Question on next year's draft.

Next year JD gets rid of a lot of dead weight and hopefully makes a few trades and signs a few quality FA’s. We’ve improved the roster so players may be more open to coming here. This coming year is critical for this team to start rising. 

• Upvote 1

The big question for next year's draft.  And for me, the only question.  Will the Jets be looking for a new QB in the most QB rich draft, even surpassing 1983, or will Zach Wilson step-up and cement himself as the Jets franchise QB in 2022 ???

As it looks now, there will be between 7 and 10 potential "franchise" quality QB prospects in the 2023 draft. 

Even if you draft near the bottom of the pack in 2023, there will be a very strong QB prospect for the taking. 

PULLING BIG TIME FOR ZACH

Just now, THE BARON said:

The big question for next year's draft.  And for me, the only question.  Will the Jets be looking for a new QB in the most QB rich draft, even surpassing 1983, or will Zach Wilson step-up and cement himself as the Jets franchise QB in 2022 ???

As it looks now, there will be between 7 and 10 potential "franchise" quality QB prospects in the 2023 draft. 

Even if you draft near the bottom of the pack in 2023, there will be a very strong QB prospect for the taking. 

I'm hopeful for Zach.  Either way we should get an answer this year if he's legit because he has a stacked offense around him, can't believe I'm saying that, and of course barring injury to Zach.

I think we are a 7-8 win team so we shouldn't have as high a pick moving forward which means the top QB's will be gone.  But anyway let's just hope Zach is legit - my hunch is that he is.  On paper this unit should be able to give him BYU time in the pocket with more weapons.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Remember when the 2018 draft was rich with QB’s so screw the 2017 class?  A lot of Nostradamus turned to Nostradumbass.

• Upvote 2

I'm hoping that next year is when we start to look at FA to plug those one or two last gaps, and the draft is about restocking with talent rather than filling specific holes.

It's taken a lot to get to the point of feeling we have a good foundation in place. Last thing we need is for their to already be cracks in that foundation.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

I concur, I’m in the glass is half full side as far as Zach Wilson, but the great thing is the Jets are building a team. So if Zach doesn’t pan out? We can take advantage of the strong QB class of 2023.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, TinFoil said:

I concur, I’m in the glass is half full side as far as Zach Wilson, but the great thing is the Jets are building a team. So if Zach doesn’t pan out? We can take advantage of the strong QB class of 2023.

What exactly does that mean though? 

A couple of years ago, in a "strong QB class", only Josh Allen and Lamar have turned out (so far) to be great.  Rosen was an epic bust.  Darnold and Baker are still trying to become something.  (I still have hope for Sam but we'll see).

In 2004, Eli Manning, Big Ben and Phillip Rivers were great. 

1983 was known is known as the greatest QB class.  Elway, Kelly, and Marino were great.  O'Brien and Eason were pretty good for a while but not real franchise-changers.

So if history is any guide, there are probably only going to be 2-3 great QBs at most.  Unless we're drafting top 2-3, or can trade up to those spots, what are we going to be left with?  There are teams out there like the Eagles (and maybe 1-2 other teams) that have a ton of draft picks that they can trade up with.  Basically you have to either be bad at the right time (like the Colts with Peyton and Luck) or have the ability to trade up.

Barring something very surprising happening (e.g. a ton of injuries), I don't think the Jets will be picking top 3 next year (probably not even top 10).   If we need a QB next year, the likelihood is we're going to have to have a lot of things break our way (e.g. have the equivalent of a Lamar fall to us like he did to the Ravens).

What exactly does that mean though? 
A couple of years ago, in a "strong QB class", only Josh Allen and Lamar have turned out (so far) to be great.  Rosen was an epic bust.  Darnold and Baker are still trying to become something.  (I still have hope for Sam but we'll see).
In 2004, Eli Manning, Big Ben and Phillip Rivers were great. 
1983 was known is known as the greatest QB class.  Elway, Kelly, and Marino were great.  O'Brien and Eason were pretty good for a while but not real franchise-changers.
So if history is any guide, there are probably only going to be 2-3 great QBs at most.  Unless we're drafting top 2-3, or can trade up to those spots, what are we going to be left with?  There are teams out there like the Eagles (and maybe 1-2 other teams) that have a ton of draft picks that they can trade up with.  Basically you have to either be bad at the right time (like the Colts with Peyton and Luck) or have the ability to trade up.
Barring something very surprising happening (e.g. a ton of injuries), I don't think the Jets will be picking top 3 next year (probably not even top 10).   If we need a QB next year, the likelihood is we're going to have to have a lot of things break our way (e.g. have the equivalent of a Lamar fall to us like he did to the Ravens).
Bear in mind where Allen and Jackson were picked ... they were not the highest draft picks yet they've worked out best.

Our we do find ourselves needing a QB next year we should at least have a far stronger surrounding cast and a more established system to bring them into. And if there are at least 2-3 bona fide talents there will still be other guys with more questions that are available later. Like Allen, Jackson etc. Maybe even like Mahomes and Watson who don't go so high due to perceived issues or limitations.

Hopefully all of this is academic anyway and all the QBs mean that talent at other positions is available to us further down the draft.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Bear in mind where Allen and Jackson were picked ... they were not the highest draft picks yet they've worked out best.

