What Jets position group is MOST improved

19 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

I look at several positions that have been seriously upgraded...that I'm excited about. 

CB: With the signing of DJ Reed.  Then you get a #1 corner in Sauce.  Jets can now cover outside and allow the pass rush to be more effective in pressuring the QB.

TE: Jets sign Uzomah and Conklin.  Then draft a quality 2-way TE in Ruckert.  He could be the featured starter in 2023.  Jets can be in 12 man formations continuously...if LaFleur so desires...due to having three quality TEs that can both block and catch.

OL:  Jets sign Pro Bowl RG Laken Tomlinson.  And the return of Becton...is like adding a quality Tackle in 2022.  Then Jets drafted a solid swing tackle in Max Mitchell...who can be a starter in a year or two.  Jets now have the hogs and depth...to implement a dominant running game...to ram down opponents throats.

Edge:  Jets signed Jacob Martin...with his explosiveness off the LOS.  Jets get back Bryce Huff...who showed promise.  Jets resign Vinny Curry...a capable veteran who knows this system.  Then draft Jermaine Johnson...a top 2-4 rated Edge in the draft.  Add Carl Lawson...who never played last year.  If Lawson is just 80% himself...that will make him still dangerous coming off the edge.  These additions should allow JFM and Q to be a dynamic duo inside.   Pass rush could be real scary good this year.

WR: Garrett Wilson was consensus #1 wideout in the draft.  IMO he is the most versatile receiver on the team.  With 4.3 type speed and big play ability.  Add him to Moore...you have a dynamic duo.  GW addition also takes pressure off of Corey Davis to be that #1.  Davis will play much better because of this.

Last...and certainly not least exciting to me...

RB:  The presence of Breece Hall...puts the most pressure on opposing defenses.  This is due to him being the most dangerous weapon on offense.  With his power...athleticism and 4.39 speed...he can make explosive plays both with the run or pass.   Any time LaFleur can scheme Hall into space...it can result into a long gain TD play.  Hall's presence on the Jets will force opposing DCs to have to prepare special game plans to contain him. Opening up the offense to the rest of Jets weapons.  Especially with play action...wideouts like GW-Moore...will flourish making big plays downfield. 

Adding Hall with Carter...running behind Jets revamped OL...should result in it being a very strong one.  Taking pressure off of ZW.  And dictating how opposing defenses have to play...in order to try and contain the run attack.  Allowing ZW to execute play action way more effectively. 

Oh yea...I'm excited alright.  Cause this team has been transformed into a playoff potential team.  With the capability to ball out and compete with anybody.  At least on paper.  So I'm excited to see how it will unfold in real game situations.

Can't wait!  

Agreed and love the enthusiasm!

How about Safety?  Addition of Whitehead, return of Joyner and possible emergence of Pinnock (possibly by sheer luck).

QB:  Jump from rookie to sophomore season with the right supporting staff.

Only 2 positions I don’t have enthusiasm for are LB and Run Stuffing DT.  I do see huge potential in Quincy Williams but hope his up and down play isn’t a function of poor instincts, something that might be difficult to teach.  

• Upvote 2

Every position group has been upgraded - except maybe LB...

And that's not including rookies becoming 2nd year guys and 2nd year guys becoming vets..

And...

It's not including former #1's now being  #2's - and former number 2's become #3's...

i.e. - look at WR's - went from Corey Davis being #1 to being #3.

Really good stuff...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Buffalo Jet Fan said:

Which revamped position group are you most excited about for the '22 Jets?  I'm leaning towards the CB room!

I agree, 2 starters added the top prospect in the draft "Sauce" plus DJ Reed. Even Hall was a pretty good starter and he is now number 3 as far as outside CBs.

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Agreed and love the enthusiasm!

How about Safety?  Addition of Whitehead, return of Joyner and possible emergence of Pinnock (possibly by sheer luck).

QB:  Jump from rookie to sophomore season with the right supporting staff.

Only 2 positions I don’t have enthusiasm for are LB and Run Stuffing DT.  I do see huge potential in Quincy Williams but hope his up and down play isn’t a function of poor instincts, something that might be difficult to teach.  

No doubt I should've included safety.  

Also I forgot to mention the 4th round Clemens addition at Edge.  He plays with violent savagery.  With that kind of passion and energy...I'm sure it intrigued JD-Saleh that his game can translate and be further developed into a solid addition to a 24/7 relentless pass rush. And be a potential starter a year or two from now.

I've enthusiastically posted many times that ZW is going to roll with this revamped offense.  How he finished the season displaying being much more calm and poised in the pocket.  Even when his OL and weapons were dropping out with injuries.  And all that time not throwing an INT during those last five games.  Very encouraging signs for him to manage the offense well this year.  And play to the strengths of his weapons.  Again...ZW is going to shine big time...IMO.

• Upvote 2

Tight end has been a complete top to bottom overhaul so that’s been fun. I think everyone is good but maybe nobody is elite.

Adding two guys ahead of last year’s corner group completely changes the complexion of that position. Massive.

The edge group is basically completely different than the guys who played last year if Lawson is healthy. And that is a good thing.

If Breece Hall is elite, which is a high bar, Carter is probably a league average starter and the Jets probably have one of the best 1-2 punches at running back in the NFL.

One guard spot was the weak link on last year’s OL

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GreenReaper said:

No doubt I should've included safety.  

Also I forgot to mention the 4th round Clemens addition at Edge.  He plays with violent savagery.  With that kind of passion and energy...I'm sure it intrigued JD-Saleh that his game can translate and be further developed into a solid addition to a 24/7 relentless pass rush. And be a potential starter a year or two from now.

I've enthusiastically posted many times that ZW is going to roll with this revamped offense.  How he finished the season displaying being much more calm and poised in the pocket.  Even when his OL and weapons were dropping out with injuries.  And all that time not throwing an INT during those last five games.  Very encouraging signs for him to manage the offense well this year.  And play to the strengths of his weapons.  Again...ZW is going to shine big time...IMO.

Great point on Clemens.  I personally imagine them believing he could be a replacement for Lawson in a year or 2.  

• Upvote 1

I thinks it's TE. However, with the other offensive and defensive upgrades I think we went from a Bottom 3 roster to a Top 15 plus roster and possibly higher. Our offense will be a nightmare to defend especially if we go no huddle. We can do the thing that the Patriots used to where they would lock you into one formation. For an entire series, then go completely different the next. We xan field effective 12 10 11 and 21 personnel sets

• Upvote 1

Several.  But I think CB and TE are the obvious answers.

TE - We went from Ryan Griffin, Daniel Brown and Kenny Yeboah to CJ Uzomah, Conklin, and Ruckert.

CB - Bryce Hall was CB1 last year.  He’s a backup this year.

Huge improvements in those two groups.  Literally (figuratively) night and day! ;)