Jets Draft Approach Bodes Well for These Five Players

Quincy-Williams-scaled.jpg

While Jets fans were busy celebrating what appears to be one of the team’s best ever draft classes (Yes, we know, on paper), there were surely a few Jets players celebrating for different reasons.

In looking over the Jets selections, it’s clear that they either had a great deal of confidence in some players who may not be household names, but could be significant contributors in the upcoming season.  Which players are we referring to?

DB Jason Pinnock: Drafted as a cornerback out of Pittsburgh, Pinnock didn’t see much of the field until later in the season.  When he finally saw some action, it was at safety where he started two games and looked surprisingly comfortable.  With very little experience at the position on the roster, some expected the Jets to take a safety in the draft, which they did not.  If Pinnock continues to grow at the position, the 2021 draft class will look that much better.

S Will Parks: The Jets added Parks, a six-year veteran, as the season came to a close.  In three games (2 starts), Parks played well enough for the Jets to bring him back this season.  And while it may “only” be voluntary workouts, Parks was voted leader of the DB group by teammates.  Pretty impressive for a guy who has only been with the team for a few weeks of regular season football.

My guys voted me leader of the group! No better feeling! Glory to God! I only been with organization a total of 4 weeks including last season! More work to do! #TakeFlight

— William (@PhillyWill11) April 21, 2022

DL Jonathan Marshall: The interior defensive line is another spot where many expected the Jets to add a body with a draft choice as Sheldon Rankins has just one year left on his deal and there’s little depth in place.  As it turns out, the Jets didn’t take a DT which bodes well for Marshall.  A player whose athleticism jumped out on game days in college, he’ll surely be hoping to make the leap from end of the bench to the regular rotation.

Jets rookie D-lineman Jonathan Marshall does as nice job of getting back in to position to make the tackle near the LOS after being moved off of his spot by the double team. Not a bad game for the rookie in a season-high 29 snaps. pic.twitter.com/Xw08DMV0DK

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) December 24, 2021

LB Quincy Williams: Williams delivered his fair share of highlight reel hits in 2021 and his return in some capacity was welcomed with open arms by Jets fans.  However, there were some questions as to whether or not the team would add a starting linebacker via the draft to get more consistent play at the position.  It turns out the Jets are just fine with Quincy for the time being.

LT Mekhi Becton: It feels silly to even mention Becton here, but some actually thought there was a chance the Jets had given up on the former 11th overall pick after just two seasons.  Surprise!  They haven’t.  Becton is still very much a part of the Jets plans and they showed that in passing on multiple premium tackles early on.

The post Jets Draft Approach Bodes Well for These Five Players appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 4

That’s the perspective we don’t have. The Jets coaches might be very excited about the safety and LB positions. They know their talent / techniques / their character inside and out compared to draftees and maybe they saw very little in the draft compared to what they already have. 

What we do know they were hot on JJ and Hall. They traded up for JJ and Hall - they better not bust - if they do bust you have to question Saleh and JD getting “too high” on a prospect.

16 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Really wish there was a bigger sample size for Pinnock and Parks.  Safety is probably my biggest concern at this point.

we've also got Joyner and Whitehead... The secondary is the least of my concerns on defense now. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Paradis said:

we've also got Joyner and Whitehead... The secondary is the least of my concerns on defense now. 

Happy with Whitehead but Joyner as of now is a one-year stop gap/complete unknown.

29 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Really wish there was a bigger sample size for Pinnock and Parks.  Safety is probably my biggest concern at this point.

If your biggest concern is one of the least important positions in the sport, that’s probably a good thing. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, JetNation said:

DL Jonathan Marshall: The interior defensive line is another spot where many expected the Jets to add a body with a draft choice as Sheldon Rankins has just one year left on his deal and there’s little depth in place.  As it turns out, the Jets didn’t take a DT which bodes well for Marshall.  A player whose athleticism jumped out on game days in college, he’ll surely be hoping to make the leap from end of the bench to the regular rotation.

Jets rookie D-lineman Jonathan Marshall does as nice job of getting back in to position to make the tackle near the LOS after being moved off of his spot by the double team. Not a bad game for the rookie in a season-high 29 snaps. pic.twitter.com/Xw08DMV0DK

Would be great if JM could solidify the IDL.

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They traded up for AVT last year…supposedly giving up too much to do so…and it worked out OK.

