Psyched for this season.

We all knew last year was the "throw the rookie qb to the wolves" year while watching a few promising FA signings and rookies.  Unfortunately, literally everything went wrong, with injuries being the worst part.

Really hoping our starters at premium positions (tackle, edge, wr) can make it through the year with minimal injuries.  That and hopefully Zach doesn't absolutely suck.

This draft was amazing.  I think the TEAM more than any individual  PLAYER has potential.  Good receivers make good QBs look great and vice versa.  Our D is going to turn some heads.  I think we have the pieces to be good and perhaps very good.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Blue Print said:

I think we make great steps forward this year.

I would hope so, but yes, that seems a reasonable ask.

I think we win 12. Maybe more if we get very lucky.

That does not seem very likely.

what an amazing draft.

Indeed.  Most hope-inspiring one I can recall.

If this team gels we could be very good for a very long time.

That's the hope behind "build through the draft".

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The rebuild ended at the end of this draft.

At this point the close to the entire roster and every starting job has been turned over by JD with JD hand-picked players.

The 2022 Jets ARE JD's "rebuilt" Jets.

So no more talk of rebuild at this point, it's simply not accurate going forward.

Disagree.  We need 1 more draft to complete the rebuild.  The offense is completely rebuilt.  We need a stud LB, a run stuffing DT and a stud safety.  Then both sides will be completely rebuilt.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Blue Print said:

I knew last year would be brutal.  I think we make great steps forward this year.  I think we win 12. Maybe more if we get very lucky.

what an amazing draft.  If this team gels we could be very good for a very long time.

Please find a dictionary and look for the meaning of INSANITY. 

16 minutes ago, JETSY14 said:

Please find a dictionary and look for the meaning of INSANITY. 

Don’t need a picture of you.

I may be wrong, but I’ll enjoy the season a whole lot more than you do.

I firmly believe that you ENJOY the high points, which this draft was, rather than wallow in pessimism.

But you do you.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Blue Print said:

I knew last year would be brutal.  I think we make great steps forward this year.  I think we win 12. Maybe more if we get very lucky.

what an amazing draft.  If this team gels we could be very good for a very long time.

12 is pushing it. Will be extremely happy with a winning record of 9 or 10 wins. Would even not too disappointed with an 8-9 record if most of the losses are very competitive i.e like the Bucs and Bills games at the end of last year, and we are still in the conversation of a WC spot after Thanksgiving.  

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Disagree.  We need 1 more draft to complete the rebuild.  The offense is completely rebuilt.  We need a stud LB, a run stuffing DT and a stud safety.  Then both sides will be completely rebuilt.

If Wilson shows to be a FQB with All this new talent, a definite possibility, going by the way he tightened up his game in so many ways, beat the GOAT and the 4th ranked D for 59 and 1/2 minutes playing with Berrios as his #1 and no RBs.....all they’ll need to do is marginal tweaking if that’s the case.

I watched the draft on NFL Net and taped ESPN, which I just fast forwarded to just now for just the Jet picks.  They were drawing parallels between Garrett Wilson and Lynn Swann, and it didn’t even look that far fetched.

Douglas has hooked up Zach Wilson in a phenomenal way, almost overnight.  I think he’ll thrive.

• Upvote 2

Look, I'm excited as the next guy...But this team was absolutely awful last year.

They've certainly added a lot of key pieces. But likely 5 of the 11 offensive starters will be new.   Likely 5 of the 11 defensive starters will be new. This will still be the youngest team in the NFL. Last year was the most injured team in the NFL...In addition to all of that there are still an incredible amount of question marks. 

• Can Moore play 17 games? Is he what we hope, he was not good early, looked solid later, then got hurt.  What is he?
  • All of the rookies - we really don't know what they'll be - as we all know - guys bust all the time.  Even universally praised ones
  • Lawson - how's the leg?
  • Becton? 
  • Does AVT make the jump from average?
  • Zach?
  • Do the FA's check out now that they've been paid?
  • Mosley? Is he completely done?
  • Do we have a DC that knows what he's doing now that he has talent?

