OurLads pencils in Jets' first 4 Draft picks as starters

KEEP FANT LEFT

MOVE BECTON RIGHT

Other than that, who knows.  One thing I noticed last year from this coaching staff... they are not afraid to play rookies, but are also not afraid to pull players, in stark contrast to previous staffs.  No Pierre Desirs, Trumaine Johnsons kept out on the field continuously getting burned.  Sherwood and Nasirildeen, albeit injured, were replaced quickly and permanently because they struggled.  I have a feeling these rookies are going to have to earn any starting spots (hopefully that's not difficult for them)

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, NYJetsVets91 said:

So our base defense is a 4-2-5 now? I guess that's what happens when you only have 2 starting ILBs..

Jermaine Johnson is going to play LB and on passing downs he will move to DE and be replaced by a D Back a position in which we are now loaded. You will also see Jermaine run blitzing a lot from the LB position and blitzing the QB as well. He is going to be a terror. This kid is not a one trick pony Edge and that's why the Jets were trying so hard from pick 15 to move up and get him.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

4 hours ago, NYJetsVets91 said:

So our base defense is a 4-2-5 now? I guess that's what happens when you only have 2 starting ILBs..

We played a bunch of "big nickel" last year already - it's why we drafted a those LB / S "tweeners" last year.

Many teams play more nickel formations almost as their base package because of the prevalence of spread packages and 1 RB / no FB formations. 

• Upvote 2

And Ruckert probably would’ve made five starters if they hadn’t picked up the two TEs in free agency. I expect him to see the field quite a bit. I could see him as Uzomah’s primary backup while Conklin holds down more of an H-back role. He’ll be on the field before Conklin in 12 personnel in the running game, probably. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, NYJetsVets91 said:

Teams play more nickel than base 4-3.

I believe they were in nickel about 2/3 of the time last year.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, ZachStepdad said:

JFM has to start over Rankins at DT and I’ll move Hall/Reed to FS…. Cannot have Davis starting and Riley shouldn’t even be near the turf he’s ****in ass gave up that winning touchdown vs Tampa last year

I agree on JFM. Glad to see they have Solomon Thomas with the DTs, too, that’s where I’d put him. Reed is one of their starting outside CBs, so he’s not moving. I could see them working Hall at FS, just to get their best players on the field. Pinnock, too, should be with the safeties. It wouldn’t surprise me if he was the opening day starter over Davis. I imagine there will be some creativity with their dime packages. 

It’s gonna be interesting to see who makes the roster on the DL. They have a lot of bodies there. I still don’t get the Vinny Curry move. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

The base offense in the NFL is 11 personnel, the base defense is the nickel. It’s been that way for quite some time now. The Jets have been in their Neanderthal 3-4 run defense since since Parcells first installed it (and deemed Hugh Douglas useless in it). Saleh is bringing the team into the 21st century, albeit a couple decades late. When they bring in a weakside LB, that’s a substitution package now. Although, they list 12 starting positions on offense, they might as well do that on defense, too. Nasrilideen and Sherwood are both really more weakside guys than backups to Mosley and Williams. 

good points.  the only issue i have is that we still don't know what the jets have with Nasrildeen and sherwood.  they didn't get on the field much last season.  i don't think we need to be too worried about the run defense.  the run game was pretty lame for both superbowl teams and those defenses were similar.

9 hours ago, NYJetsVets91 said:

I think something like 60% of all snaps league-wide have defenses playing in the nickel defense. So first down may be a 4-3-4, but more often than not, that 3rd LB is coming off the field on 2nd/3rd downs since you're facing so much 11 personnel.

It sort of makes sense that a team wouldn't invest heavily in a traditional third linebacker, and rather, finding bigger hybrid lb/db types who can bridge the gap and probably get paid less in the long run. 

Its another reason Im excited to see the Jets have a TE group of CJ, Conklin, and Ruckert.  As more teams go more heavily nickel, an effective 12 personnel package could do some damage. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

The base offense in the NFL is 11 personnel, the base defense is the nickel. It’s been that way for quite some time now. The Jets have been in their Neanderthal 3-4 run defense since since Parcells first installed it (and deemed Hugh Douglas useless in it). Saleh is bringing the team into the 21st century, albeit a couple decades late. When they bring in a weakside LB, that’s a substitution package now. Although, they list 12 starting positions on offense, they might as well do that on defense, too. Nasrilideen and Sherwood are both really more weakside guys than backups to Mosley and Williams. 

Agreed on all points. 

The traditional depth chart should really be expanded to show more positions and cover all situations.  Some sites get more in-depth with that than others.