This team had limited roster spots.  You’re only allowed to carry 90 players on your roster entering camp and the Jets had 81 of those spots filled entering the draft.  Thus, they decided to use their massive draft capital to aggressively move up for players they wanted badly.  

I don’t hate the approach.  Had they stayed put, they’d have no spots available for UDFAs and would have had to cut some players already on the roster that they like. 

I agree about AVT. That’s a huge feather in their cap. Let’s hope lightning strikes 2 more times. 

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They traded up for AVT last year…supposedly giving up too much to do so…and it worked out OK.

This team had limited roster spots.  You’re only allowed to carry 90 players on your roster entering camp and the Jets had 81 of those spots filled entering the draft.  Thus, they decided to use their massive draft capital to aggressively move up for players they wanted badly.  

I don’t hate the approach.  Had they stayed put, they’d have no spots available for UDFAs and would have had to cut some players already on the roster that they like. 

They added four Day One starters who are not only upgrades on the Jets, but would be upgrades on the majority of teams in the NFL. For people crying about wins and JD “being what his record is,” they should be happy because this was clearly an aggressive approach to get better from the top down. I do not believe these guys are on the hot seat but, obviously, getting close to .500 would do a lot to quiet the vocal minority who enjoy bitching most of all. Dude gets a lot of grief, but I think @Joe W. Namath has expressed the plan pretty well. This year, the goal is developing Zach Wilson and looking respectable while doing it. If they do that well, players will not be laughing at the prospect of joining the Jets next year in free agency, they’ll want to be a part of what’s cooking here. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, slats said:

They added four Day One starters who are not only upgrades on the Jets, but would be upgrades on the majority of teams in the NFL. For people crying about wins and JD “being what his record is,” they should be happy because this was clearly an aggressive approach to get better from the top down. I do not believe these guys are on the hot seat but, obviously, getting close to .500 would do a lot to quiet the vocal minority who enjoy bitching most of all. Dude gets a lot of grief, but I think @Joe W. Namath has expressed the plan pretty well. This year, the goal is developing Zach Wilson and looking respectable while doing it. If they do that well, players will not be laughing at the prospect of joining the Jets next year in free agency, they’ll want to be a part of what’s cooking here. 

Not sure why there can't be a happy medium to this lol.  I'm as jazzed up about the draft as anyone - wore my Jets hat on the subway / walking down Broadway on the way to work today.  I'm thrilled about the Jets' direction for once.

I'm also as snakebitten as can be and ready to be happy about wins on the damn field.

The Jets make the playoffs, or they don’t, based on how the QB plays.  It is all about Wilson.

Wilson may have more upside than Mac Jones, and he would rather have him than Trey Lance or Justin Fields, but I think with Mac Jones this is a playoff team.

Unfortunately, the Jets, as an organization, has passed on many of the QBs that are top QBs in the AFC and NFL.  

Following the Min and TB model, building the team and then filling In the QB is not a bad one.  Hopefully Wilson works out.  

2 hours ago, Cyberjet said:

That’s the perspective we don’t have. The Jets coaches might be very excited about the safety and LB positions. They know their talent / techniques / their character inside and out compared to draftees and maybe they saw very little in the draft compared to what they already have. 

What we do know they were hot on JJ and Hall. They traded up for JJ and Hall - they better not bust - if they do bust you have to question Saleh and JD getting “too high” on a prospect.

Hopefully the D looked so bad last year because of the struggles on O. If the O now can become more consistent that should help the D immensly just by that alone along with of all the FA and Draft picks on D the Jets added.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, JetNation said:

Quincy-Williams-scaled.jpg

While Jets fans were busy celebrating what appears to be one of the team’s best ever draft classes (Yes, we know, on paper), there were surely a few Jets players celebrating for different reasons.

In looking over the Jets selections, it’s clear that they either had a great deal of confidence in some players who may not be household names, but could be significant contributors in the upcoming season.  Which players are we referring to?

DB Jason Pinnock: Drafted as a cornerback out of Pittsburgh, Pinnock didn’t see much of the field until later in the season.  When he finally saw some action, it was at safety where he started two games and looked surprisingly comfortable.  With very little experience at the position on the roster, some expected the Jets to take a safety in the draft, which they did not.  If Pinnock continues to grow at the position, the 2021 draft class will look that much better.

S Will Parks: The Jets added Parks, a six-year veteran, as the season came to a close.  In three games (2 starts), Parks played well enough for the Jets to bring him back this season.  And while it may “only” be voluntary workouts, Parks was voted leader of the DB group by teammates.  Pretty impressive for a guy who has only been with the team for a few weeks of regular season football.