Here's what I'll say...

If all of those things fall in the positive category and they get a few breaks- this team can absolutely win 12 games .  The NFL is a funny thing like that.  Teams turn around fast...

But this team can also win 5 or 6 if most of them don't.  

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Look, I'm excited as the next guy...But this team was absolutely awful last year.

They've certainly added a lot of key pieces. But likely 5 of the 11 offensive starters will be new.   Likely 5 of the 11 defensive starters will be new. This will still be the youngest team in the NFL. Last year was the most injured team in the NFL...In addition to all of that there are still an incredible amount of question marks. 

• Can Moore play 17 games? Is he what we hope, he was not good early, looked solid later, then got hurt.  What is he?
  • All of the rookies - we really don't know what they'll be - as we all know - guys bust all the time.  Even universally praised ones
  • Lawson - how's the leg?
  • Becton? 
  • Does AVT make the jump from average?
  • Zach?
  • Do the FA's check out now that they've been paid?
  • Mosley? Is he completely done?
  • Do we have a DC that knows what he's doing now that he has talent?

Here's what I'll say...

If all of those things fall in the positive category and they get a few breaks- this team can absolutely win 12 games .  The NFL is a funny thing like that.  Teams turn around fast...

But this team can also win 5 or 6 if most of them don't.  

Sure there is still lots to prove on the field, I totally agree.  But if All 3 1st Rd draft picks just taken prove themselves to be legitimate Top 8 picks on All teams boards, not just Douglas’s.  That’s a serious injection of franchise changing talent.

This team has had about 1 NFL quality TE over what?  The last 20 YEARS (Keller)?  That’s insane.  Think about the idiots running this team not too long ago...”TE?..nah don’t need any,  RB?  We’ll try to get one in the 5th Rd, OL?  We’ll wait and see who other teams cut....DT’s that’s what we want, can’t have enough”.

Now they might have 3 NFL quality TE’s.

Hall and Michael Carter in the backfield with the TEs.  Those are some serious security blankets for Wilson.

WR room looking real good.

OL very solid.

DB’s seriously beefed up with maybe a perennial All Pro at one Corner.

Might be seeing the pass rush get home way more this year.

Jets aren’t going to be fun for anyone to play, and should be competitive on virtually a weekly basis. That’s the first step for young teams turning into playoff teams.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

At this point the close to the entire roster and every starting job has been turned over by JD with JD hand-picked players.

So no more talk of rebuild at this point, it's simply not accurate going forward.

Agree. JD has done a first rate job. Now time to see what the teachers are made of. I have high hopes.

• Upvote 1

I'm more psyched for this season than I've been since fat Rex. JD looks to have hit on the past two drafts and has plugged holes in FA. The Jets have a chance to look like a real NFL team and put together 7 wins and with the tough schedule that will be acceptable, especially if they keep the blowout loses to one or two games.

Also looking forward to Saleh's D being aggressive and trusting Reed and Gardner in man coverage while bringing pressure.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Blue Print said:

Don’t need a picture of you.

I may be wrong, but I’ll enjoy the season a whole lot more than you do.

I firmly believe that you ENJOY the high points, which this draft was, rather than wallow in pessimism.

But you do you.

3 rookie starters will make us a playoff team and we will have the same record as the chiefs rams and  cowboys had  last year... Got it.. Does that mean we will be in the superbowl in another 2 or 3 years??

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Rebuilds aren't about achieving perfection at every position.

They're about returning to competitiveness.

The entire roster has been turned over,  or near enough to it, and we absolutely have the talent-level to be a competitive team in 2022.

There will always be needs.  Having them doesn't mean we're "rebuilding".

• Upvote 2

this was the target year for me all along. this is the end of the five 1st rd picks in 3 years which is plenty to get this team winning 8 games. then you add if the draft where we just got the best CB, RB and maybe WR as some people had Wilson that high, in college football. and one of the top TEs. 

the rebuild is over. the wining needs to start. there is no excuse for us not to win 8 games. well unless Wilson sucks. at least there is enough weapons here to find that out this year so we dont have to waste a 3rd year on him. 

