trade up. This is why you accrue all of the draft picks. 

I expected: 

Gardner at 4

WR at 10

Trade up for an Edge

I also suspected that JJ was mostly draft pundit hype and that was right. 

I didn’t expect:

Breece Hall at 36. Although when I saw the first round I realized that they were in good enough position to take a RB. 

Their Senior Bowl team to mostly be ignore by the decision makers. 

• Upvote 1

1. I really wanted Ickey at #4 (b/c I thought JD was done with Becton), and I thought that was the pick. Sauce was my second option, and KT was my nightmare scenario. 

2. If no Deebo, I had Wilson at 10. JJ was my second option. I did not want London.

3. I would have never guessed they were coming back for JJ. 

4. I guessed Edge at 35 (or trade up a few picks). I was assuming it would be Ojabo or Karlaftis. 

5. I did not think Breece Hall would be an option for us.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Where I was wrong.

I read it the same way. Thought we wanted Sauce or and edge but had to go with Ickey.

Listening to JD, if Sauce was gone, it sounds like Ickey was next on their board. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I read it the same way. Thought we wanted Sauce or and edge but had to go with Ickey.

Listening to JD, if Sauce was gone, it sounds like Ickey was next on their board. 

I'm wondering if they actually think Becton will be serviceable or if they still have plans to unload him one way or the other.  Who would the tackles if that is the case ???

I did not expect a WR day 1.  Only guy I liked at 10 was Wilson, so I am not complaining, but I really thought we would wait until day 2 to address the offense.  I expected Sauce and an edge in R1, so I was not too far off.  And given the run on WRs from 8 - 18, JD made the right move.

I also assumed we would add an RB, but I never imagined we would take one in round 2, and especially after the trade up.  And I thought an off ball LB had to be a pick on day 2.  We are showing a lot of confidence in guys like Quincy Williams, Hamsah and Sherwood.

• Upvote 1

I felt early OL as a smokescreen made sense and that held up, although it was also probably in part how the board was structured and could’ve looked very dumb if Sauce went to Houston. Was happy with Sauce.

Thought this whole WR class was inflated and wasn’t comfortable with a lot of guys early, but it’s hard to figure out where you’re filling a need when the whole class is inflated. Wilson has a chance to be dynamic, I’m excited to see how he fits in, and the whole WR market is changing. It’ll be an interesting one.

I pushed back a lot on JJ at 4 and saw him as more of a mid-late first round guy. Given he fell I think that was in line with how the NFL viewed him but I was also perfectly content to see them take an athletic high motor guy at a premium position with pick 26.

I was on Breece Hall in the early second pretty early on in the process and think there’s a chance he’s the biggest impact rookie. He ticked a lot of boxes as a prospect, I think RB is too devalued now and will start to swing back the other way, and if the run game can be elite it’s huge for the team as a whole and Wilson’s development. After building the OL taking a step forward at RB made sense.

I have no idea what their board looked like but I thought iDL was in play. Seems like JJ was higher on their board than Davis but I do wonder where he was given the team JD came to the Jets from (Philadelphia) felt they needed to trade up ahead of the team JD spent the most time (Baltimore) to land him three picks after the Jets picked at ten. Felt like the right player and the right range. But glad how the draft shook out.

Thought this was a year to draft McGovern’s replacement and them doing nothing in the draft or UDFA for that was moderately annoying, but if that’s the big complaint the draft went pretty well.

• Upvote 1

incorrect thoughts: 

1) they wouldn't take a CB at 4

2) they wouldn't pass on Icky

correct (hopefully) thoughts 

1) The Jets passed on Thibs. He's the worst 

2) they needed to go WR1 early 

3) they needed an edge late rd1/early 2

4) They needed more at RB  

5) my draft binkie Jeremy Ruckert is (hopefully) a stud  - the George Kittle this offense needed

6) there was no Deebo Trade

pre draft all i said was if they pass on Thibs and get Ruckert I'll be happy. So I'm happy. Or whatever passes for that these days 

I used to write 1000 word articles about how great the jets did... this draft deserves 1000 word breakdown 

but I don't want to jinx it this time

16 minutes ago, Lith said:

I thought an off ball LB had to be a pick on day 2.  We are showing a lot of confidence in guys like Quincy Williams, Hamsah and Sherwood.

They do love Quincy. The Jets really don't run a 4-3 traditional.

They are running a 4-2-5. hence all those CBs 

• Upvote 1