My guys voted me leader of the group! No better feeling! Glory to God! I only been with organization a total of 4 weeks including last season! More work to do! #TakeFlight

— William (@PhillyWill11) April 21, 2022

LB Quincy Williams: Williams delivered his fair share of highlight reel hits in 2021 and his return in some capacity was welcomed with open arms by Jets fans.  However, there were some questions as to whether or not the team would add a starting linebacker via the draft to get more consistent play at the position.  It turns out the Jets are just fine with Quincy for the time being.

LT Mekhi Becton: It feels silly to even mention Becton here, but some actually thought there was a chance the Jets had given up on the former 11th overall pick after just two seasons.  Surprise!  They haven’t.  Becton is still very much a part of the Jets plans and they showed that in passing on multiple premium tackles early on.

The post Jets Draft Approach Bodes Well for These Five Players appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

The power of the arm bar Marshall used on that C to make him look like a ragdoll on that tweet is impressive!

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

Happy with Whitehead but Joyner as of now is a one-year stop gap/complete unknown.

He looked pretty good going into last year, just had a lousy injury in game 1 that took him out.

I know its easy to get on Becton but really if he goes to the right side and becomes dominant or even just starter material, it would open so many doors for further roster building in FA or draft next year. If he ends up being a wash then that's a major position that needs prioritization. In an ideal world he crushes it and next year we can focus on building up that run defense with DL, upper echelon LB (Noah Sewell or Simpson ex), or any other hole that reveals itself more this coming season. Its back to reality with only one pick in each of the first 3 rounds in 2023 

On paper the Jets did well.  They had lots of picks and they seemed to nail them.

The list above though shows that they didn't solve every issue, nor could they be expected to.

In an ideal world the Jets would have gotten an OT earlier, they would have gotten a FS who could compete to start, a LB (or two) and run-stopping DT.  They probably head into next offseason with those being the biggest needs as of now.  But again, even with 4 high picks you can't solve every problem and while guys like Pinnock, Marshall, Becton, Quincy Williams, etc. might be getting additional chances because they Jets couldn't hit Safety, LB, OT, etc. other guys are going to see that this Draft doesn't bode well for them.  We could have another post titled...

"Jets Draft Approach DOESN'T Bode Well for These Five Players" and list guys like Mims, Jeff Smith, La'Michael Perine, Ty Johnson, Vinny Curry, etc.

4 hours ago, section314 said:

He looked pretty good towards the end of the year when he got into the rotation. Seems like they are expecting him to take the next step.

Yep - Don’t forget they absolutely love Nathan Shephard - or at least they rave about the “strain” he exhibits.  

They didn’t pay him a lot, but after the stupid penalties early in the season he played really well down the stretch.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, jNYC1 said:

Yep - Don’t forget they absolutely love Nathan Shephard - or at least they rave about the “strain” he exhibits.  

They didn’t pay him a lot, but after the stupid penalties early in the season he played really well down the stretch.

Older guy but an effort guy and overachiever. When you think about it he’s really the type of guy Saleh and these Jets like even if he’s lacking somewhat in talent. Will always have a shot to keep the 8th or 9th DL spot on a team like this.

6 hours ago, slats said:

If your biggest concern is one of the least important positions in the sport, that’s probably a good thing. 

Depends on who the safety is. Lott, Polamuna, Woodson, Lynch, Reed etc. These guys were all the glue that kept their defenses together. But our new safeties this year bc are a naked improvement from last year so i’m feeling good ? 

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I see your point, but we didn't win many games last year. With the draft capitol we had we could have put some serious players on this team. There was great value in both rounds 2 and 3. That said I'm also very happy with this draft, and will root as had as ever.

20 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

I see your point, but we didn't win many games last year. With the draft capitol we had we could have put some serious players on this team. There was great value in both rounds 2 and 3. That said I'm also very happy with this draft, and will root as had as ever.

Obviously they expect this team to take a big leap this year.  Thus, quantity over quality approach.  

EDIT:  Quality over quantity.  Thanks @68JET11, lol

• Upvote 1

Just now, RESNewYork said:

really hoping Pinnock finds his way to a starting safety role. It would be nice to have a long athletic player in the middle of the field. Tested really well athletically.

Pinnock is built like a rock. PinnRock. Very athletic. Just needs to play and gain experience. Saleh may have just found a hidden gem.