If the QB steps up, this team should be on par with the Pats and Miami this year. No more excuses.This isn’t a 5-6 win roster anymore.

I don’t want to hear about our “schedule”. Next year we play the AFC West, are we going to pass on ‘23 also? That’s a loser mentality. It’s time to start looking like a competent NFL team.

Win 8-9 games and go 3-3 in the division. I’ll give Buffalo two wins but we need to make a statement this year against the other two teams. I’m sick of hearing you guys make fun of Tua and Jones while they kick our butts..

not to rain on the parade but they still need to play as a team.  we're going to finding out a lot the coaches and how they can get the players in the right position, put the players where they play the best, call those timely misdirection plays, and, maybe above all, keep the team healthy and free of lost games due to injury.  it's a lot to expect but that's why these guys get the big bucks. of course douglas still has lots of work to do by continuing to look for players that upgrade or provide better depth than what they have.  lb is still a question mark as is oline depth.

14 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We are in month 16 of a ground up rebuild.  We are waaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of schedule because of the mastery of trades, free agents and the draft by Joe Douglas.  This is going to be a very exciting year.  I see btwn 7-9 wins and if a few balls bounce our way, we could win double digits and a playoff birth.

We have come a long way since week 4 of last year where half this board wanted Mike Lafluer fired because we didnt look like the 1984 49ers.  HAHAHAAHAHAHHAA

13 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Probably getting down to semantics but I think you're caught between the rebuild and team maturity.  The roster is rebuilt.  They've turned over almost the entire roster, the only holdovers on the entire team are Q.Will and Mosley.  That said, it's a very young team so there is still going to be a ton of growing pains.  I'd assume, the Jets still have the youngest roster and least experienced roster in the NFL.  Potentially 4 rookie starters and what, 5-6 2nd year starters on the roster and the only one who played a full season was AVT?  So it's not a matter of still rebuilding, it's now a matter of developing the young talent.  The board is pushing the cart way before the horse, we have no idea how this class turns out, it could very easily take another year for this all to gel and all the young players to find their own.  And the biggest factor here is Wilson.  If Wilson continues to blow hard, none of this matters as it will it will not only slow down the maturation process but also, put them in a tough spot because you cant afford to waste all this good momentum on 1 player.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

I wondered where we are now at with the "laying the foundation" stage, so I thought I'd go through our roster (starters / rotation guys, not going into the full 53)

OL - 2 draft picks & 3 FA by JD

QB - draft pick by JD

RB - 2 draft picks by JD

WR - 3 draft picks, 2 FA by JD

TE - 1 draft pick, 2 FA by JD

So on offense only a bit of "depth" remains from prior

DL - 1 draft pick, 2 FA by JD; 1 draft pick from Macc

LB - 2 draft picks & 1 FA by JD; 1 FA by Macc

CB - several draft picks & 1 FA by JD

S - draft picks & FA all by JD

Other than Mosley and Q I think we're all JD on defense?

Now I'm not going to say that we're "done" - not all the draft picks will pan out (looking at you Denzel!). Many FA pick ups were "hold the fort" guys. We're still lacking depth in many areas.

But this is now a JD roster through and through. Time for the coaching staff and the players to show what they can do.

image.png.b95c5b56d3238d4ff289c28db2b24596.png

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

Now I'm not going to say that we're "done"

No team is ever "done".  Even Super Bowl winning teams aren't done.

Nor is my point that the "rebuild is over" mean we must do X Y or Z this year or else.

It means "we're rebuilding, we can lose and it's ok because we're rebuilding, because JD inherited..." is no longer a valid argument.

We'll all set our own expectations for what we think "should" happen in 2022.  Based on the team and roster.

But any attempt to excuse or otherwise dismiss issues as "we're rebuilding" should, in a fair world, be laughed off the forum en masse.

• Upvote 1