Our we do find ourselves needing a QB next year we should at least have a far stronger surrounding cast and a more established system to bring them into. And if there are at least 2-3 bona fide talents there will still be other guys with more questions that are available later. Like Allen, Jackson etc. Maybe even like Mahomes and Watson who don't go so high due to perceived issues or limitations.

Hopefully all of this is academic anyway and all the QBs mean that talent at other positions is available to us further down the draft.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

To TuscanyTile2 This is what I meant. Thank you jamesr

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

I'm hopeful for Zach.  Either way we should get an answer this year if he's legit because he has a stacked offense around him, can't believe I'm saying that, and of course barring injury to Zach.

I think we are a 7-8 win team so we shouldn't have as high a pick moving forward which means the top QB's will be gone.  But anyway let's just hope Zach is legit - my hunch is that he is.  On paper this unit should be able to give him BYU time in the pocket with more weapons.

Just on comment here. Unless there are 7 + teams that need a QB before the Jets draft in 2023, there will be a potential franchise QB waiting to be drafted.  I'm not sure yet if fans realize how many excellent QB's are coming out next year.  It is loaded at QB.  I mean LOADED>

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Remember when the 2018 draft was rich with QB’s so screw the 2017 class?  A lot of Nostradamus turned to Nostradumbass.

2023 will be a whole different animal with respect to QB's

14 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Just on comment here. Unless there are 7 + teams that need a QB before the Jets draft in 2023, there will be a potential franchise QB waiting to be drafted.  I'm not sure yet if fans realize how many excellent QB's are coming out next year.  It is loaded at QB.  I mean LOADED>

Really I only know about the OSU and Bama dudes, the others are really that talented??

The 2023 Draft class is something of an antitheses the one we were just handed; there are a few QBs that will be trade up bait, there's going to be likely some blue chip WRs (early projections would put all top 5 ahead of garrett Wilson and there's at 1, probably 2 1st round grade RBs... B Robinson could be the next LT..

so besides how depressing that -- it doesn't bode for a trade scenario for us :)

19 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Really I only know about the OSU and Bama dudes, the others are really that talented??

Yes.  A pile of them.  And I do mean a pile...

CJ Stroud, Ohio State. ...

Bryce Young, Alabama. ...

Phil Jurkovec, Boston College. ...

Will Levis, Kentucky. ...

Tanner McKee, Stanford. ...

Tyler Van Dyke, Miami (FL) ...

Anthony Richardson, Florida. ...

Devin Leary, North Carolina State.

AND MORE... 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/early-look-at-2023-nfl-draft-qb-prospects-bryce-young-cj-stroud/

• Like 1

Yes.  A pile of them.  And I do mean a pile...

CJ Stroud, Ohio State. ...

Bryce Young, Alabama. ...

Phil Jurkovec, Boston College. ...

Will Levis, Kentucky. ...

Tanner McKee, Stanford. ...

Tyler Van Dyke, Miami (FL) ...

Anthony Richardson, Florida. ...

Devin Leary, North Carolina State.

AND MORE... 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/early-look-at-2023-nfl-draft-qb-prospects-bryce-young-cj-stroud/

This time last year Spencer Rattler (I have no clue why he sucks) was being mocked as the 1st overall pick, nobody has a clue about how deep next years class really will be, and anyone pounding the metaphorical table today is kidding themselves.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

This time last year Spencer Rattler (I have no clue why he sucks) was being mocked as the 1st overall pick, nobody has a clue about how deep next years class really will be, and anyone pounding the metaphorical table today is kidding themselves.

I don,t agree.  The 2023 draft will be loaded at QB.  I have seen many of them play.  There is a lot of prime talent.  Way more than usual.  

Teams that may be looking to draft a QB

Falcons, Jets, Giants, Panthers, Seahawks, Texans, Commanders, Dolphins, Titans, Detroit, Vikings, Saints, Eagles

Did I leave any out ???

Considering the prospects that I know of, I see 4 QB's going in the top ten of the 2023 draft and 7 QB's total being drafted in round one to early round two next year.  

I don,t agree.  The 2023 draft will be loaded at QB.  I have seen many of them play.  There is a lot of prime talent.  Way more than usual.  

Teams that may be looking to draft a QB

Falcons, Jets, Giants, Panthers, Seahawks, Texans, Commanders, Dolphins, Titans, Detroit, Vikings, Saints, Eagles

Did I leave any out ???

Considering the prospects that I know of, I see 4 QB's going in the top ten of the 2023 draft and 7 QB's total being drafted in round one to early round two next year.  

You never know. Tons of guys have down years and fall off. Guys also have great years and shoot up. This far out it’s impossible to tell. Like someone else said rattler was mahomes 2.0 this time last year then fell off a cliff. Hack was a sure fire #1 overall pick after his freshman year 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

You never know. Tons of guys have down years and fall off. Guys also have great years and shoot up. This far out it’s impossible to tell. Like someone else said rattler was mahomes 2.0 this time last year then fell off a cliff. Hack was a sure fire #1 overall pick after his freshman year 

Yes, agree.  Down years and guys we don't hear about yet making names for themselves.   The compelling fact here is that there are MANY MORE hot prospects that we know about than there are in a typical year.  This year there were ZERO hot QB prospects.  A year prior there were four.  Numbers, numbers, numbers

4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

'This draft is deep at......'

Every year, no matter what and no one ever brings it up after.