Max Mitchell a Possible Stud?!

PFF BIG BOARD RANK

HEIGHT
6' 6"

WEIGHT

CLASS
Jr.

"Mitchell was the highest-graded tackle in all of college football in 2021. He earned a 94.8 overall grade while playing right tackle for the Ragin' Cajuns after allowing only 13 pressures across 430 pass-blocking snaps."

Career Highlights
Allowed 1 pressures on 47 pass-blocking snaps while playing both LT and RT vs. Texas (2021)
90+ overall grade in five of 13 games (2021)

'21 '20 '19
LT 17 87 314
LG 0 0 83
C 0 0 0
RG 0 0 0
RT 859 546 394

'21 '20 '19
OFFENSE SNAPS 879 636 807
RUN BLOCK SNAPS 449 339 422
PASS BLOCK SNAPS 430 297 385
SACKS 3 0 2
HITS 1 0 4
HURRIES 9 1 9

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Seemed like a value pick.  When i was in the mock for the Seahawks he was high on my list, even considering him in the 3rd.  I switched to the Raiders and Mitchell was off my board for more power man schemes.  He needs more sand in his pants (I think that is how Parcells put it) but pff likea him a bunch.  I think they had him top 70.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Just a backup guys

In 2021 perhaps.

Alot will depend on him, and what happens to Fant/Becton in terms of 2022.

Be enjoyable to watch some real battles for starting jobs for a change, instead of lamenting of near-total lack of depth.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

In 2021 perhaps.

Alot will depend on him, and what happens to Fant/Becton in terms of 2022.

Be enjoyable to watch some real battles for starting jobs for a change, instead of lamenting of near-total lack of depth.

Yes, I agree. A 4th round pick at a position without a current penciled in starter will compete to play as a rookie. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Honestly, the biggest knock I consistently see against him is his strength.  That’s something that can be easily aided.  Mot everyone has to be a mauler.  Just get strong enough to not get rag dolled.  I don’t know anything about him other than what I’ve read, but give me a fluid athlete with a good gram at OT every day of the week.  Mold him over time and you may have something.

Great point. Just about the least thing an OL coach would worry about. 1st day of rookie camp  " hi Max, this is your new best friend, our strength and conditioning coach."

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Honestly, the biggest knock I consistently see against him is his strength.  That’s something that can be easily aided.  Mot everyone has to be a mauler.  Just get strong enough to not get rag dolled.  I don’t know anything about him other than what I’ve read, but give me a fluid athlete with a good gram at OT every day of the week.  Mold him over time and you may have something.

Strength is definitely his weakness. He also lacks pop in his hands. He's great at attaching to his target but the difference bewteen a zone blocker who's projected as a 1st and one projected as a 3rd rounder is sustainability on those blocks. Two seconds after the initial pop, the defender has a high chance of shedding that block whereas Ekwonu has them locked on for a potiential pancakes block. 

What to like about him is that he's well polished and aware. He doesn't make much or if any mental errors. If the execution wasn't to your liking it wasn't the result of him being fooled whether in pass protection or run blocking. He's not going to drive those big boys back in the trenches but he'll definitely wall them off. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

100%. He is however, surprisingly quick and athletic, which is nice to see. His technique is not great but its also not terrible. I'm not an expert but it seems like he needs to 'lunge' less and learn how to anchor better. Mostly footwork stuff, his hand usage seems pretty good. He's a work in progress. This is exactly the type of guy you see go in Rd. 4. At 6'6, 307, with length and athleticism this is a nice value pick who fits the zone blocking scheme. And the stats and tape look promising. This isn't all projection. The kid can play and will compete for depth snaps with Edoga and McDermott right off the get go.   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Classic swing tackle backup every roster needs. Love the pick 

Exactly.  A backup swing OT who, with a little luck, might put on some weight and grow into a potential RT.  That would be the upside for him I think, a "good enough" RT that is a bit of a hold-the-fort guy.  If he's playing next to AVT and might have someone like Ruckert outside him on rushing plays I think he'd be fine.  Just not a difference maker.

At the spot he was taken, nice choice.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Held up well vs Texas. Seems to be the usual tall but lean, agile tackle that's more of a mover then a bruiser.

If he sticks he could probably fill his frame out more. At 6 foot 6 inches being 307 lbs likely can allow you to tack on more weight, but just enough to not make him sluggish and less agile.

We need alot more draft picks like Max Mitchell. Things you can't change like Height/Arm Length are good. Lots of work in zone scheme. Just needs to add muscle and sit on the bench and improve his technique this year. 

Perfect setup that likely gets us a starter at RT next year. Im guessing if Fant is not extended -Becton flips to LT and Mitchell to RT next year which is a great setup for us.