Narrative around Jets changing - now a possible destination?

Rightfully so the Jets have been a team that top tier free agents steered clear of, leveraged to get better deals elsewhere, etc.  We've talked about all the reasons why there's a Jets tax.

There seems to be something brewing and it got me thinking - could the narrative of the Jets be changing (I know we haven't won anything yet) and will that enable us to get free agents that wouldn't even consider us in the past?

That's another positive outcome from having a front office/coaching staff that are making good decisions.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Speaking of changing.  To go along with this magnificent draft, what they should change is the uniform.  Ditch the current half-baked joke of a uni and go back to the slick, clean and super handsome legacy uni.  Those all whites are the sharpest uni in the league and they look like a uni a pro team should be wearing.  

This.

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

That’s true Big Kev, yet hate to say it but it does feel little  different this time. Once training camp starts   I’m taking a hiatus and you guys will have to tell me when it’s safe to come back. Training camp tore out my soul last year! 

Z Wilson's first incompletion / INT ... G Wilson's first drop ... someone catching a ball against Sauce ... the overreactions will be glorious! ?

Oh, and anytime Becton rests for 5 minutes or sits out a drill.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Players want to play for teams that have real, competitive QBs.  

Zach Wilson was bouncing screen passes last year.

If Zach Wilson can be decent, like Jimmy G decent, with the other roster additions the Jets could be competitive. 

Competitive, when combined with cap availability created without paying a QB, WR1 and CJ Mosley, could make the Jets a desirable destination in 2023-2024.  

8 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Z Wilson's first incompletion / INT ... G Wilson's first drop ... someone catching a ball against Sauce ... the overreactions will be glorious! ?

Oh, and anytime Becton rests for 5 minutes or sits out a drill.

Yeah, I’m gonna pass on that this year. Take a little break and get ready for the season. No pre season either, last year showed me it’s all nonsense. Gonna wait for the regular season. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah, I’m gonna pass on that this year. Take a little break and get ready for the season. No pre season either, last year showed me it’s all nonsense. Gonna wait for the regular season. 

I sometimes wish I could detach like that ... I do go through phases of being a reader rather than a poster so as not to get dragged into silly circular arguments, but still need my fix of news & updates from the excellent camp reports that get posted here. :-) 

• Upvote 2

The narrative changed 16 months ago when Joe Douglas was handed the keys to the franchise and hired Robert Saleh.  People are just opening their eyes now after this draft but us following this team on a daily basis knew this already.  Well, the smart ones of us at least.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Speaking of changing.  To go along with this magnificent draft, what they should change is the uniform.  Ditch the current half-baked joke of a uni and go back to the slick, clean and super handsome legacy uni.  Those all whites are the sharpest uni in the league and they look like a uni a pro team should be wearing.  

These uniforms are unfortunately going and staying with the current owner.

5 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

The narrative of May is nice and it feels good as a Jet fan

But till the Jets actually translate all this to wins in the fall is when the real narrative can and may change

last year the peak of the 2021 season was Dan Feeney chugging bud heavy at the Isles game 

it literally never got any better than that 

that was like May, right? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, THE BARON said:

im fairly certain uni changes are limited to every 5 years

they can put like an alt-1980's retro out there as an option but they can't just change uniforms at whim 

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Are they in any meaningful way any different than any of the other owners?

Well...they may be the only owners who announced their first pick days before the draft, so thats different. By and large, most owners made their own fortunes, those two are layers deep into the lucky sperm club. There's another. Currently working on a joint. May come up with more later. 

Agreed.  We gotta show some meaningful on field progress to match what looks very competent off the field.  We do that and I believe we'll start to get more FA talent.  JD has really gotten the cycle going with doing a very good job in the draft.  We're in position.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

Agreed.  We gotta show some meaningful on field progress to match what looks very competent off the field.  We do that and I believe we'll start to get more FA talent.  JD has really gotten the cycle going with doing a very good job in the draft.  We're in position.

The narrative of SOJ, our gm sucks, Woody is a clown etc is dead.  And it died 16 months ago.  Dont be the last to get on the bus.

true enough everyone is from missouri but in season's past it was only the fans with the green shaded goggles that saw a truly winning team.  now it looks like the reality is also very green.  good players, good coaches should yield a very good team.

6 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

Rightfully so the Jets have been a team that top tier free agents steered clear of, leveraged to get better deals elsewhere, etc.  We've talked about all the reasons why there's a Jets tax.

There seems to be something brewing and it got me thinking - could the narrative of the Jets be changing (I know we haven't won anything yet) and will that enable us to get free agents that wouldn't even consider us in the past?

That's another positive outcome from having a front office/coaching staff that are making good decisions.

Yes and you know the old saying is just start winning and that old stigma and stink will leave, and while that is true, the real truth is that the only way that ever happens if with smart intelligent roster construction and drafting. It is easy to start making the case that we are an ol desitnation, or at least not a team to avoid when you can name off a brand new rookie ish qb in zach wilson, talk about the young WRs wilson and moore, the TE that they brought in and the Rb;s we now have. 

Joe promised us he woudl fix the jets and change the culture everything has been done to make it possible to win, but really it was all done to fix our reputation as a team. We no longer are the bastard child of NY, no longer a poorly run org. No more loud mouths with no wins...

It was a hard transition because the success of tanny and rex...when those wins stopped we fell so fare down in image. But now we are on the way up. We have a lot of hope right now.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

last year the peak of the 2021 season was Dan Feeney chugging bud heavy at the Isles game 

it literally never got any better than that 

that was like May, right? 

No, everyone was really pumped after last years draft as well 

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

Joe Burrow got free agents to go to Cincinnati 

it’s all about Zach’s perception among the players 

Burrow got free agents to go to Cinci  after they went to the Super Bowl. As many here said, winning is all that matters. If the Bengals went 6-10 this past year, I don't think the presence of Burrow alone would have made much of a difference. 

• Upvote 2

Jesus .. this again ... already ????

I agree they suck ... the old.ones sucked too ... we need a better design.

17 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Burrow got free agents to go to Cinci  after they went to the Super Bowl. As many here said, winning is all that matters. If the Bengals went 6-10 this past year, I don't think the presence of Burrow alone would have made much of a difference. 

Thru specifically said it was because of Joe