9 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Jermaine Johnson is going to play LB and on passing downs he will move to DE and be replaced by a D Back a position in which we are now loaded. You will also see Jermaine run blitzing a lot from the LB position and blitzing the QB as well. He is going to be a terror. This kid is not a one trick pony Edge and that's why the Jets were trying so hard from pick 15 to move up and get him.

I had no idea he could be used that way.  Hope you're right and I hope it works.  I'm pumped.    

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, NYJetsVets91 said:

Well, Saleh runs a Wide 9 as a base (as I understand it). Which is essentially a type of 4-3 formation that requires speedy LBs to fill gaps and be able to run sideline to sideline while the D-linemen occupies the O-line and attacks the QB.

The 4-2-5 required safety/hybrid LBs that can play a similar role. We really only have one true ILB (Mosley). The rest are for the most part Safeties and Safety/OLB hybrids along with a few Edge/LB hybrids. And I think for the types of formations Saleh uses- Wide 9, 4-2-5, Nickel, Cover 1 & 3, you want these types of players. Mainly guys with speed that can cover in both man and zone while still having the ability to bring down a RB in the open field (unlike say a CB). And then, you want LBs that can also be Edge defenders and rush the passer, which is so critical to this defense- like Jacob Martin and Jermaine Johnson. 

Based on the draft and their FA moves, I think the Jets are just fine with NOT having a traditional group of LBs. I don't think they are forming their defensive strategy around lack of talent at certain positions. I just think they plan on using players in slightly unique ways to best execute their defensive scheme. TBD on how that works out.      

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

It also doesn't help the run defense having LB's < 220 lbs soaking wet...

That was last year.  I would expect that Sherwood and Nasirildeen have added a few pounds with a full year to prepare for the move to LB.  Nasirildeen is 6'4 so he already has the frame to add 10 or 15 pounds.   I can see Sherwood also around 230 maybe 235.  The weight isn't the issue as much as can they actually make the move to lb.   This is where the coaching comes in.  Don't forget that Nasirildeen had a 2nd or 3rd round grade before his injury.  I am very interested to see how he looks in camp this summer.  Sherwood was a favorite of Saleh in terms of his Football IQ.  I hope he can translate that onto the field this year.   I do agree that we could have use a real "thumper" at LB like a Leo Chanel.  Don't forget they also get back Jared Davis who also missed almost all of last season. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Just one opinion on the depth chart, but if rookies end up taking 18% of starting roles in a year that's a jumpstart.  Especially after rookies took over 14-18% of starting roles last year as well.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/NYJ

OurLads.thumb.png.0057b9dddff2670289101150519f5c7b.png

The youth movement continues.

OurLads really going out on a limb here. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

I agree on JFM. Glad to see they have Solomon Thomas with the DTs, too, that’s where I’d put him. Reed is one of their starting outside CBs, so he’s not moving. I could see them working Hall at FS, just to get their best players on the field. Pinnock, too, should be with the safeties. It wouldn’t surprise me if he was the opening day starter over Davis. I imagine there will be some creativity with their dime packages. 

It’s gonna be interesting to see who makes the roster on the DL. They have a lot of bodies there. I still don’t get the Vinny Curry move. 

Vinny Curry - Only thing I could come up with is he’s insurance in case of training camp injury. Otherwise, if everyone is healthy, I don't see him making the 53 man roster.

Does Hall have experience at FS? Does MC2 have experience at FS? I know the coaches decided to fully transition Pinnock out there. Can Reed play the slot? Or is Reed’s best position outside corner?

Fascinating to see what Saleh is going to cook up.

I’m also really curious if Wilson or Moore get featured more in the slot or on the outside? I know they’ll alternate. But Im thinking Wilson is going to be our jet sweep guy and the guy we throw screens to. He’s a much better yac guy.

3 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I had no idea he could be used that way.  Hope you're right and I hope it works.  I'm pumped.    

He very well can be used that way but it does not mean the Jets will do that. He can play the LB position very well and he is even more valuable because of that.....then players who can only play 1 position and are in a rotation. If they move him to LB from time to time that would allow us to play both Lawson and Huff as DE's while Johnson can be moved all over the field , used in blitz packages and pick up RB's TE's in short coverage. Like I said this is how I envision him playing in the defense based on the fact the Jets coaching staff loves versatile players who can do more than just one thing.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I thought this thread topic was an advertisement for OurLads branded pencils, and how they're even in the hands of the Jets' top 4 draft picks because they're so good. 

Much disappointment. 

Pencil companies missed a real branding opportunity with Odell Beckham last year. “Just like Odell, we like # 2’s the best”